Avanti R2, 1963, refresh

Frank, double checked the plugs, they are correct to the car, and they are the same size as the old ones.  I just did not have them lined up.

But, I did get the other side four plugs out and the new ones in.  With that done I fired her up.  She smoked with all the Blaster in the cylinders, but quickly cleaned up and ran just great.  I lost a little coolant when I changed the two temp sensors and now the dash light is on warning of a low coolant level.  So I added more coolant, but it did not go off.  I have three gallons of the special VW coolant so I think I will change it out.  I have a special tool that is also suppose to push the new fluid into the engine and eliminate air pockets.  I will have to read the instructions before I do that.

With the car running, I put back on all the plastic covers over the cowl and the engine.  I am just about about of parts.  I could finish today if I had the headlight ballast.  Guess I will just have to wait until Monday to finish the top side.  Other than the headlight, I have three other projects to go on the Passat.  First I have to soder a bad connection in the rear brake light circuit board, replace the front cv axle with the new one I have, and check the front and rear brake pads.  Then I plan to spend a day cleaning and detailing the car.  So I still have three our four days before I can say that the Passat is done.  

On the 1953 Ford F100.  The engine and transmission are out of the truck.  Dan, the mechanic, is cutting out all the old and cobbled together engine mounts on the frame and cleaning up the frame in general to accept the new Crown Victoria front end assembly.  Camaro Steve is going to spent the day cleaning up the 351W engine and getting it ready for some minor updates and paint.  He has ordered the C6 transmission (I think) and a new Petronix distributor.  Right now he is planning on reusing the converter that is on the truck now.  Plans are to replace the wiring from the firewall forward to the lights and ignition, a new mini-starter, new alternator, and seals and gaskets for the engine.  Hope to have pics early next week.

Tomorrow the 2002 Chev Trailblazer goes into the garage.  I have to repair the leaking and rusty power steering line.  I think I have everything to make the repair.  Now if I can just get to the line as it runs under all the electrcal fuse boxes and on top of the frame.  Looks like another job for small hands.  Alice !!!!!!!!!

P1070139.JPG

Sunday, PM, June 5th.  Spent a little time on the Passat.  I think I permanently fixed my brake light problem by inserting a piece of copper wiring into the broken circuit.  It is a press fit as I am afraid that the heat to solder will destroy the plastic holding everything together.  I found a piece of copper wire and used a big hammer to make it flat and a perfect fit into the crack.  Everything now works as it should and more importantly it will pass the state inspection.

And Camaro Steve sent me pics of his F100 engine.  He spent the morning cleaning it.  Looks much better.

P1070140.JPG

P1070144.JPG

P1070146.JPG

P1070148.JPG

P1070149.JPG

P1070143.JPG

P1070147.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

It is Tuesday, AM.  Got the new Passat headlight HID ballast yesterday.  Goes in today.  Much different looking than the old one so have to figure out how I am going to mount it.  Sure hope it works.  

And we have a report from Greg to start our week.

"Subject: Way belated udate

Sorry about being out of touch.   Not only is this my busy season (warm weather),  but with the Hotmail turning into Outlook and upgraded again and again,   getting out emails just isn't fun anymore.   Not only has it slowed this computer to a crawl,  but they've rearranged everything that this computer illiterate had sorted out.   Nothing like the enjoyment of a lengthy composition being ready to release into thin air,  but when this creature of habit automatically pushes the button that used to be SEND only to realize it had been relocated and NEW is in its place.....and your mail vanishes into oblivion,   that's when I shut 'er down and go to bed.

And to admit that yes,  there must be another way,  but I address each message one address at a time...and the computer screen jumps all over the place......   you'll just have to be satisfied with an occasional note.

Now for the good news.  The Stoddard Dayton has been pulled from storage and is being prepared for duty.    My friend Glenn Miller and I are going to retrace the 1909 Cobe Trophy race route,  a twenty-three mile circuit in Northwest Indiana.   This was the predecessor to the Indy 500.  We are going to do this in our brass era racers.  We have also invited a few others to join us,  so we'll see if any others want to come out to play.

The car having been dormant for a long time,  Nathan and I have been spending time  changing oil,  turning grease cups,  cleaning  and polishing brass.   And tonight's milestone....Nathan got checked out and soloed .   Not an easy car to drive,  he did very well with clutch, throttle, spark  and its fragile gearbox.  It will be nice having him experience the event.

Also enclosed is a pic of Glenn's newly completed 1909 EMF Factory Racer."

zzzzzzinkki818.jpg

IMG_4255.JPG

zzzzzzinkki819.jpg

• Like 1

Headed out to the garage this morning hoping to finish up the Passat.  Put in the new ballast ------ nothing.  Put in a known HID bulb -------- nothing.  What am I missing. Just not getting power, but all the other lights work.  Decided to look at the fuse box.  Turns out each headlight pod has two fuses, one for the high beam light and one for the HID light.  Stupid me, I should have checked power first, I just assumed that with one HID out and one working it was either the bulb or the ballast.  In the Army, we had a saying, "only asses assume", well call me one.  Turned out to be a 15 amp fuse.  On the plus side, I have two new HID bulbs and the lights are much brighter.  Oh, and am missing only one bolt for the front grill, amazing.

Everything is working now, and I can head into town tomorrow and get the car inspected for another year.

Spent the last four hours putting the car all back together.  Inside is all clean, but have to wash the outside this PM.  I still have the CV axle to do, but that can wait for a couple of weeks.  

And tomorrow I hope to change oil in the Suburban as Greg wants to borrow it and the trailer for his race car trip to Indiana.  

Oh yes, there is still the Trailblazer with the bad power steering hose.  Hope to get it in the garage on Thursday.  No rest on the car front.  

And we are going to host a cars and pizza event on Saturday.  Going to meet in our local town and tour the back roads and stop for lunch, and then return home.  Much better than just sitting and having coffee.  On Sunday, we have been invited to attend a huge pony and horse show.  They are having a "horse and horse power" event, the Jaguar has been invited.  Going to be a fun day.

P1070154.JPG

P1070155.JPG

P1070157.JPG

P1070158.JPG

Still Tuesday, but PM.  And we have a "Barney" Ford F100 report from Daniel, the master fabricator.  

Truck update,

Got the truck down to the front frame, started cutting off unnecessary brackets, most of the stuff is heavy plate, stick welded on, it will be a chore to get it off.

I have the old Bronco front suspension separated from the frame section that it was attached to.  Old engine mounts gone.  

The truck now take's a Crown Vic master cylinder, pic's of it installed ready for brake lines.

Thanks Daniel "

frame.jpg

Front.jpg

Master.jpg

It is Wednesday, June 8th, Inspection day for the Passat.  Car is running great with its new plugs and no check engine lights.  And it passed with flying colors.  They did say that it would need rear brakes in a year or so.  Just so happens I have a new rotor and pads on the shelf.  Sounds like a project for a rainy day.  

I have the Trailblazer up on the lift and looking for ATF leaks.  I found where the power steering is seeping, right on the frame and just below all the electric wiring for the car.  But I think I can get to the line to cut out the rusty piece.  And while poking around found a transmission coolant line that is also rusty and leaking,  Of course it is next to the exhaust and the cat.  The seepage is hidden behind heat shielding.  Had to cut it to find the problem.  I was going to cut it out right now, but that cat is too hot.  Going to wait a couple of hours.  I will have to figure out how I am going to protect the rubber hose from the heat.  

I would and should replace the metal coolant lines, but you have to drop the transmission to get at the fittings, which are near the top of the engine.  Not going to do that.  Here are some pics.

P1070159.JPG

P1070160.JPG

P1070161.JPG

P1070162.JPG

P1070163.JPG

Still Wednesday, but PM.  Rather than ripping into the Trailblazer and leave it to await parts, I decided to order the heat shield material and metal ties.  When I get everything I will put it back into the garage.  But I can use it in the meantime.

So off to work on the John Deere tractor.  I have to replace the motor to transmission drive belt as the broken pulley ate the belt to about half its size.  So rather than crawl under it I am using the Kubota tractor to lift and support it while I work away.  I have the loader supported and am using a very heavy chain for lifting.

I cut the old belt out, loosened all the pulleys and am prepared to put the new belt on tomorrow.  Enough for today.  

P1070164.JPG

P1070165.JPG

P1070167.JPG

P1070169.JPG

P1070168.JPG

• Like 1

Joe, be careful what you post.  Alice keeps talking about having goats.  I tell her that she all ready has one, me.  Now you give her a reason for at least a couple more.  I am in trouble now.

Worked a few hours on the John Deere 325 tractor.  After watching several YouTube videos I decided to tackle the installation of the drive belt.  Yes, you have to remove the PTO in order to get the belt on the engine pulley.  No way to stretch that belt.  But with a little PB Blaster and about an hour soak it came off with a tap of the rubber hammer.  I was ready to rig up a puller.  Once the PTO was off I was able to get the belt on and around all the pulleys.  Not a hard job, but putting on the big tension spring had me stumped.  No way was I able to pull or pry that spring back on the main bar of the chassis.  I finally ended up with a small ratchet strap and pulled the end of the spring over the bar.  Done.  I then took her out for a test drive.  Ran great.  

Tomorrow I will put the mower deck back on.

P1070169.JPG

P1070170.JPG

P1070172.JPG

P1070173.JPG

P1070174.JPG

P1070171.JPG

Still Thursday, Oh no.........  Camaro Steve reports that Barney's gas tank is leaking badly, and very soft in other parts.  I found a replacement for $215.  He sent me a note and said he had ordered it.  He also said that he found a rebuilt 351W for $600, he is going to go take a look.  

Here is a pic of the leaking gas tank on the Ford F100.  You can see the steam of fuel coming out and rust all along the seam.  Better to replace it rather than trying to repair it.  

IMG_0165.JPG

It is Friday, PM on June 10th.  Got the mower deck on the John Deere tractor and mowed about a half an acre of grass.  Works just fine.  No issues with the belts.

And I got a couple of pics from Camaro Steve re his Ford F100 conversion.  Daniel, the mechanic, has the Crown Vic under the car for a test fit.  And Steve has picked up a set of roller wheels and tires.  They look good enough to keep.

Had the 2003 Suburban up on the lift as I changed oil for Greg's upcoming trip.  Noticed that most of the brake lines were really rusty.  Looks like they need to be replaced.  A very common problem here in the Northeast.  I can get a full set for around $300.  Corvette Wayne did his Suburban last year, took him a day.  And he had to drop the fuel tank. Ugh.  Another project.  

20160610_174920.jpg

IMG_0168.JPG

Still Friday.  Just received a report from Daniel re Barney, the F100.

"Have the front suspension near it's final location, it's close. Had to take a wedge out of the frame to have a big enough flat spot for the new front suspension.  There were factory bumper holes that I am using as centerline mark/hole, the new setup has dowels to go into those holes.  Setting as is, there is 8 inches under the running boards, and you can see where the rear needs to be.   I had to let the jack down all the way to get the running boards level. The steering looks lined up as is, and is much better than what we started with."

4t.jpg

3t.jpg

2t.jpg

1t.jpg

It is Saturday, PM and 97 degrees at 7 PM.  Just too hot! 

We got together with old car friends and motored to a little town close by.  I guess that we toured about 20 miles of country roads.  Ended up at a NY Pizza Cafe and had lunch.  What a great time.  Here are the pics of the cars attending.

Tomorrow the Jaguar is in a big show at the Middleburg Pony and Horse Show.  It is an all day event, probably 8 AM to 10 PM.  Good thing we are retired.

P1070175.JPG

P1070176.JPG

P1070177.JPG

P1070178.JPG

P1070179.JPG

P1070180.JPG

P1070181.JPG

P1070183.JPG

P1070184.JPG

P1070182.JPG

Guest 67STEVO

hey this is 67stevo, good time today, nice cars and great food. Johnny boy is also following my 1953 ford f100. always guiding and finding the right parts for me. good guy.

67And a few more pics from our little tour yesterday.  From Jon Battle in his 1937 Hudson Terraplane convertible.  Owned since he was in college.

67Stevo, please feel free to comment on Barney anytime.  Going to be a nice driving little truck when you are done.  Glad you are saving it, even in its modified form.  Now lets talk about the two post lift for your garage.

Off to the horse races and horsepower show today.

IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

It is Sunday, June 12th.  Spent the day with the horsey crowd.  A big event in the area.  The oldest jumping competition in the US.  Started 1853.  The Grand Prix for the pro-jumpers was this afternoon.  We stayed for a few individual events, but the heat got to us and we headed home about 3 PM.  Here are the pictures I took.  Lots of nice cars in the little show field.  Attendance was about 10,000 people give or take.  The purse for the Grand Prix event was $216,000.

And there was a white XK120 Coupe there too.  Only lives about 12 miles away.  Original car for the most part.  Not restored.  Original interior except for door panels.

P1070185.JPG

P1070186.JPG

P1070188.JPG

P1070189.JPG

P1070191.JPG

P1070192.JPG

P1070193.JPG

P1070194.JPG

P1070187.JPG

P1070190.JPG

P1070195.JPG

P1070196.JPG

P1070197.JPG

P1070198.JPG

P1070199.JPG

P1070200.JPG

P1070201.JPG

P1070202.JPG

P1070203.JPG

P1070204.JPG

P1070205.JPG

P1070206.JPG

P1070207.JPG

P1070208.JPG

P1070209.JPG

P1070210.JPG

P1070211.JPG

P1070212.JPG

P1070213.JPG

P1070214.JPG

P1070215.JPG

P1070216.JPG

P1070217.JPG

P1070218.JPG

P1070220.JPG

P1070221.JPG

P1070222.JPG

P1070223.JPG

P1070224.JPG

P1070225.JPG

P1070226.JPG

P1070227.JPG

P1070228.JPG

P1070229.JPG

P1070230.JPG

P1070231.JPG

P1070232.JPG

P1070233.JPG

P1070234.JPG

P1070235.JPG

P1070236.JPG

P1070237.JPG

P1070238.JPG

P1070239.JPG

P1070240.JPG

P1070241.JPG

P1070242.JPG

P1070243.JPG

P1070244.JPG

P1070245.JPG

P1070246.JPG

P1070247.JPG

P1070248.JPG

P1070249.JPG

P1070250.JPG

P1070251.JPG

P1070252.JPG

P1070253.JPG

P1070254.JPG

P1070255.JPG

P1070256.JPG

P1070257.JPG

P1070258.JPG

P1070259.JPG

P1070260.JPG

P1070261.JPG

P1070262.JPG

P1070263.JPG

P1070265.JPG

P1070266.JPG

P1070268.JPG

P1070269.JPG

P1070270.JPG

P1070271.JPG

P1070275.JPG

It is Tuesday, PM.  Oh boy, we have a report from Daniel on Steve's F100 truck.  He is really moving along with some fine fabricating skills.  Corvette Wayne is helping out also.  

"Thanks  Wayne , for your help today , as seen in the pic's the front suspension is now bolted in, sway bar hooked up.  I have the back of the lower control arms to make mounts for, and weld some gussets in at the top of the tubing that holds the front suspension in.  And will move on to the gas tank and rear end.  Thanks Daniel."

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

614c.jpg

614d.jpg

614f.jpg

It is Tuesday, June 21st, AM.  Getting ready to go fishing.  On vacation in North Carolina.  But I have been following our friend's progress in the Peking to Paris Rally.  The daily report is at http://www2.endurorally.com/pp2016/reports.html  They are on day 6 of 36.  They are doing OK, but have blown all four shocks on their trip through Mongolia.

• Like 1

Still Tuesday.  While Camaro Steve and I are out fishing, Daniel and Wayne are working on Barney.  Barney now is back on it's new wheels.  A new rear axle and suspension has been fitted and the front end is ready for the engine installation.  Steve say that the engine will get a new distributor, water pump, plugs, carburetor, coil, exhaust headers, valve stem seals and a new Ford blue paint job.  A new steering column and transmission are on order and should be in mid-week.

20160621_094009.jpg

20160621_140450.jpg

20160621_140113.jpg

Daniel's update on Barney.  

"Truck is now sitting on the new set up, fire wall, frame, cleaned up and painted, front suspension cleaned up, bolted up for the last time, rear cleaned up, painted, bolted in, still have to make and weld on shock mounts on rear.  No steering yet, parts on the way .Special thanks to Wayne  for helping yesterday and today."

b3.jpg

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

It is Friday, June 24th.  Restorer Daniel reports progress on Barney, the 1953 Ford F100

Date: June 23, 2016 at 10:47:37 PM EDT

Subject: Truck update

The motor has the new valve stem seals.  I took the oil pan off and ended up running a scotch brite wheel over it and removed the paint as the old paint was flaky , coming off in places , rusty, etc, and put the new pan gasket seal on. Cleaned up the motor some more , removed the distributor , and some other parts , and painted the motor , see pic , have put the motor mounts on with new grade 8 hardware , Just from here out everything we put on the motor needs to be clean or new , will look good.

Also got the new steering column and it's a 2 inch , the old column was 1 and a half inches , the plate where it goes thru the floor was 5 or 6 part's , welded , riveted , screwed , together  , and was set up for a clutch pedal , manual shifter linkage , etc , I made you a new one out of 14 gauge sheetmetal , see pic , had to put the bend in , to follow the floor , if you can see that in the pic,new column in background. It's a lot easier to make a new part , looks better , works better , less open unused holes ,etc , done. I have to figure out what steering u joints we'll need , and a couple residual pressure valves , rear brake flex/rubber lines ,run new brake hardlines, and that should wrap up steering and brakes. and still have to figure out about the gas tank sender , replace ?? what ohm ?? I guess we'll need a crown Vic drive shaft as a place to start for a drive shaft. I started working on the valve cover's too . and I'm sure a few thing I forgot to tell you about. I just came in from the shop , I had a machining job , the guy waited for , had to be tonight. I need to get the stuff for your car ordered , will try in the morning.

Thanks Daniel

=

steering.jpg

motor.jpg

It is Saturday, June 25th.  Camaro Steve and I went over to Daniel's workshop to see the progress done on Barney, the F100.  We also stopped at the local used tire place and picked up a tire for one of the used rims that Barney will sit on.  

Barney looks pretty good.  The engine has new valve seals, water pump, exhaust headers and sports a new paint job.  Steve has a new Holly carb for it too, and has ordered a new distributor.  The new transmission is on order and should be in next week.  The new gas tank is here too and sitting in the box of the truck.  Daniel is fitting the new steering column and has it just about in.  On track for a end of July finish.

While there we took a look at the wiring and Steve has decided to replace it all.  He is going to use a OEM style for the font of the truck, and a new style system for the rest of the system including the dash. It will also have some extra circuits for an HVAC unit.   

The truck has Auto Meter gauges in it, and they will be kept.  Just have to order a new sending unit for the gas tank as the old one is broken.

Steve is going to pull all the old wiring today, Saturday, and continue with his painting and cleaning.  And is going to be selling all the old 1971 Bronco running gear so he has to clean that stuff up.  Right now it is all sitting outside the shop.  

P1070300.JPG

P1070301.JPG

P1070302.JPG

P1070303.JPG

P1070304.JPG

P1070306.JPG

P1070308.JPG

P1070309.JPG

P1070310.JPG

P1070311.JPG

P1070313.JPG

It is Sunday morning, June 26th.

Greg got back from his race car week trip.  Here is his short report.

" Made it back in after a grueling but very enjoyable trip .    I'm enclosing a few pics in advance of our Cobe Trophy Race  Re-visted  description.

Photo of Nathan taking the "Brick Wall Turn"  in the Stoddard-Dayton as did Engelbrect in 1909 and one of us on the "Nine Mile Stretch" from Lowell to Crown Point.   Letting it out,  Nate appears to be enjoying himself,  and he's just about to blow the goggles off my head.   I did catch them before they freed themselves from the spare tire bracket."

zzzzzzinkki885.jpg

lowell3.jpg

zzzzzzinkki883.jpg

It is Tuesday, AM, June 28th.  What have I been doing?  Not much.  Barely been in the garage.  Been mowing like crazy.  The rain and the heat have made the pastures grow like crazy.  So I have been mowing since we got back from vacation.   But I did find the time to order the transmission cooler lines for the Trailblazer.  They should be at the farm in a couple of days.  Have not ordered the power steering lines yet as their are a couple of versions so I have to figure out what I have.

But not Greg.  Here is his latest race report. 

"OK,   a rare getaway for me is over.  Now let's see what I can recall of it.

After running across a photo of the Stoddard-Dayton team camped at Binyon Hotel ,  Cedar Lake,  Indiana in 1909,  Glenn Miller and I started researching the event.  The Cobe Trophy Race which was the predecessor to the Indy 500.  Held on public highways ,  it was a twenty-three mile circuit.  I knew that my Stoddard was going to retrace it,  Glenn decided that he would use his newly finished red '09 EMF Factory Racer to join me.

Then we thought it would be cool to invite others with period racers in their possession to tag along.  A date was set and we worked towards a good turnout and a good time.  The 2016 Cobe Trophy Revisitation contestants:    From Virginia,  representing Stoddard-Dayton:   Greg, Barb and Nathan.   From From Michigan were the EMF Millers,  Glenn and son Dan.   And from California .....Brian Blain with Charles Test were two blue Nationals.  A 1916 and a 1911 Indianapolis veteran which  was on the sick list having   just come from an Indy event where Brian had pushed it to a hundred miles per .

\

The morning of the first Cobe lap,   cars were unloaded at a parking lot near the original starting line.    Prepped ,  lubed and pumped up,  the three cars were off to retrace the course.    Not having been driven  for a few years Stoddard Old 17  soon started acting up.   Starving for fuel but still running,  we stumbled along.    Then Barb and I found we were stumbling along in the pouring rain.     The nine mile  home stretch sure seemed longer than that.  We were soaked, much to Barb's dismay.  Back at the parking area and the shelter of the trailer,   we were done racing .

Luckily our friend Art Bergstrom (our hobby's best old school pattern maker)  lived nearby and joined us.  He also kept us entertained by leading us on a tour of private collections.  Incredible cars,  motorcycles,  tractors, buggies,  you name it.  Most being handed down in farm families where they stay to this day.  Art also found us fine dining.   So day one was a good one,  but I was disappointed in the car's performance and that Nathan didn't get a shot at the course.   Tomorrow was another day.

Tonight's photos are of the cars.   More to follow."

zzzzzzinkki832.jpg

zzzzzzinkki833.jpg

zzzzzzinkki835.jpg

zzzzzzinkki838.jpg

zzzzzzinkki839.jpg

Wednesday, PM, June 29th.  Just a quick note before I go out to continue mowing.  

Greg returned the truck and trailer last night.  He said that they had a great time with the old race cars going on the roads they raced on in 1911.  And he had some excitement as the Stoddard Dayton had fuel delivery problems.  Turned out that he lost the gasket on the filler pipe so the tank would not hold pressure.  He used a WalMart plastic bag over the pipe to seal it.  Success, the tank held pressure.  

Oh he said that the trailer blew two tires, and one of the truck mirrors blew off on the freeway.  They went 1,800 miles, and got 9.1 mph.  They must have been pushing it.  I average at least 10 mpg.  So this morning I ordered one new trailer tire and a new set of trailer mirrors for the Suburban.  The mirrors will be permanent, no more add ons to blow off.  And now the trailer will have four fresh tires.  

PM update:  UPS delivered three transmission coolant lines for the Trailblazer, and I bought a Passat W8 headlight ballast off of Ebay.  Coming from Canada.  $40 to my door, new price is almost $400 if you can find one.  This will be a great spare.

And Camaro Steve just let me know that he sold the huge Barney, F100 rims and tires.  He is happy as he now has some more pennies to spend.

Edited by unimogjohn
update (see edit history)

It is the fourth of July.  Happy Birthday America!  Not much going on here in the old car front.  Most folks are busy on their farms.  You know the old adage, "make hay while the sun shines".

I bid on and lost out on a 2004 Passat W8 sedan.  It was a pristine, low mileage, 6 speed in California.  Probably a good thing that I did not get it.  But in a Passat buying mood, I did score a set of new tires and rims for our Passat.  Pick them up on Tuesday, a Craig's list find.  Notice they were on a Passat W8 wagon.

Saw Camaro Steve last night.  He said that the transmission and wiring harness arrived at the shop.  He also visited the yard and picked up a police Crown Vic aluminum drive line.  His running gear is now complete.  Daniel has finished putting in the steering column and has started to bend brake lines and connect up the brakes.  Steve is now on the hunt for a period looking steering wheel that will fit his GM column.

00z0z_hXx1MMm4hLG_600x450.jpg

And we have a trip report from Greg.  I could not get the pictures to line up with Greg's comments, but you can figure them out.

"Subject: Crown Point wrap up

Our first day retracing of the Crown Point, Indiana race was only successful in that we all made it back,  even though rained on.   I had reserved the next day as a personal rain date and that was good planning.    Under overcast skies,   the Millers joined us for another attempt .   The National team departed to their next gig.  The Miller Meet in Milwaukee.

I had discussed our car's poor performance to Nathan  and when I reasoned that it's  pressured fuel  system seemed to be at fault,  he brought it to my attention that  a gasket was missing from our gas cap.     That would do it.    With no gasket material at hand and no time to make one anyway,   I improvised by dumping the contents from a Walmart shopping bag,  stretched it over the filler neck and screwed the cap over it.  Then,  with Nathan on board the Stoddard this time and Barb left behind to her own supervision,   we were off,  EMF in the lead.  The Stoddard ran great.

Following the course,  we passed through the new and improved  "Dangerous S Curve" (somewhat straightened out over the years)  and "Ray's Corner".  One of the highlights of the course was the site of the Stoddard-Dayton training camp,  the Binyon Hotel  on Cedar Lake.   No longer standing,  but by studying old photos,  we located it.   We stopped for a photo op.    

At this point,  Nate and I changed seats .  He had gotten a few minutes behind the wheel back at our local airport, but this was his first time to find high gear and his first time in traffic.  For some reason,  getting this car into high gear is a crapshoot.  Shift from second to high at too low a speed and because of the tall rear axle ratio (2.5 :1) the car will lug and stall.   Carry second too far and the high speed gear just refuses.   A missed shift means stopping the car and trying them again.     These old cars each have a personality and often they just won't  tell you what they want.  They make you work for it.   Nate had his share of trouble with it  and I was afraid he was going to give up on it,  but I was pleased that he stayed with it and figured it out.  

We found ourselves in front of  the EMF team  as we drove into Lowell,  the site of the circuits'  "Brick wall turn".  We couldn't miss that,  then proceeded on to the improved "Cemetery Turn" (also softened for modern traffic) to make our turn onto the "Nine Mile Stretch".   Dead straight back to the Crown Point starting line.With high gear secured,   the car was feeling it's oats  but Nate held it in check,  the speedometer reading in the 50's.   Shutting it off back at our parking area,  he said that was fast enough.   It had a lot more in it and I had been  rooting for him to let it out even more.

Loading up and saying good by to Glenn and Dan,  our playtime was over and we had miles to do.   My youngest son Logan had just relocated to Chicago from LA and a reunion was next.    Getting there took longer than expected.   Our second trailer flat tire and another search for one  but we  made Evanston and enjoyed a nice visit.

Nathan had voiced his hopes that we could walk through the Studebaker Museum in South Bend on the way home.  Who was I to say no?    A very nice facility,  even if you aren't into the marque like we are.

Then came the hardest part of the whole trip.  We decided to head for home.  Something like sixteen hours of driving with few stops for necessities.   Arrived home on Saturday morning.   Nate and I were pretty tired,  her first ever cross country marathon.....Barb was toasted.  It hadn't been a good idea.

Now that we've been back a while and slowly catching up with our lives,  I've had time to reflect.  Even though the Stoddard  isn't  finished,    it has been out long enough to leave me with a couple of those moments that stick  forever.   Like the time at the Milwaukee track when Barb and I were overtaking  a speeding T head Mercer Raceabout  (overhauling they used to call it).  Riding with Nate driving a car that I'd refurbished brought to mind another pleasant memory.  Summer of '67,  my Model A  was semi finished in speedster form, and one pleasant day found me driving my Dad in a car I'd refurbished.    I was soon to be shipped off to basic training and  it was the last really good day  I was ever to have with him.  Some good things just stay with you.

Photos included:

Dan and Glenn Miller in the EMF

The Stoddard team

Nathan posing at the old Stoddard Team Camp

Engelbrect posing at the old Stoddard Team Camp

Nathan rounding the "Brick wall turn".

Engelbrect rounding the "Brick wall turn".

The "Nine mile stretch".

zzzzzzinkki880.jpg

zzzzzzinkki883.jpg

stoddard5.jpg

zzzzzzinkki857.jpg

zzzzzzinkki862.jpg

zzzzzzinkki885.jpg

lowell3.jpg

• Like 1

John:

You have mentioned in previous posts that you have several lawn mowers hanging around the farm.  Well this guy has an idea that you might consider and that may free you up sooner from mowing so you can get back to your car projects:

Mowing.JPG

• Like 2

I just received a note from Restorer Dan about his work progress on the 1953 Ford F100.  Talked to Camaro Steve, he said that the only thing left to buy was a steering wheel.  I picked what I liked from the Jegs catalog.  A nice wheel is about $150.  I went for the period look, so we will see what Steve pick out in a couple of days.  

"Attached a few pic's , front brakes plumed , secured , clamped , etc. Also the trans is here , and a box of part's required to install it. I hope to work on the truck all week.

Thanks Daniel"

TruckTruckskit.jpg

truckTrans.jpg

brake1.jpg

brake.jpg

It is Tuesday, July 5th.  Finished mowing this morning, done for a week or so.  I met the Craig's list seller this afternoon, and we exchanged green paper for the rims and tires.  They look great.  Will look great on the Passat W8.

The Rally Boys are doing OK now.  Their car is repaired and they received four new shocks from Virginia.  The report that the ride is so much better.  They are in Belarus.

A Porsche 928 is coming over tomorrow morning for an "on the lift" inspection.  

P1070321.JPG

P1070323.JPG

P1070322.JPG

It is Thursday, July 7th.  As scheduled, Jon came over with his Porsche.  It is all original, low miles (40,000), 1988 model.  He has had it for about three years.  He wanted to put it up on the two post lift just to look around.  He has done a lot of maintenance work on the car, nothing major.  He said that it was great to just be able to walk under the car and take it all in.  I took a few pics.

P1070324.JPG

P1070325.JPG

P1070326.JPG

P1070327.JPG

P1070328.JPG

Saturday, July 9th, and we have a Barney F100 report from Daniel.

"I had tried to set the motor in , you saw the issues with the large oil pan fitment, the new oil pan is here.

All parts I ordered are here except the fuel level sender, the fuse box is mounted , engine and front wiring is thru fire wall, rear wiring, lights ,fuel sender, wiring out and under truck. Took dash out, pre-wired dash, also, you did not have turn signal lights in dash, or high beam indicator, got 2 out of 3 at parts store, installed , other ordered online, but hole there and wiring there.see pic  cleaned bracket for under dash gauges, prewired, new gauges in it,see pic's.  Only brake line left to do is from proportional valve to rear brake lines.

I don't remember if you saw, new block plate, flywheel installed, torqued, trans bolted to motor. I also got metal for trans cross member, and motor mounts. Also when installing the new headlight switch, I drilled out the bezel that was marked "lights" and reused it, did the same with the new choke cable, and lots of little stuff along the way, be glad to get motor bolted back in. I'm sure I missed a few things, sorry I'm not further along.

Thanks Daniel"

tr1.jpg

mtr.jpg

tr.jpg