Hershey, E-Bay and the economy

FJD2004

<span style="font-style: italic">This may have been brought up a while ago but I was curious to see what the current response would be to this question.</span>

With the economy in a much different place than it was last year at Hershey time, and the internet continuing to be a fast and easy place to find rare old car parts, what do you think the turnout will be for Hershey 2009? I have been attending Hershey every year with my father since 1971 and personally would not miss it for anything as it has always been a annual tradition. And I also must mention the fantastic job the Hershey Region AACA does in organizing such a huge event that runs smoothly -(especially the car show in 2008 that was the best ever in terms of geting in and out without any delay)

Area hotel rates surrounding Hershey are skyrocketing every year as is gas (yet again) which certainly doesn't make the decision to attend for many who live out of the area an easy one.

Your thoughts?

I think that Hershey will be just fine. Yes, ebay and craigslist are really good for finding/selling old car parts. You get millions of lookers and not a few hundred. Still nothing like going to a meet and socializing and actually fondling the parts you want to buy. The interactions between all of the vendors and buyers IS Hershey. I have yet to read ANYWHERE that ebay is Mecca. Hershey has been called that for years. Whenever anyone asks me about Hershey, I just say "Imagine a place 10 football fields long by 10 football fields wide of nothing but old cars, parts and people".

Haven't missed a Hershey since I first started in 1969, think I started vending in 1971. I arrived at Hershey one year with $23.00, and another year with a fat roll of mad money, and reversed the take home both times. You make your own ecomomy, I buy at Hershey for my projects or to flip on eBay. I drag worthless stuff to sell, or heavy stuff that people can't afford to have shipped. I always have a good time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I arrived at Hershey one year with $23.00, and another year with a fat roll of mad money, and reversed the take home both times.</div></div>

You haven't really been to Hershey until you've had to take U.S. 22 home because you didn't have enough money left for the Turnpike toll! smile.gif

My car was purchased on Ebay because many trips to many car shows and sales did not have anything I wanted. Also, I have bought parts on Ebay because most swap meets have tons of Chevy and Ford parts, but zero Lincoln parts. I have also never been to Hershey since it is not conveniently loacated. However, I do not see Ebay replacing events like Hershey. In the winter I can be on Ebay all I want. In the summer, I want to go out and enjoy the weather, see actual cars, not pictures online, and socialize with other car guys. That is something Ebay cannot do.

Interesting question,

I have stopped my subscription to Hemming's (The Old Car Bible years ago) I replaced it with e-bay. I have found everything I needed on e-bay and never got burned ( I guess I am lucky) I have seen the smaller swap meets dwindle into nothing more than a flea market of vendors selling cheap imported tools, wax and tee-shirts. Last year at Hershey I sold (my second year vending) an I did well. I find Hershey to be a social activity that will last for some time. I am sure it will get smaller as we all know there is not large influx of younger enthusiast's. However I think that social connection will always be there. We have made it a reunion and eat dinner at someones space each night, with everyone bringing something to contribute to eat. The local Vintage Chevrolet Club Region hosts a cook out open to all VCCA members from all over the world who attend. It was started a long time ago by the late Ron Flory, with only 10 of us showing up at his home, now there are a few hundred members, at rented hall

Hershey is a great place to buy or sell heavy items the cost of shipping has really gotten expensive, while e-bay is a great place to sell or buy small or paper items.

I think e-bay is replacing classified ads and those publications are going to feel the effect. I have been going since 1973 with my Dad and pretty much have gone every year since. My oldest son has been going with me for the past three years (he is 24) and always leaves with saying "next year why don't we..... that is a good sign he is looking forward to going just like I did. While his idea of a collector vehicle is an 85 K-5 blazer, it is still old to him.

See you at Hershey!

I also have been going to hershey for years ,see the same stuff year after year ,it,s become a parking lot for people to put a sell tag on a part that says ,put cash in can.I did try to get another space last year ,early,Sold out.Only to find 50 open spots the first day,or a moterhome ,with junk parts ,2 cars taking up 2 spots.How about making it a swap meet instead a diecast or a home decorating meet,that would be cool.

We go to Hershey to buy supplies to do our projects for the next year. It's nice because you save money on shipping and you see what you're buying for your money. As long as the big vendors continue to set up (Bill Hirsch, Dennis Carpenter, Restoration Specialties, Steel Rubber, Coker Tire, etc.), we'll always have a reason to go.

The answer to the question reveals the actual essence of Hershey. Get a swap meet space, load a suitable vehicle full of your unwanted antique car parts, and head for Hershey. Pull into the space, unload the parts, and turn the vehicle into your 4-day personal motel. The true enthusiasts SLEEP in their space at night. It's part of the experience; and paying a fortune to stay in a local hotel is just wrong. At night, take in the auction or the impromptu concerts, or just gab with your neighbors.If you have a huge motorhome, that's fine-park it outside of the swap meet field and leave the vendor spaces to the vendors.

Guest windjamer

Greenie I couldnt agree more. I arive tuesday and stay right on my space till Fri.afternoon.Then I drive like **** to get the car and get back for judging. I have my own stove, air mat.coffee pot and small generator to run the pot and blow up the mat.Early mornings the smell of my bacon, eggs and home frys cooking on the coleman and the coffee brewing in the pot has lots of friends stoping. I go with enough nos and junk hopeing to sell enough to pay for my trip. Sometimes I even come home with 2 dollers more than I started with thats a plus. Try it,you will like it.

Guest Siegfried

Amen! Hershey is MECCA. Nothing else comes close for me. Every year I meet new friends and greet old ones. The ones you only see at Hershey. The most fantastic week of the years.

The 1992 Hershey meet metal sign said it all: Every October Hershey, The Rest of the Year is Just Waiting.

And, yes I also sell on Ebay, but its no fun for me. Don't get to meet the buyer face to face. All it is, is a tranfer of money for goods.

Ebay can be hit or miss with car parts. I have had to return many parts or just "eat the cost" because they really weren't for my model or were in poor condition. I am also starting to get hit with a lot of unethical people on Ebay who either leave negative feedback that Ebay won't remove or sellers that won't honor their return policies.

I think the parts swap meet has a lot less variety but you have a better chance of getting what you need. I would also recommend wrecking yards/junk yards.

LINC,

You had some good points. To add to that, I just bought a spotless 2000 Lincoln Continental on an out-of-the-way car lot. I have found bargains on ebay, at car shows, and sometimes, on small family-owned lots.

So, let's hope all thrive, Hershey, Ebay, the Mom-and-Pop stores that still give a good deal, as well as sometimes the J.C. Whitneys in the world.

Enjoy the season!

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The true enthusiasts SLEEP in their space at night</div></div> Been there done that from the time I was a kid. We used to take a tarp and drape it over the ladder rack on the back of my dad's pickup. When I bought a full size pickup, I put a nice fiberglass cap on it with lights in it and never slept in the truck since. As fate would have it, due to the internet, I found out that I could stay at Fort Indiantown Gap, PA (military installation - we're both retired Army) for $8 a night, and never slept in the truck again. If I want the room with the TV and the fridge it's $10 a night, and if we're lucky enough, we'll rent a whole house for $42 a night. The $8 and $10 rooms are in the barracks, where the house is away from everyone else. We'd be sleeping in the truck too, but we managed to find a way to do Hershey for a bargain and live a little better.