The best years of Buick?

MarkV

In the 1900 years I would say, 1908 with the intro of the model 10, later to be known as "The little white Buick."

For the teens, I would say 1914, which is the year Buicks were all equipped with an automatic engine cranking device....or Starter for short as standard equipment. Also, the first year that a 6 cylinder was offered in the B-55. wink.gif Dandy Dave!

1918 - fell in love with a roadster I saw some time back and thought for a 90 year old car it just looks so cool.

1929 - nice front end styling (and Cos if I didn't say '29 Rooster might get upset)

1938 - hard to pick over the '34 but a '38 coupe is one of my all time favourites

1949 - They got the styling just right by the end of the 40's.  Those 49 sedanettes are magnificent.

1955 - No 57 no 55 no 57 no no 55....hmmmmm

1965 - No way I could overlook the 65 Wildcat. Special mention to 67GS 400

1970-71 - Skylark

Stops there for me

A good question!

I have to agree with Dandy Dave on the 1908 and the 1914 for the reasons he noted.

1920s: 1924. Introduction of 4-wheel brakes. Compared to that, all of the other improvements and changes in 1920s Buicks are minor.

1930s: Although the 1933s are my absolute favorite year of all Buicks, I think 1936 was the best year. The 320 straight 8 was introduced; the 248 straight 8 was introduced; the familiar Limited, Roadmaster, Century, and Special series models and names were all in the line-up--most of them for the first time; hydraulic brakes were introduced; and the Art Deco styling was excellent.

1940s: 1941. Excellent styling; more models and series than EVER before (40,50,60,70, 80,and 90 series), compound carburetion (forerunner to the 4-barrel), more horsepower in the biggest engine than even Cadillac offered; and the Limited challenged and threatened Cadillac so much that Cadillac management complained to GM.

1950s: Wow, it's between the 1953 and the 1959; I guess the '53: Introduction of the V-8, the 12-volt electrical system, the Skylark; the last and some would say best of the woody wagons; and one of the most beautiful grilles ever put on an automobile in all 1953 Buicks.

1960s: 1961. Clean, restrained styling in the big cars, introduction of the compact Buick Special & Skylark and the first and lightest aluminum V-8 in an American production car; elimination of the torque tube making transmission service and removal enormously easier; and the full-size 1961 cars are acknowledged by long-time dealers to be the most trouble-free Buicks ever made.

1970s: 1970 models. Clean, traditional styling in the full-sized cars, convertibles available in the Electra, LeSabre, Wildcat, Skylark, and Gran Sport lines (never again would so many different convertibles be offered); high-compression engines and genuine performance in the GS and GSX; quality of construction and materials in every model--very little plastic; ease of maintenance by the average owner or shade tree mechanic, no electronics, no scissor tops on the convertibles; 1970 had a lot going for it.

1980s: Sorry, but I begin to lose interest here....

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

1987 was a pick for the last year of the Regal Grand National. This was a special car. The 1980's was a solid decade fro Buic with the introduction of the Reatta, the last of the rear drive Electras and LeSabres, T Type front wheel drive LeSabres and limited Century GN, - it's just hard to pick ONE year, so given what the Regal GN meant, I picked that.

I can't believe Pete picked 1953 over 1954. But that's the point of the post, we may not agree but the discussion broadens the reasoning and interest.

1954 was a watershed year for Buick. The 53's were still kind of frumpy down the sides. Nickles cleaned up the bodysides, the last year for the classic Buick waterfall grille, beautiful new body (senior) and potent new Century.

1963 vs. 1961. The 61's are one of my favorites too as I owned a 61 Electra bubbletop, but 1963 saw the Riviera, a nicely styled senior Electra, the Wildcat hitting stride and restyled Skylark. A good consensus pick for Buick in the 1960's.

Guest imported_Thriller

Hmmm...best...that's a loaded question. Like Pete stated in one of the October Bugle articles with the word original, what does it mean? Best sales (can be verified)? Best looking (a matter of opinion)? Best technically (tough with technology generally marching forward over time)? Of course, some will take it to mean favourite as well....

I'll try, but don't have enough knowledge to really go on any of the above questions...nor do I have completely formulated opinions on what I find most attractive or best technologically, but here's something:

1900s - I think I'll generally defer, but there were many milestones for Buick

1910s - rather than picking a year, I think I'll just pick the trucks. My Bugle arrived recently, so that's fresh in my mind...if I ever get something from the teens, I want it to be a truck.

1920s - a bit of a sentimental favourite with the 1929...back in the day they were rejected, but they are wonderful cars. I still like the concept of 310 cubic inches in a six cylinder car.

1930s - I've always had a hankering for the '36 for the beginning of hydraulic brakes, but my wife has decided that '33 is her favourite, and I'm definitely appreciating the beauty of them. Besides, once I'm dealing with mechanical brakes on the '29, what's the problem in dealing with it on another car?

1940s - again 1941 is a sentimental favourite, but I think I'll just go with the Hellcat

1950s - a decade of huge change...straight 8 to V8, 6V to 12V, no fins to huge fins, chrome growth, etc. I also have 3 '50s Buicks (how'd that happen anyway), so picking from my collection won't be easy, but I think I may have to go with '54 - V8s across the board, and the first all steel wagons.

1960s - end of the fins, growth of power, of course, Buick always had torque - '61 saw an open driveline, '66 was the end for the venerable Nailhead, of course '67 saw new engines...hmmm...maybe I'll just go with the car of the year - the V6 Special for '62. If nothing else, it was the start of something great that is just ending.

1970s - not necessarily the decade one wants to choose for style...Buick got pace cars at Indy 2 years in a row...advent of pollution control and the end of power. 1970 was certainly interesting with the last Wildcat...beautiful car and with a 455. GS, GSX...sigh. The boattail Riviera is one of the most enduring and recognizable designs...perhaps I'll go with that.

1980s - I'll just choose the turbocharged V6...'nuff said.

1990s - I didn't pay much attention, but we have the Roadmaster wagon...we also have the beginning of the last generation Riviera - a beautiful car that has a ten year old design that fits in with cars designed today, so one could say it was ahead of its time.

2000s - not over yet, so not sure what I'll say is best. I will admit that we generally like our Rainier (now if it had the SC3800, it might be better though) and everyone I know who has one loves their Rendezvous...similar with the Enclave, although that is just beginning....

Looking back on this post, it almost is a quick and dirty history of Buick.

Guest Reatta1

If I had to list 'best years' I'd have to go with the ones that struck my fancy. That would be;

47 - convertible

57 - convertible

59 - convertible (my all time favorite)

63 Riviera

66 convertible

67 GS400

71 Riviera

All Reattas (88 through 91)

The late 80's to early 90's Regal Coupes

Not much strikes my fancy after that.

Years I came up with:

27 Buick, cause my dad's dad had one.

30's no idea

40's year that the OHV straight eight was introduced

50's well that would have to be the last year of the Roadmaster and the king of chrome, also Flightpitch, which is 58

60's I would have to go between 62 and 64, 62 had the V6, 64 Buick finally dumped the flow.

70's would have to be 75 when they reintroduced the v6.

80's to now, not interested.

Well in all decades but the present, Buick made stylish and distinct cars. That is why Buick will ALWAYS be the best. Positioned between Cadillac and Olds/Pontiac in the GM hierarchy allowed Buick to build awesome muscle cars, and formal sedans, basically customized show cars based off the Riveira platform and stylish wagons. There is no other car make like Buick, period.

The 80's had the Riviera, the Reatta, Electra and LeSabre fullsize, the GN, and various iterations of the "sporty" front wheel drivers.

A lot of the posters say they don't care after the 1970's but in twenty years, we'll see. These were great cars in their own right, they are just too 'new' to be appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: d2_willys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Years I came up with:

</div></div>

Buick's great OHV straight eight arrived with the 1931 models.

My personal favorites:

The twenties: 1929, beautiful

The thirties: 1938, The grille was great

The forties: 1940, but I think all the 40's were great

The fifties: 1957, some don't like it but I loved the look

The sixties: 1961, very clean design

The seventies: 1970, liked the grille and overall look

The eighties: 1983, Riviera convertible

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt Harwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1941 was the best Buick year ever. End of discussion. laugh.gif

</div></div>

AIGHT PUNK let's go them's fightin' words let's take this outside! haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Centurion</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: d2_willys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Years I came up with:

</div></div>

Buick's great OHV straight eight arrived with the 1931 models. </div></div>

Sorry about that, guess the 31 buick then, I will go with the 49 Buick for styling.

If you're judging just based on looks then my top two are the 1932 in first place and the 1938 in second, and everything else up to 1938 in third. It is said that there isn't an ugly 1932 anything. (car that is) It's the culmination of the older 20's styling that just got it all right before the lower and longer trend set in. It still has the open radiator with louvers and the open fenders. Doors on the sides of the hood. Gimmicks like "Wizard Control" and remote control adjustable shocks came on board. First year for inside sun visor. Just a great looker.

bubba

post-30973-143138014079_thumb.jpg

It's hard to argue with 1955 NOT being Buick's single best year after passing Plymouth and moving into 3rd place in national sales...In addition, Buick's former General Manager, and President of GM in '55 was Time Magazine Man of the Year!

I liked the styling changes in 1956 with a smoother look, softer and more rounded. 57 would be hard to vote for given BUicks' overheating problems that plagued the Special.

I also think 1963 was a very good year with the introduction of the Riviera. I worked in a New Jersey dealership and drove the first Riviera back to our Dealership and had people jumping out of their cars at traffic lights to ask: "What kind of car is that? Like WOW, where can I get one?"

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're judging just based on looks then my top two are the 1932

</div></div>

If you think about it, 1932 & 1957 had something in common............Ever car built in those two years was great looking, from A to Z.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Landau1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's hard to argue with 1955 NOT being Buick's single best year after passing Plymouth and moving into 3rd place in national sales... </div></div>

Not to be argumentative at all...

Even though I have two 55's and I love the look, I have a slight issue with bringing up high sales to claim "best". McDonald's has sold billions of hamburgers. That doesn't make them the best burger.

I do personally think the 54 Skylark is the best designed Buick ever.

Too many to actually pick just one from most decades but here goes.

00's-10's - no real favorites but will go with '05 because I had the privilege to ride in one

20's - 24 - Pete hit it right on, 4 wheel brakes (and good looks)

30's - tie between '35 & '37 (only two years apart but what a difference)

40's - tie between '41 & '49 (especially the sedanette)

50's - '57 - just hits me right (but love every year!)

60's - I'll go with '63 (Riviera and Skylark) but another decade where I like all of 'em (especially 2 door '62 full-size hardtops)

70's - '70 Skylark

80's - Not much interest but the Reatta is my choice

90's - 00's (<span style="font-style: italic">second time for the 00's!</span>) - Not much passion there but the cars have become "good" again (and I know not everyone thinks they ever stopped...). Now if they can just do something about the styling (and model availability)...