New Magazine for PreWar fans!

OK, I know just one of you is going to ask which war but humor me anyway. Keith Mathiowetz, formerly of Old Cars Weekly, has started a new magazine called <span style="font-style: italic"> </span> PreWar Auto Notes <span style="font-style: italic"> </span>. This magazine currently is not advertising driven and has no ads. It is a publication for pre-Word War II cars. Subscription is $40 per year. Contact Keith at kcmath@tds.net

I received a sample copy and I agree with the consensis at last nights local HCCA meeting. It just isn't worth $40 per year when club members already get publications like the HCCA Gazette and the BCA Bugle.

I really do hope that advertising can reduce the subcription price to enable this publication to survive. But I stand by my previous opinion that other club publications currently offer more value for the $$.

I have a copy as well. While it is not on par with Antique Automobile, good pre-war coverage is difficult to find. I have dropped a couple of popular magazines because of this. What is there is not well researched, etc. Even 50s era cars seem to get less coverage than 70s-80s??? So for that reason I hope it flies.

Bear in mind this is the first issue, 40 pages, no ads so it is pretty full of articles. Nice, clear photography but mostly B&W, although the feature article on Plymouth for 1934 was color. Several models featured, a feature on Brush cars and Alanson Brush, all together a nice mix - Brass, Classic, Antique. One may hope to see articles later on that may focus on tech issues unique to these older cars, collectors who focus on brass or other pre war stuff, or auto related collectibles that go in this era, etc. Although when you consider all the independents that were around in this era, there is probably plenty of car material as well.

HD Bob, I would look at this like the prewar show in Wilton, you know, small but all good stuff.

All that said I also agree $40 is on the high side, would hope for a bit more for that type of dollar in either paper stock/print quality or quantity but thinking about it just to support this idea (although you can join another national, like CCCA or probably HCCA for that $$ - and read about what interests you most). I am not sure if the no advertising is a policy or just due to the fact that this is the introductory issue. He will definately fill a niche market if he succeeds. Maybe the price will drop if subscription rates rise high enough. I imagine it is a fairly expensive deal to get something like this off the ground.

Steve. Good response. Don't forget guys that this magazine has no advertising! As such, the subscription price may seem a little high although it is less than the cost of one tank of gas these days!

I would like to see the quality of the paper and photographs improve over time as well. This being Keith's first issue and totally funded out of his own pocket I can well imagine the hardship.

This magazine may fill a niche for many of you. It just gives you an option (although never sacrifice your AACA membership)

I received a copy of this magazine, and I do intend to subscribe. We all need to remember that the first issue is always a sort of prototype, and that most publications will evolve to suite the readers. This publication is not produced by a media conglomerate, so the initial issues are going to be somewhat sparse until it gets rolling. I hear many people complaining that pre-war cars don't get the coverage that later cars do. Well, if you want it, you need to prove there is a need for it by buying it when it's offered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Braverman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We all need to remember that the first issue is always a sort of prototype, and that most publications will evolve to suite the readers. </div></div>

Amen, only to get better and better as it develops.

$40 doesn't buy much these days and with 12 issues per year (and at 40 pages) that comes out to $3.33 per issue. Seems reasonable considering it is a niche market with very few (2?) that are devoted to pre-war vehicles.

Guest papete

I got the magazine in the morning and sent a check in the afternoon. We need to support the pre-war effort. It is a little expensive but it may evolve into a great publication on ordinary cars and not just show cars which many of us cannot afford.

Bob, Keith's is the only name I recognize, although the articles certainly seemed professionally (at least well researched and well written) done to me. I think there is great potential here, ever pick up a copy of "wooden boat"? There is a niche, that has to be somewhat limited, and it is all first class. I could see that happening, just as Antique Automobile has improved dramatically. His market may grow if this trend in brass continues - I think the prewar stuff will turn over in the next ten years; look how Full Classics are doing, heck, even MAFCA and MARC membership continues to grow.

A little off topic but this national growth contrasts with our declining membership in the local club. I think this may be to do with the fact that a lot of guys my age - mid 40s plus or minus are too busy to devote a lot of time in locals. One of our challenges in CCR AACA is to show how much they are missing. I know 5-6 guys in that situation right in town, they are good prospects for this type of magazine, and eventually may become more active than the occasional show or parade with their "A"s (or anything for that matter).

Guess I am in a minority around here. The longer I play the older my car interests get. I got in the hobby with my inheritance of the Avanti in '79 and all my cars since are prewar and getting older. I am now into brass with the '13 Stude and can't wait for Brass in Bucks to tour it!!

I will support this new magazine and section of the hobby as long as I can! They are the coolest cars around- from brass to the thirties there were MANY stunning cars built as the industry took form and history was made. I wish AACA could maintain a better balance in the hobby but I understand you have to go where the market takes you.

Long live the prewar interest!- Bill

I received a copy of the magazine today, and have not put it down. I think for being brand new, it's a fine magazine and I hope it continues to grow. A pre-war car interest magazine is really needed for us who love the old cars. I do hope that as subscriptions increase that the cost does come down though and I don't mind advertising in the magazine for suppliers of old car parts etc. Keith I think you have a winner here.