Why did you join the BCA?

JohnD1956

As a side bar to the cost of the Bugle thread, it would be fun to expand on Thriller's question: Why did you join the BCA.

As for me, as a kid and then teenager, I always had an affinity for my Dad's 55 Special 3 speed std. I tried to bring home a 62 Electra convertible but Dad wanted no part of that, and then I got my 57 Special convertible but gave it up to appease my parents. I still loved those 50's Buicks and in 72 I got my first 56 Buick. In the fall of 1973 my brother heard of a show in Tarrytown NY. We drove the car out there and the greeter asked if I was showing the car, but I declined. I didn't enter it in the show because it was dirty and I was embarassed. Then walking around we saw lots of cars in various stages of restoration, and some just driven right from the barn so to speak. I was besides myself. My Roadmaster would have definitely fit in. Then I met someone with a beautiful 31 Buick and he mentioned that there were a lot of cars there in various stages of restoration. It was a hobby where every old car owner was invited. This fellow mentioned the BCA to me, and I decided to clean the car up and enter it in the show the next day.

Problem was, it was a one day show, and I really felt left out. At that point I figured I wanted to be part of the culture but I had a few things on my plate. After I got married in 1974, one of the first things I did was join the BCA.

In 78 Linda and I went to the 75th Buick anniversary meet in Flint. I was hooked. All those Buicks in one place, all those people who had the same affection for the marque as myself, I wished the show would never end.

Later when I moved to the Rochester NY Area and learned there was a chapter, I jumped at the chance to join. It was so great to be among these people who all had the same affinity as myself. I just felt at home. And I've always felt since then that this club was about real down to earth people enjoying and loving their Buicks.

I bought my 1915 Buick and the rest is all your fault JD. After posting on this site questions about my car, you emailed me and asked if I wanted to join the newly formed Upstate NY chapter. Then I was told about the National Club and Magazine. So here I is, Life is good. laugh.gif Dave!

Guest ZondaC12

Same as Dave's story essentially, JohnD1956 recruited me too! I don't think I made even two posts maybe 3 and he piped up about the chapter he was starting.

Neat how it worked out, I got into the hobby the very same year he started this chapter! So just as I needed advice the most, there it was, a group of Buick enthusiasts ready to help me out, like it was meant to be!

Shotgun wedding.

I wanted to join a local chapter and was forced into it. It wasn't an easy decision as I'm not one to travel to events all over the place, so it took a bit to fork over the cash and take the plunge.

So, what can a member contribute that's been "forced" to become a part of the club? I've been active in the Pittsburgh Tri-Shields chapter since my joining. I held the offices of co-director, and after that, director. Currently I am the webmaster and do many little things in the background that aren't tied to an officer position. As director, I had the help of our entire chapter to increase our local activities and membership. I also convinced our chapter to hold the Great Lakes Regional in 2004. To this day we still have members that never want to do that again. crazy.gif While things went very smoothly for the attendees, and everyone that provided feedback enjoyed themselves immensely...well we had fires to put out every 10 minutes and not all worked as we had planned. But hey, the attendees had a great time and didn't see us fighting the fires. To this day I'm still proud of each member of our chapter that made that event happen. I still get sideways looks when I use the word "National" at meetings. grin.gif

All in all, I think I've done alot for the club, as well as all the members of the Pittsburgh Tri-Shields. Maybe one day I'll convince the members it's time to raise the bar again for a big event that is more than a region wide deal. I don't want to use that other word and upset Dan with the 77 Electra golf cart. laugh.gif

I joined in 1977 because I had just bought my first old car--a 1958 Buick Limited. There was no North Texas Chapter, no Alamo Chapter, and I'm not sure when Lone Star Chapter started, but it was too far away. The only antique cars I ever saw were Fords and Chevrolets, and I felt like I was the only person in northern Texas who was interested in old Buicks. So, I saw a small ad for BCA membership in Old Cars newspaper (it was a monthly then, I think) for $12, so I joined. After a few years of receiving the Bugle and seeing that virtually all of the national meets and chapters were either in the upper Midwest or in California--much too far for me to participate, I got the urge to start a chapter in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, and so the North Texas Chapter began in the early 1980s.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

1949 Super Estate Wagon

1950 Roadmaster 76-R

1963 Wildcat 4-spd. conv.

Guest imported_Thriller

Some of what prompted me to join is on the thread about the bigger Bugle / dues increase.

I joined this site a long time ago...then sort of forgot about it for a while. After I purchased 5th old Buick ('62 Special), I sort of rediscovered the forums and Bruce Andren, the tech adviser for the baby Buicks, asked if I would be going to Flint in 2003...the car didn't make it, but the family did and we had a good time. The rest is history.

I have since joined the Gopher State Chapter. I have toyed with the idea of trying to drum up enough members to start a chapter here in Manitoba...the idea is still in the back of my head, but I haven't gotten very far with that. It sort of frightens me when I think about the percentage of the BCA Board of Directors that would recognize me...I could see myself there someday, but the kids will have to be a bit older first.

So, is there anyone on this board that wasn't signed up by JD? cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thriller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So, is there anyone on this board that wasn't signed up by JD? cool.gif

</div></div>

Me.

Oddly enough, I was signed up by an old girlfriend who lived near the old BCA office. She knew I had a Buick and she thought it would be cool (that was over twenty years ago!).

Gee, she was swell blush.gif

Now my wife (not the same woman) encourages me to go to every automotive event I can. Gee, she's swell too. grin.gif

I guess I'm lucky....

Mike

This is the way it was:

When we decided to buy a car, a Buick was the only choice. We settled on a 1983 Riviera Convertible. After getting the car, I took it to the local Buick dealer for a thorough check up and look see. While sitting in the waiting room, I started looking at magazines and there was a copy of the Bugle, the rest is history. (Keep tuned for the up coming announcement of the newest addition to our Buick stable).

I had tried to get information on the BCA in the past but was unable to find out anything. I even missed advertisements for the National which had been held in Buffalo a few years earlier. As it happened I was happy to find a copy of the Bugle, three in fact. I told the service manager that I was taking them, not to be returned.

Stevo

Oh, as can be seen from my signature, We also became a charter member of JD's Upstate NY Chapter. Lana and I met him and Linda at the Batavia Nationals and became friends immediately. When JD mentioned that he was going to start a new chapter, we figured we would join to make sure there were enough members. As it turned out, our membership was not really needed to boost the numbers but we are glad that we joined. We are 300 miles from the Albany area and have only made one show but we are and will continue to belong to the chapter. Someday we will be able to get there for other chapter activities. (There are many since there is a very active group led by JD).

Guest Reatta1

My story is a little bit different from the norm here. I lusted after a Buick Reatta ever since I saw the first one in 1988 at the Portland, OR auto show. At the time I couldn't afford the price tag but never gave up. In 2000 after a three year search and three Reatta's looked at, I found an 88 with just over 62k on the odomoter. The price was right and the car checked out good so it was acquired. Along the way in 2001 a slight fender bender occurred and in the course of finding parts for the repairs I was pointed to the Reatta forum and the Reatta division of the BCA. In order to join the Reatta division, I was informed that I HAD to be a member of the BCA. The rest is history. Along the way I've met a great bunch of guys, and gals, attended my first BCA national meet last July and managed a Bronze award for my Reatta. Not too bad for a guy who didn't know what he was doing! smile.gif

ReattaMan.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not too bad for a guy who didn't know what he was doing! </div></div>

I really don't think any of us knew what we were doing when we got started. eek.gif

The first day I ever pick up a wrench, I didn't know what I was doing either. I guess I was about 7. Been yankin em ever since. shocked.gifsmile.gifgrin.gif

Even been accused of being smart a few times. But I wonder about that most of the time. whistle.gif

But here we is!!! Life at BCA is Good. laugh.gif Dave!

Guest rlbleeker

Got the first Buick by chance in 1989. I needed a car for my then girlfriend/now wife. I had a '63 Impala and was actually looking for a Chevelle, saw a '65 Skylark advertised and figured "What the heck." I turned out to be a '67 2dr hardtop and I drug it out of a field for $50. I had it running in a weekend and we drove it for a year until it was lost in a forest fire. I started looking for a replacement Buick and found a '63 Riviera and I was hooked. Almost 20 years later we have 14 Buicks from '16 to '99. I found this site about 6 years ago, and finally got around to joining the BCA last year. Partly because I felt like I should after hanging out here for so long; but mostly to get the Bugle that I'd heard so much about. There is no local chapter here in eastern Washington, and I wouldn't really have the time if there was. I didn't even make it over to the nationals last year. Oh well, got my Bugle yesterday, and it's well worth the dues.

My dad got me hooked on Buicks by asking me to drive and help maintain his 13 Buick while he was touring with the HCCA. I learned what great reliable cars they were and bought my first Buick (29-27) while living in Fairfield California over 20 years ago. I joined the Capitol Chapter BCA & attended meetings a hour away in Sacramento to find contacts for parts and sources to restore my 29 Buick. Although the BCA office could not find my original national registration information, I was one of the host members for the National meet when it was held in Sacramento. (Remember the 29 Buick headlights on the podium at the banquet?)

I added a 31 Buick project car a couple of years before moving to Washington State & continued to tour with the HCCA Portland Group for several years. Jack Gerstkempet Jr. also had a 31 Buick, was a member of that club and encouraged me to join the BCA. I told him that I had attended a couple of the local BCA shows & did not see any prewar Buicks. It just seemed to me that the local club just was not into older cars, so it was several more years before I re-joined.

Jack invited me to go with him to the Buick Centennial because he already had two tickets for everything but his father (one of the BCA founders) could not go. I joined the BCA, went to the Flint Centennial, had a great time. With a lot of Jack's help, we later started the BCA PreWar Division to encourage members with older Buicks to become more involved with the BCA and have fun with their prewar Buicks.

So, it is all started with my father; but it is really all Jack's fault that I am back in the BCA!

Glad to be here....

I joined the BCA because my boys were of an age where they wanted to take my 29 Ford roadster pickup to school. It was powered by a 427 Chev and I knew it was just a matter of time before they tried to sneak it out.

I joined the AACA and bought a 37 Chevy and immediately found that 6 kids and a wife don't fit too well. Denny Manner told me of a 32 Buick model 97 for sale in Missouri and with that being big enough for the crew, was purchased. The first BCA National meet was held in Flint in 1971, and Terry Dunham and Bud Cline were instrumental in putting it on. I knew Bud through the local AACA group, and he asked me to help.

I immediately joined the BCA and have enjoyed the group ever since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buicklover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I joined because The Old Guy told me I would live a long & healthy life just like him........ </div></div>

Me, too, The Old Guy told me the same thing in 1987, when I recruited him to Join the Michigan Buick Gran Sport Chapter of the Gran Sport Club of America, and he started drag racing again, and beating all of us, he still cuts a better light than some of us, when he feels like racing, which isn't very often any more, but he's our idol of the Buicktown Chapter, for racing, fixing, and driving everywhere, he just drove a '96 Roadmaster Wagon with over 260K miles to FL and back getting 22-23 MPG, with no problems, He's our own HERO!

And I guess, could be the reason, I've been so involved over the years as BCA VP, President, Treasurer and Webmaster since '97, and now co-chairperson for the BCA 2008 National Meet. Thanks, Joe, for the continued support, #7

My reason is quite simple, and perhaps the primary reason - I have an old Buick. So after joining, I liked the BCA so much I bought a Riviera. It is habit forming and am still studying for what will be Number 3, because I have three grandchildren.

John

Guest imported_MrEarl

As far as to whom to say recruited me I guess it would be "The Mouth of the South". Some of you know who I'm talkin about.

As far as why... I thought the BCA window sticker would look good next to my BASS fishing sticker on my pick-up.

I was interested in cars at a very early age, and, like many of you, I could identify year and make of most cars by the time I was in the first grade.

My family had Buicks, and I could see that there was something very special about them. I'll never forget going to the dealership to check out the first 1963 Riviera to arrive in my hometown, and I thought the car was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen.

During the early 1970's, my college dorm room was decorated with the full color photo spread of Owen Owens' red '53 Skylark, which I had liberated from a copy of Motor Trend magazine. One of the young ladies at college -- a sometime girlfriend -- gave me a copy of "Seventy Years of Buick", which served to fuel the Buick appetite.

In the fall of 1975, I was a first-year grad student without a spare nickel, but I couldn't resist following up on an ad in "The Oregonian" for two local 1958 Buick Limiteds -- a four-door hardtop and a convertible. I enjoyed a great test drive in the 4-door, but the convertible needed Flight Pitch repairs. The seller, a local businessman, recognized quickly that I was not a serious buyer for the Buicks, but he eagerly shared his copies of the Buick Bugle with me. I was hooked by what I saw. I copied down the BCA information, and my parents gave me a membership for my Christmas gift that year.

Receiving the Bugle was a monthly highlight during my young adult years, and everything else would wait until I devoured the Bugle from cover-to-cover. I flew to Flint for the 75th anniversary national meet in 1978, and I thought I was in paradise. I was already firmly committed to the BCA, but the parade through downtown Flint during that national meet was the ultimate thrill. I stood on the sidewalk, profoundly moved by the rolling display of incredible Buicks in perfect chronological order. Those around me, who had lived in Flint their entire lives, were saying, "I had forgotten that we built such beautiful cars."

Guest Dans 77 Limited

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HurstGN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shotgun wedding.

I wanted to join a local chapter and was forced into it. It wasn't an easy decision as I'm not one to travel to events all over the place, so it took a bit to fork over the cash and take the plunge.

So, what can a member contribute that's been "forced" to become a part of the club? I've been active in the Pittsburgh Tri-Shields chapter since my joining. I held the offices of co-director, and after that, director. Currently I am the webmaster and do many little things in the background that aren't tied to an officer position. As director, I had the help of our entire chapter to increase our local activities and membership. I also convinced our chapter to hold the Great Lakes Regional in 2004. To this day we still have members that never want to do that again. crazy.gif While things went very smoothly for the attendees, and everyone that provided feedback enjoyed themselves immensely...well we had fires to put out every 10 minutes and not all worked as we had planned. But hey, the attendees had a great time and didn't see us fighting the fires. To this day I'm still proud of each member of our chapter that made that event happen. I still get sideways looks when I use the word "National" at meetings. grin.gif

All in all, I think I've done alot for the club, as well as all the members of the Pittsburgh Tri-Shields. Maybe one day I'll convince the members it's time to raise the bar again for a big event that is more than a region wide deal. I don't want to use that other word and upset Dan with the 77 Electra golf cart. laugh.gif </div></div>

You havent lived until youve taken 2 ton of Electra and drove it as fast as you could across a hotel parking lot with the drivers side door hanging wide open while telling others where the next fire was. All the while watching your poor 93 Chevy 1/2 ton truck (which just happened to belong to your Dad at the time) Sagging under the weight of what seemed like 2 tons of door prizes, food, sound systems, and anything else that was needed to stage a regional. I wont do it again (Im one of the ones that stares at Dan when he makes these insane suggestions) But it was enjoyable. Even when the helicopter attempted to land on Dans GN , my Electra Georgiannes Riv and the poor Chevy truck. But thats a whole other story.

I guess I joined the BCA cause I was a Mopar guy. I found this smokin deal on a 77 Electra .... way too good to pass up . A clean, straight, rust free car with a 3 digit price tag. Only problem was I didnt know anything about late 70s Buicks ... Where to get parts , what was available , what wasnt . So I began an internet search for Buick car clubs and the BCA was pretty much the only hit on my search. So I joined , then I went looking for a chapter and found the National pike chapter , the only local chapter at the time. Im glad , Ive had more fun with the Tri-Shields (The former NPC)than any other car club Ive ever belonged to. Ive held the offices of co director and director. And despite my grumpy nature Ive had a blast and have never looked back or even considered not being a part of the Tri-Shields. Hell Ive even sold off my Mopars and bought 2 more Buicks. And trust me , selling my Mopars was something I didnt think I was capable of doing.

I have been a BCA member for a year now, but just haven't posted. After seeing this thread about why people joined the BCA, I figured this was a more appropriate place to chime in.

I was born in Flint, my folks were both Buick line workers, retiring in the late 70's, and I am only the 2nd person in my family to have NOT worked for GM. My folks bought a new Buick every two years - RELIGIOUSLY. Electra's, LeSabres, and Park Ave's, that's all I remember them driving. My first car was a hand me down 1978 Skylark with a 305. I thought I was the man in that thing - a regular hot rodder. Most of my friends in my hometown of Tawas used to rib me about driving a "grandma's car" but I loved Buicks from day one.

My second car was an 83 LeSabre Limited with a bulletproof 231 in it, and I had it till I joined the Army and sold it when I went to Desert Storm and Germany. A few years passed and I got married, and returned to civilian life. I always wanted a new Buick, but couldn't really afford it, until 2002, when I bought a new Century. I had always been a "car guy", but I started to develop a love of old cars, and I saw a 1949 Buick Roadmaster sedan at a local car show in Raleigh, and I wished it was mine many times...

In 2003 I got the call to go to Iraq with my reserve unit, and while there I met a fella with a GSX and a 48 Special. That rekindled my love for Buicks, and I started to dream of owning an old one... When I got back from Iraq, I started searching for a 1949. I wanted a 2 door sedanette, but couldn't afford any of them that I found, or if I could, it had more holes than a pack of swiss cheese in it. That's when I found my 49 Super Sedan online at a dealer in MO. It was a tad overpriced, but those wide whites and black paint job hypnotized me... so I bought it. The car is a story in itself. It purrs like a kitten, fires up on the first or second try, and has 80k on it. It smokes a little, and has a couple scuffs here and there, and some hazy chrome, but has a charm to it that captured me...

Due to work, military stuff, and finishing my degree, my baby has languished in the garage for three years, occasionally getting fired up and backed out, washed and waxed, then pulled back in, covered up and left again. This year, I am committed to getting her on the road - cautiously. She has a Dynaflow that drools like a baby, and she requires some space for braking (not unsafe, just old...) and while she doesn't smoke like a James Bond special, she does put out a little of the blue stuff - but I have been reading the postings on here, and getting motivated. I love Buicks, and if my folks were alive now, they would be happy that I was in this organization. I have a deep seated fear that Buick will disappear in the near future, and while I don't drive a modern Buick now, I sure hope they are around for a long, long time. Although I haven't really posted here - I like this place, and I love the Bugle.

I was planning to attend the Annual Meet this year, but due to a work conflict, I am unable to. I am not a member of a local chapter either, but I am looking to fix that soon. One thing I miss about my home in MI is that there were plenty of old Buicks around, where he in NC, there seems to be nothing but Tri-5 Chevys, vettes and mustangs. My work is cut out for me.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I hadn't felt the opportunity to post prior to this. I hope to get to know others on here better, and I have learned a great deal in my year of lurking on these boards. I hope to become more active in the BCA in the near future, and maybe even get the 49 back on the road... THAT'S why I joined the BCA...

Brandon Adams

Hey Brandon,

Welcome aboard. Thanks for your service to our country. As you well know, there is a lot of kidding around mixed in with some pretty important technical stuff.

Again, welcome and enjoy, post some pictures and jump right in at any time.

Stevo

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: serb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JD has that affect on people.

stevo</div></div>

YES very very domineering and controlling. Drill sargeant really, best describes him. You don't....QUESTION what he tells you to do. You surrender. There is no other option.

Lemme put it this way. One time, he fought Chuck Norris. He stared at him and thus ended the fight in less than a second. (Hint: one of them was still standing and breathing, and it wasn't Chuck Norris!!!!!) laugh.gif

Welcome Brandon, Always good to have new members posting.

For serving our country, I salute you! Thanks. smile.gif

Looks like you are off to a good start with a nice old Buick. grin.gif Dandy Dave!

I been wonderin who the toughest tough guy on the big screen was, Rambo? Chuck? The Gov of Cal, Shwartzinegger? John Wayne? Clint? Barney Fife?

Could it be I'm wrong about all of them???? crazy.gif

So Zonda.....The toughest tough guy is a "Buick Man"??? shocked.gif

Dandy Dave! laugh.gif

Guest ZondaC12

Yes I AM saying the toughest guy is a Buick guy! Good thing we got him on our side! Wouldn't want it the other way that's for sure!!!

Welcome Brandon. I agree with Stevo and Dandy Dave regarding your service to our country. Thank you, and welcome to the active part of the board. Too bad you cannot make the National Meet this year, but congrats on the 49. Can't wait to see some pictures of it.

Say, I forgot Charles Bronson....-N- Walter Brennan, and Yuel Brenner...Ever hear of Tom Mix ???

The first Real Hollywood Siverscreen Cowboy.

JD, that boy thinks a lot of you!!!

I guess you gotta be tough to drive a Buick in a Corvette -N- Mustang world. laugh.gif Dandy Dave!

From my very first days of knowing what a car was, I was in love with my parents' 1939 Buick Special sedan. Consequently, in 1955 when I was 16, my very first car was a 1939 Buick Special sedan with sidemounts and a full leather interior that belonged to friends' of my parents ($100). My very first old ("collector")car was a 1939 Buick Special sedan ($40) I bought one week after being married in 1959. It was eventually sold.

In 1963 I bought one of my current 1939 Buick Special's, a sedan. I saw the BCCA (Buick Collectors Club of America) advertised, probably in Cars & Parts, and became member #303, probably in 1964. When that club folded and the California Region took over as the BCA, I became the second member outside of California to join, becoming BCA #55.

Now I own four 1939 Buick Specials, two Series 41 cars, one with sidemounts and leather interior like my first car, one a plain black sedan like my parents' car. In addition I own a 1939 Buick Special 4-door convertible (twice), and a 1939 Buick Special 2-door convertible. I also have a 1971 Riviera under restoration.

Over the years, my collector cars and drivers have included a 1932 67; 1935 41; 1936 46; 1938 61; 10 1939's; 2 1941 90's; 2 1942's 51 and 41; 2 1947 Specials (a 41 and 46S); 1948 51; 2 1949 51's; 1951 48; 1956 46R; 2 1958 41;s; 1962 Invicta conv; 1964 Riviera; 1965 Electra conv; 1970 Electra conv; 3 1971 Riviera's; 1972 LeSabre Limited sedan (twice) & Riviera parts car; 1974 LeSabre sedan; 1977 Electra; 1977 Riviera; 1988 Skylark (Quad 4); 1991 Park Avenue; 1993 Century; 1995 LeSabre Limited; 1998 LeSabre; 2001 Park Avenue; 2005 Park Avenue (the last real Buick? - I'm not into toy cars, but with no choice, who knows).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1DandyDaves</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I guess you gotta be tough to drive a Buick in a Corvette -N- Mustang world. laugh.gif Dandy Dave!</div></div>

I think you're right about that ^ Dave.

And I would like to add I think a lot of Zonda and my boys and all our Buick Buddies here. I am continuously amazed at the mechanical aptitude, and comraderie, not to mention the courage, of this crowd.

I sure hope we all meet up at the National this year.

Guest ZondaC12

Yeah you don't see way too many people drivin' old Buicks! But they sure have some great offerings. Oh well more for US!

And I can't wait until the next national that's back our way that's gotta be so much fun.