Hershey show of years go

Guest bossmustang

Guest bossmustang

I went to my first Fall Meet in 1975. Now I know that I'm a Hershey rookie by most standards but I enjoyed it more back then. I missed 1978 because I was at Watkins Glen but I've made every year since. In my early days we only had two fields, the blue and the red and you could cover both in 1 1/2 days. I stood on top of the hill in the blue field one day and watched it rain, sleet and snow before the sun came out. I didn't have an antique car back then so I went with my neighbor and his wife and their '32 Plymouth. On Saturday morning, we parked his trailer in the stadium. Try that now. I remember having a hot breakfast in the maintenance building with people from three different countries. It didn't matter, we all spoke the same language:old cars. I'll be there again this year but I think it was more fun then.

Jim Aberts

It nice is some ways now to have the flea market on pavement. At least you're not cleaning off mud for the next 6 weeks.

I miss the wee morning and late evening hours of flea marketing. nowdays most places don't open until 8 or 9 am and close up about 3 or 4. You use to need to bring a flashlight with you to start walking the fields and end up the day using it again. Also the "roughing it" camping on the sites. Now a lot of folks have nice big motorhomes. Guess we've gotten soft as time has gone on. Or on my case becuase Dad and I now bring mother along. Dad and I use to stay in a Ford van. With mother along, my parents got a slide-in camper to go on my '95 Dodge dually.

I remember the blue field onthe east side of the maintanance building & Stadium. Don't remember thr red field when it was east of the blue field. remember airplanes landing at the airport, which beacme the white field. I've been going to hershey since I've been 3 months old. I did miss a couple of years in the late 70's. If I would have had perfect attendance so far, this Hershey would be my 41st.

Dad & I went to Hershey for the first time in 1969, drove down in the 1961 Ford, I was 18 years old. We must have arrived around 7:00 in the morning I still remember how the field and parts were covered with dew, I miss being on grass. Brass era cars were shown inside the stadium, along with the cars from the 1920's, all the others were in the ball field were the maintenance building is today, newest car allowed was 1940. There was a dead end street with 8-10 houses on one side of the flea market, every civic club in Hershey has a food service setup in the front yard. Never did go up in a biplane ride, always thought I'd do it next year.Bill Harrah would bring out a car or two for the show and had a great display of leftover parts in the fleamarket. I miss the old days, but I miss all the friends I made there over the years a heck of a lot more. For me Hershey isn't what it is, it is what it was.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ... every civic club in Hershey has a food service setup in the front yard.</div></div>

I miss these most of all. I was only there for a few years to see them, but they made all the difference. Not only were good causes being supported, but the people who made and sold it <span style="font-style: italic">cared</span> because their reputation and funding was on the line.

The (mainly corporate) commercial replacements are a poor substitute. If I buy anything at the show to eat it's from the HERCO food court only these days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

For me Hershey isn't what it is, it is what it was. </div></div>

Bill and I feel the same way. The orginal Red Field was still in use for the first, and maybe second, year we came. Friends that had been going to Hershey for many years pointed out that there were albino squirrels in that area. There were many large trees in that field.

I wonder what the people that come for the first time this year will think of Hershey. Twenty years down the road when some of them are still coming, will they pine for the good old days of '07 Hershey?

This will be my 32nd Hershey, I missed 1985. According to my mother, I spoke my first words at Hershey '75 as I looked out of our motorhome at my grandfather's 1906 Cadillac, "O cah."

I was a weird kid.

I may be crazy, but I miss the smell of mud and crushed grass. Oh, and where did all the <span style="font-weight: bold">old </span>cars go?

post-48034-143137949988_thumb.jpg

This will be my 40th Hershey. It will be my Son's 25th and he just turned 24! Do the math, he was a vendor in the fleamarket at 7 weeks old. The flea market has certainly changed. We used to scour the flea market with lists of parts we needed for ongoing projects. Now, I can be far more productive spending a couple hours on the internet in search of parts than spending 4 days at Hershey. All that being said...We wouldn't miss it for the world! In my mind Hershey has evolved from just a flea market to the world's largest family reunion. Now, if they could figure out how to have grass grow on the macadam it would be perfect. Funny how it's the years with torrential rain and ankle deep mud that stick out in one's mind as the most memorable.

“it nice is some ways now to have the flea market on pavement. At least you're not cleaning off mud for the next 6 weeks.”

True, but don’t you miss the 800 mile drive home looking for mud and talking the other who were at Hershey on the CB.

My feet also like the softer ground to walk on all day.

How may used to eat breakfast at the house on the ally across from the old Blue field, eating on card tables in her back yard. That old lady made great biscuits and gravy for $1.50 and that included coffee, Tang or milk

Restorer32, <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my mind Hershey has evolved from just a flea market to the world's largest family reunion.</div></div> Well said.

Jay, I was just referring to getting it off my stuff. back then you could spot hershey people easier as most of the trailers were open and/or home made, and there weren't all the landscapers and other commerical people using enclosed trailers too. Now if you followed an enclosed car trailer, the week of hershey, you're likely to end up infront of someone's home.

The funniest thing I remember in the mud days was walking along in the mud and this day it seemed extra slick and just about everyone has mud on them. But this one guy was covered in half dried mud on one side and really clean on the other. He hit a spot and went down. Of course, clean side first. (okay, you may have had to be there for it to be funny.)

Even though I'm a newbie I am proud to say I've lived thru the "Hershey Mud" experience back during the 2005 show. 2004 was my first year and it had clear blue skies and wonderful temps... was amazed at all the different languages I overheard walking past my junk for sale.

Hershey2005rain1.jpg

On the last day of the 2005 show I tossed my tent into the trash......... it failed the drip test. I had blue tarps on the outside, blue tarps on everything inside that tent, and even had to break out the golf umbrella. My assistant Smokey was well prepared sporting her 1950's water fashions.

Hershey2005rain2.jpg

Since it rained most of the week in 2005 I barely made enough to cover the cost of my spaces and I was a little worried about finances. I took a big gamble on the last day and spent every dollar I had and bought a dozen or so Hollander Interchange manuals. A very nice stranger helped me load them into his hatchback and get them back to my spaces. Sold them babies for some good ching later that week. I got soggy, muddy and made some new friends....... ah memories......!!!!

Guest imported_Packards1

I have been going to Hershey since 1973. I remember walking the Blue field twice in one day and leaving in the afternoon having thought I had seen it all. I remember much later on a food vendor selling ribs (Monroe's Ribs). What a great guy and what wonderful food. He was only vending there two years. Of course I cannot forget 1975 when all the water in the world came down and it took several hours to go 100 yards to get off the field. We made lemonade out of lemons that year and bought a 1955 Packard Clipper in Palmrya after we got off the field and drove it back to Detroit. I also remember the Stanley Steamer folks driving their cars near their flea market spaces which were right near mine. I also remember getting a Kiwanis Mc Muffin from the civic groups area on the alley at the end of the Blue field.

Packards1--remember when our two friends/associates parked themselves in the back of Monroe's booth and just kept eating slabs of ribs off of the grille? Monroe would just put another slab on their plates when directed to do so. After they were full he just counted the bones on each plate to figure out how much to charge them!

<span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">ATTENTION FLEA MARKET VENDORS! THERE IS A VEE-HICK-ICLE WITH NEW JERSEY LICENCE PLATES THAT IS PARKED IN A VENDORS SPOT. MOVE THIS VEHICLE AT ONCE!</span></span>

You know you're a Hershey Oldtimer if you remember The guy from Eastwood only selling polishing supplies out of the trunk of his car and the Kanter Bros selling Packard parts only. In 1969 we bought a '47 Lincoln Cont Conv in the flea market for $1495. The next year we bought a '35 Auburn Phaeton for $3500. Tried to convince Dad to buy a '29 Cadillac Dual Cowl but he thought $4500 was way too much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrpushbutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">"...VEE-HICK-ICLE..."</span></span> </div></div>

Good job Mr. P. of recognizing that ever-present "Voice of Hershey." That's definitely one of the things I always think of when I think of Hershey.

I think we first started coming around 1986 or so, and have only missed maybe only a couple in all the years since...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stock_steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrpushbutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">"...VEE-HICK-ICLE..."</span></span> </div></div>

Good job Mr. P. of recognizing that ever-present "Voice of Hershey." That's definitely one of the things I always think of when I think of Hershey.</div></div>

I have always wondered...who is "The Voice of Hershey"?

The first time Bill and I heard him he reminded us of Ben Stein, the monotone voice of the teacher on the show <span style="font-style: italic">Wonder Years</span>.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I still remember Terry Bond's story of a couple years ago involving selling an early season Hershey "jar of mud"...cracked me up!!

I wonder if Pennsylvania ever made Terry pay taxes on that property? smile.gif

Wayne </div></div>

Just don't tell them it came from near a Hershey puddle. They would want to collect taxes for "water front property". wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stock_steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrpushbutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Good job Mr. P. of recognizing that ever-present "Voice of Hershey." That's definitely one of the things I always think of when I think of Hershey.</div></div>

I have always wondered...who is "The Voice of Hershey"?

The first time Bill and I heard him he reminded us of Ben Stein, the monotone voice of the teacher on the show <span style="font-style: italic">Wonder Years</span>. </div></div>

Oooops! The narrator was Daniel Stern, the tall blond actor that played one of the stupid criminals in the first two "Home Alone" movies.

Guest imported_Packards1

Then there was always the faceless offical at the show "Official Bob Smith". They were always anouncing over the PA for him but I never got to meet him. Also, how about Chip and Bill Miller walking the Hershey fields after their first couple of Carlisle shows looking for parts for their own cars.

Delivered in an absolute unmodulated monotone...."Attention all flea market vendors...no traffic in, out, or thru the flea markets until 3 P.M." For years I was convinced it was Ben Stein on the p a system. Does anyone remember when you had to be an AACA member to be on the show field during hudging? And don't forget the guy on roller skates wearing the chrome helmet with the boombox held up to his ear. He definitely marched (or skated) to the beat of a different drummer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have always wondered...who is "The Voice of Hershey"?

The first time Bill and I heard him he reminded us of Ben Stein, the monotone voice of the teacher on the show <span style="font-style: italic">Wonder Years</span>. </div></div>

Oooops! The narrator was Daniel Stern, the tall blond actor that played one of the stupid criminals in the first two "Home Alone" movies. </div></div>

West, You are correct that the narrator was Daniel Stern.

But the teacher with the monotone voice was Ben Stein. At the time I was watching the show I had no idea who he actually is in real life beyond being on that show. blush.gif It sure was a surprise to find out. smile.gif

The question still remains....who is "The Voice of Hershey"? crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Delivered in an absolute unmodulated monotone...."Attention all flea market vendors...no traffic in, out, or thru the flea markets until 3 P.M." For years I was convinced it was Ben Stein on the p a system.</div></div>

Glad we aren't the only ones that thought that. grin.gif

First couple of times were in the mid 60s when I was still in school, with my parents and friends of the family. The friend restored brass lamps and horns and had a trunk full. We would pull in to the field (there was only one then) and park. He would put up a card table with a sign that he would open at a specific time. We would then walk the whole flea market fast for any bargains. He would open up his trunk then and be sold out in a couple of hours. The rest of the day and the next we would look over the flea market at a slower rate. Besides brass this fellow was a Model T expert. He would take orders for hard to find T parts for some of the early years that he knew would be at Hershey and tell the fellow to pick them up on Saturday. He would pick up the parts earlier in the week from vendors that didn't know the find points of the different years of T's. Never saw him fail.

I started coming on my own in 1971 and only missed one year when I broke my wrist falling out the back of my truck loading and spent time in the hospital having it pinned back together. Even then my wife was prepared to drive me to Hershey, to catch the last couple of days, but by then I wasn't up for it. I tried to get the word out to my neighbors to use the space. It was interesting to hear the stories they had come up with for why I wasn't there. They had heard hospital but not what had happened. Back then I would pack after work to leave in the morning, so I was rushing.

Several have mentioned the year of the big flood. That was the only year we never opened up not even for a minute. Rivers were running through the flea market, one only a few spaces down from ours in to Great Hershey Lake. Saw car rims being pushed down those rivers with out tires on them. Vendors in the lake area were standing waist deep in water trying to find parts that they had to leave when the water started rising.

The years all run together but two of the characters I remember and I'm, sure a lot of you do to was the fellow that wore a chrome headlight on his head and had a boom box hanging around his neck that he played like it was and accordion and the fellow that had a hat made from a wolf or coyote head and hide, the nose was on his forehead.

The canned mud was more than just one vendors idea. My neighbor also boxed a bunch in metal boxes and sold them for several years. I bought one for my Dad when he wasn't able to come any more as a Christmas present.

One tradition that has died out for me is the Saturday night potluck supper in our neighborhood in Chocolate field. All the regulars at the potluck have died off or stopped coming but us. None of the new vendors around us stay on Saturday night.

We haven't went overboard with our sleeping accommodations like some. We started in a 67 Ranchero with bows made out of electrical conduit for the back with a tarp over it. Progressed to a 64 Rambler stationwagon with seats that folded down into a bed. Next came a 65 Ford van with a popup camper top but all the camper goodies had been stripped out of it after a wreck before we bought it. We then settled into 8 foot slide in truck campers as the ideal size and are on our third one. Nicely fits in the back of the space with vendor space in behind it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember the blue field onthe east side of the maintanance building & Stadium. Don't remember thr red field when it was east of the blue field. remember airplanes landing at the airport, which beacme the white field.</div></div>

Ahh yes David, I remember the red field. The old red field was where the outlet mall is now, the old blue field is where the wooden roller coaster is now.

There use to be a lot of traffic on that airfield, and I remember some of the companies having these planes flying around over the meet with banners advertising their businesses.

Steve, has anyone thought of giving AACA memberships away as door prizes??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And don't forget the guy on roller skates wearing the chrome helmet with the boombox held up to his ear. He definitely marched (or skated) to the beat of a different drummer. </div></div>

I'm fairly sure I remember the rollerskate guy.

How about the first year for the "Lemon Field" (a.k.a. the Yellow Field), down the hill next to the river (originated only a few years ago). What a *mess*, after the rains came!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about the first year for the "Lemon Field" (a.k.a. the Yellow Field), down the hill next to the river (originated only a few years ago). What a *mess*, after the rains came!</div></div>

That's one *mess* that I'll never miss.

I was told the guy with the headlight bucket helment and boombox has past away, I guess it been about 6 years by now. I had mentioned him before on the forum. I never saw him at Hershey but did at macungie (?spelling?). My dad and I nicknamed him Chrome Dome. He will be missed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: novaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim, by any chance that '64 Rambler happen to be black and if you HAD to get somewhere, it'd leave you sit. If so, I belonged to my folks. </div></div>

Nope mine was white and very dependable. Never let me down. Had to pop rivet some metal over the holes in the tops of the fenders so the water didn't spray on the winshield when the roads were wet.

Jim, I looked at my website where I have a list of the vehicles we've collectively owned and it was a '69 Rambler. Every time mom needed to get somewhere it'd let her sit. Dad kept telling her there was nothing wrong with the car. They went to take it to the dealership where they bought a '73 Dart and it let dad sit.

Jay, I don't remember Santa. Do remember the guy with the trim ring "necklace" now that you mentioned him. Can't say that I've seen him lately.

I will never forget Hershey, '05. I had been scratching an itch to go to Hershey for years. Finally, two years retired I decided I was going. Tuesday or early Wednesday it started raining here. Thursday night it had never let up. Went on the internet Thursday about midnight and checked the weather forecast for there. Two inches of rain Friday and two inches of rain Saturday. I told myself that if I was smart I would stay home but I was not smart. The bug had me and I wasn't resisting any longer. Got up 4 am Friday morning and headed out 1-64 to I-81 and it rained and it rained and it rained. Arrived in Hershey about 11:00 and it was still raining. Checked in a motel and headed to the car corral. Put a pair of hunting pants that had always before been water proof on over my cargo shorts, grabbed a camera and notebook and went to look at the cars for sale. For hours later my notebook had gotten so damp I couldn't write in it and I called it quits. Went to the car and pulled the hunting pants off and I was soaked to the skin. Cargo shorts and briefs were soaking wet. Next morning I returned for the show. Only had to endure light showers that day. We must have gotten the full 4-inches of rain of Friday. Would I do it again? You bet. Leaving here Friday morning praying for sunshine. See you there.

Jay

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packards1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also remember getting a Kiwanis Mc Muffin from the civic groups area on the alley at the end of the Blue field. </div></div>

Thanks for that great memory!! My father was in the Kiwanis club and that was my first exposure to the AACA Show in Hershey. Me and my brother used to help make them every morning during the show.

Guest imported_kingsting

I guess I'm kind of a newbie here. I've been going since 88'. My first show I spent all day looking for a door pull handle for a 33' Ford coupe. I found a nice used pair in the corner of the blue field at the end of the day. I think they were a couple bucks for the pair. I had a great time that day and have been returning every year.

While I like that the flea market is now "compressed" into one paved area and is much easier to navigate (especially if it rains), I miss the character of the show when it was spread out all over the place and was on grass. I thought it was neat how a couple boring grass fields would turn into a small town almost overnight. I also miss the days of scouring these fields with flashlights early in the morning and late in the evening. Now it seems like the flea market carries the hours of retail stores with most stands opening at 9 and closing up before 5.

Every year I say to myself that I will seek out the "voice of Hershey" and meet this fellow but I never do.

Kingsting, I don't understand the 9-5 flea market hours either. Back in the old days guys would have Coleman lanterns hung out selling stuff well into the night. Now we're on pavement with lighting that is on all night long and it's a ghost town after 7:00. I camp in the van Tuesday and Wednesday and an evening stroll through the flea market will allow you to see 12 or less people.