Cars Presented 5 ft. behind caution tape? -YOUR OPINION!

MarkV

I was at the Los Angeles County Fair tonight and I went through the parade with my '48 (the one in the pic. on the left) and we parked our cars, every other car was 5 ft. behind caution tape, were you could only see the front not the back inside or interior. My '48 is all orig. down to the paint and it still looks pretty good, The guy with the tape came around and I told him that I did not want any, that my car is meant to be enjoyed and looked at not behind tape, were no one can see it. I brought out my albums and pics. and opened the hood, trunk, doors and had old 40's Sinatra playing on my boom box and it was a big hit, more people came and looked at my car than all of the other 100 or so cars and my car was on the opposite side of the aisle and people really appreciated looking at it up close and me telling them the story of the car, I must have had hundreds come by the car over a 4 hour period and I never got a break! So, the question is, do you think that cars should be behind the tape or, out there so, people can get up close and look at them? (granted, watching them as they do) To, experience the car. And do you think that people are too finiky when it comes to a fingerprint on the car or someone who gets too close? I personally am not, I think that the car is a rolling piece of American History and everyone has the right to get up close and take a look and to inspire the next generation (I let any little boy or girl sit in it and get a picture if they want!) and not have it stuck behind tape. TELL ME YOUR OPINION!

Guest windjamer

Lincoln I agree with you almost 100%.The bigest smile ive ever seen was on the face of my grandson when I let him drive my senior nat to his prom. I have had young folks to small to look in the window so I open the door and set them behind the wheel. I have also had gramps and gramas slide in for a quick pic. Finger prints will clean BUT at the same time I have seen young ones on bikes with no respect for possable scratches and adults to stupid to stay off the car. I say let them look all they want if they are respectfull, carry a 2 by 4 to instruct those that are not.

I think that by and large the public enjoys being up close and personal. It is relatively simple to stop the disrespectful ones by telling them to stay away with their bkies. I don't have any cars with perfect paint, so I don't worry like many that have just dumped ongodly amounts into a perfect car. On tours we will sometimes take the grand kids, and leting them ride in an odl car is the ultimate thrill.

I was stuck parrallel parking my 57 between to idiots with those rope stands when I was in Tulsa. It really ticks me off. Why bother restoring a car if you won't let anyone look at it. I got the impression that the two owners were checkbook restorers. But that's another huge pet peeve of mine.

I've let folks climb in my car to see how it fits and even supervised kids. They're just cars not works of art! Sure there are careless aholes out there but that's why you got that camping chair to sit there.

It may be a different situation if you have $70,000 in some vehicle but ones like your 48 and my 50 are to be enjoyed close up.

I can't imagine why someone would want to use barriers to keep people away from their cars. OK, there is the occasional person who you have to watch out for, like the guy I saw leaning on my 1929 Model A Phaeton at a local AACA show today.

I have often given people rides in my old cars. I am a little bit more particular with this car right now since I am trying to keep it in top notch shape until I take it to Melbourne in March and compete for a Senior Grand National. Assuming I get that, I plan to start doing major touring after that. I will be less concerned about its pristine condition then.

Most people show the proper respect for cars. I think it is best for the future of the hobby to let people see them up close and personal.

I think placing a barrier between a car and it's audience is a self-fulfilling prophesy. By not having any you embue the spectator with respect, and generally they will in turn respect the show/cars. If you remove that respect for the spectator almost anything can happen.

There'll be no end of exceptions in either direction. It would take a behavioral study worthy of Kinsey to really prove anything. It's comes down to how you'd like to be treated, and what risk you're willing to live with.

Everyone could just stay home and nothing would happen! smirk.gif

After things we have had happen to our vehicles at shows, things that have happened to friend's vehicles at shows and things we have heard have happened at shows....I would like a remote control force field around our car when we start showing it.

Someone approaches calmly and with respect, no shield. smile.gif

Someone, or their hooligan offspring, approaches without proper respect........POOF!!!!!! whistle.gifgrin.gif

Guest Debby Soucia

Well we have seen both but for us our cars are to drive so I would say no tape eather.

Funny thing happened with our 1927 Hupmobile, a really older mans came up to me and asked if I knew who owned this car and he pointed to it. I smiled and said "I do". He looked at me and laughed. Then he said " I thought it would be some one lots older". I smiled, told him "I am getting there". He laughed at that! He then talked about one he had years ago for about two hours. I found out he was 97 and drove his 1939 Ford to the show a total about 15 miles.

Our 1938 Chrysler was at a show and a older man came up and said he remembered driving one just like this on his family farm when he was 10. I talked to him for a few minutes and I told him he could sit in it if he wanted too. He climbed in and held the wheel saying" I'm 10 again" I'm 10 again" smiling like crazy. He son stood and watched him, he was laughing. The son thanked me for letting him sit in it.:):)

Today I took my son's twins (boy & girl) first pictures in all the old cars! They are 1 1/2 months old!:):):)

The fellow that I bought my 40 Buick from put a sign on it when he brought it to shows saying "Please Touch". The car is not any worse for wear because of this. After all, how else could a kid experience what it was like back then?

Ed

Guest toybox99615

My PT Cruiser has a great custom one of a kind mural on the hood. I take it everywhere becasue it is a driver. I continually have people who want to know about the mural: why a Wizard, who did it, etc. I am amazed at how many folks think it should be behind glass as if it was something really special. For me its just a car. If the mural was to get ruined I can always have the artist do another. He is happy to accept my money.

Good thought to those who truly are willing to show their cars to folks and not be paranoid that it might get hurt. I find far to many car and motorcycles that folks keep under guard. I think the forget the reason why the bring it to show off. Some folks just want the bragging rights more than anything else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toybox99615</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If the mural was to get ruined I can always have the artist do another. He is happy to accept my money. </div></div>

But then there are folks that have had to save up to have something done once. And they don't want to have to save up again to fix it. Or they just can't.

Accidental damage is one thing, it happens. But to have someone damage it through stupidity and/or lack of respect for what belongs to others is just wrong.

We drive our 17 Buick almost weekly to and from the local grocery store. On most trips I worry not that someone is going to collide with us but I believe the car following us is at greater risk as the on coming drivers almost break their neck looking at us as we go by. As for letting others enjoy our hobby on one saturday this summer on our way to the grocery store we noticed a sign on a corner indicating that one of our neibors was having a 50 year anniversary celebration so we drove by to see if the couple wanted to go for a drive to the county park about 1 mile away. We were suprised that the older gentleman had been confined to a nursing home and the wife was unable to leave her home because of health reasons. Non the less everyone at the party was allowed to sit in the car and take pictures and act like it was their car. In a hundred years someone in that family will beleive that their relatives had this car for their own. After about 45 minutes of picture taking the elderly wife came out of the house and said she wanted to have her picture taken in the car also. It was the first time in 4 months that she had been out of the house except to visit the doctor, said her relatives. After about another 30 minutes and more pictures and the relative all thanking us for just stopping by we left to finish our trip to the store. THIS IS WHY WE DRIVE OUR CAR AND ALLOW OTHERS TO SIT IN IT OR ACT LIKE IT IS THEIR OWN CAR. Why else would you want to have a car? We often stop at the older generation homes in the area and offer a ride to the ice cream parlor. Also twice a year I take the car to the local High School for the auto shop students to have a look. THe high school students brag about having 20" wheels and low profile tires like they are something new until I point out that this particular car is running on 25" wheels.

Guest windjamer

Hey folks, Tues.morning early birds be sure to read the notice in your envlope about chocolate field. Nine days and counting. Find me at c3b-6-10. Ill have lots of junk, oops I mean goodys.

I can understand why some people want to participate in roped shows. There are some ill-mannered people that attend all types of shows. People with pets, strollers, grubby handed children and even morons on bicycles want to cram themselves in-between cars. My wife prefers roped shows.

I, on the other hand, prefer open shows to keep the cars off the pedestal. Many people think I'm insane for driving the Mark II the way I do. My philosophy is that anything that can be fixed with the insurance company's money isn't really a problem. I get the biggest kick out of letting people sit in the car.

We were at the Ault Park Concours this summer. It was an open show. I saw a very well dressed black gentleman eyeing my car. He walked around it a couple of times. I was barely aware of the man that was following him with two side arms on his hip that looked like something out of Terminator.

I asked if he's like to sit in the car. I opened the door and as he slid in behind the wheel a look of calm came over his face. I closed the door and said, "Looks good on you". He looked up at me and said, "I'm the Mayor of Cincinnati, you've just won the Mayor's Cup!"

It pays to be nice to people.

My .02, which I assure you is a rip off.

I have mixed feelings, and perhaps I shouldn't say anything at all because I do not plan to ever put my 26 in a judged event. Why not? Because I could never afford to bring it up to the standards required for any kind of a decent prize. I am definitely a poor man in a rich mans hobby.

I purchased the car with the intent to enjoy it. To me that means getting it as good as I can afford and driving it. If I drive it, it will eventually get nicked and dented. For the record, the car is "still under construction".

One of the things I enjoy is having people ask about the car and go over it looking at it. Some are even surprised when I offer to take the time and show them the engine. Like others here, I sometimes offer to let someone sit in the car. It makes my day to have an older person or a kid smile from ear to ear at just the suggestion that they can sit in the car. Occasionally I'll take some one for a ride in it. That always makes their day.

A few days ago I took a neighbors wife for a ride (yeah, I know, that's dangerous in itself). Along the way the car quit running. There was water in the fuel system. It took a while to figure that out. Then we could only drive it a mile or so before I would have to drain the filter and carb and hope for the best. It was hot out and we had nothing cold to drink. It took about 90 minutes to nurse it home.

Later that night I ran into her husband and he actually thanked me for taking her for a ride. She had enjoyed herself tremendously he said, break down and all. She told me later that breaking down was part of the fun.

On the other hand, I have had people get in it when I wasn't there. One man had one of his two children sitting in it when I approached him. As I walked up I asked, "Neat car. How long have you owned it?". For a brief moment he looked like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar. He hesitated before answering and my gut feeling was he was about to answer as if he did own it. Someone stole the cap off the oil breather tube. Not a common item and I have had to use one from a different year engine while I try to locate an original. Someone else put their finger in the map light while asking what it was. I told them and they then told me it was loose on the inside. Turned out the bulb was broken. They denied breaking it but as another bystander said, "you were the one caught with your finger in it." The windshield wiper operates manually and people just love to play with it. The wiper blade cannot be replaced without replacing the entire unit. Not a cheap item.

Back to being a poor man in a rich mans hobby. I have almost 2k wrapped up in the radiator and shell. The paint job will cost me over 4k, at a minimum. Then comes the interior and top. All of this is a lot of money to me. I stress "a lot."

Restoring the car will pretty much be a one time thing for me and I want it to last as long as possible. Those who show respect are no problem for me. I'm happy to show them the car. I want them to have a good time with it.

The rest sometimes make me feel like I have to sit by the car with a 12 ga. shotgun. I can't enjoy my car if I'm always worried about it.

Rbl2 – I agree with you and I am in the same boat – I cannot afford to buy a restored car – and I have to many other priorities to spend money right now restoring a car. At least while the car is mechanically sound I can enjoy driving it the way it is – flaws and all.

I have been in the old car hobby now for over 33 years. In those years, the kind of cars that I have owned have been unrestored original Studebaker’s of the 1928-29 vintage. As a rule the activity that I enjoy the most is going on a drive, or tour, with other car owners – not car shows. I have no desire to collect awards. Every once in a while I will attend the occasionally car show when a friend will talk me into it – although there are not many shows that will accept my original unrestored 1929 Studebaker President Brougham with the rusty chrome, bad paint and over all shabby old car.

Some of the things I have witnessed people doing to my cars at a car show:

One family (mom, dad, and three kids) were literally all over my car, one kid on top of the HOOD – looking in the windshield, mom holding another kid in the drivers window while the child played with the steering wheel controls, another kid hanging from the passenger rear door window with his shoes kicking against the door as he tried to pull himself up to hang in the open door window – all the while he father looked on with a look on his face of “way to go son!”.

On another occasion I had the doors closed, windows up, doors locked on my 1928 Studebaker at a car show. I was sitting in the lawn chair at the back of the car when I looked up to see a woman with her husband jerking and pulling violently on the right front passenger door handle. I asked them to please stop doing that (politely), but they continued to try to open the door (it was locked), since they did not get the message of the polite request I got more direct with them to knock it off and step away from the car. I then gave them a lesson in vintage pot metal door handles that are easy to break on these old cars. Their response: Then why do bring the car to a show if you are afraid of someone breaking it?

There have been many more instances like the ones I have mentioned here but you get the point that there is always a small percentage of people at a car show that you can not turn you back on or something will be broken, damaged, or stolen from you car.

One last item from a car show that I attended this past Sunday. My 1929 Studebaker President was in the Classic class and I was the first to arrive at the car show that morning. As the morning progressed, other car owners arrived and parked their cars on the field. When the show had started and all the cars were in place on the field my unrestored original Studebaker was sitting alone without another car any closer than at least two parking spaces. None of the other Classic owners wanted to park next to an original car. I made a joking comment to the owner of a Pierce-Arrow “Don’t worry, rust can’t jump”.

Guest Debby Soucia

"Don't worry rust can't jump"

I like that Mark, I'll have to remember that one!! I have a 1938 that has more rust than paint. We have several cars but I want to keep "Walter" just like he is. We bought him from a auction that a old man had out of 125 cars we brought home 4. He was never driven since 1956 (bought him in 2002)and had about 2 inches of dirt on it. It took three days to clean him up and I have taken him to several shows. I do have to say I have never had any body ask why I brought him, they have all been positive. I don't mind driving him to the PO or the store. He gets hot if I drive him to far :):):) some day I will have to do some thing to his motor but for now he goes to close shows and the store about 1 a month or more. :):) OH! and none of ours are perfect, we dive every one all summer at different times.

Wish I could add a picture but I don't know how!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Debby Soucia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Wish I could add a picture but I don't know how! </div></div>

Send me a PM if you would like to send the photo to me and have me post it for you. When I get the PM I will send you my e-mail address to send the photo to. Then we can all meet "Walter". smile.gif

Guest aussie610

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Huston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rbl2 – I agree with you and I am in the same boat – I cannot afford to buy a restored car </div></div>

can relate top that, the main car I inherited from my father

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Huston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One family (mom, dad, and three kids) were literally all over my car, one kid on top of the HOOD – looking in the windshield, mom holding another kid in the drivers window while the child played with the steering wheel controls, another kid hanging from the passenger rear door window with his shoes kicking against the door as he tried to pull himself up to hang in the open door window – all the while he father looked on with a look on his face of “way to go son!”.

On another occasion I had the doors closed, windows up, doors locked on my 1928 Studebaker at a car show. I was sitting in the lawn chair at the back of the car when I looked up to see a woman with her husband jerking and pulling violently on the right front passenger door handle. I asked them to please stop doing that (politely), but they continued to try to open the door (it was locked), since they did not get the message of the polite request I got more direct with them to knock it off and step away from the car. I then gave them a lesson in vintage pot metal door handles that are easy to break on these old cars. Their response: Then why do bring the car to a show if you are afraid of someone breaking it? </div></div>

There has also been instances of stuff being stolen from cars at shows...

All that being said, I will still only go to open shows, Hell mine will never be in the judging anyway, its too well used. You just have to keep a good eye on your car. I often have a gramophone in the truck (We can lock that) and some photocopies of period adverts for the people to look at. They love it. I must say You get more respect when you take it to the shopping centre car park than at some shows

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Huston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

There have been many more instances like the ones I have mentioned “Don’t worry, rust can’t jump”.

</div></div>

Going to have to remember that one

Guest aussie610

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MCHinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am trying to keep it in top notch shape until I take it to Melbourne in March and compete for a Senior Grand National.</div></div>

Woo hoo, you guys are coming here... Doh wrong country smile.gif

My pet peeve is not the guys who don't want their car touched (I understand where they're coming from); it's parking cars so close together at shows or in museums that the only photos I can get are headon shots of the front end. Don't they know that cars also have two sides and a back end? When I marked off spaces for school shows, I always allocated every car two full parking spaces. Then I could photograph the whole car.

Jay 1124

Guest Debby Soucia

This car was in a barn(1956-2003) and the guy used to start it with a lawn mower can a couple times a year. He had to get rid of every thing(125 cars) and had a auction. When we got to the auction the car we had gone for was really bad and we started looking around. My hubby found a 1968 Chrysler New Yorker($250.00) that had 14,000 miles and he wanted that. He bought a 1976 Cougar ($200.00) and a 1967 Buick($50.00) for his brother. I found "Walter" and told him if he did not go for to much I wanted him. Hubby thought I was kidding at first and then he relized I was not. He got him for $650.00 dollars. I brought him home and started to do every thing my self. My hubby just made sure I did it right.:):) I did master cylinder, brakes, lines, tires, new gas tank with lines, and a bunch of other things. I was really happy to start driving him. I take him to the P.O. and the local store. He needs every thing inside but its still all there only worn badly, no mice holes in any thing but moths had a field day on the inside of the door. I cleaned up every thing I could and put a cover on the front seat, back one has nothing on it and its not torn at all. He has all the inside stuff but the gas gage doen't work.

I have taken him to local shows too. He is just fun!

Guest sparky65

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Huston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

One family (mom, dad, and three kids) were literally all over my car, one kid on top of the HOOD – looking in the windshield, mom holding another kid in the drivers window while the child played with the steering wheel controls, another kid hanging from the passenger rear door window with his shoes kicking against the door as he tried to pull himself up to hang in the open door window – all the while he father looked on with a look on his face of “way to go son!”.

</div></div>

If there is one thing i remember about going to car shows when i was a kid it was my father making sure we stayed a distance from the cars so that our jacket zippers wouldn't scratch. If we wanted to look in side we had to ask. I don't understand how parents could allow there kids to do that. A car show inst a children's museum. The general lack of respect for other peoples property especially by adults is sad. Imagine what those kids will do when they grow up and have there own kids. frown.gif

Guest ChrisSummers

My opinion is that if you want to absolutely, positively guarantee nothing will happen to your car...then leave it in the garage. Not even caution rope is going to stop a real idiot or a well-meaning toddler (most of whom are shorter than said rope) who just wants to see the big shiny pretty car.

I've only got inside one car without asking, and that was a 1977 MGB parked on a used car lot in Spencer, W.V. I was interested in buying it, the dealership was closed, and the lock on both doors was up, so I got inside, closed the door, and immediately found out a) that I don't fit in an MG and B) the inside door handles didn't work. laugh.gif

They do it at the AACA Museum, so what's the difference??

If I have a vehicle with several thousands of dollars in it, and I'm unable to watch it every second, I'd want it roped off.

In your case you have an unrestored original where you're not going to hurt it much. I had our fire truck at a show, I placed my three ring binder on the running boards so spectators could look at the pictures of the truck before and during the restoration. Some lady felt the that the binder looked better on the front fender.

I've found that the national events are great, but when it comes to the local shows, if the spectators aren't willing to spend the money to get into the show are usually the ones who have no respect for the vehicles.

Personally, I think it would depend on the event as to whether or not I would consider roping a vehicle off or not.

There have been some non-AACA events where I knew I would have to leave the car unattended so I simply left the car at home. At some of these events,car owners used ropes and they did absolutely no good. In a few cases barbed wire and land mines would have done little good to protect the vehicle from inconsiderate and disrespectful spectrators.

I have also found that, in general, many car shows do an extremely poor job of educating the spectating public regarding the proper conduct when on the show field. That I blame on the show organizer(s). Assuming that the public already knows how to properly conduct themselves is something that should not be taken for granted although it is often done.

Some in this thread seem to find it acceptable or worth the risk when it comes to damage to their vehicles at an event. Hey, it is their vehicle and their choice. One has to wonder how they would feel after the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th times their vehicle gets damaged as the result of carelessness on the part of a spectator. Then these car owners might understand why other owners think having a car behind ropes might be a good idea.

Look, a couple of things, first, unrestored originals are finally commanding more money at auctions like Barrett Jackson and Pebble Beach, as they should, anyone can pour money into a car to make it look better than new, but, it takes a real talented person, to care for an original. Anyone can make a car look original but it is truly original only once the car is not original if the upholstery,etc. has been changed. I believe that fully restored and modified cars are only worth the sum of their un original parts that were made in China and not the factory.

Finally, I have had my car at many car shows and have not had one person not treat my 1948 Lincoln Cont. (only 850 were made and it is all orig and it was my grandpa's and I found it and bought it back 16 years later.). with full respect and caution and I have had hundreds of people look at the car close up w/o a caution tape or ropes like the other 'classic' car owners with a Mustang (a gillion of those were made) or a '57 Chevy. I think that classic car ownership has begun to become a status symbol or some elite club, instead of inspiring young people and others to love classic cars, they are shunned because of someone not wanting them to even breathe on the car because they have dumped 50 grand into a very common '57 chevy or a Mustang or some other 60's or 70's car, no wonder people my age group are not interested in old cars when you are forced to see them 5-10 ft away like in a museum and when the owners are not willing to even talk to them.

Wes,

You sound just like I did twenty years ago when I was your age. I dissed 57 Chevys and Mustangs for being unimaginative choices. Then I realized AND admitted to myself that I was jealous of guys who could afford to spend (twenty years ago) 50 grand on a 57 Chevy. I always assumed EVERYONE in this hobby was a doctor with an endless budget. It has taken me until recently while reading this forum that there ARE ordinary working class folks who have to save up to get a 4,000 dollar paint job.

I have personally never had my car behind ropes and the paint alone on my 55 (I did all of the disassembly and reassembly) cost more than a brand new Hyundai and I am not a doctor or lawyer.

I drove my 55 Buick 1800 miles one week after finishing the restoration to the Buick Nationals and got my Senior award. I drove back home 1800 miles through a hurricane. The next show I attended was an indoor show here in Austin, complete with ropes around many of the cars. Mine was just out in the open.... I won the cash and a five foot trophy for best in restored class over some of the nicest cars I have seen and mine had 5000 miles on it since completion.

Do what you feel is right for your car. Other people have different reasons to do what they do. After you have spent 100 grand restoring your Lincoln you MAY have a different view.

Mike

Well, I am not jealous of those guys that spend 50 or 100 thousand on a car, I just think that it is stupid to pay that much for any one car (no offense to anyone that has), when you can buy several cars and make them all look great and run great for a fraction of that cost. Most of the 'restored' cars are driven once a month and do not run that great, due to the fact that they are not driven. Old Cars are meant to be driven! And more people look at my unrestored '48 than a fully restored 'unimaginative' '57 chevy. You can make any car look great for a fraction of what those other guys are spending, fo example, my 1941 Dodge has an Earl Scheib paint job and when it sits next to the other old cars it looks just as good as the ones that have 10000 dollar paint jobs, and in fact they all ask me where I got the paint done at and when I tell them where they are surprised (it all depends what shop you go to). But, in my opinion, it is ridiculous to spend 50 or 100 grand on any restoration especially if you want to drive it and enjoy it (unless it is a Tucker!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1948Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when you can buy several cars and make them all look great and run great for a fraction of that cost.

You can make any car look great for a fraction of what those other guys are spending, fo example, my 1941 Dodge has an Earl Scheib paint job and when it sits next to the other old cars it looks just as good as the ones that have 10000 dollar paint jobs

</div></div>

Wes,

With all due respect:

A.) You can make a car look GOOD and run great for a fraction of that cost, if you do the work yourself.

B.)Earl Scheib paint and painted on tires (from one of your other posts) are not going to look as good as a $10,000 paint job.

C.) I'm absolutely not arguing that a large majority of the gold chain crowd with their 69 Camaros behind caution tape in a car show at a Home Depot parking lot are serious poseurs. Just don't confuse the issue.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,

First off, you must have talent, know how and the money to 'do it yourself' you have to figure in all tools such as all things required for painting and you have to have the proper facility to paint so, after you figure all of that in you might as well get someone to paint it. and as for the running of the car, if you are lucky enough to have good 'ol shops with old guys who worked on these cars when they were new and are not in the buisness for money you will also get out ahead on the mechanical work part along with having people who really know what they are doing with hundreds of years of combined experience which I cannot even match up with even if I wanted too! I do some of the work myself when I definetly know what I am doing but, for more complicated stuff and stuff requiing exact precision and when I do not have the tools, I take it to those 'ol shops.

Secondly, true, a Earl Scheib Paint job does not look as 'good' as a $10000 paint job but, a $10000 paint job will get scraches and age like a cheaper or an Earl Scheib paint job and why get that when you can spend money on a cheaper paint job then use the rest to even improve the car in other areas even more, you will come out ahead and get the same enjoyment and get the same looks from drivers and passers by, it is all in the design of the car and how unique it is anyway! (case and point I had more people looking at my run down looking (before the paint job) '41 dodge than ever looked at my fully restored '66 Mustang)

Thirdly, I have never seen a 'painted on tire' except in one of those old cartoons, maybe it is a new Japanese tire ready to split at highway speeds! (just kidding!!) Yes, I remember the post, the thing is, I ended up not doing that, just trying to float around some ideas, as I do not have the funds to waste on $200 whitewalls. Look at my signature, those are all of my cars, some have been in my family for many years and I was at the right place at the right time, but, some were not, the '48 was my grandpa's but he had to sell it and 16 years later I bought it back, and I bought the Mustang with money I saved, when I was 12, and they all run great and I drive them all almost everyday, I pay for the repairs, insurance, registration and all of the odds and ends, and I am only 19! not retired, in my 50's 40's or even 30's and to top it all off, I am in college! You and I should start our own T.V. show sparring about the old cars! It would be great!

Wes,

I'm not trying to start anything, I assure you.

I just turned 40. True, I make more money than I ever have in my life, but it would be a sad story if I didn't 'cuz I played music for a living and while romantic, there ain't a whole lot of money to be made there.

I made 4 thousand dollars the first year I moved to Austin to play music. Now I'm blue collar. I fix things. I sweat for a living.

I bought my 55 when I graduated high school, in 1985. It's the same car in my avatar. When I was landscaping to supplement musical income I threw shovels, wheelbarrows and day laborers in the back. It was (and still is) my pride and joy. Nobody in their right mind would throw as much money in a Buick Special 2 dr. sedan as I did, but it had sentimental value to me.

I was just trying to say that in order to actually compete in any arena, you have to spend money. There is NOTHING wrong with an unrestored car. They are the cars I gravitate to. I personally don't think you should touch your Lincoln until you have the money to do it right. It's hard to restore cars when you are eating Top Ramen, but there is nothing wrong with driving them.

I believe you that your Dodge gets more attention than your Mustang. I personally love beating Mustangs and Impalas with my Wildcat.

Remember what I said earlier. It took me a long time to realize that there are A LOT of people who who are in this hobby who aren't rich.

Mike