65 Riviera trunk jack set up

Devjas

10 hours ago, Devjas said:

Asking for help...I want my tire jack to look correct in my trunk..I found the original hook and spring but don’t know how it’s put in place.

Any photos of the correct setup would be greatly appreciated...

This is a shot of my 63. I assume 65 is the same. Hope this helps.

Bill

IMG_2030.JPG

• Like 2

I studied a lot trunk compartments and this is what I decided was best...... I have my jack flipped over so the ugly protruding

handle socket doesn't show. The forward and backward position of the black center section of the jack seems to look best

the way I have mine. There has been much discussion about the jack handle previously on the forum. I've studied a lot of trunks

and most of them have the handle as shown, between the spring and the cardboard. Some have said that it goes under the spare tire

towards the front of the trunk tray, but I couldn't get mine to fit up there no matter how hard I tried. Everyone I 've talked to agrees

that the handle was not strapped to the jack from the factory, although it looks very nice that way.

DSCN0270.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks to both Seafoam and Bill for you pics. It's exactly what I needed to see. Now I can put it all together.

I really like the way Bill attached the tire iron to the arm... How is it attached?  Tape? Velcro?

Here are a couple of pictures that show how the braces in the trunk are cut so that the jack will only orient itself one way if installed correctly.  A skinny bicycle inner tube cut into a couple of sections works well for supporting the jack handle.  When driving, and not parked for shows, you can also wedge the jack handle between the spare tire and the trunk floor.

On the top of the wheel well

IMG_20180817_121935727.thumb.jpg.6650e8d7c48d356a90fb4c0c49d9c0ec.jpg

On the floor of the trunk

IMG_20180817_122050779.thumb.jpg.c04d1fbaa17f573b205a74d9821c2b2b.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Devjas said:

Thanks to both Seafoam and Bill for you pics. It's exactly what I needed to see. Now I can put it all together.

I really like the way Bill attached the tire iron to the arm... How is it attached?  Tape? Velcro?

I tried the bicycle inner tube and did not like the fit nor the look. I found and used black velcro straps. I think it looks more finished, it holds the tire iron very tightly to the jack and they are easy to remove and put on without taking out the jack.

Bill

P.S. I did put rubber tubing on both ends of the jack where it rests in the V-shaped brackets that were pictured by Ed. It keeps it from rattling and also keeps the jack from getting nicked up by the bracket. You can see it on the lower end in my picture.

Trunk With Jack 1.jpg

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)
  • Like 2

OK, some confusion here.  What is the look hanging off the jack?  At first glance it appears to be part of the spring, according to my new progressive glasses (trying not to hate them).  Closer examination shows that not to be the case.  

The spring is just a spring, from what I see now.

1 hour ago, Zimm63 said:

OK, some confusion here.  What is the look hanging off the jack?  At first glance it appears to be part of the spring, according to my new progressive glasses (trying not to hate them).  Closer examination shows that not to be the case.  

The spring is just a spring, from what I see now.

I think those refering to the looked wire, it's a handle used to stretch the spring so you can take it off.

I have a very similar jack in my trunk.  Picking up the Riv with the stock jack is not on my list.  

Given that it is rickety as all hell coupled with what I paid Tri City to replate that bumper, the original jack is an ornament.  Period. 

• Like 2

Good day.

Great info here on properly mounting the jack and handle, thanks.

I'm just doing the trunk in my '64, and was wondering if someone can share photos of how the other two parts of the jack, (the base and the big hook thingy) are properly factory mounted. I have the spare tire half-cover and a mounting bracket on the shelf, but I don't have any hardware to actually fix the tire to the bracket on the shelf. I assume that the jack base is bolted to the rim somehow, but where would the jack's hook go? Any advice on the acquiring (or DIY fabricating) the mounting hardware would be greatly appreciated.

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

Can you post a picture of the jack's "hook?"  The jack for a first generation Riviera has no hook.  The tab on the jack goes into a slot on the bumper.  I'm thinking you don't have the correct jack. As I said, just thinking. Or are you referring to the hold down "J" bolt? The picture in post #8 is inclusive.  

48 minutes ago, MikeJS said:

Good day.

Great info here on properly mounting the jack and handle, thanks.

I'm just doing the trunk in my '64, and was wondering if someone can share photos of how the other two parts of the jack, (the base and the big hook thingy) are properly factory mounted. I have the spare tire half-cover and a mounting bracket on the shelf, but I don't have any hardware to actually fix the tire to the bracket on the shelf. I assume that the jack base is bolted to the rim somehow, but where would the jack's hook go? Any advice on the acquiring (or DIY fabricating) the mounting hardware would be greatly appreciated.

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

As Ed said go to post #8 for how to mount the jack along the side. I have attached pictures of my half cover mounted on the tire and the hardware you need to fix the tire to the rear shelf. I hope this helps. The hardware to affix the jack to the trunk and to affix the spare to the rear shelf should be readily available from any number of the vendors that advertise in the Riview. 

Bill

IMG_2031.JPG

IMG_4546.JPG

IMG_4547.JPG

44 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Can you post a picture of the jack's "hook?"  The jack for a first generation Riviera has no hook The tab on the jack goes into a slot on the bumper.  

Doh!!!

To be honest, this hunk of metal in the trunk has been there since I've owned the car, and so I just assumed it was part of the original jack. I don't recall ever having a flat, and ever just used a floor jack. A quick test of the jack, it seems to fit the slots, and seems to fit the mounting brackets so can I assume the jack is correct and I can get rid of that dead weight hook???

If correct jack, does the base mount on the spare?

Later, 

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

image.jpeg

19 hours ago, RivNut said:

Looking closer at the jack, I don't think it's a Riviera jack either.

Thanks, Ed, I think you're right that this isn't the correct jack. The post is actually a square tube, and from the picture Bill posted (post 24), the base of the jack appears to have a triangular shape. Tough to tell in most pictures, but the support post does look decidedly different than mine. couldn't figure out why the support brackets in the trunk have a triangular cut out for a square tube even though when I put it in the brackets it sits very solid... (Once again... doh!!!)

Oh, well, at least now I know right from wrong, and I now have another correct part on my list to try to find...

Thanks again, for the input, much appreciated.

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

13 hours ago, MikeJS said:

Thanks, Ed, I think you're right that this isn't the correct jack. The post is actually a square tube, and from the picture Bill posted (post 24), the base of the jack appears to have a triangular shape. Tough to tell in most pictures, but the support post does look decidedly different than mine. couldn't figure out why the support brackets in the trunk have a triangular cut out for a square tube even though when I put it in the brackets it sits very solid... (Once again... doh!!!)

Oh, well, at least now I know right from wrong, and I now have another correct part on my list to try to find...

Thanks again, for the input, much appreciated.

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

Mike,

The Rivs were supplied with both a triangular solid shaft version and a square tube. Each jack was made by a different supplier. Both jacks are specifically listed in the parts book and identified by supplier along with their specific base. Cross it off your list...LOL,

Tom Mooney

20 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

The Rivs were supplied with both a triangular solid shaft version and a square tube. Each jack was made by a different supplier. Both jacks are specifically listed in the parts book and identified by supplier along with their specific base. Cross it off your list...LOL,

Tom, good day, much appreciated.... based on what I've learned from my short time on this forum, I'll take YOUR word for it... thanks.

For what it's worth, I spent a bit of time on the net, and although jacks, etc have been discussed in this ROA forum on numerous occasions, I didn't see anything along these specific lines. What I did find on the 'net was some google book references related to Chevelles, and the GTO... From the Chevelle "Restoration Guide (edited for brevity) "... "three different racks were used: a t-shape rack... a rounded keystone shape rack... and a square rack"... similar text in the GTO, but no reference to the square rack.

Although it can be tough to tell, it appears that the most common "Riviera-jack" was the a rounded keystone shape rack. [EDIT: Re-read Tom's reply- most common for Riv. is t-shape...??] There is/was a gentleman that appears to have dedicated a significant amount of time of his life on this subject trying to nail down the "correct jack" for Camaros that wrote... " "The more common keystone cross sectional tube jacks made by the Universal Tool Co. (stamped "UN" on the up-down lever with a 2-digit date code stamped on the RIVET HEAD". He has listed the various manufacturers (Universal, Walker Manufacturing Co. Auto Specialties Co. and Ryerson & Haynes, and how they mark their jacks.) My jack has no discernible markings whatsoever, 34" long, and again, fits pretty tight in the brackets. Does a known stock factory Riv-jack have any markings?

In another on-line discussion related to Chevelles, apparently the plant that the car was made at could be equipped with either the 'hollow' or 't-post'. Both Baltimore and Flint used the hollow and Kansas used the t-post. Again, this is Chevelle, and I'm not sure which rack they are referring to as 'hollow'. but I suspect all various GM brands could/would procure parts from various vendors in different regions, thus various designs, as long as it met the hook mechanism and capacity specs. My Riv' came outta Flint, sold at a dealer here in Edmonton Canada. ("Ya, ship those crappy jacks to Canada, they'll never know the difference...?)

Nonetheless, I appreciate the input. My car's never gonna be judged by anyone but me, but I always like to know the "rules" before I bend 'em... And although I have no fear in using a bumper jack for safety reasons, with my luck, I could see myself roadside with flat tire, AND my bumper laying on the ground, and me with a broken leg from trying to kick myself in the ass... . Seriously, tho' I will be looking at some other form of emergency jack to keep in the car that's been discussed elsewhere in the forum...

Thanks again, guys, much appreciated.

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

-----

Edited by MikeJS (see edit history)

Mike,

This is the page out of the `65 parts book which describes the jacks. You will notice, although there are 2 bases described, there is only one listing for the actual jack. But...there are quite a few jack part numbers listed in the descriptions of the two different bases. I didnt take the time to examine all the listed part numbers (I did this as a little research project 3 or more decades ago) but take my word for it, I have owned many `65`s and they have been equipped with two different style jacks. Maybe one particular style was not available as a service part or perhaps Buick just mistakenly omitted it from the parts book?

You will notice I have notes in the margin. These notes are based on actual part numbers which appear on paper tags on the original components which I noted based on cars in the fleet. If one has a car which is in original and decent shape in the trunk area these paper part tags, with numbers, usually hold up pretty well.

Hope this helps,

Tom Mooney

img332.jpg

• Like 1