Body ground

Scott Mckenzie

All cars need a ground strap from the engine block to the firewall. On new cars, the negative battery cable has an eye

in the middle of it that bolts to the body before it goes to the block, but on 60's cars a copper strap was used on all GM cars. If you

can't find one on your car, somebody left it off. On my 65, there is a copper strap behind the engine going to the firewall, and also the negative

battery cable has a pigtail coming out of it at the bat post that goes to one of the bolts holding the voltage regulator to the inner fender.

19 hours ago, Scott Mckenzie said:

On the firewall at the center of the trans tunnel I found a lonely 1/4  20  stud that was painted over with a generous amount of black paint .I think I have found the grounding stud . Thanks for your help fellas!

There is no grounding stud on the firewall that I am aware of. The factory ground straps are attached at the engine to a studded head bolt and attached to the firewall with a hex head fastener. The area where the ground straps attach to the firewall is not centered on the firewall but off to the right and left of center.

Tom Mooney

Went into the shop and took a good look at the firewall , I found two fasteners with the remains of a mounting eye, one on each side. My guess is that this is where the two straps went originally. They look like some hex head sheet metal screws to me. Now i`m off to get some straps

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scott Mckenzie said:

Went into the shop and took a good look at the firewall , I found two fasteners with the remains of a mounting eye, one on each side. My guess is that this is where the two straps went originally. They look like some hex head sheet metal screws to me. Now i`m off to get some straps

Hi Scott,

I have been meaning to get some pictures for you and finally did it. I have a 63 but, I can't imagine they would differ too greatly. The first 2 are of the driver's side. The second 2 are of the passenger side. They both connect in the same relative spot at the rear of the engine. Where the passenger side connects on the firewall was hard to get a shot of. It goes straight back and down slightly and connects at the bottom of the flat part of the firewall just above where it begins to bend and slant back for the transmission. I hope this helps.

Bill

Grounding strap 1.jpg

Grounding strap 2.jpg

Grounding strap 3.jpg

Grounding strap 4.jpg

• Like 1

I was beginning to wonder, with all the first generation Rivs out there running and driving, if anyone was going to post pictures, great job Bill.

I checked my '65 GS and found one "bolted" to the back of the head on the drivers side, with a hex head screw holding it on the firewall. I did not see one on the passenger side though?

IMG_3914.1.jpg.8a0c1a86f87458ddc3328324deab0b71.jpg

IMG_3916.1.jpg.6801e726a2c73fc3167d9db479fa1f62.jpg

Now you have a 1963 and a 1965 GS to compare, I would bet a '64 would be somewhere close to what is pictured above.

No picture but my '64 had a single strap on the drivers side from the head to the firewall as well as the black wire from the battery terminal to the voltage regulator.  Nothing I can remember on the passengers head.  I think I got my replacement, and addon ground straps, from Napa.

20 hours ago, Rivman said:

I was beginning to wonder, with all the first generation Rivs out there running and driving, if anyone was going to post pictures, great job Bill.

I checked my '65 GS and found one "bolted" to the back of the head on the drivers side, with a hex head screw holding it on the firewall. I did not see one on the passenger side though?

Now you have a 1963 and a 1965 GS to compare, I would bet a '64 would be somewhere close to what is pictured above.

Thank you for using the red arrows on the pictures. I’m going to learn how to use those pointers.

Red Riviera Bob

On 6/2/2018 at 4:58 PM, Rivman said:

Hi Randy,

Someone has had the heads removed from your car and put the ground straps in the wrong place. I suspect they probably dont have the head bolts in the correct places and used any attaching point available. It doesnt make a functional difference but I`m assuming this thread is based on what was original.

There should be studded head bolts in the rear positions and the ground straps should be attached to the studded head bolts.

Tom

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:28 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Randy,

Someone has had the heads removed from your car and put the ground straps in the wrong place. I suspect they probably dont have the head bolts in the correct places and used any attaching point available. It doesnt make a functional difference but I`m assuming this thread is based on what was original.

There should be studded head bolts in the rear positions and the ground straps should be attached to the studded head bolts.

Tom

I'm sure you're right Tom, I looked at my other two '65s and found them mounted just like Bill's are.

I guess I should have posted them instead of the one I did, but I did not think about the originality thing as much as posting that they were there.

I bought a couple of new ground straps for my '64 but the only ones that I could find did not have an eyelet on them that was large enough in diameter to go over the head bolt stud.  What have you found out there that works? Anyone?

Thanks,

Ed

You can use a step bit to drill out thin stuff like the ends of grounding straps or eye terminals to fit over larger studs if needed. 

I started it at the point he talks about and shows enlarging the hole on an adel clamp.