Found a '67 donor

PWB

Ladies and Gents

Seriously considering switching from power bench to stock power buckets with recline and a shift console.

Figure the hardest part is dropping the tranny. I don't care about value being affected.

Big job for me as I don't have a full shop.

I found a good '67 donor to yet purchase. I'll probably junk what's left.

Your thoughts on the task are respected and appreciated. (Expect some good humor chiming in too)

Thanks!

Paul - So you don't care that you will be increasing the value of your car? :). Because that's reality my friend. Very small % of people fuss over numbers on a Fisher tag. 

Why do you have to drop the tranny?  The hardest part will be cutting the arc welds and spot welds from the seat and console mount brackets, the shift linkage mount and placing them all and welding in your car precisely. A donor car is the best way to do this project as it is a little more involved than it looks on the surface and having a complete car handy is perfect for a correct changeover. Also the wiring will be all there too. It appears to me they used a cutting torch to cut the hole for the shifter mount as the edges were very ragged/melted. You can use a cut-off wheel  and heavy snips. The steering column  will need changed as well as adding the blank plate over the dash shift indicator.

• Like 1

Thanks JZ! That gives me confidence. The car is in MI. I'd be getting it sight unseen. Pretty cheap. A rust bucket.

I just got a picture of a crack in the console plastic. A bit discouraging. Will need to patch that up. I'm sure I'd have to re-chrome all the metal.

So, what are the hinges like in this year? Should I expect more cracked plastic at the console door hinge areas?

Thanks much

Crack.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

If the car is a bad rust bucket make sure the seat frames and tracks aren't too rusty. 

Many of those consoles crack in that area and down the side. For the most part cracks are from shrinkage and not enough reinforcement designed in but again expected life span of car was maybe 8 years? The crack certainly can be repaired as you mentioned. Typically the hinges hold up well unless really abused. Always liked the front compartment with push to release spring lid. sort of a hidden compartment since it doesn't have a visible latch. 

• Like 1

I like the direction you are taking your ride to. I am trying to accomplish the same task on my '70, but with the shorty console. I have already obtained the console and manual buckets. Now I have to find the time to make this transformation happen on top of the $ to refinish the seats. I believe the mounts for the seat tracks are available in the aftermarket. I'm sure someone can chime in on this one. Good luck on your changeover, I'm excited to see your results! 

• Like 1

Hey PWB

Am enclosing pix of how I spruced up the wood veneer on my console. There was a layer of some type of coating or clear something which I peeled off with a razor. Don't go too deep or you'll gouge out a piece like I did in the middle photo.  I sanded (gently) and applied some Miniwax urethane; forget what color I used but I have a small can of Natural as well as Cherry. I sprayed a clear over it when I was done. Not a concours restoration but I'm fine with it.

IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1125.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, rocky5517 said:

Hey PWB

Am enclosing pix of how I spruced up the wood veneer on my console. There was a layer of some type of coating or clear something which I peeled off with a razor. Don't go too deep or you'll gouge out a piece like I did in the middle photo.  I sanded (gently) and applied some Miniwax urethane; forget what color I used but I have a small can of Natural as well as Cherry. I sprayed a clear over it when I was done. Not a concours restoration but I'm fine with it.

IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1125.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

That's the varnish.  Get it off, all off.  If there's still some left, use some stripper on it.  Once all of the old varnish is gone, lightly sand it, use a tack rag to get all of the dust off of it, then seal it with some clear epoxy penetrating sealer (ain't cheap.)  Follow the directions then in a couple of days when everything is dry, but new varnish on it.  If you think the veneer needs to be re-stained, do it before you seal it.  Just be glad it's not a boat that you're redoing (like I am.)

• Like 2

This thread got me thinking......back in the day, buckets were somewhat of a novelty option. Now days, I'll bet you couldn't find a new car, or truck for that matter that doesn't have buckets. Owned 3 '68 Rivs, 2 with bench and 1 with buckets. I like the look of the buckets, but like Mr. Mooney, prefer the bench with the armrest. I need something to do with my right arm.

• 3 weeks later...

Woo hoo!

Found my console, column and power seats. Might as well throw in a sport ratio box while I'm at it. Need to find that gem.

Its gonna be a Merry Christmas. And a busy one.

Any advice on this project is welcome. Thanks

a.jpg

b.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:59 PM, PWB said:

Shame on Buick for not coating the un-seeables.  <_<

Gotta make Bruce Wayne proud.

. . . if it's bare steel they'll never see it, besides,  it will last long enough ! :rolleyes:

NICE RESTO job Mr. Paul - Bruce would be very proud !

Amazing what a little time and a rattle can will accomplish.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

On 11/16/2017 at 3:21 PM, PWB said:

Took care of that pesky crack and applied some positive reinforcement on the seam.

JB Weld for ABS plastic is one tough nut! I highly recommend it.

This thing has more tinsel than a Christmas tree.

Chrome-man is gonna love me.

PB160347.JPG

Bouker 1.jpg

Bouker 2.jpg

Paul, et al.

I repaired a similar type, but much longer, crack in an ABS door panel on my  old Blazer.  I used fiberglass cloth and two part epoxy. The epoxy come with tubes A and B mounted together.  Push down on the plunger and equal amount of A and B come out.  Use a body filler spreader to mix, and spread.  Then lay the fiberglass cloth on the epoxy mix and use the spreader to push the fiberglass down into the epoxy mix.  Walk away and let it cure.  It's a tough as the fiberglass; all the epoxy does is bond the ABS to the fiberglass.  Throw away the spreader, you'll never get the epoxy and fiberglass off of it.  The crack went back together so cleanly that I didn't need to refinish the good side.  If you knew what you were looking for you could find the crack, but you had to know where to look.   

If you need to fill in the crack, sand lightly enough to get some sanding dust.  Let the dust fill in the crack, then drip some super glue on the dust. Capillary action will draw the glue into the dust  Let it dry and sand it smooth.  You'll probably need to dye or paint if you have to do this.  If you don't want to sand, spread some baking soda into the crack and let the superglue wick its way into the crack.  It won't hold the crack, you repaired it on the back side, buy you'll have a surface that you can sand and paint. 

Back in the day, we used to call it "BS Plasticizer" - BS was for Baking Soda and we just made up the plasticizer part for marketing purposes.  You can buy 50" drums of baking soda, repackage it into 8 oz. jars, and sell each jar for about what you paid for the 50# drum.  I only worked there, didn't make the decisions.  

Ed

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:21 PM, PWB said:

Took care of that pesky crack and applied some positive reinforcement on the seam.

JB Weld for ABS plastic is one tough nut! I highly recommend it.

This thing has more tinsel than a Christmas tree.

Chrome-man is gonna love me.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 12:59 PM, PWB said:

Shame on Buick for not coating the un-seeables.  <_<

Gotta make Bruce Wayne proud.

17 hours ago, PWB said:

Filled in some scratches, re-flocked the "jewelry" box and shot satin black.

This pups almost ready to sling D-Engine Estes rockets.

Whats everyone else workin' on?

Definitely Great Work Paul! Sure does look like it’s ready for take-off.

Let us know who you pick for your chrome work, and how it goes.

Thanks for posting your progress, looks good!!!

12 hours ago, RivNut said:

"If you need to fill in the crack, sand lightly enough to get some sanding dust.  Let the dust fill in the crack, then drip some super glue on the dust. Capillary action will draw the glue into the dust  Let it dry and sand it smooth.  You'll probably need to dye or paint if you have to do this.  If you don't want to sand, spread some baking soda into the crack and let the superglue wick its way into the crack.  It won't hold the crack, you repaired it on the back side, buy you'll have a surface that you can sand and paint. 

Back in the day, we used to call it "BS Plasticizer" - BS was for Baking Soda and we just made up the plasticizer part for marketing purposes.  You can buy 50" drums of baking soda, repackage it into 8 oz. jars, and sell each jar for about what you paid for the 50# drum.  I only worked there, didn't make the decisions.  

Ed"

The dust...great idea Mr Ed. That just reminded me of a trick a master carpenter did - he mixed parent wood dust in glue to fill slight gaps! Incredible work. Hah -  in the Hamptons where they could afford masters. I was the floor sweeper.

Chimera - love the drone vids. Makes me miss No Cal so much. I was stationed in Lemoore and it was the best times of my life there.

A coworker of mine in TN just spent a grand on a drone with gimbled cam. He's comin down to shoot my Riv' next time he visits family here in FLA. I won't have my console in sending out the chrome work Monday.

NINE chrome pieces for console alone. Boy, those days are over. 66' - 67' were chrome hogs! Now I see why GM went to loop bumpers and plastic dashes. It was a DEAL with the FEDS.  LoL

• Thanks 1

Yeah, Im just getting used to flying this Mavic drone (made by DJI). Really like this one. I had a Yuneec drone previously until that one fell into the ocean while attempting to film a couple surfers from Canada. Get your friend to follow you in the drone while driving if able. I will be doing some of those type of shots when the weather clears. I love it here on the Mendocino Coast; seriously a paradise. 

Center console is going to be so sweet when installed. I need to get that going in the 68. 

NICE WORK!

Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 1.28.13 PM.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just received console shift lever fuzzy and I'm very pleased with the product. Not quite as dense as the original but its the best runner up I could find.

SO, I got plenty left over for any brave souls out there. Give a ring.

Fuzzy.jpg

• 1 month later...

SO, I finally completed my console resto. What a beast. Must be almost one hundred  parts with the 3 door's bushings, pins, captures, lock, nuts etc.

I'll never gripe about my late '80's Chevy console again. Maybe 25 parts total?

No comparison to mid-century modern nirvana!

Epoxied, painted, chromed, flocked, veneered / urethaned, lubed and ready.

Heres a resto tip: I wrapped exterior grade black vinyl over the shift slot plate.

I tried paint first. Home style paint over chrome is not gonna last.

CA.JPG

CB.JPG

CC.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Beautiful job Paul !  Bucket seats up next ?.. Thanks for all the great pics and advice . Is that a new shifter lens ? Or did you redo the original ?  Am I understanding you that the entire shifter area (i.e. Everything black)  is vinyl?..if so that is amazing . What adhesive did you stick it down with? Thanks 

Ken Reed

ROA 14549

Beautiful job Paul. Just beautiful! Imagine if you put that on ebay what it would sell for. I too was always amazed at the engineering that went into the console back when they didn't use computers to design things. Its a wonder Buick ever made money on these cars!

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, kreed said:

Beautiful job Paul !  Bucket seats up next ?.. Thanks for all the great pics and advice . Is that a new shifter lens ? Or did you redo the original ?  Am I understanding you that the entire shifter area (i.e. Everything black)  is vinyl?..if so that is amazing . What adhesive did you stick it down with? Thanks 

Ken Reed

ROA 14549

Thank you all for well received comments from all whom I consider my superior restorers. I'm a one car at a time restorer at most!

Mr. Reed, all my veneer is real wood. The black vinyl comes with self adhesive. It has slight stretch. Its the same material use for signage.  

My shift letters were starting to "dry rot" like most white plastics from the day.

I removed the damaged areas, back filled with plastic epoxy then filled with white paint for plastic. Level polish. I did loose my backlight as expected.

The vinyl source:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MG70CCW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another tip, don't ever let acetone get on your shift handle plastic - instant melt!!!

61ksuZoCxhL__SL1000_.jpg

• Like 1

My younger daughter has a Cricut machine connected to her computer.  I've had her scan bicycle decals from pictures for me then run a sheet of vinyl, as shown above, through the Cricut. And it cuts out a perfect replica.  If Paul were to have a template that could be scanned, he could get a Cricut with the proper software and reproduce the inserts for the rest of us.  ?

Ed

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rocky5517 said:

What a beautiful color!!!

Thanks Rocky and all.

All the used console veneers I've seen seemed bleached by time?

This tone best matches the shifter grip pad and glove box emblem "veneer". Seems dead on to me.

I did the vinyl by hand. Got it on the first shot.

But I'll work on a computer generated template when my job slows down.

Cheers

48 minutes ago, PWB said:

Thanks Rocky and all.

All the used console veneers I've seen seemed bleached by time?

This tone best matches the shifter grip pad and glove box emblem "veneer". Seems dead on to me.

I did the vinyl by hand. Got it on the first shot.

But I'll work on a computer generated template when my job slows down.

Cheers

You may already have the template if you still have the backing you peeled off.