avgwarhawk

1960 Buick Electra

Had a hearter core leaking issue.  Not a large leak but some fog on the windows in cool weather and smell of antifreeze.   I pulled the heater core assemble. 

IMAG0385_zpskq0qsjfl.jpg  

When taking the assembly apart I found that the assembly had been removed at one time as the tell tale signs were evident.  The core was found to be in good shape.  It appears the control valve was leaking some. 

IMAG0389_zpsf0wpafsc.jpg  

Upon removing the control valve...which should take no less than 30 seconds was a bit more for me.  The one stud of the three spun as the nut was turned for removal.  Dremel tool to the rescue.   The core had quite a bit of  scale.  I used a dilute potion of muriatic acid and water.   Passages free flowed much batter after a short sit of a few minutes. I rinsed and rinsed to assure the acid was gone and then added a solution of baking soda.  Rinsed and repeated with the rinse.

The next task was locating a valve ready to go or send in my valve plus $$$$$$$ to have it repaired.   Good old Harrison:

IMAG0394_zpstlel6l4i.jpg  

I was able to find a Harrison for a 60 Chevy.   It is one and the same with exception of  the replacement had the smaller diameter tube and I had to move my copper thermal coil to the replacement.  I cut my own gasket for the valve as well as a gasket for the area between the firewall and core assembly.  

Once assembled it made sense to me to hook up the valve/core assemble and let the 401 fill it with hot water/antifreeze and check for leaks.  I don't have a radiator pressure tester.     

IMAG0399_zpswwud5x8j.jpg  

IMAG0400_zpsr4gionh5.jpg

It was found to be leak free, got hot and ready for install after my test.   Reassembly took about 45 minutes.  Job done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

I don't have a radiator pressure tester. 

You can fashion one from a couple of pieces of heater hose and a tee:

- Connect one end of each piece of hose to the core.

- Connect the other end of each piece of hose to the tee.

- Submerge the core, then stick the tip of an air nozzle into the tee, pressurize, and look for bubbles.

If you want to go a step further, you can put a schrader valve on the tee so you can pump it up once and do a leak-down test.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)
  • Like 1