1960 Buick Electra

avgwarhawk

On 3/22/2017 at 7:29 PM, avgwarhawk said:

The previous owner used synthetic oil

Hey now, nothing wrong with synthetic oils... Without getting too into it, I wouldn't use anything but Mobil 1 EP or Castrol EDGE if using Synthetic. At least it wasn't Purple.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Beemon said:

Hey now, nothing wrong with synthetic oils... Without getting too into it, I wouldn't use anything but Mobil 1 EP or Castrol EDGE if using Synthetic. At least it wasn't Purple.

I noted on the receipts purchasing synthetic oil for the Buick.  It runs like a top so there is nothing wrong with that!   I now run Lucas Classic Car/Hot Rod oil with added zinc.  I did run regular old dino oil in the 54.  I did not note any odd ball wear when I took the top of the engine apart.  But, I decided to run an oil with added zinc.    

Changed the oil. Pulled off a clean Frame filter with a hand written date of 4/6/08. This car sat A LOT. Installed a Hastings filter and filled with Lucas Classic Car 10/W30. Lubed the front end. Had a bit of trouble understanding the zerk fitting for the propeller shaft. Posted in the other forum for clarification. While under there noticed the shocks are original. Makes sense on a car with 30k. No doubt this Buick was a garage queen that spent a good part of it's life sitting.

• Like 2

Small repairs continue.  I found the original vacuum actuator of heat blend door held open with a very small Bungie cord. Been there quite sometime.  Very old.   I figure the actuator was leaking vacuum and or the cable that was off the blower fan speed controller lead to an additional problem of the blend door not opening. Previous owner not understanding how the system worked or the cable off the arm for the speed controller was not diagnosed and repaired. Possible he could not find the part.  It is a mystery. At any rate, the blower fan controller cable I reattached as posted above.  I replaced the blend door vacuum actuator. The actuator vacuum hose connects to the cable speed controller. From there the vacuum source is off the manifold.  Once the fan switch on the dash and heat is selected  the vacuum actuator pulls open the blend door.  It works as designed now.  Bungie went in the trash.   

I have a set of springs for the rear and shocks for all four corners.  Next weeks project.  I also found the original glass bowl fuel filter assembly is missing.  I found one on Ebay.  I have the filter for it coming.  Also a project for this week.  

WP_20170331_001_zpsialwzm6x.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

There is a lot more room in your Engine compartment without all the A/C stuff that lives in mine. You can actually get to the back plug on the passenger side.

Strangely enough the car had an aftermarket Sears a/c unit that the previous owner had removed.  I have the instruction on installing and working this unit from Sears.  But yeah, a/c systems as well as other goodies(like pollution control devices) can make maintenance difficult.   I can remember the Chevy Chevette having to remove the a/c compressor to access the distributor cap!!!

13 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

I can remember the Chevy Chevette having to remove the a/c compressor to access the distributor cap!!!

Have you tried accessing and changing / setting the points on yours yet ?   For this fat boy, it is awfully hard.

I basically lay moving blankets on the engine, take off the air cleaner and the radiator "Shroud" and lay on my stomach.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Have you tried accessing and changing / setting the points on yours yet ?   For this fat boy, it is awfully hard.

I basically lay moving blankets on the engine, take off the air cleaner and the radiator "Shroud" and lay on my stomach.

I have on my 54. I call it motor surfing. Its a crappy spot.

And do I remember correctly that the points on these have to be set with a gauge? My Riv is hard enough to get to but at least it has the window,I have a flexible allen head driver and an old Hastings meter to do that one,real nice,I can get exact with the meter.Has the settings to do the carb as well.

Thank goodness I has a window to do them with. I too have a flexible driver though if you ask at the art parts house for one of those, they look at you like you are crazy.  I also have an old Sears Dwell meter that I bought when I was young. Some tools never go out of style.

I was able to score a fuel bowl/filter housing and bracket.   The original long since gone.    Noted above I replaced with a off the shelf filter.  Replaced the rubber hoses.  But me being me....I had to find the correct filter housing.

WP_20170405_004_zpslyngrlnx.jpg     

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Beemon said:

I put one of those on my 56. They just look cool, aren't the cheap plastic filter, beats the brass pancake filter, and the replacement filter is readily over the counter!

Three reasons I wanted/needed to go back to the original part application:

1.  Just looks right and cool as you observed

2.  It is the correct set up 

3.  The use of a straight filter and rubber hose allows the gas to siphon back to the pump and eventually the tank making for long crank times.  I physically see the gas siphon back through the visible filter.  

With this correct filter housing in place there is no longer any siphon of the gas to the pump and tank.

WP_20170405_005_zpsldprlyqd.jpg

• Like 3

It's an effective filter BUT, Mr. Earl's 62 Electra is not the only 62 Electra I know of that has had a fire.  I suspect these filters are the culprit when someone does not make sure they are sealed, after opening.  I distinctly remember one of these on a piece of equipment I owned that did not appear to leak at first, but shortly thereafter was practically gushing gas all over everything.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

It's an effective filter BUT, Mr. Earl's 62 Electra is not the only 62 Electra I know of that has had a fire.  I suspect these filters are the culprit when someone does not make sure they are sealed, after opening.  I distinctly remember one of these on a piece of equipment I owned that did not appear to leak at first, but shortly thereafter was practically gushing gas all over everything.

Duly noted sir.   I appreciate the heads up on this filter set up!!!   When I was assembling the glass portion to the body the screw portion that secures the glass bowl to the body concerned me.   Nothing there to keep it from unscrewing while driving.  With your information concerning these filters I will either add a dab of Lock-tite(non-permanent formula) or fine wire the hand screw portion to prevent it from backing off.  And of course keep an eye on it!!!!!    

• Like 3

I went over Snoqualmie Pass and survived Highway 26, where the entire time I thought I had a loose spindle nut and the front wheels were going to fall off. It put squeaks in places I didn't think possible and I think I lost a few thousandths off my front teeth chattering all the way. The one thing that didn't fail was the fuel filter (and the spindle nuts... lol). Just don't reuse the same rubber gasket and everything should be fine. My filter had the original stone element and I quickly removed it and other archaic parts to the filter, cleaned it up good, and haven't had an issue with mine since.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Beemon said:

I went over Snoqualmie Pass and survived Highway 26, where the entire time I thought I had a loose spindle nut and the front wheels were going to fall off. It put squeaks in places I didn't think possible and I think I lost a few thousandths off my front teeth chattering all the way. The one thing that didn't fail was the fuel filter (and the spindle nuts... lol). Just don't reuse the same rubber gasket and everything should be fine. My filter had the original stone element and I quickly removed it and other archaic parts to the filter, cleaned it up good, and haven't had an issue with mine since.

We have come a long way since stone filters.  Every tip is helpful.   The paper element and gasket appear to work well out of the box.  

10 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

I will either add a dab of Lock-tite(non-permanent formula) or fine wire the hand screw portion to prevent it from backing off.

I vote for lock wire.  I have a similar filter on the 3.0L MerCruiser engine in my boat.  I wired the nut on that puppy!  ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

Looks like you went with a set of progressively wound springs.  How's the ride height now?  Are you planning to replace the front springs too or just the shocks?

The ride height remained the same.  She sits level.  The rear with no one in the back seat would bottom out/hit the rubber bumpers with the old springs. Some sagging.   I have always done well with the progressive coils.  The ride is the same as the old coils.  A bit less body roll. 

The front coils are fine and will remain. Shocks will be replaced. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RivRider said:

Looks like you've got got her all shined up,I love that color,really stands out in the sun.

I used a light polish to remove the years of old wax that was applied.  Spend a few hours getting the wax build up that finds it's way under the trim and body.  Applied  a new coat of wax.  I'm pleased that the original paint does shine after all these years.   She has her warts and touch ups but that is what makes this Buick.  She gets a lot of attention because she is unusual from the others.       

• Like 5

When I did Elvira I used polishing compound,Dupont #7 first then wax and I forgot how nice that old lacquer paint was to work with,if not real bad you can always bring it back.Then the tooth brush and soft bristle scrub brush to get in the cracks and trim.Then I found Turtle Wax Ice that doesn't leave all that junk,several new ones like that out there,does a nice job.Where are you at,if I get Elvira going this year,it would be nice to see them side by side  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RivRider said:

When I did Elvira I used polishing compound,Dupont #7 first then wax and I forgot how nice that old lacquer paint was to work with,if not real bad you can always bring it back.Then the tooth brush and soft bristle scrub brush to get in the cracks and trim.Then I found Turtle Wax Ice that doesn't leave all that junk,several new ones like that out there,does a nice job.Where are you at,if I get Elvira going this year,it would be nice to see them side by side  

Toothbrush is the tool of choice!   I got Pinnacle wax for Christmas.  Super nice wax and not dust/past left behind.  

Are you outside York PA?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

I feel like Johnny Cash. One piece at a time.  

Out with the old and in with the new..

WP_20170412_002_zpsofh8t7ez.jpg

WP_20170412_004_zps2hqwzdl9.jpg

Looks like the bushings need a little more compression.  On swaybar links you usually tighten until the the nut bottoms out. :)

• Like 3

And out with the old and in with the new.   I have two new Cokers on the way.  Clock appears to want to work so need to look into that a bit more.   Fuel pump replacement next and related rubber hose from pump to steel line running inside the frame.  Check on the heater core or control valve possible coolant leak at one or both.  Rebuild carb.  That will be all!

WP_20170412_006_zpsz9lyzyge.jpg

• Like 3