'52 Roadmaster

Restorer32

Common problem, very difficult to find a good replacement.  The 1950's gurus can correct me if I'm wrong (I'm more of a '60s guy), but I think 1952 was the only year with a 4-barrel carburetor on the Straight 8 engine.  That's what makes it so rare, it is a one-year-only part, and only on the Roadmaster.  There have been many discussions on how to repair them, but all the repair methods seem to fail after a while.  I think most people with the problem end up having someone make a new one.

Having said that, a 1952 Roadmaster is a neat car, so I wouldn't let a manifold issue steer you away from getting it.  Just realize what you're up against.

• Like 1

Roy is correct, the '52 Roadmaster is the only year that a 4-barrel carburetor was put on the straight 8. However, the end pieces of the manifold are the same, whether for a 2-barrel or a 4-barrel carb., and I think the center portion might also be the same (I've never worked on a '52 Roadmaster), but the portion that goes to the base of the carburetor is unique to 1952. Cracked exhaust manifolds are rather common on the 320 engine. I have some spare ones.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Intake or exhaust manifold leaks? TxBuicks is right, the 4-barrel was one-year-only and intake manifolds are tough to find but they aren't notably prone to cracking ( If you need a 4-barrel intake, there's one on Ebay right now that seems reasonably priced: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-BUICK-ROADMASTER-320-4bbl-Intake-Carter-Airpower-Carb-One-Year-Only-Rare-/121942832481?hash=item1c645bf561:g:knIAAOSwAvJW~t5R&vxp=mtr). However, I'm fairly certain the exhaust manifolds are the same as all the other post-war years, so while they're not exactly common, it will not be impossible to find a workable set. We've had a lot of discussion about possibly casting up some new ones for the big series cars, and at some point someone did make them, but that isn't going anywhere at the moment.

You should be able to find a usable core for the exhaust, too. It might take some searching and since the manifold is actually made up of three pieces, you might have to mix and match a few sets to get a complete, crack-free manifold, but they're out there in greater numbers than, say, the dual carb setup from '41 and '42. There are several various chunks on eBay right now at wildly variable prices, so keep an eye there and maybe try to confirm where your client's manifold is cracked. Perhaps you'll only need to replace the one part.

As for installation, the best way to do it is to use the copper insert rings and try to do a dry fit without a gasket using graphite as a lubricant/sealer. You will probably have to mill the manifold mating surfaces flat, and that's critical. If that's not possible, then there are gaskets available that work, (which is ultimately what I ended up using on my '41 Limited, in conjunction with the rings). There are also special spring washers that you should use that allow the manifold to move around a bit as it heats and cools. I'm of the opinion that a lot of the stress comes from the intake and exhaust manifolds being bolted rigidly together, as they have different temperatures and expansion rates. I might think about using smaller diameter bolts there to allow the castings to move around a bit more, while still clamping them together.

There's no easy answer. Cracked manifolds on Buicks are a problem. But being careful with assembly and starting with good cores will get you 90% there. Plenty of help around here if you need more advice. Hope this helps!

Greetings

Having two of the intake/exhaust manifolds that I have done work to make useable I can give a little insight to the upcoming possible issues. The unique center section of the three piece exhaust was a one year only design engineering failure. Last new old stock I heard of went on EBay for 1500.00. A guy told me he had converted the intake to take the two barrel center exhaust, earlier version for the 320". Tried it and it works. Posted the procedure I used with text and pictures. Got tied of chasing my tail looking for an uncracked one destined to crack again! I certainly wouldnt want to be the one to have to warranty that repair if the original does somehow get stiched together by the rare welder good enough to keep his sanity while trying to fix one of those! I should say how I really feel about those instead of holding back. Right.Lol!

The front and rear sections of the exhaust manifold are probably fine but it's that center section that is a nightmare to locate and afford.  Adapting a 1951 or older center section to the 1952 320 intake manifold is probably your best bet as even if you can get the old one brazed up, it will never last long.  Repro center sections are available for about 1/3rd of the price of a NOS one from 1952.  

In cruzing the web, I stumbled on a company called "Empire Motors Inc." that says they cast exhaust manifolds for 320 motors, from '31 to '53.

Anybody know anything about these folks ?

Or better yet, bought one of their new cast manifolds ?

Mike in Colorado

PS; they are in El Paso, Tx, See attached.

img098.jpg

Edited by FLYER15015
more info (see edit history)

I seem to remember a Buick parts vendor who set up on the White Field at Hershey who was repoping them. He was in the row by 322 at the west end. I think he ran a display ad in Hemmings, maybe the old Bugles, too. It's one of those hazy memories, but I bet it gets clear around 3 AM.

Bernie

• 2 weeks later...

And so the quest begins. All three exhaust manifold sections are pigeon crap welded together, slathered with stove cement and still cracked and leaking. Anyone have these parts for this '52 Roadmaster? CARS has the two end pieces in their catalog but they are out of stock and no idea when more might be available. Anyone know anything about an outfit going by BuickNOS.com? No way apparently to contact them by phone. They list parts only by part number, not application. Part numbers for the two end sections and the center section? Intake portion is fine.

2 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

And so the quest begins. All three exhaust manifold sections are pigeon crap welded together, slathered with stove cement and still cracked and leaking. Anyone have these parts for this '52 Roadmaster? CARS has the two end pieces in their catalog but they are out of stock and no idea when more might be available. Anyone know anything about an outfit going by BuickNOS.com? No way apparently to contact them by phone. They list parts only by part number, not application. Part numbers for the two end sections and the center section? Intake portion is fine.

Greetings

Pair of reproduction 320" ex manifolds. PM if interested. Greg

22 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

" three exhaust manifold sections are pigeon crap welded together, slathered with stove cement and still cracked and leaking"

That sounds like a menu entree in the diners I stop in.  Did you lift the description from the lunch specials in Catskill, New York?

Catskill 008.JPG

Catskill 002.JPG

einreB

22 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

• Like 2

I have all three pieces: center, left, and right. My center piece is brand new; the end pieces are used but with no cracks. $1000 for all three, plus $35 shipping. Photo shows the center and the left piece. I have the right piece, but it is in another building.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx

IMG_3299.JPG

I just don't see how your center section could work. On yours the exhaust flange is parallel with the exhaust ports in the block. On ours the exhaust flange is perpendicular to the exhaust ports on the block. I also see no heat riser butterfly. Am I missing something? On ours the piece you show plus the heat riser assembly is one casting.

• 2 weeks later...
On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 5:32 PM, FLYER15015 said:

In cruzing the web, I stumbled on a company called "Empire Motors Inc." that says they cast exhaust manifolds for 320 motors, from '31 to '53.

Anybody know anything about these folks ?

Or better yet, bought one of their new cast manifolds ?

Mike in Colorado

PS; they are in El Paso, Tx, See attached.

img098.jpg

Yes I Have heard of Empire. They are selling a complete 3 piece branD new casting for the be 52 Roadmaster 4 barrel.  SIT DOWN... for $3800.00 

Rapid,

HOLY CRAPPOLLA !

I new I should have pursued getting my foundry interested in casting these 3 parts.

Only concern is which year to choose.

There seems to be slight differences in the center section. I guess I could choose 2 of the most common.

I hope the 2 end parts are common to several years.

So that would mean 4 patterns to make.

Mike in Colorado

PS, If mine ever craps out, I'm going to have Erik make me a beautiful set of headers and run duals............

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 6/26/2016 at 9:24 AM, rapidride2 said:

Yes I Have heard of Empire. They are selling a complete 3 piece branD new casting for the be 52 Roadmaster 4 barrel.  SIT DOWN... for $3800.00 

Stay far away from Empire Motors of El Paso TX.  Extremely long history of fraud, Goggle Val Blazer Empire Motors El Paso TX. or look in state and county civil records.

• Like 1