Is this one for real?

RivNut

Browsing some nearby CL listings, I came across this.  Could it be on of the rare ones?  No mention of the engine code in the ad, just the reference to the Gran Sport and the super wildcat engine.  MZ code is the thing to look for.  Only 179 came from the factory equipped like this, if this is one of the real ones. The build date of 03D is within the correct dates for this. 

http://masoncity.craigslist.org/pts/5383081214.html

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

This guy has another Craigslist ad with a WHOLE bunch of 60's to 70's Riviera parts for sale including a dual quad engine sitting off to the side. I may have to make a drive down to check things out sometime.

If you hit the "prev" arrow a couple of times, you'll see that he has a couple of pretty much complete parts cars as well.  I say they're parts cars, he probably says they're restorable.

$7,000 seems crazy considering it needs a complete resto. What are these worth, when perfect? $35K?

If it is one of the 179 MZ engined cars, who knows what it might be worth if properly restored. On the other hand if it is one of the 179 MZ engined cars and it's not complete, then you pretty much know which creek you're up and where you paddle is.

It's in Mason City and sitting on cement. That could be significant.

Given the rarity, how much should it cost? And how would the value of the difference between the owner's price and the buyer's price be calculated? Whatever amount the price is chiseled down it still won't put much of a dent in the restoration cost. A desirable, workable car nearly 50 years old and under $10,000 doesn't seem outrageous if it's your thing.

It is easy to have an economic furrow in the gray matter. I keep telling my wife it is not the 1960's anymore. In the case of old cars it's not the 1980's anymore. Values depend quite a bit on what decade you entered the hobby and ones personal number of fish hooks they carry in their pocket.

There will be a long discussion by experts on the value of that car and then, while the discussion is going on, some unknowing buyer will just scoop it up and love it. AND THAT is something that has been going on since the hobby started.

Bernie

Calmar, IA

Draw a straight line east / west between Madison, WI and Mason City, IA and then draw a straight line north / south between Eau Claire, WI and Cedar Rapids, IA.  Calmar is at the intersection of the lines.  It's about a zillion miles from anywhere.  How in the world did so many Rivieras / parts make it to that part of the country?  Population - 965.

I just talked with the seller of the '66.  The first thing that I asked him was if the engine was an MZ coded engine and he said "I wish, they only made 179 of those.  This one is an MW, a dealer installed setup." 

His grandfather owned a Buick dealership in NE Iowa and was fond of ordering some uniquely equipped cars.  He's got parts and more parts.  25 acres out of town.  He last belonged to the ROA in 2010.  First name is Jeremy and the last name is something Wiermar.  Nice guy, seems honest.  If you need some parts, give him a call. 

Thanks for checking on it Ed. I didn't think it was an MZ. Seller seemed pretty knowledgeable but didn't mention it in listing. After sitting for 25 years in IA that poor car will be rusted internally from firewall to trunk. Window leaks left unattended for so long will wreak havoc. Its value is in parts....unfortunately. As far as parts his best bet is to try and sell by the truckload unless he has years to do it piece meal especially since he is in a remote location. Probably a lot of parts there that people need for their car project. 

Yes Kevin - I definitely think you should drive down there! I bet there is a ton of other stuff not seen in pics.

I have the manifold and the carburetor to put a '66 Q-jet on my '64.  I always liked the way my other '66's ran with that carb.  I know what I'd like to do for an air cleaner but haven't seen one for a while.  I asked Jeremy if he had a chrome air cleaner from a '66 Gran Sport (the big pancake piece as was on the '63 and '64 but chrome plated) and very calmly he said "oh yeah, I think I've got a couple of them around here somewhere."  The guy knows his stuff.  Just wonder if he thinks it's priceless.

Go to Atlanta CL and do a search for 1966 Riviera rare GS w/2x4

That car has been around for a long time.  I don't know what the history is and why it hasn't sold.  If you notice it's located in the St. Louis area - Kirkwood, MO.  "5 known to exist" ????? From whom did he get this info?

Go to Atlanta CL and do a search for 1966 Riviera rare GS w/2x4

I would say "Buyer beware" for this listing!!! As Ed says, Kirkwood is right near St Louis and it seems odd it isn't listed on a St Louis area CL? Maybe he has worn out his welcome there?

This is, or was anyway, the same guy I got my "1 of 454 LX '65" from a few years ago. It seemed kind of odd at the time but he had several "rare" Rivs on CL back then, not everything is as he advertises. I believe Jason Z talked to him a couple of times about this MZ '66 GS and he was less than cooperative and reluctant to provide information and/or pictures? 

• 2 weeks later...