Any Gardeners out there?

Guest austinsailor

Guest austinsailor

I just purchased 2 Gardeners, a 23 coupe complete, and a 24 roadster in "kit" form.

Searching the web, here, Hemmings and elsewhere I find nearly nothing.

I'm wondering, are these the only ones left? Any hiding in the corners of this site?

Guest austinsailor

post-52471-143142708315_thumb.jpgThat is funny! And all I found when I searched this site and Hemmings - references to some manner of gardening.

Yes, I did find the Gardnermotorcars.com site. I read it from one end to the other. There is also a site dedicated to the cars made in St. Louis, although I'd have to do some searching again to locate it. It has more info on them, as well as many other cars made in St. Louis. I was surprised how many.

My father, who is about to turn 90, grew up a couple blocks from the Gardener Factory so he's particularly excited about this.

I really expected to find some mention of them on this site but was unable to locate anything. The info on the above sites is about all I know. I am getting quite a lot of original literature with them when I pick everything up so it'll probably fill in a lot of blanks.

I just purchased 2 Gardeners, a 23 coupe complete, and a 24 roadster in "kit" form.

Searching the web, here, Hemmings and elsewhere I find nearly nothing.

I'm wondering, are these the only ones left? Any hiding in the corners of this site?

Are you spelling it correctly when you search the web? Or more likely "spell check" is screwing you up. Since it doesn't find the name "Gardner" in its dictionary it assumes you mean the word for a person who works in a garden. It then inserts the "e" it thinks you intended, thus doing an incorrect search.

Don

austinsailor,

A couple of things I find useful here on the "D.F." are that you can use the Search function and type in, say, "Gardner" or "1928 Gardner Sedan" and go back 10 or 15 years for all posts of those descriptions. Also, since I type poorly with about five mistakes per line, I can go back and correct typos and misspellings easily in my old posts[using Edit Post at bottom of each of your posts].

When I type in "Gardner", for instance --- I find that some guy named prewar40 or something listed 3 Gardners for sale here just 4 weeks ago; a person in Anoka, MN had 2 cars for sale in 2013; someone has a picture of what may be a bronze Gardner instrument panel; and somebody's showing a photo of a monogrammed Gardner headlight he bought at a swap meet. There is also a Discussion Forum poster named John Gelfer who knows Gardners.

Maybe some of you Gardner Guys oughta get your own Forum here.

- - - - Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Guest austinsailor

Well, la-de-da. Spellcheck, and I didn't even notice! Bet that will help.

A while back I put on the sign in front of my store "Spellcheck is my worst enema" and thought it was cute. More true than I realized.

I'll do some more searching keeping a close eye on spellcheck's help.

Thanks much.

Guest prewar40

Hi Bob,

The 1927 model 90 roadster is now in New York, you'll find it on the 'for sale' page of my web site. I don't know about the W.H.O. on the door but the car still looks great.

I'll bet that the '23 and '24 Gardner came out of Montana. Austinsailor go to gardnermotorcars.com and click the link 'The Gardner Registry' and list your cars. If you're at

Hershey this year you will see my 1928 model 85 roadster, that was on the cover of Antique Automobile last September.

Guest prewar40
Is the above car a twin to the one Ed Jacobawitz had? Bob

No; half way into the 1930 models they changed the body.

To answer the original question there are 137 Gardners that I know about.

post-37292-143142710007_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Prewar Bob gave me good advice about purchasing a 1927 Gardner Series 1 Imperial Sedan. I found the car on his web-site. It was restored and stored years back. We're excited about putting on the final touches and getting it back out on the road along with my 1925 Franklin 11A Sedan.

post-103387-143142805221_thumb.jpg

I have seen a few over the years. About twenty years ago, I looked at a mostly nice sedan incorrectly painted light brown. However, it had a beautiful interior and ran very nice. I tried to talk a friend of mine into buying it. But he did not, and I have no idea what became of it (I even told him that if he bought it, he wouldn't have to mow his lawn anymore). Just out of curiosity, I would like to know what happened to it.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Guest prewar40

Was this the car? I may know of it, if I do I can tell you what state it is in today. I can't give you the owners name, but I can give him your email and he may contact you. Do you know the year, was it a 4, 6 or an 8, and where did you see it?

post-37292-143142809786_thumb.jpg

I couldn't say if that is the one I saw or not. It is about the right year and style (unlike the '27 sedan further up). It could have been repainted later. The car I looked at was mostly one color light brown/beige about twenty years ago. Sadly, my friend passed away at much too young an age a couple years later. It often makes me wonder about the car in an odd sort of a way.

Thanks Prewar40.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2