Fave movie for Buicks?

Guest Dynaflo2

Guest 70 Electra

Yes, the Go-Go's video features a Titian red 60 LeSabre convertible with gray interior.

Of course, the BEST Buick movie ever, is Facts of Life with Bob Hope and Lucille Ball. It is full of great brand new 1960 Buicks! Look closely and you'll see that Lucy's car is a LeSabre convertible in the exterior shots, but all the interior shots feature an Invicta. Whooops!

I'd like to see that Lucy and Bob movie...who didn't love Lucy, especially around 1960!!

My favorite Buick movie...heck, my favorite movie, period, is Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte with Bette Davis, Olivia deHavilland, Joseph Cotten, and Agnes Moorehead. Great story and terrific cinematography...and scary as all get-out! Since it's an old movie, there are some unintentionally funny parts, but overall it's a great flick. I can watch it again, and again, and again! I've seen most Hitchcock movies, and I like "..Charlotte" better than any of them.

Bill P.

Guest Tonys Buick

How come no one has mentioned one of the funniest "car" movies of all time "Used Cars" 1980. In the beginning of the movie one "Rudy Russo" played by Kurt Russell- one of the salesman sticks a Dollar bill onto a fishing pole line, and baits a customer across the street from the brother Fuch's used lot, slamming the customers head into the open door of a '73 Buick Centurian Convertible. Great shots of a lot of '60's & 70's American iron, with quite a few Buicks in it. Losta fun, with Lenny & Sqiggy from Happy Days playing the role of a couple of electronic genius.

-Tony

'49 Buick 56S Sedanette

'64 Skylark 2-Dr Hardtop

'65 Skylark 4-Dr Sedan

Guest Dans 77 Limited

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tonys Buick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How come no one has mentioned one of the funniest "car" movies of all time "Used Cars" 1980. In the beginning of the movie one "Rudy Russo" played by Kurt Russell- one of the salesman sticks a Dollar bill onto a fishing pole line, and baits a customer across the street from the brother Fuch's used lot, slamming the customers head into the open door of a '73 Buick Centurian Convertible. Great shots of a lot of '60's & 70's American iron, with quite a few Buicks in it. Losta fun, with Lenny & Sqiggy from Happy Days playing the role of a couple of electronic genius.

-Tony

'49 Buick 56S Sedanette

'64 Skylark 2-Dr Hardtop

'65 Skylark 4-Dr Sedan </div></div>

There are a few of these "movie" threads on the board here . And I know that the Centurions (3 if you watch closely) in "Used Cars" are mentioned in one of those other threads.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_Thriller

Has anyone caught the new NBC series Life? I had the TV set on NBC and turned it on tonight and saw a black car, which piqued my interest. Here it was a GN with silver down the middle of the hood and it's a cop car grin.gif Needless to say, on the brief portion I saw, he caught the guy he was after.

Guest imported_UncleBiggy

I got the Buick bug not from movies -but from a TV series.

"Highway Patrol" the 1955-59 syndicated series starring Broderick Crawford. After the show's initial run, it was rerun for the next 12 years. While other kids were watching cartoons after school, I'd race home to catch Highway Patrol at 3:30PM. For years, I never missed an episode.

The show also had a profound affect on my life. For one, my love for the 50s, love for old cars (virtually every make appeared on this show) It also inspired me to move to the country as most of the show was in a rural setting. Relatively few television shows were filmed outdoors in the 1950s, whereas this one was.

Those 1955 Specials the patrol used in the first season just mesmerized me! Its my 2nd favorite Buick next to the 1950-52's

• 1 month later...
Guest imported_Thriller

The Hessen Affair is filming in Winnipeg as I type. I stopped by the shoot this evening for about half an hour.

The movie is set immediately following the end of the war in Europe (WWII), so all the cars on pre-war. I know there is a '38 Buick (go ahead and toot your horn John) in it and I heard there is a '34 Buick there that hasn't been really seen before here in Winnipeg. My '41 was initially looked at for the movie, but the art director didn't like two tone cars...so much for realism. They wanted a limo and there is a '41 Limited here in town as well, but the owner isn't available, which makes the car unavailable for the movie...sigh.

They got a number of their cars by contacting the Manitoba Classic and Antique Auto Club, of which ewing and I are members.

I look forward to being able to see this movie, if only to recognize the cars and the locations.

The comment about Lucille Ball reminded me of an episode of "I Love Lucy" that featured Buicks.

It was an episode where they were going across the border into Mexico. Lucy drove a stunning '58 Roadmaster convertible in several scenes. Someone else, I think, drove a '58 Special or Century convertible in the same episode.

And, if we are going to include TV shows, the old Perry Mason show usually had at least one high-end Buick in it, depending on the year it was filmed.

Guest imported_MrEarl

One of my favorite movies of late is "The Lost City" produced by and starring Andy Garcia with Ines Sastre, Dustin Hoffman and Bill Murray. Set in 1958 Cuba it has a couple of 58's but the really mystique one is the 49 that appears only for split seconds and then sometimes out of focus. A really great movie but not very historically correct in it's depiction of pre-Castro Cuba.

A "love story" worth watching.

The Lost City

Guest Dans 77 Limited

I noticed a 76 Limited was used as a getaway car for Al Pacino in "Carlitos way".

My 77 and my wifes 67 are trying again . They have been used as background cars in a movie being filmed here now called "Adventureland". Also a couple of other cars from our chapter are in the background too. A 76 Limited and a 73 Riv. Seeing as this is a Disney picture ... maybe this one will actually get released.

Dan

Thriller suggested that I post in the movie thread.

I'm going to say my favourite movie with a Buick in it is yet to be released. It is The Hessen Affair, and it is currently in production with shooting in Winnipeg for 25 days, on right now, and a second shoot in Europe later, then on to post production.

My 38 Buick is in the movie as a 'hero car' , being one of the main character cars. This shoot is in 1945 New York City, immediately post war. Very interesting story, that you can read about

http://www.thehessenaffair.com/

http://www.corsan.be/news/files/34_hessen_affair_press_release_final.doc

Thrillers 41 Special was considered but the director wanted single color cars ( directors perogative of course) going for a look in the movie I guess.

This will be an excellent movie from an old car guy perspective as they have 25+ cars all contemporary to a 1945 scene. It is fascinating to see the work on set.

I am in the movie also driving my car in some scenes where they 'double' my car. But the majority will be the actor , and a stunt driver, hired to do some fancy driving with the 38.( I'm sure I have performed most of the driving he will do with the car, but the risk of hitting other vehicles can be his not mine, while on the set.

Leading the cast are Billy Zane, Michael Bowen Lyne Renee and Noah Segan.

I'll pick out a few pictures and post shortly.

here are pictures with the movie cars

Excuse the spelling error in the picture title, should read Hessen, not Hessin. I delegated the picture download and my assistant failed to check the spelling. I can't fire her though.... I can't afford it, and she'd probably stop doing my dirty laundry if I raised the subject.

post-37461-14313795599_thumb.jpg

post-37461-143137955998_thumb.jpg

post-37461-143137956004_thumb.jpg

post-37461-143137956011_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Thriller

I'd read about the movie previously, but don't recall picking up on the main character's names - Nash and Durant...it has to be a car guy's movie.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Skyking

Went Saturday evening to see American Gangsters......Great Movie set in the late 60's. They used quite a few Buicks in the scenes from Skylarks to Electras.

I got bored the other nite, watched an old movie on Turner Classic Movies, 'Mr. Brandings Builds His Dream House', and he drove a '41 Buick Convertible during the complete movie, all except during the close ups, when the steering wheel was definitely not a Buick. Paul

Guest Reatta1

Watched a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie the other night titled 'Pictures of Hollis Woods' and it had what looked like a early 70's two door Centurion in it. Sissy Spacek played a 'forgetful' older lady and it was what she drove.

Guest Dynaflo2

The '39 Buick that was in Casablanca is reputed to have been in the collection of the late Len Immke of the Immke dealerships in Columbus, Ohio. His collection was broken up several years ago, but I did get stick my head in the '39 that was allegedly in the movie. Now all I have to do is take the 60-mile trip to the north of Columbus to Malabar Farms, where Bogie & Bacall got married.

Here's lookin' at you, kid.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 'Reatta1'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Watched a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie the other night titled 'Pictures of Hollis Woods' and it had what looked like a early 70's two door Centurion in it. Sissy Spacek played a 'forgetful' older lady and it was what she drove. </div></div>

I mentioned that right above you....... whistle.gif

I'm pretty sure that was a LeSabre.

Guest Johnpaul Ragusa

What got me to buy my 40 81C Phaeton was Casablanca. Its Bogeys car in the end. I remember the actual car sold at Sotheby's I think for like $225k.

Guest Reatta1

Sky, I missed your post, didn't even see it. I couldn't see any badging on the car. It looked like a hardtop to me. I recorded it for the wife. If she didn't delete it I'll take another look and see if I can identify it better.

Jim

• 2 months later...
Guest 63Stude

As I've mentioned here before, my absolute favorite movie is "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" (1964). It had more Oscar nominations than any scary movie up 'til 'Silence of the Lambs'. Very much the flavor of a Hitchcock movie, but I like it better than any of the Hitchcocks (and I've seen 'em all!). There are two '64 Electra six-window sedans and a '64 Special sedan featured in the movie. Here on YouTube is the last few minutes of the movie (might 'spoil' the movie a bit if you haven't yet seen it; might not), but you can see the dark-colored '64 Electra in much of these scenes.

Bill P.

• 1 year later...

Just saw an old sci-fi movie on Turner Classic Movies, "I married a monster from Outer Space."

Opening scene had a beautiful '55 (I think) Roadmaster convertible in the opening scene. Of course the movie was filled with '57 Plymouths of every shape and size, but the Buick and a '55 Caddie showed up first!

Joe

Yes Pete. See the same movie last night the roadmaster sure looked good to me. But my best one was in rain Man U. got to see that. All through the movie.

Have a great BUICK day

Frank

1940 -- 60

1972 Skylark

1983 Riviera

1994 roadmaster

Guest Reatta1

Was watching 'The last boy scout', with Bruce Willis, earlier today and he's driving a boattail Riviera in that movie.

• 2 years later...

Last night, my father and I watched "The Tragedy of King Richard II," which is a Shakespeare play transcribed to the 1930s. Ian McKellan plays King Richard, who in this case is a Hitler-esque dictator who is chauffeured around in a 1934 or '35 Buick sedan. Nice!

New York New York made around 1976

Two great scenes with a '41 Buick

In one of the scenes when Robert DeNiro Picks up Liza Minnelli she ask "what this?" he says "It's a Buick". She says "what?" he says "A Buick! a 1941 Buick" "get in" It was the best part of the movie, I loved it:)

Wayne

1941 Super 51

post-78086-143138875352_thumb.jpg

post-78086-143138875382_thumb.jpg

Amazon.com sell package deal DVD's and awhile ago I purchased a FILM NOIR Classic Collection Vol.4 set of 10 black and white suspense thrillers.

The set included a movie called THE BIG STEAL starring Robert MITCHUM, Jane GREER and William BENDIX which was filmed in Mexico in the late 40's.

MITCHUM and GREER drive a 1935 Series 40 Convertible Coupe throughout the entire movie and in a couple of scenes are pursued by BENDIX driving a 1949 Buick. The 1935 got handled pretty roughly by the stars, frequent gear crashing and clutch slipping ( not to mention bullets smashing the rear view mirror ).

Interestingly some interior shots which I guess were shot in the studio show the dash of another make - not Buick.

These FILM NOIR collections are really cheap and can be purchased on line from Amazon - well worth it just to see the cars.

post-31244-14313887576_thumb.jpg