Celebrities

noah_fexx

In the Buick "history" book, it mentions that Buick and Hollywood were tightly linked. Many Buicks used in films in the later 1930s and 1940s, plus Buick police cars in the "Highway Patrol" television series (starring Broderick Crawford) in the middle 1950s. Many custom Buicks built for many Hollywood stars back then too. Plus the famous Dale Robertson 1958 Buick convertible, complete with cowhide interior, shotgun holsters in the door panels, and a set of Longhorn horns on the hood.

Bob Hope was a Buick advertising spokesperson in the early 1960s. Possibly how Buick came to be "linked" to golf as Mr. Hope was a golfer?

There is an episode of "I Love Lucy", where Ricky and Lucy are driving 1958 Buicks over the California border into Tijuana, Mexico. Some outdoor driving shots, but most of the action was obviously done in a studio (from the lighting issues). In one scene, the dual rear radio antennas are pointing forward rather than toward the rear of the car--not sure how or why that happened, but it did. I bought that episode several years ago in VHS tape.

In the 1962 television season, Perry Mason was driving a black Buick Electra 4-door hardtop. A change from his usual Lincoln convertibles back then, and prior Fords.

That's all I can think of for now.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest imported_MrEarl

and let us not forget the Buick sponsored "Buick Berle Show" starring Uncle Miltie (Milton Berle)of which only lasted 2-3 years and was replaced by the greatest "sit-com" of all time "The Honey Mooners" starring Jackie Gleason.

and awaaaay we go.........

Try this one.

The attached photo is of a car supplied by GMH-A ( General Motors Holden - Australia ) in 1939 for the Governor General, so the King and Queen of England possibly rode in this vehicle as well when visiting their Australian representative down here.

The question is what make of car is it?

post-31244-143137901001_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Thriller

One of them is at the Sloan, as well as another Royal car...I forget the year, but it was older if I recall correctly. I may have a photo somewhere, but I have to get back to packing as we leave in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_Thriller

Hmm...I'll have to get someone I know in Ottawa to take a look then...I know there is a national transportation museum there...there is also the Museum of Civilization across the river in Gatineau, Quebec.

Guest elk93001

A couple of things that I recall.

As far as advertising, Dustin Hoffman used to advertise Buicks in the mid-60's

I recall seeing on the Tonight Show, Jay Leno drag racing his Wife's Grand National against Tim Allen's Mustang GT.

Dave Navarro, guitarist for Jane's Addiction and one time guitarist for Red Hot Chili Peppers has an '87 Grand National given to him by his wife, Carmen Electra

Here's some information about 1959 Buicks owned by celebrities. First, Dick Clark, host of American Bandstand and countless game shows, purchased a new LeSabre convertible back in 1959.

203Dick_Clark_I-med.jpg

203Bandstand_II-med.jpg

While my older sisters were American Bandstand fans, my tastes ran to the great "Sky King". Buick sponsored the series during part of the final season, and here's a shot of Sky and Penny.

203Sky_King_and_Penny-med.jpg

Sky King took to the road in a new Electra 225 Riviera Sedan to celebrate Oregon's Centennial in 1959.

203Sky_King_at_Oregon_Centennial_with_59_B.jpg

I've never heard of this television actor who starred in a late '50's television series:

203Tris_Coffin-med.jpg

Among other notables who purchased 1959 Buicks new was singer Shirly Bassey, who picked up her Electra 4-door hardtop at London's Lendrum and Hartman Buick dealership. Bassey is best known in the U.S. for singing the title song of James Bond's "Goldfinger".

One of the 1960 Buick owners on this forum reports that a childhood friend's father drove a black '59 Electra sedan. The car was evidently purchased new by Robert F. Kennedy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try this one.

The attached photo is of a car supplied by GMH-A ( General Motors Holden - Australia ) in 1939 for the Governor General, so the King and Queen of England possibly rode in this vehicle as well when visiting their Australian representative down here.

The question is what make of car is it? </div></div>

Okay, so the Governor General of Australia in 1939/40 wasn't a real celebrity but I thought some pre war enthusiast would have answered this one.

The photo is from a book titled The History of Holden Since 1917 by author Norm Darwin.

The caption reads:

"Governor General's Vauxhall 25. Holden's special body shop produced this Vauxhall 25 stretched for the Governor General. GMH obviously didn't like the rear of the Vauxhall on an open car so they grafted on a Buick rear section. Buick parts also have been used for bumpers and front fenders."

So would this be a Buixhall or a Vauick???

Guest GRANNYS 70 SKYLARK

How about Cameron Diaz driving a '70 Skylark (like mine) in the film Vanilla Sky with Tom Cruise?

post-38750-143137901006_thumb.jpg

• 14 years later...

My dad bought a loaded, cancelled special-order '59 Lesabre 4-door 'flattop' (4439) that was half of a nearly identical his/hers pair (only the radio options were different between the two cars).  I have a strong suspicion the cars were ordered by or for a celebrity couple tied to one of the Buick-sponsored TV shows, as my dad lived only a few miles from Hollywood at the time (late 1959).  As the story goes, the cars were ordered but delayed in production until nearly 1960 Introduction.  A new order was placed for 1960 models & the twin '59's remained for a while at Southgate BOP assembly for use as 'VIP' shuttles.  With around 300 miles on each, they were shipped to the originating dealer for clearance.  The sticker price was around $4500 for each car (a $9k total order..!) and they were discounted to about $2500 each.  My dad bought one & his apartment manager the other.  The only really odd thing about it is that they were entry-level LeSabres, but loaded with almost every goodie on the option list (save for 4 or 5, with a couple of those being exterior trim upgrades).  They were even specified with 401 nailheads (NOT the 364 4bbl Power-Pack's distinct to the LeSabre line).  In trying to justify the unusual circumstances of the twin cars, my thought is perhaps they were to be used as a marketing tool by Buick to lure buyers from other makes to the LeSabre line, while still being luxurious enough to be suitable to their new celebrity owners.  I only wish I had more information on them.  It is a VERY intriguing story, at any rate.  I am currently creating a "clone" of the one my dad purchased.

B59 003.jpg

Mark

BCA #50584 (Los Angeles Chapter)

1959 LeSabre 4439 4-door hardtop (special order clone)

Edited by Mark59
signature (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...