What's your highest mileage Buick?

It's time to brag...<P>My 71 Riviera just turned 190,000 miles. After all those miles, and a major accident it is still really solid, with just a few rattles and squeaks.<P>When better cars were built Buick built them.

Guest Shaffer

MY highest mileage Buick, is my only Buick ever. Currently 109,000 miles on my 1972 Buick Electra 4dr. Few squeaks and rattles as well. Only some shaking of the doors on the roughest roads. (Typical of hardtop cars) Still runs good. Lowest mile Buick in my family is my grandfathers 1955 Buick Special with 63,000 actual miles. My parents had a 1985 Buick Regal with a 3.8 V-6 and it barely made it past 100,000 miles, before needing a transmission. They sold the car three years ago (even then about worn out) and the lady who bought it drove it from Tennessee to Michigan and back to Tennessee. Seen the car after that going down the road from time to time. Now it sets at a local junk yard. The owner said the engine finally blew. rolleyes.gif" border="0 <BR>That was the biggest junker my parents ever owned (besides a 1981 Oldsmobile Omega Brougham 4dr they bought almost new - w/ 60,000 miles) Transmission went out on it at 75,000 miles and the carb was always having problems. I think the best 80s Buick was the FWD Buick LeSabre, as well as the RWD LeSabres and Electras and the Estate Wagons. The Centurys was decent cars as well. Especially for the money<P>Tony<P>72 Buick Electra (109,000 miles)<BR>89 Pontiac Safari (164,000 miles)<BR>91 Honda Accord (167,000 miles)<BR>--------<BR>81 Toyota Cressida (172,000 miles) moms car<BR>88 Nissan 4WD truck (236,000 miles) dads truck<p>[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Like Tony, my highest mileage Buick is also my only Buick. '73 225 with 101, 300 miles and going strong. Gee, I bought it with only 83,500 and its only been 1.5 years. Grandmother's '92 Park Ave. has 116,000 on it now. Stepdad's '78 Impala (used to be mine) has over 165,000 on the 250 (love them inlines).<P>Zach<p>[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: 73Electra 225 ]

It was 31 years ago today that Mom and Dad traded the '65 Wildcat for their new '71 Centurion Formal Coupe. The Centurion has been mine since 1979, and, although it has not been my daily driver for many years, it still runs like new with just over 150,000-miles on the odometer. I have replaced the valve cover gaskets (once) and replaced the timing chain as a preventive measure. Apart from that, the 455 has enjoyed only normal maintenance. The oil never dips below the full mark between changes and it would be hard for me to imagine a more reliable car than this one has been.<P>Brian Laurance, BCA #5168<BR>1959 Buick Electra 4-door hardtop<BR>1971 Buick Centurion Formal Coupe<BR>1989 Buick LeSabre Limited Coupe

We had a 1983 Regal that we traded in with 120,000+ miles the odmeter broke a year B4 trading in. Our lowest is our 56 Special 41 with 49605 original miles, just bought it in September.

I have owned my 1940 Super convert since 1972,and it showed 21,000 on the odometer when I got it. I don't know whether it had been around once or twice,but it definitely was over 100k. The odometer now shows 19,000 so it has either 219.000 or 319,000 .<BR>My wife's 91 Park Ave. has 104,000 and it still runs like new. The lowest mileage Buick I have is a 63 Electra 225 with 25,000. It had 17,000 when I got it in 2000 smile.gif" border="0

Guest Mr. Solutions

My oldie currently shows in the region of 39000 miles, but I think it is closer to 139000. <P>Unfortunately, although EVERYTHING on / in the car is still original stock, she is not as lucky as some others, ie, she gets an "oil change" every 2 months with regular usage, if you know what I mean!!! wink.gif" border="0 <P>I've tried to track down the history of the car, but with the exception of the original owner and the owner for the last 10 years, there is a lot of "missing" miles...

The 95 has 49000, the 85 121000, the 84 156000. nothing major on any of these cars!<BR>But, my old 81 Century gave up and went to the junk yard at 130000. Engine and trans shot. A car that had recieved good care since<BR>it had 1600 on it. As I've said before a world of difference be between old and new style 3.8's

I have had many Buicks with over 100,000 mi. The most was a 84 Lesabre with 177,000.Never touched the starter, gen. carb, a/c,door locks,two electric seats,cruise, only changed brakes and a trans repair.Oil level never went below full.I dont change oil too often either.I had it 10 years. 67 GS Cv ,87 yellow turbo, 99 Park Ave

186,000 on my '85 Somerset. However the engine was replaced at 141,000 miles after I gave the car to my sister and she killed the great running Iron Duke. We put in a worse running 2.5 with even more miles(my guess 200k+). Still runs great unfortunately killed by tennis ball size hail.

Guest John Chapman

OK, this isn't about a Buick... But it's an interesting story...<P>I stopped at the service station on the Marine Base in San Diego to do my weekly fill up for my Mazda P/U. As I'm getting out of the truck at the pump, up cruises a white over powder blue 1954 Chevy Bel Air two door sedan in very nice condition. The driver is a 75-ish retired Marine. Naturally a conversation ensues about the car, which he's owned since new. After some chatting about getting the bumpers rechromed and the need to renew the paint, I asked how many miles he had on it...<P>The response: 1,079,000!<P>JMC

My father's Bamboo Cream 1970 Electra 225 4-dr hdtp now has 212,000 miles without any bottom end engine work, and the transmission is untouched. The valves were ground a few years ago, and I'm not convinced that the valves really needed to be done. Virtually no mechanical problems have been encounted in all these years of driving.<BR>The car still drives as fast as you want to go, in comfort, all day long.<BR>AK Buickman........

John, thats hard to imagine,wow. My 86 GMC Brigadier has 650,000 showing with a 671 Detroit inline 6cyl.2 stroke diesel = 426 cu.in. , 238 H.P.<P>This was a Kraft food refer truck, lease maintained. Most of us feel the engine probably had one in-cab rebuild.Hard to tell.<P>Another fine GMC product.

I had a 53 Special that had never been out of the city of Moose Jaw (speed limit 25MPH) and had 39,000 miles on it. I sure took some time to get it running at highway speed. After three clutches I colapsed a piston at 99,000 miles, totall overhauled the engine at 180,000 miles and sold the car at 250,000 miles. However my daily driver is a 1930 Pontiac that has been in the family since new and now has over 470,000 miles on it's original engine with only one rebore and rebabbit and the transmission has never been opened..<BR>Reid

I'am running an 88 pontiac tempest with 248,000km (149,000mi) 4cyl other than normal service still going strong, even hauled a 54 Packard back from ma (500mi)on a towbar with no problems.. never did ask Gm what the max towing capacity was for the car..just may have been a little over loaded rolleyes.gif" border="0

365,000 miles in a 1955 Special with no bottom end engine work. Bought in 1962 and parked it in 1976 due to engine knock and reduced oil pressure. Sorry to say I did NOT take good care of this car...repaired only if it would not go. Got me through high school and college with the usual stop light drag racing (beat stock 55 Fords and Chevies but got stomped by a 55 Roadmonster), took me hunting and fishing on 'jeep' roads ( had to weld a patch to the oil pan). All panels were customized by 'crunch'...one rear end collision broke the engine and tranny mounts and pushed the drivetrain forward and the fan into the radiator...straightened the frame (no body work), replaced the mounts and drove another 200,000 miles. Changed filter every 5,000 miles and oil if I could afford it...never did use oil or smoke. Still have this car as an 'organ donor' although nearly everthing is completely worn out!<BR>My current daily driver is a 1976 Olds 88 455 with 250,000 miles but this thing needed and engine, transmission and rear end rebuild at 150,000 miles and I took care of this car!! Should have bought a 76 Buick!! My last new Buick was a 1980 Le Sabre with diesel...clanked it's last at 140,000 miles and sold to a friend for $100 who put in a used gas motor and drove it another 200,000 miles (why didn't I think of that)<BR>Willie

most of my past Buicks were straight 8s that had over 100,000 on them. I'm sure thats been the case with countless others.<BR>On the other side of the coin, a neighbor lady had a 1980 Skylark, one of the then-(in)famous X cars. These had a major defect with the rear brakes locking up & throwing you into a spinout, which hers did (as my moms Chevy Citation did sometime later on!) The neighbor lady's Skylark ended its life at 34,000 miles because of the wreck (my neighbor was unhurt thank goodness)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1965 LeSabre conv (great driver, big hit at local cruise spots), odometer just turned over 100,000. I find it hard to believe that it took over 37 years to reach that! Not sure what was done to it iver the years but it sure moves out strong, doesn,t use oil and has a real strong three speed tranny! Love it to death!

Guest Dans 77 Limited

I only own 1 Buick right now ,when you own 1 as good as my 77 Limited is to me , you only need 1, so its the lowest mile , highest mile & best running Buick I own. It just turned over 75,000 miles.<P>Dan

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wildcat65401

hey there, all this sure is making me feel more secure.! thanks.<BR> my 65 wildcat 401 has 130,000 just replaced the timing chain which was LONG overdue.[someone on here warned me i was on borrowed time,THANKYOU.THANKYOU.THANKYOU.YOU SAVED $3000 & A BIG PAIN ]<P> my 69 electra 225 limited 430 /4 has 113,000 and a new tranny. it seems to be a great car.it has more options then i thought possible! my favorite of these is the "twilight sentinel".<BR> anyone got some hints on getting the power seats goin?<BR> anyway i cant recomend these 69's enough. shoulder harness seatbelts for 4.people drive like no others in atlanta!<BR> great brakes and stearing. see ya later.

Guest Skyking

My 66 Skylark 310 convertible has 117,000 miles on it. When I pulled the motor to do an engine compartment detailing, I also changed all pan gaskets and the motor was as clean as a whistle. It runs like brand new. The original 91 year old lady took real good care of this car. Not only is the motor untouched, but all the suspension is untouched. The whole car could pass for 17,000 miles.....

My 1970 GS Stage2 has 1530 miles on it. The front suspension has even less miles on it because it was in the air for a portion of those miles.<P> Any other low milers out there?<P> Pat Sweeney

2000 Park Ave. 120,000<BR>1965 Special 244,102<BR>1968 Skylark 2,405,778,(yes 2 million)<P>And all have original engines & tranny's<BR>Non burn oil (1 quart every 1800 miles)<BR>They are fine machines. My local Buick dealer can verify this. Truly "When Better Automobiles are Built, BUICK will build Them"<BR>Still True. Buick Motor Division, Flint MI. smile.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

2000 Park Ave. 120,000<BR>1965 Special 244,102<BR>1968 Skylark 2,405,778,(yes 2 million)<P>And all have original engines & tranny's<BR>Non burn oil (1 quart every 1800 miles)<BR>They are fine machines. My local Buick dealer can verify this. Truly "When Better Automobiles are Built, BUICK will build Them"<BR>Still True. Buick Motor Division, Flint MI. smile.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

my first buick, 1985 regal limited, black with t-tops, i bought the car when i was 16, im 22 now and i still have it. i got it for $1100, thanx to the prevous onwers cat that chewed threw the phone lines in his house and he didnt notice it for 3 weeks so he slashed the price on the car 2 times b4 i got ahold of him, he originaly wanted $2100 so i was pleased with the cat, anyway, i got it with 120,000 on it with the original motor, got to love the 231 6 banger i drove the car from FL to NY with that engine and trani and it never needed anything but new valve cover gaskets and an alt in almost 5 years. about 6 months ago i transplanted a 71 buick 455 into it, when i did this project the 231 had 378,932. i gave the engine and trani to a friend of mine and my fathers and he put it in a camaro for his 16 year old son to drive hes been driving it for about 5 months and i havent heard about any problems, i think that engine will go forever smile.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my 1990 Buick Regal GranSport with the 3800 in it brand new with only 6.2 miles on it. Because of the type of work I do I am constantly driving back and forth from Michigan to Malibu California. To date I have only rebuilt the transmission <because my tranny cooler leaked antifreeze in my tranny fluid and baked it> I am getting ready to roll onto 460,000 miles.

Buickgirl,<P>The current world record for verified car milage is for a Volvo P1800 on Long Island, whic I believe is up to 1.8 million by now (It was just profiled on Car and Driver TV 2 weeks ago, the milage may be more since that aired.) If you can verify that milage you should send it in to the Guiness Book of World Records people. <P>I know Volvo has an economic arrangement for the Long Island owner when he gets there. You might be able to profitable steal some of his thunder for GM!

• 14 years later...
Guest LynnLovesCars

My second husband helped me buy a 1998 Buck Century in 2005, since that day, it was a daily driven car for the most part, aside from the 18 months it sat the hot sun, without being cranked for the most part. When my husbands sickness forced us to allow our truck to be repossessed, so we replaced the battery and some of the hoses and the car is still running, even 2 years after my husband has been passed away.  It has 225000 miles on it.  The window regulators were shot ages ago, the radiator recently had to be replaced, the electrical has a loop issue that was bypassed so that the battery cranks the car, the paint is peeled and worn off, the struts are terrible, but she gets me back and forth on the daily trips I need and on the long trips like today.. Over 300 miles round trip today and still going.  No slipping, Little loss of oil asnd it is coming from around the seals. No ac, compressor needs replacement.  Its rough looking but its still moving my tail where I need to go. 

Wow, Dug this out of the Archives LynnLovesCars. No Idea what milage is on my 1915. My 1982 Riv Ragtop has 123,763. My 1996 Buick Century Custom has 89,573. Had 37,000 on it when I bought it off of eBay for $1,800. I guess I got my money's worth. A few minor problems with it through the years but overall it had been, and still is, a good car. And I see this is your first post, Welcome aboard. Dandy Dave! 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2

My  '60 is the high mileage one; just changed the oil last week and it is a little short of 84,000 miles. I do about 1200 miles a year with it so around '30 I expect the odometer to roll over. It had 69,000 and change when I got it in '01.

Bernie

• Like 1