1956 CONTINENTAL CONVERTIBLE MKII MARK 2

It is beautiful, but cringeworthy when you think about cutting up an original. I would think it might find a hard time finding a buyer, especially at this price!  (more pics in ad) 

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/san-rafael-1956-continental-convertible/7788102111.html

LESS THAN 1000 UNITS LEFT TODAY OF UNDER 3000 COUPES BUILT......
PRODUCED FROM 1956 TO 1957 (AS A COUPE ONLY)
NO CONVERTIBLE EVER CAME OUT OF THE FACTORY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IF YOU SEE A CONVERTIBLE, IT HAS BEEN CONVERTED... ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.
IT IS CALLED A CONTINENTAL AND THE MODEL IS A MARK2 (BUILT AND SOLD BY CONTINENTAL, A DIVISION OF FORD...NOT LINCOLN).
IT WAS THE FIRST (AND LAST) PRODUCTION CAR OF THE CONTINENTAL BRAND. THE MARK II IS NOT A LINCOLN. (EVEN IF IT IS POWERED BY A LINCOLN ENGINE).
IT WAS THE MOST EXPENSIVE AMERICAN CAR BUILT IN 1956 AND 1957 TO RIVAL THE LUXURY IMPORTS LIKE ROLLS ROYCE.

SO THIS IS AN ORIGINAL CAR....(MINUS THE REMOVING OF THE TOP).
IT DOESN'T HAVE A CONVERTIBLE SOFT TOP FRAME....THIS CAR NEVER HAD ONE, EITHER FROM THE FACTORY OR HOMEMADE.
OLDER PAINT IS DECENT ON A VERY STRAIGHT BODY
IT HAS ITS ORIGINAL ENGINE/TRANS.
POWER WINDOWS
RUST FREE CAR....GREAT FLOORS AND FRAME.
CHROME IS ORIGINAL AND VERY DECENT.
TRUE WIRE WHEELS ARE LIKE NEW.
WIDE WALLS TIRES LOOK FANTASTIC
IT RUNS AND DRIVES GREAT.
DROVE IT TO PEBBLE BEACH 2 YEARS IN A ROW
1000 MILE DRIVEN IN EACH WEEK END.
GREAT OLD CAR.... I AM OPEN TO INTERESTING TRADES.

email:  bc0efee1180131a7b0289c9b293a5835@sale.craigslist.org

00e0e_1X6zNPOXqoL_0ww0oo_1200x900.jpg00M0M_kzVsBpQSNEZ_0ww0oo_1200x900.jpg00p0p_kjE1PRbfKf3_0ww0oo_1200x900.jpg00c0c_8d5WSb39UQT_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg00z0z_QYmLTJPq0x_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg00j0j_a0UiEsuL60u_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg00Y0Y_5Eo6GHePhiA_0t20lM_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

It’s pretty. But where I live we have this stuff that sometimes falls out of the sky and can be really uncomfortable when it lands on you, especially if there’s a lot of it. It’s not all that predictable so having a top that you can bring with you is convenient. 

In the other hand, maybe I can buy a decent Mark II for $30k and pick up a pack of sawzall blades to make $19,985 profit. 

• Like 2

1956 Continental Mark II convertible 

A single prototype convertible went to the Ford family, while two others – including the stunning blue ragtop, below, were commissioned by Ford’s marketing group from new coupes that had been damaged in transit. “They were to be used as dealer-demonstrators in the Chicago area,”THE CAR AND ITS OWNER 1956 Continental Mark II convertible...

THE CAR AND ITS OWNER
1956 Continental Mark II convertible owned by Glynette and Barry Wolk

https://www.newsday.com/classifieds/cars/in-the-garage-1956-continental-mark-ii-convertible-k94706

• Thanks 1

It's beautiful, but you better have some money and a nice garage. I have a car collector acquaintance around the block who had a '40 Ford with the top chopped off. He called it a permanent convertible. 

It's o.k. looking. IMO, a lot of stylish coupes that were never meant to be convertibles lose a lot of the lines that made them stylish in the first place. I've seen pics of prototype First Generation Rivieras that were experimented with as convertibles, and they sorta leave me cold.

• Like 1

Mark II parts cars pop up often enough that if someone wanted to convert this car back into a hardtop it could be done.  Maybe convert it to a better color while they are at it…

On 9/26/2024 at 5:24 PM, bryankazmer said:

A factory convertible does exist. This ain’t it

I would differ.  Barry Wolk has a factory authorized convertible and I believe he could confirm one other one. I want to say Hess & Eisenhardt made his or the other one.  The fog of time is impacting my facts.  

I used to be active in the Mark II forum. Barry moderates that forum. He has not been active here for a long time.  I’m sure there are several Mark IIs with removed roofs as this was a common request.  

Even if I had the money this is an easy pass for me.  

• Like 1

A number of Continental Mark IIs, because of their high survival rate, received a convertible conversion during the 1980's-1990's from various aftermarket 'coachbuilders'.  The latter term is more discreet than the brutally direct 'chop shop'.  Some were very well engineered and executed, others not so much so.  Anyone considering one of these conversions needs to examine carefully and drive the car to determine if the body structure was augmented to withstand top removal.  A driving test where the image in the rear-view mirror is blurry and there is noticeable cowl shake should be avoided.  The other major determination is how well the folding top mechanism fits, is weather-tight and functions in operation which are frequently manual.    Regardless of how well the conversion is done, it's still a non-factory, modified car, should be approached and treated as such.  

BTW, the 'nostrils' on the quarter panel kick-up tell us this was a factory-equipped air-conditioned Mark II.  The vents for the air conditioner systems are overhead in the top registers.  (see photo).  

'56 Lincoln Mark II IA h.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/28/2024 at 6:27 AM, B Jake Moran said:

I would differ.  Barry Wolk has a factory authorized convertible and I believe he could confirm one other one. I want to say Hess & Eisenhardt made his or the other one.  The fog of time is impacting my facts.  

I used to be active in the Mark II forum. Barry moderates that forum. He has not been active here for a long time.  I’m sure there are several Mark IIs with removed roofs as this was a common request.  

Even if I had the money this is an easy pass for me.  

I was referencing his car. “Factory authorized “ is (pedantically) more accurate than “factory,” I will agree

I recently purchased a 56 MKII with less than 40k, original black paint, straight as an arrow. California car NO rust issues. Proof of celebrity ownership, including the title still in their name and photos published in a coffee table book.(not that made any difference to me)

Has everything including factory air and all the original hubcaps. The seller had stars in his eyes regarding the price.  Was on the market for several months no one even looked at it. It was priced at $45k, I looked at it drove it took it to a shop with a lift, checked all the rust areas finding none, I made an offer of $35k cash and he almost mugged me to get the money. 

This one is way overpriced, in the last couple of years MKII's have dropped in value.

just sayin'

brasscarguy