For Sale: 1937 Buick Roadmaster 4dr Trunk-back Sedan - $55,000 - Council Bluffs, IA - Not Mine - Price Reduction to $49,500: 9-14-2024.

For Sale: 1937 Buick Roadmaster 4dr Trunk-back Sedan - $55,000 - Council Bluffs, IA - Price Reduction to $49,500: 9-14-2024. See New Link Below.

1937 Buick Roadmaster for sale by owner - Council Bluffs, IA - craigslist
Seller's Description:

1937 Buick Roadmaster. I've owned over 20 yrs. Frame off restored probably 12 years ago, still presents very well. Beautiful paint. Excellent interior in correct pattern and period correct material. Motor was completely rebuilt. Brakes, fuel lines, brake lines, wiring harness all redone. All chrome done by Paul's Chrome in Pennsylvania, one of the best. Running boards were sent away, stripped and redone in original mold. Steering wheel was redone completely including horn ring and center button. The list goes on.
Copy and paste in your email: 53e82c8fb4343e59926ff5475ba77d34@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1937 Buick Roadmaster 4dr Trunk-back Sedan.
The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, edited by B. R. Kimes and H. A. Clark states 14,637 1937 Buick Roadmaster 4dr Trunk-back Sedans built.   

'37 Buick Roadmaster IA a.jpg

'37 Buick Roadmaster IA b.jpg

'37 Buick Roadmaster IA c.jpg

'37 Buick Roadmaster IA d.jpg

'37 Buick Roadmaster IA e.jpg

'37 Buick Roadmaster IA f.jpg

'37 Buick Roadmaster IA g.jpg

'37 Buick Roadmaster IA h.jpg

'37 Buick Roadmaster IA i.jpg

'37 Buick Roadmaster IA j.jpg

'37 Buick Roadmaster IA k.jpg

'37 Buick Roadmaster IA l.jpg

'37 Buick Roadmaster IA m.jpg

'37 Buick Roadmaster IA n.jpg

'37 Buick Roadmaster IA o.jpg

'37 Buick Roadmaster IA p.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Price Reduction to $49,500: 9-14-2024. Crossed out the dead CL link and old price. (see edit history)
  • Like 3

This looks like a very nice car, beautiful paint, although the price seems high for a 4-door.  I'm wondering about the dash and window garnishes -- wouldn't they have been wood-grained instead of body color?  Also, something in the ad seems very strange to me.  Seller says he has owned the car for over 20 years, but then says it had a frame-off restoration "probably 12 years ago."  If he did the restoration, wouldn't he know definitely when it was done?

• Haha 1

I bought the car in 2004. I did the restoration and have the restoration pictures.  Restoration took a long time as I also had a job so worked on it in my spare time.  I was on call 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. Took me 8 years, taking me to 2012 when finished. I was not in a rush and am very particular. The painter I had took a long time. I waited because he was an excellent painter. Chrome plating takes time and money, sent chrome in as I could afford it. This is just a hobby, I'm not a professional.  Don't appreciate the comment that "if he did it". I chose black for the window garnishes and dash, correct is wood grain. Hope this clarifies for the gentleman above. Sorry I wasn't more specific. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, roadmaster37 said:

I bought the car in 2004. I did the restoration and have the restoration pictures.  Restoration took a long time as I also had a job so worked on it in my spare time.  I was on call 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. Took me 8 years, taking me to 2012 when finished. I was not in a rush and am very particular. The painter I had took a long time. I waited because he was an excellent painter. Chrome plating takes time and money, sent chrome in as I could afford it. This is just a hobby, I'm not a professional.  Don't appreciate the comment that "if he did it". I chose black for the window garnishes and dash, correct is wood grain. Hope this clarifies for the gentleman above. Sorry I wasn't more specific. 

Thank you for clarifying the restoration process, you and your restoration resources did a wonderful job, it looks magnificent.  Since you've been thoroughly into the structure, how much and where is the wood framing in these larger series Buick bodies?

• Like 1

Beautiful car. GLWS. I restored my car myself and honestly at this point I can only give a guess at how long it has been completed.

ON the lighter side, I see the digit 1 in place of an I. My wife has personalized tags on her car with a letter O. The state does not recognize a letter O and in its place uses a number zero 0. I forget this and the registration always gets kicked back because im typing in the wrong digit. 

Now, back to the regular scheduled program.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Den41Buick said:

Beautiful car! You can’t restore that car for the asking price. 

I agree it's beautiful, but I think it's far overpriced.

One of our local members was selling a beautifully

restored 1937 Roadmaster phaeton (4-door convertible)

for a bit less than the seller wants for this sedan!

We all know that restoration costs are never recouped.

• Like 2

Don't recommend doing a frame off on these cars because of the wood structure. The doors are pretty much a wood frame. Alignment is a little more difficult. I refabricated some of the wood parts which was a test of patience. You have to make sure the wood where the hinges are is solid wood for a good bite. If you buy a car of the 30's I would suggest holding on to the open door and put a little pressure up and down to see how solid it is. I had to use a 1 instead of the I , the I was taken. I know the price is steep but it is a nice car, like one commented, you couldn't restore it for this. I only need one buyer and am not pressed to sell, takes time and patience. I've been in the hobby for over 50yrs and have enjoyed it. If you go to the Studebaker section you can see my latest, a 1935 Studebaker Funeral Coach. That car had a lot of wood!! Thanks for the person that shared my posting of this car, I had just put it in Craigs list locally. Probably won't sell but I enjoy the adventure. Enjoy every day !!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, roadmaster37 said:

Don't appreciate the comment that "if he did it".

I'm sorry if you were offended by my question.  I certainly didn't mean to imply anything negative.  Your ad doesn't specify whether the restoration was done by the owner or not.  Thank you for clarifying.  As I said, the car looks beautiful and it's clear that you did an outstanding job.  Whether or not you can recoup your costs remains to be seen, but I wish you the best of luck with the sale.

• Haha 1

Thank you Neil, If I don't sell it"s still a win, I'll enjoy the car. I've been told many times that I won't get my price when selling a car and with time and patience I've found a buyer. I think the key is not to be in a hurry. 

• Like 2

When I saw the headline of the ad I too was curious as to the car’s condition relative to the price.  The car is indeed a beauty and certainly seems to be worth big money compared to most all that show up listed here. Hope the sale goes well.

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1937 Buick Roadmaster 4dr Trunk-back Sedan - $55,000 - Council Bluffs, IA - Not Mine - Price Reduction to $49,500: 9-14-2024.
On 8/14/2024 at 6:15 PM, TAKerry said:

I will add, its easy to paint a car black, but to have it look this good painted black is another story.

Yep, I can’t think of a car that I don’t like in the color black. At that point, you find out how much attention to detail and hours of block sanding and patience and talent was put into the car before the spray gun was brought out to put the black on.  In certain lighting, Black will show every flaw.

• Like 1

This is a pretty Roadmaster.  I did know the 37's had wood particularly in the doors.  The one thing that I noticed in the pictures is the bumpers, especially the rear one, appear too straight and as a result they stick out too far.  What do you all think?  Otherwise I like the fact that the seller answered questions; seems like a stand up honest guy.  When you plunk down this kind of money you want a seller like this guy.  Personally I would not sell it.