Keys for 1938 Buick

The was a fellow named Bob James from the Toronto area in Canada that had a booth a Hershey each fall. Unfortunately, Bob passed away some years back. Bob used to bring a string of hundreds of different numbered keys to Hershey that he would use to help Buick club members identify which key opened a lock that they would bring to Hershey. One by one, he would insert each of his keys into the lock until he found the key that would open the lock.

Does anyone know who obtained that string of keys?

I can't answer your actual question but I can suggest an alternative. If you can access the lock itself, you should find a number on the lock. Someone with a Curtis key cutter, the correct Curtis reference book, and a supply of key blanks can cut a key for you. If you send me the number off of the lock, I can probably help you out, although I prefer to actually have the lock to check the key since it not quite an exact science. Occasionally I have had to recut one because I did not put quite enough pressure on the cutter and didn't cut the key deep enough the first time. I am not a locksmith, just a hobbyist who has the equipment and key blanks so I can help people out. 

• Like 3

GM used only about 40 key combinations for many years.  Carry the lock to car club meetings and shows.  Have gift card with you and offer the gift card to anyone who has a key that will unlock it, but they have to agree also to make you a copy of the key.  Years ago, someone locked the keys to my 1941 Chevrolet in it.  I pulled my key box and started going through all the GM keys that I had and the trunk key to my 1948 Cadillac was a match.  Where are you located and we may be able to offer more help.

• Like 1

I never met Bob James, but I have seen strings of numbered keys like that. The ones I have seen were a GM dealership item. I used to believe the string of keys covered every combination GM made, but according to the retired locksmith who made keys for my Pontiac, that is not really true. The long string of keys is close enough to get any GM lock of the period open, but won't be exact. Some people just copy a key from that, but for an exact match I believe you need the code, and with the string of keys you can you can get a lock unlocked in order to get the code. That was the string of keys' original purpose.

If I am not mistaken, Buicks of that period had only one key. If no lock cylinders have been changed, you should be able to get the code from any lock.

• Like 4

As an alternative, you could fund an old school locksmith that has been around for decades and see if they can cut you a key if you take them the lock assembly. 

I did this with the door handle for my Pierce Arrow.

Took him the handle and he found a blank that fit then cut a key that worked.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 10:41 PM, 61polara said:

GM used only about 40 key combinations for many years. 

1500 different key codes in the 1935 to 1966 GM B-10, B-11 keys series.

I hear these stories all the time of a few dozen different keys were all that GM produced. The fact is 1500 different key codes. But... with worn keys, the cuts are now between what were original, so a worn key can open more than the one lock it was designed for. I have a ring of used keys I use to do the open lock trick. Works 90% of the time. The other 10% need to be opened to get the code. One could, if they are a lock smith type, order a tryout set of keys for the B-10 series. It is only 64 keys! Wiggle Jiggle method. 😉 These do not get the code directly, it allows the lock to be opened or the cylinder removed from some locks, where the code can be read, like Bloo said.

I can code cut keys for these GM locks. Ignition, door, trunk, glove, tire. PM for details.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Here is a weird story.

Yesterday myself and a buddy were about a hundred miles from where he lived. And about 400 miles from where I live.

I picked him up on my way through to attend the Pierce Arrow gathering with me.

Ironically his daughter and friend lived near where we were staying.

The daughter called us and asked if he could drive her car home. (long unrelated story there)

It was no big deal so we decided to travel that hundred miles driving together.

There were a several bikers staying at the same hotel as there was a huge bike rally going on.

I got the pickup fired up and he went to the very common Toyota (which he had never even been in)

He hit the key fob to unlock it and got in but couldn't get it started.

Suddenly seemingly out of nowhere a dozen or so big guys surrounded him telling him that this was not his car.

He agreed, saying "Yea I know, but I can't seem to get it to run and I need to drive it down to Tacoma today".

"But its not your car" this kinda went over his head as it indeed was not his car. Then one guy said "how did you get it unlocked?"

He held the key fob up and said "like this" when a similar car about ten spaces up chirped that familiar chirp.

Then it all came together and was sort of a joke (thank God). He got out and went around to the back seat on the other side and retrieved his suitcase and a duffle bag and went to the correct identical Toyota.

The key fob did unlock the wrong car but wouldn't let it start. Kinda scary.

• Like 1