1965 Ford 250 PU needing advice

**Update**

This truck is located in the Portland Oregon area and I have the Title

Hello everyone,

First, thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm a single mom that originally bought this truck from a farmer that used it to haul hay on his farm several years ago. (It ran back then) I was hoping my son would jump in and start to learn HOW to work on cars (But my fault, that didn't happen the way I hoped) Now looking for advice on whether to sell it (Needing help on its value) or if maybe getting it running at least would be worthwhile??

It has been sitting for several years and it now has rust, mainly in the bed. Sadly, there has been parts from the engine that has grew legs and walked off, like the battery and the air filter thing (round thing that sits on top of the carburetor) (Sorry, I do not know much about cars) and well... the last time it actually was turned on...running, Was maybe about 7 years ago. I'm attaching some pictures in hopes to get some advice. 

I'm leaning towards selling, would you recommend a good power washing, and maybe at least clean the interior?? or do you think getting it running would be worthwhile?? or leave it as is?

Thank you, may God bless you for your talents and skills in cars/trucks and any and all opinions.

Yours humbly,

Monica

454363903_1558268288101997_7964724251246452266_n.jpg

454315672_1175889753532980_1438402862619734427_n.jpg

454513596_1033250795188148_646228452944625637_n.jpg

455189362_470209649259728_8695644088132222514_n.jpg

454469994_357623987391541_3759415119204891973_n.jpg

454356508_916343163588675_8977119166971647494_n.jpg

455209347_521377303741718_4482024226240825095_n.jpg

455326296_1994144204373349_5254728872278635611_n.jpg

Edited by MonicaLaColombiana
added location & info on title (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think that selling it would be your best alternative. A good cleanup to remove the exterior accumulations and whatever you could do to improve the interior would increase the value. Personally, I would not attempt any mechanical work as it might cost more than you could sell the truck for, especially if you have to pay a mechanic to work on it. 

The price would also be dependent on the amount of rust on the truck. You didn't state your location, but, out west a reasonably complete and solid, non-running F-250 might fetch something in the $1000. range. Again , there are a lot of factors, including if it has a title or not, that determine value.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Reynard said:

I think that selling it would be your best alternative. A good cleanup to remove the exterior accumulations and whatever you could do to improve the interior would increase the value. Personally, I would not attempt any mechanical work as it might cost more than you could sell the truck for, especially if you have to pay a mechanic to work on it. 

The price would also be dependent on the amount of rust on the truck. You didn't state your location, but, out west a reasonably complete and solid, non-running F-250 might fetch something in the $1000. range. Again , there are a lot of factors, including if it has a title or not, that determine value.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thank you so much for your response... I'm in the Portland Oregon area and Yes, I have the title. Does that help the value???

44 minutes ago, MonicaLaColombiana said:

Thank you so much for your response... I'm in the Portland Oregon area and Yes, I have the title. Does that help the value???

Having the title is the difference between having a marketable vehicle to sell or just a pile of parts. Not having the title means extra time and expense for you or the buyer. Many buyers will not purchase a vehicle that is not titled. Having the ignition and door keys is another plus.

As stated before, do what you can to clean it up inside and out, move it to a position that can accommodate removal by a tow truck or car trailer, take LOTS of descriptive pictures, write a complete description listing all you know about it, then advertise on Craigslist, Facebook, and the classified advertising tabloid you find for free at your supermarket.

Old pickups are quite popular on the west coast and there lots of car enthusiasts in your area. It should sell for $1000, plus or minus in my opinion. Let us know how it goes by continuing to update this post. Best of luck.

• Like 3

Thats a nice truck that you should not have too much of a problem selling. My first vehicle was a '65 f100, if you were closer I would give a grand for that!

It does look like it has its share of rust, but hey, what old car doesnt? Its kinda hard to tell in the pic but it looks like it may be a long bed which is less desirable than a short bed model. I dont think being a 250 hurts anything and that body style is very collectible. I think if it were mine and wanted a quick sale I would list it for $2500. Dont know about your area but I think in most places it wouldnt last too long at that price. Take anything over $1000. if youre wanting to get rid of it.

A power washer would clean it up but also may bring out some flaws! I would not spend anything other than a bucket of water to sell it. 

Looks like a Maaco paint job, they ran out of white paint before they got to the inside of the pass door! LOL.

• Like 1

I am near Portland and mess around with old vehicles.

Is the radiator one of the items that walked off?

Battery is not a huge deal, and the air filter could probably be had from a wrecking yard.

A good pressure washing would definitely help.

This looks to be a 3/4 ton pickup with a manual transmission.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 9:58 AM, JACK M said:

Battery is not a huge deal, and the air filter could probably be had from a wrecking yard.

Hey there, sorry for the delayed response.... The Radiator is still there. Yeah.. and I do have the original key to the truck.  Looks like it is a manual transmission... is that a better thing??? Not quite sure if its a 3/4 ton or not... how does one figure that out??

Thanks,

• Like 2

Its an F250, has the heavier rear and wheels. I have no idea on the rating if its 3/4 ton or not but that is mostly irrelevant to the end use of this truck. Someone that wants something like this is not looking for load capacity as much as an old truck. I think the body is the same as the F150 so if there are parts out there they should be interchangeable.

• Like 2

Yes- pressure wash and clean it up as much as possible--no expense except your time and some cleaning materials.

It looks to be a fairly complete truck--that works in your favor.  One of the most difficult parts in this hobby is trying to find some obscure piece of trim that is missing, so that works in your favor.

One semi-mechanical thing to check--is the engine frozen or will it turn over.  Without a battery, you will have to try by hand.  The easiest way is to try and turn the fan by hand--transmission is neutral.  If the fan belt is tight enough, you may be able to see the large pulley at the bottom move as you move the fan.  If the belt slips. you might be able to pull up on the belt and remove some of the looseness and see if the bottom pulley moves. There is also a big nut in the center of that bottom pulley--if you have the proper socket wrench to fit it.   You don't have to move it far, but it would be another point in your favor if you can state that the engine is not frozen--although most potential buyers would expect to do some engine work, so maybe not a big deal.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MonicaLaColombiana said:

Hey there, sorry for the delayed response.... The Radiator is still there. Yeah.. and I do have the original key to the truck.  Looks like it is a manual transmission... is that a better thing??? Not quite sure if its a 3/4 ton or not... how does one figure that out??

Thanks,

Fords of those years were designated as F 150 [ 1/2 ton ]  F 250 [ 3/4 ton ] F 350 [ 1 ton ] and on up the "ton " list. 

Body IS, I believe, same for first three ton ratings.   Engines probably same, with larger engines AVAILABLE  as ratings increase.   Suspensions and drive lines are heavier as rating increases.

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, MonicaLaColombiana said:

Thanks,

Yes, 3/4 ton as its an F350. Heavier suspension than the half ton.

It also occurred to me that it would be good to know it the engine will turn as suggested by Mike.

If you need some help with that I can probably find time to take a look at it for you.

What part of Portland do you live? I am south of Portland in Newberg.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2024 at 12:13 PM, JACK M said:

Yes, 3/4 ton as its an F350. Heavier suspension than the half ton.

It also occurred to me that it would be good to know it the engine will turn as suggested by Mike.

If you need some help with that I can probably find time to take a look at it for you.

What part of Portland do you live? I am south of Portland in Newberg.

I believe that a 3/4 ton would be an F250 and a 1 ton a F 350.

The three-quarter-ton class — also referred to as heavy-duty pickups — includes the Ford Super Duty F-250, Ram 2500, Chevrolet Silverado 2500 and GMC Sierra 2500. These are sometimes referred to as the 2500 series pickup trucks.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

I believe that a 3/4 ton would be an F250 and a 1 ton a F 350.

The three-quarter-ton class — also referred to as heavy-duty pickups — includes the Ford Super Duty F-250, Ram 2500, Chevrolet Silverado 2500 and GMC Sierra 2500. These are sometimes referred to as the 2500 series pickup trucks.

You are correct Larry.

I should have proof read my post.

• Like 1

Your truck has several negative points and a couple positive points.

Being a F-250 implies it is a 3/4 ton truck, but being 59 years old, changes may have been made to alter this up or downward.

Being 59 years old does make the truck interesting as a rat rig or mod-job project, but, being a long bed, style side bodied, probably three speed stick shift, 3/4 ton truck makes it pretty common too.

The truck does have some appeal to those who place a sentimental value on older trucks, regardless of vintage, make or model, but, again, I would consider it in the same manner as I would were it a food item found in the ethnic food section of a large grocery store.

I personally would like having the truck as a project, but I would rather spend my time, money and energy on a vehicle which had a short bed, flare side fenders, a differential which was easier to find a higher gear ratio as a replacement and was not fettered by having full floating actions.

The little 302 V-8, or even a more beefy 351 still lacks a bit of appeal, even if running, when compared to the 289 or 390 as Ford engines or the 427 Chevy engine.

I use a bare bones, 1995 F-250, as my go-to tow vehicle and it does a great job. But I will never put a cent into body work, upholstery, or suspension because it would be cheaper to buy another complete truck than it would be to replace a engine, transmission, differential, major steering or brake repair or try to make the truck look anything more than a work truck.

My advice, unless you are really energetic, love using, and already possess, a pressure washer, solvents, waxes and all rather stuff which would add to the sale price of the truck, is to advertise it as it is……..float the price, and expect to get nearly the same amount for the truck, plus the cost of materials and labor used to clean the truck as you would if the truck were cleaned and the expenses were deducted from the sale price.

I live in Tacoma, Washington, have driven Ford trucks for the past 40 years, and would buy your truck, as is, for somewhere around $500.00 to $750.00, if the tires, brakes, steering and engine are questionable. 
I would pay up to$2000.00 if I had some sentimental attachment to the year/make/model if the engine and other essential parts to the truck are in reasonably good condition.

I don’t know how much it costs to register a vehicle in Oregon, but that amount must also be considered in determining a fair sale price.

Good luck………I like your truck but there are three old Ford trucks in a local junk yard that will go for $500.00, and that amount drops in direct proportion to the nearing date they will be crushed.

Jack

• Like 1

It looks a bit rustier than what I am used to seeing with Oregon trucks. But still, probably a good starting point truck. That floor shift points toward the heavy duty 4 speed trans.  Tough old things , but  a work truck transmission.

A person would have to have a close look at the rust. I would think anywhere between $500.00 and $1500.00 depending on how serious the rust proves to be. I like these trucks a lot. I have had mine almost 30 years now.  1966 Mercury  { Canadian market } 1/2 ton. But I also had a 1967 F 250 for years as well for towing etc.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2024 at 9:58 AM, JACK M said:

Hi again,

I'm sorry... I had lost this page and then forgot what forum I had this posted on... but thank goodness, my son taught me about 'History' on my computer...and Ta-Da..

Well.... I'm located in Clackamas... Do you ever come this way?? technically about 4/5 miles east from Clackamas Mall off Sunnyside.

I haven't done anything to it yet.. I haven't power washed it or anything.  Been a little busy with other things.  Hope you had a good Holiday weekend

• Like 1

Hi Monica………It is September 6th, both a number of days and several responses later than your original post on August 12th.

How about a update on how the sale of your truck is going am how it was accomplished.

IMO, the forum is as much about how a project ends as it is telling how it’s started.

I am sure there are others interested too.

Jack

I live out in Newberg, so probably an hour or so away depending on traffic.

I am pretty well booked until later in the month.

I will send a PM sometime with my phone number and we can talk about it.

,Jack M

SELLING USED CARS & TRUCKS?

Few people these days are so "behind the times".   But there are some, as is the case with this 0P.   Unless you want to be written off as an elderly crack-pot,  DONT FORGET WHERE WE ARE NOW AS A CULTURE!

Get real!  The term "used car or truck" or "old car or truck" is no longer permissible.  ALL vehicles MUST be called an "antique" or a "classic".  Better yet...call it an "antique classic".

Actually,  how many items can you find these days on grocery store shelves that are NOT called "classic"....?

• Haha 2

On 8/13/2024 at 12:22 AM, MonicaLaColombiana said:

**Update**

This truck is located in the Portland Oregon area and I have the Title

Hello everyone,

First, thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm a single mom that originally bought this truck from a farmer that used it to haul hay on his farm several years ago. (It ran back then) I was hoping my son would jump in and start to learn HOW to work on cars (But my fault, that didn't happen the way I hoped) Now looking for advice on whether to sell it (Needing help on its value) or if maybe getting it running at least would be worthwhile??

It has been sitting for several years and it now has rust, mainly in the bed. Sadly, there has been parts from the engine that has grew legs and walked off, like the battery and the air filter thing (round thing that sits on top of the carburetor) (Sorry, I do not know much about cars) and well... the last time it actually was turned on...running, Was maybe about 7 years ago. I'm attaching some pictures in hopes to get some advice. 

I'm leaning towards selling, would you recommend a good power washing, and maybe at least clean the interior?? or do you think getting it running would be worthwhile?? or leave it as is?

Thank you, may God bless you for your talents and skills in cars/trucks and any and all opinions.

Yours humbly,

Monica

454363903_1558268288101997_7964724251246452266_n.jpg

454315672_1175889753532980_1438402862619734427_n.jpg

454513596_1033250795188148_646228452944625637_n.jpg

455189362_470209649259728_8695644088132222514_n.jpg

454469994_357623987391541_3759415119204891973_n.jpg

454356508_916343163588675_8977119166971647494_n.jpg

455209347_521377303741718_4482024226240825095_n.jpg

455326296_1994144204373349_5254728872278635611_n.jpg  Breakfast Delights

Looking for opinions on the pros/cons of either, please? Also, what is the load capacity & towing capacity of each? I can only seem to find conflicting information. Is the Camper Special much different to standard, or is it mostly rear suspension differences? Any major benefits of manual vs auto, etc? I've got a '66 Mustang now with the C4 box, so believe the C6 is much the same sort of thing. Are there any particular areas to look out for when looking at vehicles? Many thanks in advance

I sold mine about twenty years ago. Mine was an F-250 Camper Special, minus camper. It came with extra heavy suspension and wider Camper Special rear wheels (which I traded for standard truck wheels). Mine also had the four speed truck transmission which yours appears to be.

Good trucks. Terrible gas mileage. 

I drove mine for seventeen years for both personal and work use. Bought used, but in very nice condition, I wore out the original engine. I then replaced that engine with a same engine that I had rebuilt myself. That engine I put over 350,000 miles onto before I sold the truck, very worn out. In total, I put over a half million miles onto it. I can't be any more accurate than that on miles, because a few years before I sold it, the speedometer drive began to wear out and it failed completely two years before I sold it. But I put about 30,000 miles a year on it for 17 years, do the math.

Just saying, it was a very reliable and tough truck! I hauled heavy loads, towed numerous trailers, and occasionally went into back country for work with it. Except for blowing the clutch a few times, it never let me down (replacement clutches were clearly defective). The replacement engine I rebuilt? I never ever did anything more serious than points (often), sparks plugs (occasionally), and spark wires (once).

Pretty reliable truck. I just don't want to think about how much gasoline went through that thing.

I can't help you with the sale except to say what others have given is good advice. Don't spend much improving it for sale. Nearly always, one will spend a few times more money on improvements than they will get in increased price.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, michaelmackay said:

Looking for opinions on the pros/cons of either, please? Also, what is the load capacity & towing capacity of each? I can only seem to find conflicting information. Is the Camper Special much different to standard, or is it mostly rear suspension differences? Any major benefits of manual vs auto, etc? I've got a '66 Mustang now with the C4 box, so believe the C6 is much the same sort of thing. Are there any particular areas to look out for when looking at vehicles? Many thanks in advance

Not sure if you know you posted your question on a post about the F250 Ford truck.  Are you asking about the towing of that truck???  I'm truly sorry, but I myself does not have 'car or truck' knowledge.  I posted about my truck in hopes to get an idea of its worth, so I don't get taken advantage of since I don't know... I hope someone can reach out and answer your question.  

39 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

I sold mine about twenty years ago. Mine was an F-250 Camper Special, minus camper. It came with extra heavy suspension and wider Camper Special rear wheels (which I traded for standard truck wheels). Mine also had the four speed truck transmission which yours appears to be.

Good trucks. Terrible gas mileage. 

I drove mine for seventeen years for both personal and work use. Bought used, but in very nice condition, I wore out the original engine. I then replaced that engine with a same engine that I had rebuilt myself. That engine I put over 350,000 miles onto before I sold the truck, very worn out. In total, I put over a half million miles onto it. I can't be any more accurate than that on miles, because a few years before I sold it, the speedometer drive began to wear out and it failed completely two years before I sold it. But I put about 30,000 miles a year on it for 17 years, do the math.

Just saying, it was a very reliable and tough truck! I hauled heavy loads, towed numerous trailers, and occasionally went into back country for work with it. Except for blowing the clutch a few times, it never let me down (replacement clutches were clearly defective). The replacement engine I rebuilt? I never ever did anything more serious than points (often), sparks plugs (occasionally), and spark wires (once).

Pretty reliable truck. I just don't want to think about how much gasoline went through that thing.

I can't help you with the sale except to say what others have given is good advice. Don't spend much improving it for sale. Nearly always, one will spend a few times more money on improvements than they will get in increased price.

Thank you so much for sharing... I truly appreciate it

10 hours ago, JACK M said:

I live out in Newberg, so probably an hour or so away depending on traffic.

I am pretty well booked until later in the month.

I will send a PM sometime with my phone number and we can talk about it.

,Jack M

Awe, thanks... no worries... I'm in no rush... I might try and find some time to clean it... take better pictures and just put it up for sale..  does this forum have a specific place to place "for sale" trucks?? or does everyone place it on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist???  Any other special place where antique classic is classified??

12 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

Hi Monica………It is September 6th, both a number of days and several responses later than your original post on August 12th.

How about a update on how the sale of your truck is going am how it was accomplished.

IMO, the forum is as much about how a project ends as it is telling how it’s started.

I am sure there are others interested too.

Jack

Hello....  Well... currently I haven't done anything, due to other priorities. But I will keep this post updated... I have a few other things pending, but a "Clean up day" is coming up soon... I'll take pictures and post when I do... Thanks for keeping me on my toes... I occasionally need to be reminded of my 'projects'.  thank you. I do appreciate the support and the encouragement.

Question:  Where should I post for 'sale'?? Craigslist, FB marketplace? does this forum have a special place to place a for sale ad??  Thanks

• Like 1

I think your original question regarding the truck's value was answered in the first few posts.

16 minutes ago, MonicaLaColombiana said:

I posted about my truck in hopes to get an idea of its worth, so I don't get taken advantage of since I don't know... I hope ...

On 8/12/2024 at 1:36 PM, Reynard said:

On 8/12/2024 at 8:09 PM, Reynard said:

Old pickups are quite popular on the west coast and there lots of car enthusiasts in your area. It should sell for $1000, plus or minus in my opinion. Let us know how it goes by continuing to update this post. Best of luck.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MonicaLaColombiana said:

Awe, thanks... no worries... I'm in no rush... I might try and find some time to clean it... take better pictures and just put it up for sale..  does this forum have a specific place to place "for sale" trucks?? or does everyone place it on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist???  Any other special place where antique classic is classified??

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/184-ford-automobiles-and-parts-buysell/

To me it is not an "antique classic". Just an old used truck. 10s'of 1000's were made.  Many still exist. Most are working trucks and others hot rodded or collectible.

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Well, I hate to be the one who says this but I don’t think that Monica is a single mom needing advice at all.  Just someone posing as such, knowing that members would be more willing to offer guidance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2024 at 2:24 AM, Tom C said:

Well, I hate to be the one who says this but I don’t think that Monica is a single mom needing advice at all.  Just someone posing as such, knowing that members would be more willing to offer guidance.

Tom, I know this world has become very uncertain at times, filled with deceit and malice, so I understand your skepticism stating that I might be 'posing'.  But what do I truly benefit for lying about that?? I believe the members in this forum is willing to help 'anyone' with their knowledge, in which I'm truly grateful.  I pray that, you too, shall receive the same help and guidance when you need it. With much love

• Like 1