Re-commissioning a 1941 Packard 120 coupe from Dr Charles Blackman's collection

There was a thread about this car when it was listed for sale earlier this year.

Here's a link to that thread, in case you want to know a little more about the offering:

This car was acquired in 2020 by Dr Blackman; it was the last Packard he added to his collection.

The car was equipped with air conditioning and overdrive.

When I went to check it out, it started up easily with a spray of starting fluid and ran smoothly on the very small amount of fuel that remained in the tank. In fact, it ran out of fuel after being driven about 30 feet!

153e916d-5404-40ab-aea3-a1092973c980.jpg.83af29d9c4e1a91193463d56b92f731c.jpg

The brake pedal went right to the floor and stayed there, but the e-brake worked, so after an uneventful trailer ride home I was able to drive the car off the trailer and into my garage to begin the re-commissioning process.

In addition to the brake system problems, I quickly learned that the water pump required rebuilding or replacement. When running, there was a strong, steady stream of coolant pouring out of the pump's weep hole.

Appearance wise, the deep scratches and areas of flaking paint were obvious, but washing the car revealed stains in the paint that were apparently caused by exposure to many, many dark berries falling - and bursting - on the car. More on this later...

PXL_20240619_215342497.jpg.30a212eefc90cfc0756d0767b441d90d.jpg

Edited by 95Cardinal
Added images (see edit history)
  • Like 5

• 95Cardinal changed the title to Re-commissioning a 1941 Packard 120 coupe from Dr Charles Blackman's collection
2 hours ago, zdillinger said:

Looking forward to seeing your progress! If you ever need a second set of hands or some brute muscle just the say the word.

Thanks, Zach!

I'll reach out when I need a hand!

Recommissioning a car is  much more fun than a total restoration at this stage of life. I finished one this past spring, now have my radar on for another. Looking forward to seeing progress on this one and wishing you best of luck on the journey. Sounds like a wonderful car to work on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on your purchase. You have worked on cars before but not sure if any were pre WWII. Keep your spirits up and have patience. especially the latter! The 120 Packard was a great car - I had a 1941 "120" station wagon I drove for years. great road cars especially if you can locate and install a factory overdrive.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Recommissioning a car is  much more fun than a total restoration at this stage of life. I finished one this past spring, now have my radar on for another. Looking forward to seeing progress on this one and wishing you best of luck on the journey. Sounds like a wonderful car to work on.

Thanks, Jeff.

As usual, there have been a few surprises.  I'll get it on the road again, but it's needing a little more TLC than I anticipated. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Walt G said:

Congratulations on your purchase. You have worked on cars before but not sure if any were pre WWII. Keep your spirits up and have patience. especially the latter! The 120 Packard was a great car - I had a 1941 "120" station wagon I drove for years. great road cars especially if you can locate and install a factory overdrive.

Walt,

Yes, I know a little about patience and pre-war vehicles.

I've got a 1910 Buick, 1924 Cadillac and a 1933 Pontiac project.

I'm finding it easier to find parts for the Packard!

I'm really looking forward to driving this one.

It already has the factory "AeroDrive" OD.

Joe 

Edited by 95Cardinal (see edit history)
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Retourque the head when you are handling chores under the hood.  

You're the second person to recommend re-torquing the head.

I'll do it after the water pump and motor mount replacements are installed and before driving the car. 

Thanks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 95Cardinal said:

As usual, there have been a few surprises.  I'll get it on the road again, but it's needing a little more TLC than I anticipated. 

Don't they always need more TLC than anticipated?

Very nice car! I remember seeing it in the "Not Mine" section.

Posted (edited)

I've been leaning heavily on the "Packard info" website for guidance and general information. Removing the water pump wasn't as simple as I expected...

PXL_20240623_142935152.jpg.90f4adc3d4b6b10fc9518775f3ae42e0.jpgPXL_20240623_143006503.jpg.9e75acd44c2e3c4810e4960b73ca112b.jpgIt's difficult to see in the photos, but the pulleys for the water pump, generator and AC V belts are not in alignment. The water pump pulley is about 1/4" too far forward.

I was able to easily remove the upper 2 attaching bolts, but the bottom 2 bolts were VERY difficult to remove. This is when the Packard info site came to the rescue...

There were several articles and posts on this issue. When the front motor mount bushing is worn out (compressed), the front of the engine can drop in the engine mounting bracket until the water pump bolt heads are resting against the top of the mounting bracket.

I didn't get any pics of that detail, but that's exactly what I found. I ordered a net set of motor mount bushings and propped the engine up to get enough clearance to remove the pump.

I also found a 1/2" thick aluminum spacer between the fan and the pulley, as well as a 5/16" thick spacer between the pulley and the water pump hub. Both spacers were obviously not original parts.

The reason for the spacers became obvious when I got the pump off. Whoever rebuilt this water pump had installed the hub backwards. The spacers were used to make everything "sort of" line up in spite of the misassembled pump.

I ordered a new replacement pump from Kanter, but also took the one off the car to a local pump rebuilder.

When the new pump arrived, a quick test-fit showed that the pulley alignment was perfect, without the use of any spacers.

The new motor mount bushings had to be installed before the water pump. This picture shows the badly distorted and crushed condition of the old bushings compared to the new ones.

PXL_20240720_142232106.jpg.70d6624c24cea2cc0b874facfd1d8cf5.jpgPXL_20240720_142127660.jpg.6a0660f99cec2c7e43d94a553c4eec90.jpg

The front of the engine had to be raised up about 1/4" to allow the bushings to be inserted. I used a block of wood atop a bottle jack to raise the engine. 

With the new bushings installed, the water pump installation was MUCH simpler than the removal.

PXL_20240720_192237354.jpg.3a056a1c2d5beb981f1f107197039622.jpg

Next: Adventures with the AC compressor pulley.

Edited by 95Cardinal
Corrected spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 10

Classic example of where marque specific forums shine.  The collective knowledge is tough to beat  - and internet nonsense has a way of being filtered out.  Packard info is awesome!  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

With the new water pump installed, the AC compressor pulley was still not aligned with the water pump. The AC pulley was about 1/8" too far forward, causing the rear most edge of the fan blades to contact the front of the AC compressor clutch hub. Luckily, the compressor is mounted to a slotted adapter plate that is bolted to the compressor mounting bracket on the top of the cylinder head.

I slid the compressor rearward on the plate to align the pulleys and eliminate the contact point between the fan and the compressor clutch.

Success!

I verified there was clearance between all the rotating parts, filled the cooling system and hooked up the battery for an initial start with the new pump. I cranked the engine over with the ignition off, just to make sure there were no major surprises. All good!

I turned on the key and hit the starter button.  As soon as the engine started, there was a terrible loud metal-to-metal knocking noise. It sounded like a jackhammer. I shut it down immediately and started looking for the interference.

I saw nothing obvious, but I verified that every blade of the fan was clear of the compressor hub, and also verified there were no other potential points of contact with the crankshaft balancer or any other parts. When I was certain that everything looked clear,  I tried it again, with the same results. Sorry, there's no video of this; I was too worried about it to let it run long enough to record a video.

I thought perhaps the compressor was damaged, so I removed the AC drive belt and tried it again...no improvement. 

Then I removed the water pump & generator drive belt, assuming that I got a bad water pump. Started it again;still the same horrific noise.

By now, some of you might have guessed what happened.

When I raised the engine to provide room to install the new motor mount bushings, I dented the oil pan. Obviouly, a 6" long piece of 2X4 was not an appropriate saddle for that task.

I dropped the oil pan about 1 inch and ran the engine for a couple of seconds - no jackhammer noises! 

It looks like 3 crankshaft counterweights were hitting the oil pan. When I got it off the car, the witness marks were obvious:

PXL_20240722_230333398.jpg.796a911bcde1bc425227d37d042b0380.jpg

The good news is the oil pan was fairly clean. There was about 1/4" of sludge in the sump area, but there were no metal shavings or "glitter" in the oil. 

I cleaned the pan and hammered out the dented area. Once it's painted and reinstalled, I should be ready for a test drive...once the front seat is finished, of course. 

Edited by 95Cardinal
Grammar! (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

While awaiting delivery of the new the water pump and motor mount bushings, I decided to tackle the front seat cushion. The cover material was in tatters and the spring unit didn't feel very stable.

PXL_20240621_174658775.jpg.84bb3cea952910be0419641d7a437fb8.jpg

There were about 100 tacks holding the trim cover to the cushion frame.

PXL_20240628_115529482.jpg.bf2ff4990dc55973b835ef2d1ee56ba2.jpgPXL_20240628_115537696.jpg.ee2f7e0e6ac355660c982d0a8387297b.jpg

Beneath the cloth cover is a thick layer of cotton padding.

PXL_20240629_202610608.jpg.252105d7235559e9c4608e2edced1563.jpg

The spring unit has 64 coil springs, each enclosed in a burlap sleeve. Each spring is connected with its neighbors by hog rings and the whole array is covered by a zigzag spring wire that spans the entire top of the spring set. 

PXL_20240702_193236610.jpg.dc1fd4627e56c2bac7c965e317e205a0.jpg

I found some broken wires and the burlap was mostly in tatters.

PXL_20240702_193230024.jpg.1ad3965ba51e9e2cddb255c347d0c54e.jpgPXL_20240629_214546607.jpg.7c76b792edb14d92e791eb49075da0ce.jpgPXL_20240629_202653940.jpg.97b7a791599453c0872579fd45fed51a.jpg

I labeled the springs and took everything apart. 

PXL_20240715_144355497.jpg.1ef024364fc672703b5958683a83fd5f.jpg

After cleaning and painting, the next step is to make new burlap sleeves for the springs and re-assemble them.

Edited by 95Cardinal
Corrected # of seat cushion springs (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2024 at 1:40 PM, 95Cardinal said:

When I raised the engine to provide room to install the new motor mount bushings, I dented the oil pan. Obviouly, a 6" long piece of 2X4 was not an appropriate saddle for that task.

I am SO sorry, I had to laugh when I read that. But I was, I hope, laughing with you, certainly not at you.

Way back when I was in high school, my dad took an older (but not antique) pickup truck in trade for an unpaid debt. He didn't allow much for the truck because he was told it had a knock in the engine. We looked it over, nothing looked bad, and the fellow that had it had been told the engine had been "worked on".  So, we put in a fresh battery, and some gas, and fired it up. What we got was by far the worst knocking we have ever heard! Shut it down quickly, and pulled the engine.  As soon as the engine was out to where we could see it better, there it was. Right in a spot largely hidden by the cross member under the engine, was dent in the pan.

My dad decided that since the engine was already out, we would go through it and freshen it up properly. He drove that truck almost every day for over twenty years, and had it till the day he died.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On 7/26/2024 at 9:45 PM, r1lark said:

I meant to ask this earlier........was Dr Charles Blackman someone of note in the old car hobby?

This is from the Packard Proving Grounds facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/PPGHistoricSite/posts/the-entire-packard-proving-grounds-family-is-saddened-by-the-passing-of-our-dear/682493223922942/

Dr. Charles Avery Blackman

AUGUST 22, 1925  AUGUST 1, 2023
Obituary of Dr. Charles Avery Blackman
Charles Avery Blackman, 97, of East Lansing, Michigan, passed away peacefully on August 1, 2023.

At an early age, Charles Blackman’s fondness for automobiles began with the gift of a $25 Model T from his parents.

A highlight was when Charles drove his family’s 1939 Bantam from Columbus, Ohio through New York City in 1940 to visit relatives in New England, at the age of 14. Needing some repairs from the Bantam dealer on Broadway, he found himself short of money. Charles left his spare tire as collateral and drove the newly opened Merritt Parkway to Connecticut and borrowed the cash from his aunt. He was nervous the entire way about blowing a tire without a spare. That exact car, “Baby B,” was held by him for several decades until recently sold to a Bantam enthusiast.

His collection of automobiles at times reached over twenty vehicles, before settling down to 9 later in life. His first Packard, a 1940 Custom Super Eight 180 All-Weather Cabriolet by Rollson, was purchased in 1955 and still remains in the collection.

He was a well-known and respected Packard authority with a lifetime of accumulated knowledge. He was highly sought after for his accurate information, advice and an expert on Packard body production figures. Charles was active in many automobile clubs over the years. He was a very early member of the Classic Car Club of America and took his various cars over the years on CCCA Caravans and to the Grand Classic shows.

Charles served on the collections committee of the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum for more than 20 years, serving the museum with distinction. He would later gift his 1938 Packard Twelve Convertible Victoria to the museum. Other cars were donated to car museums over his lifetime.

In 1998 Charles was a founding signer of the Articles of Incorporation that established the MotorCities National Heritage Area Partnership. He continued to serve MotorCities as part of the heritage area’s Lansing Stewardship Community, including a role as a board member at the R. E. Olds Museum of Transportation in Lansing. His significant contributions to the local community and the entire heritage area were recognized in 2017 when he was presented with the prestigious Milestone Award. The award recognizes individuals who have gone above and beyond in historic preservation of the automotive industry and labor movement.

Dr. Blackman’s love of automobiles was not just limited to Packards, however. He enjoyed cars of all shapes and sizes and price classes. He belonged to the Veteran Motor Car Club of America, the Antique Automobile Club of America, and the Classic Car Club of America. Dr. Blackman was a big booster of homegrown Lansing makes like Oldsmobile and REO, but his special fondness was for Buicks and Packards.

His greatest automotive passion was unquestionably the Packard marque. Charles became a member of The Packard Club (Packard Automobile Classics, Inc.) very early on, and later became a Charter Member of the Club’s Motor City Packards Region. Over the span of more than 50 years he amassed a large volume of research data that reconstructed Packard’s body production figures. This was done through various means, including examining underneath the hoods of Packards he would spot at car shows, museums, and in private collections. His primary emphasis was on the Classic Era cars, but the entirety of his research encompassed other eras of Packard production.

Dr. Blackman was instrumental in the 1992 creation of the America’s Packard Museum in Dayton, Ohio, and the museum featured one of his personal Packards as part of its inaugural display. He went on to serve on the museum’s board and their Leadership Council for over 25 years, with 10 years as Chairman. And, true to his passion, he helped drive the effort to save the most historic portions of the Packard Proving Grounds in Utica, Michigan, from demolition and redevelopment, and was a founding member of the Packard Motor Car Foundation. He served on the foundation’s board until relatively recently.

Dr. Blackman made significant contributions to both Meadow Brook Hall in Rochester, Michigan and to the CCCA Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan, when he donated a pair of 1938 Packard Twelves that once belonged to Anna T. Dodge, widow of auto pioneer Horace Dodge. This donation helped both institutions to interpret, preserve and share the rich history of Packard as well as of the Dodge Brothers Motor Company and the Dodge family.

Perhaps a fitting capstone of Charles’ well-lived life came just a few weeks before his passing. His son Wes and a friend drove Charles’ final restoration, a 1941 Packard 160 Business Coupe, a total of 1,400 miles from Lansing, Michigan, to West Palm Beach, Florida, after attending the Concours D’Elegance at Copshaholm in South Bend, Indiana. At the show, it received their premier level LaVine Award: Spirit of the Hobby. The award honors those who have demonstrated dedication and passion to the classic car hobby through preservation, restoration, and participation in saving our automotive heritage. It would turn out to be a very apropos final tribute to a man who was a great ambassador to the entire collector car hobby.

So much has been said here about what Dr. Blackman has done for the car hobby and for the Packard world in particular, we must acknowledge his equal dedication to excellence in education -- not only as a Professor of Education for almost 40 years at MSU, but also in his passion for sharing his commitment to excellence -- to inspire his students to fully apply themselves and to become the best teachers they can be. He shared this passion for excellence in the local schools by serving on the Board of the Okemos School District for many years. And both he and his late first wife, Dr. Margaret Blackman, shared their wisdom and their pursuit of excellence with their son, Wes, of whom they were both very proud.

• Like 5

Made some progress on the seat recently.

I made new burlap spring "socks" and inserted the springs into the sleeves.

PXL_20240724_234428188.jpg.8cfdb1422a4a08d0549ee29e4545186c.jpgPXL_20240724_234431746.jpg.a638f59424825e1e7758dfd33ecfabba.jpg

Then, installed the entire array into the frame.

PXL_20240730_205233820.jpg.0d8e9d008ab9127b52d64a62bc67b693.jpgPXL_20240730_205243115.jpg.32b83dc109faa749b839fee54c3da59c.jpgPXL_20240730_205314624.jpg.db5e15a45a8db89b7c68b4afd1522eb4.jpgLots of hog rings!

Next steps: add new border wires to the spring assembly and make and install the new trim cover.

• Like 10

On 7/26/2024 at 7:31 PM, wayne sheldon said:

I am SO sorry, I had to laugh when I read that. But I was, I hope, laughing with you, certainly not at you.

Way back when I was in high school, my dad took an older (but not antique) pickup ruck in trade for an unpaid debt. He didn't allow much for the truck because he was told it had a knock in the engine. We looked it over, nothing looked bad, and the fellow that had it had been told the engine had been "worked on".  So, we put in a fresh battery, and some gas, and fired it up. What we got was by far the worst knocking we have ever heard! Shut it down quickly, and pulled the engine.  As soon as the engine was out to where we could see it better, there it was. Right in a spot largely hidden by the cross member under the engine, was dent in the pan.

My dad decided that since the engine was already out, we would go through it and freshen it up properly. He drove that truck almost every day for over twenty years, and had it till the day he died.

Great story!

I just hope I don't have to freshen the engine in this Packard...at least not for a few years!

Good news!

The engine started up with good oil pressure.

There was a temporary "lifter tick", but that disappeared quickly.

Now, when I get this front seat finished, I can try to drive it!

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Six weeks later...

It's been a very busy stretch, but I've managed to make a little progress.

In addition to all the mechanical work, I wanted to assess the very visible paint defects. It looks like the car sat beneath a mulberry tree; very dark stains on all the horizontal surfaces.

PXL_20240805_144702425.jpg.e10ff508a1af2dc9ea92e749f0a17fdd.jpgI taped off a couple of spots and tried to make some improvements. Clay bar did nothing. Next, I tried hand polishing with swirl remover.

PXL_20240805_144924886.jpg.86645c90c59de41b610c51a6fa958e16.jpgHUGE improvement! I'll get back to the cosmetic paint issues later, but I'm encouraged that a complete repaint might not be required.

• Like 5

I couldn't get the seat done quickly, so I installed the seat spring unit into the car and threw an old towel on it so I could take a test drive.

There's a cul-de-sac at the end of our street. First drive for new-to-me cars or major repairs is always down the block, around the loop and back home. Total distance is just over 1/4 mile; perfect for a first test.

The Packard made it to the loop and stalled just after the curve. It felt like it ran out of fuel, but I knew it had at least 5 gallons in the tank. Hmmm......

I walked home, grabbed a can of starting fluid and headed back to the car in my truck, with a tow strap.

Just for grins and giggles, I tried to start the car and it fired up immediately. I drove it home - about 800 feet - and it stalled again as I pulled into the driveway.

Not a great first ride.

It was obviously a fuel issue, since it would easily start with starting fluid or on gas if it had sat for a few minutes.

I removed the air cleaner and took the inlet screen out of the carb inlet. It was so full of dirt, I was surprised that fuel was getting through it.

PXL_20240807_204302061.jpg.0f2cde83a5967a1c759b2e0e989df4be.jpg

The float bowl had a lot of this sediment also. It's not rust; it's very fine orange dust, about the consistency of flour when it's dry.

PXL_20240807_201947915.jpg.ac976aba87c8e36f695d5fba54c2edcb.jpgPXL_20240807_202005939.jpg.a8cd6cedb597dfdc8674fe8ed4d4ef9b.jpgPXL_20240807_202039118.jpg.9c5989035aa661416cf77570b57cf034.jpg

The glass bowl and ceramic filter looked similar.

I took the filter and carb apart and cleaned everything up, then replaced all the soft lines in the fuel system. I used carb cleaner and compressed air to blow out the lines from the tank to the fuel pump. Then I re-installed everything and tried again.

It ran better...for about 2 miles...before it began stalling again. Time for a deeper look at the fuel system.

Edited by 95Cardinal (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Drained and removed the tank. There were about 11 gallons of gas in the tank. The last couple of gallons looked like it came out of a muddy pond.

PXL_20240819_181024785.jpg.5671ae56612ffa54e5b5403cf978ddd0.jpg

I filtered the fuel through a double layer of cotton T shirt material and ended up with this pile of silt:

PXL_20240822_205430486.jpg.8e2518ccad39fa3c846f4a29b89dfd07.jpg

While I had it apart, I cleaned the sending unit contacts and rheostat winding. I also replaced the crumbling cork float with a brass float.

PXL_20240808_195332078.jpg.d88554f68a126ba428df057766d305b4.jpg

• Like 5

Great updates, Joe. I fell behind.

In regard to connecting the a/c compressor fan belt.... I'd be very careful regarding that. You (we, as I also have one) need to find someone who knows how to set-up the compressors with not only the proper oil, but the proper amount of oil. You are probably well-aware that a working compressor is impossible to find if needed, so you do not want to damage it.

• Thanks 1

Removed the carburetor, filter and fuel pump.

What a mess! It's amazing it ran at all!

PXL_20240819_202003089.jpg.1d9439ec436ea2a56ef2fd99430320a9.jpgPXL_20240822_160242283.jpg.75b625991c8b6f62f2d7c88849a074a0.jpgPXL_20240822_160935870.jpg.f402eddb480827a32c269a3fcdeb0777.jpgPXL_20240822_161052266.jpg.d8853717499c1beefd76bad895ba1670.jpg

I ordered a rebuild kits for the carb and the fuel pump. While waiting for those parts, I flushed out the fuel tank by pressure washing it, then dropping about 15 feet of safety chain into the sending unit opening. Then a lot of shaking and spinning and rinsing until clean water came out of the tank.

I used the outlet of my shop vacuum to dry out the tank, then put about a half gallon of Ospho in the tank and sloshed it around for a couple of hours, making sure that the Ospho coated all the inner surfaces.

After that, another blow-dry with the shop vac before an acetone rinse, per the Ospho directions.

PXL_20240821_183700328.jpg.c8778ab6bd2af0648cfd3af773038e70.jpg

Since I had gone that far, I decided to make it look better in the outside, too.

PXL_20240824_194728175.jpg.22fdf5d7474bab95597fbf5ba824e2af.jpgPXL_20240825_002417891.jpg.aadaa4f3293f555ee833ec7696ace0ed.jpg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Great updates, Joe. I fell behind.

In regard to connecting the a/c compressor fan belt.... I'd be very careful regarding that. You (we, as I also have one) need to find someone who knows how to set-up the compressors with not only the proper oil, but the proper amount of oil. You are probably well-aware that a working compressor is impossible to find if needed, so you do not want to damage it.

Wes, you didn't fall behind. I'm just catching up on 6 weeks of stuff.

The compressor turns over smoothly, but your point is valid. I haven't checked refrigerant pressures yet and should probably disconnect the belt. Thanks.

Edited by 95Cardinal
Corrected spelling (see edit history)

While awaiting delivery of the fuel pump rebuild kit, I cleaned up the carburetor and the fuel pump components.PXL_20240822_205445463.jpg.f49654b78d126d385106cea55324a360.jpg

Carb was rebuilt and re-installed .PXL_20240825_190813279.jpg.5fb0bfb6480883c3710824ae01631c29.jpgPXL_20240825_190808048.jpg.55a5f95c0b550b224620839c264237a0.jpg

I added 2 of those clear plastic fuel filters; one immediately after the sending unit and one just ahead of the carburetor. I also installed a fuel pressure gauge to be certain that the pump output pressure would not be so high as to push past the inlet valve. These add-ons will go away after I verify that the fuel supply system is running clean.

PXL_20240914_185655506.jpg.39925fe6097772ce1e5ba71157292f0e.jpg

The battery box needed replacing if I didn't want the battery hanging by the cables.

PXL_20240912_151845667.jpg.34818475d3c249ca309bcc00c89a96ee.jpg

I copied the original pieces as best as I could. This should last a while!

PXL_20240912_173654308.jpg.a53744a7ec5758f5b7fc32ac21263e81.jpgPXL_20240912_180247214.jpg.2a48818c1905e5adc9998d1ee36d4c8f.jpgPXL_20240912_193905067.jpg.59aabcee96e16335c5bf27140c131d9e.jpg

• Like 10

Took the car out for a short test ride yesterday and it performed much better than before. It wasn't idling smoothly, but when I removed the air cleaner lid and element, the rpm dropped and it nearly stalled. I figured it must be too lean, so I richened the idle mixture screws to maximize idle speed and it seems much happier. I was able to back off the curb idle quite a bit and it's running much smoother. I still need to verify ignition timing.

I drove it to the local gas station and filled it, then drove it about 4 miles at speeds up to 50 mph. It's not perfect yet, but it's drivable. It still has what sounds like an occasional miss at idle, so I will be digging into that soon.

I'll post a driving video next week. 🙏

Edited by 95Cardinal
Added comment (see edit history)
  • Like 8

I'm going through a lot of the same stuff you are with my 48 DeSoto.  Do you remember an old tv show series where a guy was restoring a 37 or maybe a 38 Packard 6?  It was an excellent show because it showed how to fix mechanical things in great detail.  I wish I could find that show on YT.  I think it might have been on Public TV or maybe the History Channel.  It was quite some time ago, maybe 2000 or even the 90s.  

10 hours ago, marcapra said:

I'm going through a lot of the same stuff you are with my 48 DeSoto.  Do you remember an old tv show series where a guy was restoring a 37 or maybe a 38 Packard 6?  It was an excellent show because it showed how to fix mechanical things in great detail.  I wish I could find that show on YT.  I think it might have been on Public TV or maybe the History Channel.  It was quite some time ago, maybe 2000 or even the 90s.  

I don't remember that show, but it might nave been quite helpful for this project!

On 9/16/2024 at 12:54 AM, marcapra said:

That was Mark Lambert (RIP). It was a fantastic show on the DIY channel 20 years ago, where he was mechanically overhauling a 1938 Packard. He sent me a CD of all the episodes, and I used it considerably while working on my 1940 (a LOT of the same processes). It is not available to view online. Unfortunately, my copy is in storage.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2024 at 4:10 PM, 95Cardinal said:

Wes, you didn't fall behind. I'm just catching up on 6 weeks of stuff.

The compressor turns over smoothly, but your point is valid. I haven't checked refrigerant pressures yet and should probably disconnect the belt. Thanks.

I went back and looked at your original post when you bought the car. The compressor on your car is not the original Bishop & Babcock, so you might have a better one because it looks like it has a clutch on it. Has your car been converted to 12-volts? Or is it an early Frigidaire 6-volt? 

Yes, it was Mark Lambert.  The show was so good, it would help many restorers of cars of that era including the 40s and 50s even.  I am shocked to hear that he is gone.  He was young, so young!  Sad!   I did a search for Mark Lambert on YT and found the show.  You can still watch it, but not for free.  You have to sign up for MAX tv for $16.99 a month, cancel anytime.  I could watch all the shows in one month, so that sounds pretty good even though I have a 48 DeSoto.  

Just look up Mark Lambert 1938 Packard on Youtube.  

Edited by marcapra (see edit history)
  • Like 1