1954 Chevy Ice Cream Truck Help

I was handed down my parents original Ice Cream truck.  My parents and family sold ice cream for 20 years in Albuquerque NM.  Dad and mom ordered the truck new and It's been in dry storage for 50 years. The truck is in very good shape and I am wanting get it started and running again.  One of my big concerns is the freezer.  I need some guidance on where to start?  The truck has a Herman freezer manufactured in St. Louis.  The truck has an onboard compressor which needs a 220V.  To my knowledge, everything on the truck was operational when put into storage.  What steps should I take with the freezer?

IMG_3972.JPG

20150630_123123 (1).jpg

IMG_7708.jpg

IMG_4319.jpg

• Like 10

Look for the AC service company thats been in business for a very long time.  You might get lucky and the owner is an old guy who has seen something of that vintage before.  

• Like 3

Nice Story !

Do you want to store

ice cream or cold items

for extended periods

of time ?

The existing system may 

not be able to be updated.

Look into modernizing

the refrigeration system 

in a manner where it is

concealed from plain view.

Keep the original system 

just as is for display.

Jim

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Zimm63 said:

Look for the AC service company thats been in business for a very long time.  You might get lucky and the owner is an old guy who has seen something of that vintage before.  

Great idea!

• Like 1

Wow, what an absolute treasure!  Really cool.  You got some good advice and I suspect as well that you will have to modernize the refrigerant system if you want to use it regularly.  There are quite a few ice cream trucks out there so someone is doing it.  I will see if I can get you any names.  We restored a 1955 3600 Chevrolet.  You will be able to find engine parts so don't despair in that area.

• Like 4

I cannot help with useful information, but I must say that is one of the coolest (pardon the pun) trucks/vehicles I have seen in a long time! And the history with it is irreplaceable. If you are planning on putting it back into service you may want to get a magnetic sticker that says the prices are subject to change, LOL.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Wow, what an absolute treasure!  Really cool.  You got some good advice and I suspect as well that you will have to modernize the refrigerant system if you want to use it regularly.  There are quite a few ice cream trucks out there so someone is doing it.  I will see if I can get you any names.  We restored a 1955 3600 Chevrolet.  You will be able to find engine parts so don't despair in that area.

That is correct if you want to get a vendor's license.  Most jurisdictions have food inspectors that perform regular checks on refrigeration equipment containing frozen perishables including ice cream that can spoil above freezing.  The equipment has to be clean and up-to-date mechanically.

Craig

• Like 1

Wow, Very cool old Truck. If it were me I would be sure what the voltage is that it needs to run and then I would plug it in to see if the compressor turns and runs, or if it just hums then unplug it quickly as that means it has seized from sitting too long. It just may surprise you and spring to life. These units are sealed and there will not be a lot you can do with it on your own. It is old enough to have R-12 in it which is no longer used and condemned by the EPA quite a few years ago. If it does not run it is basically no good anyway. I would get the truck running first and then worry about the refrigeration later. It sure would be a hit at the Shows even if it no longer stays cold.

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I cannot be the only one that thought of this "movie" ice cream truck....  :P   did not care much for the movie, however the truck was the star of the show.

Pin page

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

If I'm not mistaken there is a registry just for antique ice cream vehicles. You have a unique vehicle, it's basically a freezer box on a truck chassis. As has already been pointed out, the freezer box will need to be serviced by someone with knowledge of commercial refrigeration.  I believe the 220 volts are needed for when you park the car over night and you plug it in to keep everything frozen, I don't know how it keeps cool when you are driving the vehicle. I believe they might use dry ice in the freezer compartment. If the truck runs well and stops, you can always clean it up and drive it as is. $1.35 for a dozen popsickle's, take me back!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Thank you!  I appreciate it!!

17 hours ago, BadGoat said:

I cannot be the only one that thought of this "movie" ice cream truck....  :P   did not care much for the movie, however the truck was the star of the show.

Pin page

The truck is famous. LOL.

18 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

Wow, Very cool old Truck. If it were me I would be sure what the voltage is that it needs to run and then I would plug it in to see if the compressor turns and runs, or if it just hums then unplug it quickly as that means it has seized from sitting too long. It just may surprise you and spring to life. These units are sealed and there will not be a lot you can do with it on your own. It is old enough to have R-12 in it which is no longer used and condemned by the EPA quite a few years ago. If it does not run it is basically no good anyway. I would get the truck running first and then worry about the refrigeration later. It sure would be a hit at the Shows even if it no longer stays cold.

I hope everything runs as it should.   I was surprised the tires inflated and have held to this day after 40 years of storage now 50 years.  Fingers crossed.  The plan is to go to car shows, parades etc and give the ice cream to kids for the prices on the truck. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I cannot help with useful information, but I must say that is one of the coolest (pardon the pun) trucks/vehicles I have seen in a long time! And the history with it is irreplaceable. If you are planning on putting it back into service you may want to get a magnetic sticker that says the prices are subject to change, LOL.

Thank you!!  I have all the original documents or copies of them.  My dad almost sold the truck many years ago while I live out of state and told my mom,  tell dad "Don't you dare sell that truck"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 46 woodie said:

If I'm not mistaken there is a registry just for antique ice cream vehicles. You have a unique vehicle, it's basically a freezer box on a truck chassis. As has already been pointed out, the freezer box will need to be serviced by someone with knowledge of commercial refrigeration.  I believe the 220 volts are needed for when you park the car over night and you plug it in to keep everything frozen, I don't know how it keeps cool when you are driving the vehicle. I believe they might use dry ice in the freezer compartment. If the truck runs well and stops, you can always clean it up and drive it as is. $1.35 for a dozen popsickle's, take me back!

You are correct with about the voltage and dry ice.  Thanks for the registry information.  I'll try to look.

In the past couple of years, I've seen several of these making the show circuit in the south.  There was one at the 2023 Boca Raton Concours.  This one was parked next to me last October at the Chattanooga Concours.  He said everything worked, but the show organizers wouldn't give him 220v power to run it.  Perhaps a liability issue, in the event of a potential short and someone getting electrocuted.

image.jpeg.e7278396779a41a0c9edf55786a8ec46.jpeg

Edited by George Cole (see edit history)
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, George Cole said:

In the past couple of years, I've seen several of these making the show circuit in the south.  There was one at the 2023 Boca Raton Concours.  This one was parked next to me last October at the Chattanooga Concours.  He said everything worked, but the show organizers wouldn't give him 220v power to run it.  Perhaps a liability issue, in the event of a potential short and someone getting electrocuted.

220-240 plugs are not that available like 110-120. Then you would have to have the correct outlet plug also, and a long enough cord. No easy place to plug in. This is most likely the reason power was not available.

• Like 2

A portable generator would solve that, provided you could find a small, quiet one with a 240v output. Most small, quiet portables don't do 240.

A larger one with a 240 output will provoke noise complaints, even if you give away the ice cream. 

Do all these ice cream trucks run their freezers on 240v? Home freezers commonly run on 120v.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

220-240 plugs are not that available like 110-120. Then you would have to have the correct outlet plug also, and a long enough cord. No easy place to plug in. This is most likely the reason power was not available.

There were several U-drive video games in the immediate area which, according to the ice cream truck owner, were plugged into 220.  The organizers could have accommodated him if they wanted to but they chose not to.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, George Cole said:

Most, if not all facilities have an exclusivity clause in their contract with the in-house food and beverage vendors. I ran into a similar situation at a VCCA event that I was chairing 25 years ago at a Marriot Hotel with a similar Chevrolet Good Humor truck. The hotel asked that he stop which he did, he also needed a permit and a license to vend in that town, which he did not have as well. He had a dry-ice set-up and did not require electric. The hotel's food vendor did not waste any time in setting up a cart in the parking lot near the truck to sell ice cream.

As far as the electric while I can't speak for that specific facility, it is provided all of the time, but someone has to pay for it, it has to be pre-ordered and it can be pretty costly. I would tend to say cost was the issue.  I spent part of my career providing exhibition wiring in NYC at convention facilities and hotels, it was interesting  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, John348 said:

Most, if not all facilities have an exclusivity clause in their contract with the in-house food and beverage vendors. I ran into a similar situation at a VCCA event that I was chairing 25 years ago at a Marriot Hotel with a similar Chevrolet Good Humor truck. The hotel asked that he stop which he did, he also needed a permit and a license to vend in that town, which he did not have as well. He had a dry-ice set-up and did not require electric. The hotel's food vendor did not waste any time in setting up a cart in the parking lot near the truck to sell ice cream.

As far as the electric while I can't speak for that specific facility, it is provided all of the time, but someone has to pay for it, it has to be pre-ordered and it can be pretty costly. I would tend to say cost was the issue.  I spent part of my career providing exhibition wiring in NYC at convention facilities and hotels, it was interesting  

Yeah...that's a good point about event food venders, and likewise about a food venders permit/license for Chattanooga.  I don't think the ice cream truck owner had considered any of that.  I know that his nose was severely bent that they wouldn't give him power, yet had given it to other nearby activities.  

• Like 1