Probably going to need to buy some 1965 driver's side door parts from someone

Brtele

Got backed into by a kid while my car was parked about (2) hours ago - I'm spun.  I'm sure I'm going to need a new 65 door skin and trim.  Window won't roll up either - so I'm sure I'll have to figure that out.  Bad start to the weekend, but no one hurt, so it's not the worst thing that could've happened.image.jpeg.82c52e2211024ee811399b35ff846c6d.jpegimage.jpeg.e9c33721dbd6e71e34eda02964134d04.jpeg

Posted (edited)

If the metal hasn’t been stretched, you can probably remove the door skin, check out why the window won’t work, and have someone use an English wheel to smooth out the door skin.  63 & 64 door skins will work as well.

Addendum: I did not put 2&2 together and realize that you had sent me a PM as well.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

What a shame. 

You can try one of those body work suction cups that may pull out the damage.  That might get the window functioning again. The sheet metal is probably binding it

Posted (edited)

That door skin is way beyond bothering trying to straighten it, but you may be in luck.

There is a guy who just ran an ad in the latest Buick Club of America newsletter with several

NOS parts for 65 Rivieras, including an NOS driver's side door skin. His phone number is 310-378-6826. Parts are in Los Angeles. In the ad he also has for sale a set of four NOS wheel well moldings, NOS door weatherstrips and an NOS glove box door. Oh, and he also has an NOS right door skin for sale. His name is Trent Plungas and his BCA member number is 19794.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

That door skin is way beyond bothering trying to straighten it, but you may be in luck.

There is a guy who just ran an ad in the latest Buick Club of America newsletter with several

NOS parts for 65 Rivieras, including an NOS driver's side door skin. His phone number is 310-378-6826. Parts are in Los Angeles. In the ad he also has for sale a set of four NOS wheel well moldings, NOS door weatherstrips and an NOS glove box door. Oh, and he also has an NOS right door skin for sale. His name is Trent Plungas and his BCA member number is 19794.

I am amazed that you are taking it so well.  Buy the new door skin right away!  THANKFULLY it bolts on and not welds on so the repair will be very easy (relatively speaking!)

I'd sure be tempted to remove the skin and work it myself before giving up on it.  But, go ahead and get the new one if you want, just in case...

4 hours ago, Craig Balzer said:

Now for the key question (since there were no injuries): does the kid have insurance?

Did you need to get the police involved?

About a year ago a kid damaged the door [he ran through stopped traffic and didn't see my wife's car. Just like a deer would do] on my wife's minivan. Anyway the police treated it as a collision as did the insurance company. Had a $500.00 deductible which the insurance company took off the repair total. Never went after the kid's parents as well because the total claim was less the $2000.00 Had I known it was going to be a collision claim and not comprehensive I never would have filed. Bought a used mirror and used a dent wizard and did the repair for less then $1200.00 [which got my $500.00 deductible back].

I have this driver's side door skin in my shed. After talking with the body shop and the insurance companies, get in touch with me.  Raymore to Shawnee? 50 miles?

Ed20240607_164323.jpg.5c4b0ffcedbb98b9b20d50c38adfbcf3.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/8/2024 at 1:30 PM, Craig Balzer said:

Now for the key question (since there were no injuries): does the kid have insurance?

Did you need to get the police involved?

They have insurance - did not get the police involved.  They live right across from my parents' house.  I swung by on a Friday to visit them and I never park in the driveway just in case I leak something - no good deed goes unpunished.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I ended up taking the door skin off to see if there was any internal damage.  I don't think so, but I think the door frame is a little "stretched" based on the body lines at the top of the fender/door.image.jpeg.a283af2fb8ca9f2f5d1206d09f89af1d.jpegimage.jpeg.991804564371c0c8570ba1f9d1efe138.jpeg

Edited by Brtele (see edit history)

On 6/7/2024 at 2:37 PM, Brtele said:

I'm sure I'm going to need a new 65 door skin and trim.

I gave away all my large body part6s but overlooked this Driver's Door skin sitting on the air filter rack between the furnace and cold air duct.

It's outside now in the final pile for metal recyclers to be hauled away tomorrow. No home for it, DARN!

image.png.633d11aed964e611269188af330020be.png

On 6/18/2024 at 11:59 AM, cjp69 said:

Shipping might be expensive, but this guy probably has what you need.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/d/sandy-buick-riviera-door-skins/7750069368.html

Pretty sure this is the fellow I bought a front bumper for my 65 from. He wrapped it well and shipped all the way to Port Huron, MI for cost. Good transaction.