1969 Mustang paint code

Posted (edited)

Was going to put this in the Mustang section but doesn’t seem to have much traffic.

My son is working on a 1969 Mustang convertible for a customer. 

Took a look at it and decoded the VIN (302 2bbl assembled at Dearborn) and trying to decode the data plate to see what the original color was. 

Obviously has been repainted but nothing on the plate where the paint code is. Is it located somewhere else? Not going to start pulling the carpet, etc as it isn’t my car to mess with. 

IMG_2956.png

Edited by ia-k (see edit history)

Suggest you Google “Marti Report”, you can purchase the original Ford Build Sheet, this will tell you everything you need to know.

9 minutes ago, BobE said:

Suggest you Google “Marti Report”, you can purchase the original Ford Build Sheet, this will tell you everything you need to know.

Not my car. My son is working on it for a customer. I was just curious about the original color. 

2 minutes ago, ia-k said:

Not my car. My son is working on it for a customer. I was just curious about the original color. 

Well, you did ask..

Marti Auto Works HERE

"Marti Reports

We are the privileged licensee (contract #5012) to Ford Motor Company's entire production database for the 1967-2017 model years. We can tell you everything about any Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury made in the United States or Canada during 1967-2020. What color was your car? Easy. What rear axle ratio? Sure. What day was the car sold? Yeah, even that - and a whole lot more."

Without a paint code on that label, I suspect buying the build sheet is the only way to get the original paint code. Typically no other place the paint code will be on the car. VIN will typically be several places but not paint code. If interior is apart, you can look under the carpet, inside A Pillar/kick panels and even behind or under rear seat to see what the factory paint looks like, rarely does anyone repaint those interior places when repainting a car a different color.. Typically the factory uses the same color of paint used on the exterior is used to paint the interior metal surfaces typically in a flat no gloss version.

Unless you can find someone who has full access to FoMoCo's VIN build database who is willing to tip you free info you may not have much of a choice but to pay or continue to wonder..

'2' is for 'New Lime', a light green shade.

But as stated above, the Marti Report is the best answer.  If the owner is willing to spend some serious money on it, his best interest is to have that documentation on hand.

Craig

Blue bucket seat interior. As much as I prefer not to post pictures of other people’s cars here it is. What color would this be called? 

IMG_2951.jpeg

According to HERE the dark blue for 69 Mustang was called #6-Acapulco Blue.

Slight variations of that color were also used in the 1970s and 1980s with name changes and different paint codes.

I couldn't imaging the blue interior getting paired with green exterior so the blue exterior makes sense to me..

Posted (edited)

If that is the original color of the car in the photo, it could be Acapulco Blue Metallic, paint code 6. It could very well be a special order color as well.

Best to obtain the Marti Report to verify for sure.

Correction for the 2B Trim Code- Ford MPC Calls out Light Blue Corinthian vinyl and Light Blue Kiwi vinyl for body types 63A,65A & 76A

I'm mostly a Mercury Cougar guy, but have a lot of information for both Cougar's & Mustang's

Dave

ABear must have posting at the same time!!

Edited by 9F94M567042
Trim Code & Color Update (see edit history)

AS above look for places that a re-paint would miss.

My 28 Chrysler was repainted maybe 5 times I found the original colors on the back side of the dash and on the bottom rolled edge of the body, they weren't what I expected.

• Like 1

In looking at other areas like the cowl and door hinge area the repaint must have been close to the original color. With the amount of overspray it looks like it may have been an amateur or dealership quick paint job and didn't spend much time taping and masking.

Generally, not much time was spent taping off for most in shop repaints, often if the same color the repaint was only on the outside visible surfaces. Inside doors or A pillar were not typically taped off or painted unless it is a major paint color change.

For major color changes, doors, hood, trunk lid would generally be removed to be able to repaint all visible surfaces, for non visible surfaces like behind the front kick panels generally those are left the original color as no one ever will see that paint.. Unless it is a expensive complete tear down restoration with a color change then hidden areas may get a fresh coat of new color..

One also have to take into consideration that paint fades over time and it fades unevenly.. So, it is possible if you find the same color in a hidden area it will most likely look like a different shade compared to any visible exposed paint.

Another place to look which should be easy to see the paint, is under the dash, around the brake and gas pedals, sometimes there will be gaps in the firewall blanket where brake and gas pedals mount to the firewall are that will show some paint on the inside fire wall.. The only easy way to change that paint color is to remove the dash and remove the firewall blanket, a big job that most paint shops will not do..

Most automakers are lazy and cheap and will typically paint everything the same color, so engine bay, engine bay side of firewall, the inside of the passenger compartment will all be the same color of the exterior paint.

I mean no disrespect but, if the customer is expecting an original colour quality paint job (which I would assume is the case as he has taken the car to a professional), then HE should invest in a Marti report. One of the good things about Ford products. The painter should have asked for that info, or at least informed the owner that it is available. OR, take the bull by the horns and order it themselves so they can get it correct.  Otherwise its a pop shot as to what the colour should be. IF its a case of 'I want a blue mustang' then just pick something out. There is a right way to restore a car and a wrong way!

Possible the report will include the order sheet.  I believe one of my Shelby's came back with that.  I believe the missing code indicates a custom ordered color?  It might be on that order sheet.   It would not be the Acapulco blue as that would be listed on the tag.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Possible the report will include the order sheet.  I believe one of my Shelby's came back with that. 

As per the website, the Order Sheet only comes with the 'Elite' Report, which is the top of the three available levels of information offered by Kevin Marti.  (The other two lesser ones are 'Standard' and 'Deluxe'; click "Comparison Chart" here---->  Marti Auto Works - Marti Report  )

Craig

2 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

As per the website, the Order Sheet only comes with the 'Elite' Report, which is the top of the three available levels of information offered by Kevin Marti.  (The other two lesser ones are 'Standard' and 'Deluxe'; click "Comparison Chart" here---->  Marti Auto Works - Marti Report  )

Craig

I think in this case it would be well worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ted sweet said:

not a factory tag

So who made the Ford tag pictured? Looks like the ones I have seen.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Graham Man said:

Yes factory tag, but special order paint (could be any Ford color for 1969)

Correct.

Including a 1969 Cougar I posted here:  

Don't forget, Ford had a 300+ 'Fleet Color' selection, of which this purple color was from.  I have seen one of these Fleet color chip binders.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 7:57 PM, Graham Man said:

Yes factory tag, but special order paint (could be any Ford color for 1969)

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/no-paint-code.829193/

with the 2B trim code (Blue Standard Buckets) it would have to be a color that went with blue interior.

https://classicponycars.com/69data.html

It could be any color not necessarily a factory color for the model year.

It could have been like the corporate blue for an executive but probably someone messed up in stamping the tag.

I worked on a corporate car from Chrysler that was their light blue and tan and had an XX for the paint code. They were nothing like any of the colors for that year.

I'll add that the colors ended up being the Chrysler's corporate colors.

Edited by 28 Chrysler
Info tidbit (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 9:41 AM, 28 Chrysler said:

I worked on a corporate car from Chrysler that was their light blue and tan and had an XX for the paint code. They were nothing like any of the colors for that year.

I'll add that the colors ended up being the Chrysler's corporate colors.

That is the unfortunate part.  An 'XX' in Chrysler's case, a blank spot, or a double-dash on some other makes doesn't explain anything about the color other than it was not from the regular color selection for that particular car.  And original documentation with the painting instructions are next to impossible to find.  I posted an Oldsmobile here that was reportedly painted Chrysler FC7 at the factory that used a double-dash for the paint code:  How can this car be an alleged "AACA Grand National Winner"? - Page 3 - General Discussion - Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums   while this '66 Chevrolet special ordered in Tennessee state trooper colors had a very explicit paint code on its body tag: Your first vehicle purchase? - General Discussion - Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums (aaca.org)

Craig