Has Anyone Driven Through Austria?

I've had a unique opportunity arise and it looks like I will be landing in Vienna at the end of June.  Assuming the entire world isn't on fire by then.   I will have about 1 1/2 days to make my way west 300 miles to Seefeld.  

So I'd like to take the scenic route.  Mountain twisties, river canyons, etc.  Looking to see if anyone has some ideas.  

Technical advice also appreciated for an English speaking, burger eating, gun toting Yankee.

Join AAA. I believe they provide travel help and info to members. Contacting the nearest Austrian consulate might be a good idea, too. You also might consider leaving your guns at home in the USA, unless you want an extended stay courtesy of the Austrian government.

Drop by your public library or a bookstore and check the travel section. Rick Steve's and others are experts on Europe.

Also look for videos and maybe even on YouTube.

There might even be an auto museum along the way.

Send pictures.

• Like 1

Michelin Maps and Guides are most helpful in Europe. A day and a half are not much time to drive from Vienna to Seefeld and actually see much. Innsbruck is on the way to Seefeld, and I can highly recommend it. It will take you around 8 hours to drive via motorway, let alone the back roads. I am not trying to discourage you. Rather I urge you to find more time if you can.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Angelfish , If you tour the country side as I did driving my 2005 Ford Gt around the world . Get all the maps on your Phone and wear a collar shirt every day !

If you go speaking loud American English and wearing a ripped Ozzie Oz Bourne T shirt 

you will be discarded pretty fast .

The country side is so beautiful

enjoy but think like a European not a handout American believe me……

They know.

love 

Gtjoey13-4

IMG_1112.jpeg

Edited by Gtjoey (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Phillip Cole said:

Michelin Maps and Guides are most helpful in Europe. A day and a half are not much time to drive from Vienna to Seefeld and actually see much. Innsbruck is on the way to Seefeld, and I can highly recommend it. It will take you around 8 hours to drive via motorway, let alone the back roads. I am not trying to discourage you. Rather I urge you to find more time if you can.

Unfortunately the time is what it is.   I arrive Vienna 2:30 local time and have 46 hours to make Seefeld.    My Eastern Montana mind sees 320 miles and a 100 km speed limit and thinks 4 hours driving time with no stops.   The longer way appears to be 400-500 miles with I assume something like a 60 km speed limit.   Stops would have to be factored in and I know nothing of what to expect for traffic conditions.

Do I need to rethink this?   I like the drive more than the stop, I don’t need to hit every roadside attraction along the way.

Driving through Germany and Austria is just like the US SHOULD BE (stay right except to pass, etc.), only without the litter and rudeness. And poorly maintained vehicles. And the gas station food is good. Make sure you have 1 Euro coins as you'll need some to use the public bathrooms.

• Like 2

I have traveled in Europe by car, bicycle, motorcycle and hiking a number of times. Austria is a beautiful country with much to see. I would suggest getting familiar with the road signs before you go. Most are intuitive but some are not. At least for me. I would also recommend driving the posted speed limits. You will not be pulled over by the police. Your citation will be waiting for you in your mailbox when you get home. (I know from personal experience) You can forget about your gun, it won't be needed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

From Salzburg you can take Deutsche Alpenstraße B305 and head generally west through scenic mountains.  At Reit im Winkl you can either continue north on B305 towards Chiemsee ang get back to the Autobahn, or continue west and pick up another Autobahn heading towards Innsbruck.  If you want to visit one of King Ludwig's castles, there is one on an island at Chiemsee that you reach via a ferry boat.  

Edited by Oregon Desert model 45 (see edit history)

Learn the meaning if the European Road signs,

Leave your gun at home.

Move to the right if the car behind you flashes his lights, it's the law.

Even though they have beer vending machines in rest areas, do not drink & drive..

Bitte & Danka = Please and Thanks, use it and smile.

Viel Spass =  Have Fun

Hope you have a great time. For those that experience litter and rudeness whilst driving in the US maybe you should consider a different road. I have been all over the country and everywhere I have been is wonderful and I could not think of another place I would rather be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots of good advice but I don't think he meant he would be taking his firearm along.

He just meant it as a way to describe himself.

• Like 2

First time I lived there, I arrived in  my USAF uniform with my copy of "Europe on $5.00 A Day".   Those were

the days!   Another book of those days was "The Ugly American",  which told me what NOT To DO.  

The second time I lived there, I was "The Student Prince", in Heidelberg.    Those 3 years were life highlights

for sure, but there was a lot more to come, especially with old cars.   Have fun and stay awhile.

Posted (edited)

Might want to buy the book "Kiss, Bow, or Shake Hands.  How to do business in more than 60 countries" and read the chapters for the countries you will be visiting.  Good general book.  Not perfect but will give you a good understanding on manners, customs, etc..  80%er.

I made it a required book for my International Business Classes when I taught at the local university. All of the students had to make a presentation to the class on usually two of the countries.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)