Anybody know what this is?

Anybody know what this stainless trim is? This is on an all-original '51 Olds 98 sedan passenger side door. Seems at first glance it would be a trim option to protect the paint, but if that were the case, it would seem more likely to find it on the driver's side. I don't recall seeing it listed in the 1951 options book.

stainless.jpg

stainless2.jpg

The top of the door has a stainless steel vent shade.  Great for getting a little fresh air on a rainy day.  Lower piece is a combination paint guard and arm toasting device as others have noted.

This a good example of what the younger members have never seen.  The forum is a great conduit for transferring knowledge to the new generation. 

Before air conditioning, people would put the windows down and an arm would lean outside on the top of the door sill.  Eventually, the paint would wear off of the top of the door.  I've never seen that shield before.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I seen one exactly like that a few years ago. But, it was neither stainless steel, nor on the window sill of a 1951 Olds 98 sedan.

Actually it was only about 10” long and laying on a shelf in my friends garage.

And, it was painted black and had several screws placed in holes drilled through it.

Sadly, I have no idea what it was either.