Model A 3 window coupe

Dave, I have been involved in Model A's since 1968 and owned the one I have now and several since then. The so called "Rare Three Window Coupe" Model A subject has been around forever. Ford did produce an engineering prototype three window, (page 77 in the book The Ford Model A) but the car was never produced. The prototype three window did not have a windshield visor as this for sale picture shows. As with anything rare, documentation and proof is required and until Ford substantiates this rumor the car is just a 1930 Model A that some talented body man built. If it is the so called "prototype coupe" it won't have a sequential engine/chassis number.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not the one the CA Ford parts guy own(ed)?

This one looks like a 5 window w/quarter windows closed in, I thought the body was a bit different on that car. Sacramento Obsolete Ford Parts? Probably not the name but close...

I think the idea of an experimental car is cool, but my first thought when seeing this was authenticity. If Ford was wanting a 3 window coupe would they wait until nearing the end of the model run to 'experiment'? In comparing the differences between a '32 3 and 5 window car it looks like the door itself is wider on a 3 window?  I may be wrong and it may just be my perception. But this looks like someone welded in a panel over the back side window. It does not have the same flow as a later model 3 window car imo.  Then again may just be a bad picture angle?

• Like 1

The ad has the phone number. Need an interested writer to dig out the story so we can all learn more and get answers to the questions. I've found a couple of articles online about prototypes and several state "one got away."  Lots of interesting stuff on a couple of discussion forums but so far, no documentation.   Until we can see that, I too must line up with the skeptics for now.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 3

If it's a prototype that somehow got away, why wouldn't Ford want it back for their museum? Why wouldn't M.A.R.C. and M.A.F.C.A. want it for the Model A Ford Museum at the Gilmore in Michigan? The seller can tell us all he want's, if he can not prove and document the car, it simply does not exist as advertised!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

If it's a prototype that somehow got away, why wouldn't Ford want it back for their museum? Why wouldn't M.A.R.C. and M.A.F.C.A. want it for the Model A Ford Museum at the Gilmore in Michigan? The seller can tell us all he want's, if he can not prove and document the car, it simply does not exist as advertised!

all good points; also, why didn't Ford keep the first Thunderbird, Mark II, Mustang and Cougar, and GM keep their 50 Millionth car and the first Toronado, and other such mysteries ... 🤔

come to think of it, I believe the first Toronado is in the R.E. Olds Museum in Lansing; I don't think Buick kept the first Riviera, and the first two Corvettes were supposedly used for testing purposes and then destroyed

10 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I think the idea of an experimental car is cool, but my first thought when seeing this was authenticity. If Ford was wanting a 3 window coupe would they wait until nearing the end of the model run to 'experiment'? In comparing the differences between a '32 3 and 5 window car it looks like the door itself is wider on a 3 window?  I may be wrong and it may just be my perception. But this looks like someone welded in a panel over the back side window. It does not have the same flow as a later model 3 window car imo.  Then again may just be a bad picture angle?

The 32 3 window is different from the 5 window in a lot of respects. For one it has suicide doors. It also has a chopped roof and is sportier.

12 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

I can understand it getting out of the hands of Ford, lots of concept and show cars were released one way or the other, I think some were sent to the scarp yard. I dont think they were viewed as something extra special and 'museum' worthy when they were built just another concept of what ifs. Although they may be interested in something like that now. Maybe the asking price is too high for them or it just isnt what it is purported to be. Lots of cars have created history thats gets blended in and the truth gets lost over time and multiple owners. 

• Like 2

I have stated this before and I will continue to state it " myth becomes fact"  in "history" depending upon who is convinced that know the "real " story. As has been stated her also : show us the documentation. Thanks to all with considerable knowledge for you input here, especial 46 woodie and my friend Terry Bond.

Walt

PS this just doesn't apply to the old cars we love - state and local history get the same battering with claims to fame " George Washington slept here"  " our great great great etc grand cousin's neighbor came over on the Mayflower". 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

I have stated this before and I will continue to state it " myth becomes fact"  in "history" depending upon who is convinced that know the "real " story. As has been stated her also : show us the documentation. Thanks to all with considerable knowledge for you input here, especial 46 woodie and my friend Terry Bond.

Walt

PS this just doesn't apply to the old cars we love - state and local history get the same battering with claims to fame " George Washington slept here"  " our great great great etc grand cousin's neighbor came over on the Mayflower". 🙄

And don't forget that Rolls Royce's hoods were sealed at the factory because they never needed anything.

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

Don't forget the conspiracy to hide facts about Columbus' fourth ship. "They" do stuff like that.

image.jpeg.684866368241e1505e8a952a5d1841a5.jpeg

The prototype featured on the fordgarage site is the one that is in the Ford Model A book, that car is the real deal. As you can plainly see, the car for sale looks nothing like the prototype.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2024 at 9:08 AM, Dave Mellor NJ said:

In the current Antique Automobile. this is the only known Model A 3 window coupe with the straight window. There is one slant window. talk about rare

3 W Coupe A.jpg

WWW. lldcalculator .com

When I was riding around the other day I saw a model a done like a 3 window has any body here done this? Pictures would be cool.