Greatest car interior of all time

Seafoam65

A new video just dropped on You Tube which lists the ten most beautiful car interiors of all time. No.1 on their list was the 65 Riviera, and it was also stated that the exterior of the car was arguably GM's best of all time. Amazingly, it has taken 60 years for journalists to figure this out, something I knew as a 12 year old in 1965. I remember back in the 80's when my Dad would comment that he couldn't figure out why 65 Rivieras like his weren't collectible when they were so beautiful.......and I told him that everybody would figure it out eventually and the

prices would go way up at some point, but it is amazing that it took so long.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Yes, Sir the 65 has quite the look. The hidden headlights, the Buick Roadwheels, and if course the interior options were first class.

Im partial to the 63 because,  well the leather interior is real nice I got from Clark’s. Buick must have had a good reason for not continuing the leather option. From what Ive heard some of the prices the 65’s are bringing are making 65 owners happy, real happy. Being real happy is good. Thank you for the comment.

Later Gator

You have to wonder what kind of sales the ‘65 Riviera would have had if GM would have held off the introduction of their fast back coupes until 1966.  In 1965, the Wildcat, Chevy Impala, etc with the slopping rear window were a real eye opener to the buying public.

I know that there are a lot of us partial to the 1st generation Rivieras but you will have to admit that the 65 Wildcat Sport Coupe is a good looking car.  Probably turned a few Riviera lookers heads a different direction.  

IMG_1859.jpeg.3d57caf64a53a96009b8883eed31e06c.jpeg

• Like 6

image.gif.f8f6590f6b4850e3b6827c5ba8b1b9b0.gif"but you will have to admit that the 65 Wildcat Sport Coupe is a good looking car.  Probably turned a few Riviera lookers heads a different direction"

The '65 Wildcat had round instruments before changing to the longitudal speedo and drum type for the '66 Riviera. I wonder if the new dashboard for '66 was the one GM Interior Designer George Moon had intended for the '65s?

Still my all time favourite is the 1966 Wildcat, all models except 4-Door Sedan. A Wildcat GS, awesome! Notice triple stripe WWs and no cornering lights

1966_Buick_Wildcat_GS_Coupe.jpg

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The same YT channel that did the Best Interiors video also posted a video specific to the 1st gen Rivs yesterday.  I am sure most of the info he posts is common knowledge to some of the folks in here, but still an interesting watch.  I for one, didn't know that this car was "supposed to be" branded as a LaSalle.  The story I always heard was that it was supposed to be a Caddy, but they didn't want it since they were already selling everything they could build.  The La Salle story is verified by Bill Mitchell (GM's design director) in an interview that is included at the end of the video. 

• Like 1

My Riviera experience spans quite a few years.

0033.jpg.054a40f4cc52edbb5fe9831efd9a2b7d.jpg

014.jpg.e15fd4592b7472115ce3bfa6f6c18405.jpg

002.jpg.08148ae0331f280dbc52261008e6780d.jpg

004a.jpg.585cc86f4cc26e654f0ebce6a107ea9b.jpg

I have kept the '64 for its style and appeal to me from their introduction, when I rode my bicycle to the dealership for the introduction in 1963.

As far as interiors go the '64 is the tightest fit and least comfortable for me. Not quite as much elbow room. All around I would give highest points to the '66, slightly bigger car, nailhead, and the best operating hidden headlight system.

That's 50 years worth of Rivieras starting with me at 23 years old.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

My Riviera experience spans quite a few years.

Bernie, I date back that far too.

My recollection dipping south-of-the-border from Montreal for parts from sleepy junkyards, "Upstate New Yorkers sure Love their BUICKS!"

Outside Malone, NY is where I sat inside an unlocked 1965 Riviera among other cars in a field. I was totally impressed with the interior! Never seen one in Montreal as the few that were sold there were rusted-out and gone by the mid-70s.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hazdaz said:

The same YT channel that did the Best Interiors video also posted a video specific to the 1st gen Rivs yesterday.  I am sure most of the info he posts is common knowledge to some of the folks in here, but still an interesting watch.  I for one, didn't know that this car was "supposed to be" branded as a LaSalle.  The story I always heard was that it was supposed to be a Caddy, but they didn't want it since they were already selling everything they could build.  The La Salle story is verified by Bill Mitchell (GM's design director) in an interview that is included at the end of the video. 

LaSalle was a companion of Cadillac.  Separate but both built by Cadillac. Basically a less expensive Cadillac but with some different styling. Namely the grill, which the 1963 turn signal grills are a representative. Here’s a

picture of a (Cadillac) LaSalle grill. Notice the similaritiy

IMG_1862.jpeg.0ca553981b14254600afa3ff9b23b855.jpeg

In October 1962 I was a subscriber the Car Life Magazine and got the scoop on the Riviera right through the mail. Then picked up the brochures at the local dealer. It took me 15 years get a first generation although there was newer ones in between.

I still have a stack of Car Life Magazines and the address label is still correct today, same since 1949. In October 1962 I would have just turned 14 and in the second year of High School. The 1964 Riviera and the 1948 Roadmaster convertible have always been my favorites. The interiors of the Riviera were never and big driver in my favoring them. The dash is pretty much standard full sized Buick. My car has a standard interior with crank windows, very much like a Slylark in appearance. My preference in first generation has always been the '64. The sculptured bumpers and small rectangular tail lights added a lot to the Bentley Continental knock off style. The horseshoe trims flow with the design without looking phony. To me the slab sides and uninspired bumper of the '65 lose a lot of the original flavor. And even Hondas came with hidden headlights. Four round headlights is something real different today. In May the '64 will have been with me for 46 years, I was 29 years old when I bought it. They are an inherently good car with very special styling, that's the right combination.

IMG_0118.JPG.3d31929542d55dfb83fbabceac450da6.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG.d7637dcdc5caf4990dc8ae1684baa4a8.JPG

• Like 1

I am in total agreement with Bernie.

I've had my '64 Riv. since new in '64.

60 years later I still enjoy it as I did the 1st. day I drove it home off the dealers lot.

Like myself we are both getting a little long in the tooth, but still ENJOYABLE.

Tom T.

• Like 2

Thanks for the video and for sharing your memories of your Rivieras. I bought my first one in 1976 in Sweden (the red one) which was sold new there and I had it until 1982 when I had to sell it. I got my second one in 2015 (the blue one) here in Australia which was sold new in Oregon and imported here in the early '00s. Both of them were '63's which has the styling that I prefer and I love the feeling of the Dynaflow "CVT" although it isn't made for performance.

The red one was used for our wedding photo in 1978 and the blue one for a recreation of the same wedding photo for our daughter's wedding in 2021. Some photos included, the red was red with white stripes when I bought it and became red with a mild flake whilst the blue had been repainted in something that was similare to the Teal Mist it had originally.  

image.jpeg

red riviera above.JPG

Red Riviera night side.JPG

Red Wedding 1978.JPG

Blue Wedding Catherine 2021.jpg

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_1795.JPG

IMG_1798.JPG

Edited by SwedeDownUnderR63 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 3:36 PM, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

Thanks for the video and for sharing your memories of your Rivieras. I bought my first one in 1976 in Sweden (the red one) which was sold new there and I had it until 1982 when I had to sell it. I got my second one in 2015 (the blue one) here in Australia which was sold new in Oregon and imported here in the early '00s. Both of them were '63's which has the styling that I prefer and I love the feeling of the Dynaflow "CVT" although it isn't made for performance.

The red one was used for our wedding photo in 1978 and the blue one for a recreation of the same wedding photo for our daughter's wedding in 2021. Some photos included, the red was red with white stripes when I bought it and became red with a mild flake whilst the blue had been repainted in something that was similare to the Teal Mist it had originally.  

image.jpeg

red riviera above.JPG

Red Riviera night side.JPG

Red Wedding 1978.JPG

Blue Wedding Catherine 2021.jpg

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_1795.JPG

IMG_1798.JPG

Jan,

just because the steering wheels on the left doesn’t mean you against the traffic flow😂

Trust you are surviving this summer we are having!! 🥵

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dundee said:

Jan,

just because the steering wheels on the left doesn’t mean you against the traffic flow😂

Trust you are surviving this summer we are having!! 🥵

Hi Ron,

We have had a lovely summer that now is getting cooler such that I can stop sleeping in the freezer. Let us now when you need some QLD sunshine, the winter here was perfect.