1950-59 dynaflow transmission

No. There were improvements during those years. 

Now can it fit? I do not know.

With all due respect, is this a trick question? 😄

It's an honest question. Nick has a 1950 Buick that's 40-some years older than he is.

The answer is easily found on an internet search.

33 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

It's an honest question. Nick has a 1950 Buick that's 40-some years older than he is.🙂

Ok. Sometimes it is hard to tell if one is being baited. And I mean no disrespect to Nick but that question was so innocent that I thought there coukd be a nefarious intent.  I guess that is what happens in the written vs in person conversation.

@Mr. Reed, there were 9 years with many a change between 50 to 59. If you were looking to install either unit into the car at the opposite end of the year range you included,  someone with a lot of Dynaflow experience might be able to make it work, but it is not a bolt in operation.  It might help the discussion if you could expand on why you were asking the question.

I am looking for the torque converter to flywheel bolt stud because I am missing one. There is a  59 parts car near me but before I go tearing it apart I wanted to know if they are comparable or not or if someone has a 50 parts car that may have this hardware.

2 hours ago, Mr. Reed said:

I am looking for the torque converter to flywheel bolt stud because I am missing one.

That should have been your original question.  A quick search of these forums found Jim Hughes dynaflow service  419-874-2393.

There are others that service dynaflows and there are suppliers that may have your part.  And if it is like my 55 a copy could be make.

• Thanks 2

I went back through the previous posts of the member and figured out the actual need. Looks like I won't have to do the New York Times puzzle for brain exercise today.

Are you looking for one of the outer perimeter torus cover to flywheel studs? I can send you one of those.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Maybe if you have no luck finding a replacement stud

You may remove 1 of the existing nuts and then remove stud with a stud extractor (or double up 2 buts) and remove 1 of you existing studs and make your own (cut to length new bolt) purchased from your local hardware store.

Just my 2cents

Bob

Well, I thought I could help. Mine has all bolts.

IMG_0609.JPG.e35ec76df598cc2947c318a9f2c1f5d0.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG.84ea48e7fadbe9432674c13d12f81383.JPG

It is a newer one, 1963 as I remember.

I have been meaning to part that transmission out for 30 years or so. But when I turned my cellar into a basement (there is a difference in these parts) the old tranny body became a base for resistance cords in the workout area.

If anything looks useful holler.

1 hour ago, NailheadBob said:

Maybe if you have no luck finding a replacement stud

You may remove 1 of the existing nuts and then remove stud with a stud extractor (or double up 2 buts) and remove 1 of you existing studs and make your own (cut to length new bolt) purchased from your local hardware store.

Just my 2cents

Bob

I expect those "studs" are locating pins, with a snug [ machined ?] fit.

Ben

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I expect those "studs" are locating pins, with a snug [ machined ?] fit.

Ben

Upon further review, master part book shows that is a "LONG" bolt, look at photo maybe bolt just pushed rearward?

Bob

IMG_0260.jpeg

Edited by NailheadBob (see edit history)

Yeah they are machined on the head to fit snug. The pin can be pushed back into the transmission and lost which is what happened to mine.  All those other nuts are in place just like mine. 

Hi from Norway. The 59 is definitely different. You may use 48 to 52 bolts, but still you have short and long through those years. They used the short ones if you did not have balance weights and long ones if you had balance weights on the converter pump. I have these if you can’t find them over there. Take a measure of the bolt length you have. 

Mr. Reed. If I read you correctly, you pushed the bolt in and “it fell into the transmission”. Well, that is not possible, it can only fall in between the converter pump and bell housing. You should be able to shake it out while turning the converter. Those depicted bolts without nuts, are those you use for fixing the converter to the flex wheel. If the bolt is still there when starting up, severe damage will occur. I may not understand you correctly. I have bolts, if still needed, will check their length tomorrow. The length you gave, is that total length or the shaft length of the bolt? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FATSC is a good company.

L & L Transmissions in Batavia, NY let me order my parts from them prior to removal and inspection. I bought the kit, bushings, and whatever else was on the list. Not those bolts though.

Friendly, that even asked which mechanic at L&L was doing the job. Three years already!

• Like 2

Mr. Reed. Very good, indeed. Fatsco is really good with those old automatic transmissions. I think they have piles of them, and are selling high quality new rebuilding kits. 

21 hours ago, KNUT said:

Mr. Reed. Very good, indeed. Fatsco is really good with those old automatic transmissions. I think they have piles of them, and are selling high quality new rebuilding kits. 

Thank you for your help