1930 Studebaker CampVan, not mine.

I know this car. It is near me.  It does appear to be an early conversion.  Body appears to be made by a professional company, not a home built.  Leaded in around the cowl and windshield.  If i remember right there is a body makers tag on it.  The inside of the camping area is trashed out as I remember.  Probably just some wood for patterns and hardware.  The wheels have been repainted and tires appear to old but never used.  With what it would take $$$ to get it running and usable with patina, even if the engine was good, makes his price unrealistic.  It wont fit in your car hauler, it wont fit in a standard garage.  It's cool, but driving it would be like driving a moving van.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Didn’t Pierce Arrow make house car campers?

Pierce-Arrow made travel *trailers* called Travelodge for about 6 months from August 1936 to about January 1937 in three series, A (can=19'), B (can=16.5'), and C (can=13'5') for a total of about 525 units based on highest recorded serial numbers for each series.  There may have been a few light trucks converted to house cars after they left the factory, but I know of none that were factory-built.

A superb restoration of a Model B Travelodge was shown at the 2023 PAS Meet in Glens Falls NY.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 28anut said:

I know this car. It is near me.  It does appear to be an early conversion.  Body appears to be made by a professional company, not a home built.  Leaded in around the cowl and windshield.  If i remember right there is a body makers tag on it.  The inside of the camping area is trashed out as I remember.  Probably just some wood for patterns and hardware.  The wheels have been repainted and tires appear to old but never used.  With what it would take $$$ to get it running and usable with patina, even if the engine was good, makes his price unrealistic.  It wont fit in your car hauler, it wont fit in a standard garage.  It's cool, but driving it would be like driving a moving van.

Like a 1930 moving truck...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

This camper is on its way to the scrap yard.  The campers owner stored it at his business location.  He put it up for sale at a ridiculous price, didn't sell.   He sold his business, the new owner closed the business, fired all employees and the camper sat abandoned in the parking lot.  Landlord came along and called the camper an "eyesore" and had it towed to a scrap yard immediately.  It was a commercially produced camper conversion, the metal was quite nice.  Guess it will be recycled into a nice new Kia.

• Like 1

Really sad. But I couldn't do anything about it, and neither could a million other people that may have cared.

I better not venture further down that path. Peter G would probably come after me again.

• Like 1

28anut ,

Can you provide contact info for the salvage yard. I’m having a hard time letting this happen. Sometimes logic has to take a back seat. 
Thanks ,

Dennis

• Like 1

I do not know which scrap yard the landlord had haul it away.  I will drive back by and see if I can get a number for the landlord and see if she remembers whom she called to scrap it.   This happened about 3 months ago.

On 2/10/2024 at 9:35 AM, Grimy said:

Pierce-Arrow made travel *trailers* called Travelodge for about 6 months from August 1936 to about January 1937 in three series, A (can=19'), B (can=16.5'), and C (can=13'5') for a total of about 525 units based on highest recorded serial numbers for each series.  There may have been a few light trucks converted to house cars after they left the factory, but I know of none that were factory-built.

A superb restoration of a Model B Travelodge was shown at the 2023 PAS Meet in Glens Falls NY.

Here’s an interesting ride. Wonder if any of the three built survived?

Remembering the 1910 Pierce-Arrow Touring Landau, the First-Ever Production RV - autoevolution

IMG_6510.jpeg

image.png.3efdc15cc6ab582b9a2a1c9799335f39.png

image.png.c8a7e7375fb3bf74af63cb2b60f459f3.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

28anut ,

Thanks for your effort. 
Certainly not considering any financial gain but would hate to see this lost. I own seven Studebakers and this would be the newest. 
Dennis

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 28anut said:

Guess it will be recycled into a nice new Kia.

That is sad. Really sad. Some people just don't appreciate the past and the machines that carried us to the present. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Found it!  Saved from the scrap yard.  It was given away to a new owner who wants to sell it asap. (under $10K)  It was built by Wier Company, Omaha Nebraska.  All the side windows were operable roll downs. Roller shades over all windows. Two Whippet tailights.  Body is leaded into Stude cowling.  Only 2 doors.  8cyl not sure if it's President chassis or not.  Located in Denton Texas,  No title.

camper interor.jpg

camper interor 2.jpg

camper dash.jpg

camper back.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4