1929 Packard 640 Deluxe Coupe 22K

This is so cool but a weird way to try to sell a car as I cannot find a matching website.

1929 Packard 640 Deluxe Coupe Louisburg, KS, 66053 Price: $22,000 Features: Mileage: 86,000 Engine: Straight 8 Transmission: Manual Drive Type: RWD Exterior: Beige Description: It’s an original, unrestored with wire wheels which was in dry storage since the late 1960’s. It runs but need the gas tank cleaned, repaired and reinstalled. Packard 1929 640 Deluxe Coupe - Wire wheels, 140” wheelbase. In dry storage since late 1960’s, needs complete restoration. Runs but need the gas tank cleaned, repaired and reinstalled. Have title. Odometer showing 86,000 miles. See pictures for additional details. Selling to “thin the herd”.

• Like 1

The ad could be legitimate, but, the pictures being used are from 2018 or earlier.  Evidently the car was sold circa 2018 and resided in the Midwest at the time. The sale was televised during an Americans Picker episode on January 2018.  The current video is just shots of the same pictures appearing on the Packard Forum in 2018 - at this link:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=20672

If you go to the AutoSeller website, it says the car is in:
Louisburg, KS, 66053

AutoSeller is a residence in Omaha, NE

Definitely a 'buyer beware' website.

vvvvvPackardAmPickers.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know I've seen this car not too long ago, but can't remember where.  I forgot the 6 series still had cowl lights like the 443/526, but those headlights aren't 640 headlights.  What a mess and treasure at the same time.  

• Like 1

Headlamps are universal sealed beam replacement lamps sold in the 1940s and 1950s. They would fit most cars from the early 1920s into the early 1930s that were still being used as daily driver cars. Used to see a lot of model A Fords with them!

• Thanks 1

I would surmise a coupe is more desirable than a sedan, but why is this car so much different than the 12 that is being auctioned off in VA. Most of the comments on that thread are to the tune of the car not worth more than the sum of a few parts. This one doesnt look any better to me! I would think this would cost just as much to restore as that big sedan.

I feel compelled to respond to the less than positive comments on that amazing Packard and other one of a kind great car finds. Not too many cars out there as good as a custom 8 Packard.  Not every car warrants a body off, ground up pebble beach restoration. Assuming that the doors are not falling off and the wood is stable, any car guy dad could enjoy fixing up that great car with his kids  and proudly driving it around with them and his bride.  It would be the talk of every town.  In my opinion the question is whether one considers an antique car as investment or an avocation.  Is there value to a golf club membership?  What is the ROI on that expense? How about the ROI of professional sport's attendance?  How about ROI of European vacations or cruises?  Not everything makes sense from an ROI perspective.  However one difference is, should one spend a dollar on fixing that car, one still has the car whereas the meal plan of a golf club membership is, well, down the drain.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, ak said:

Not every car warrants a body off, ground up pebble beach restoration. Assuming that the doors are not falling off and the wood is stable, any car guy dad could enjoy fixing up that great car with his kids  and proudly driving it around with them and his bride.  It would be the talk of every town.

Yes, this is a great idea and the ideal way to enjoy the car hobby but not with this car in 2024. 

In 1960 you could do exactly as you describe above but back then parts and services were readily available for this type of car.  Sadly today that time has passed.  

Rebuilding that motor is not possible at most machine shops today.  Who knows how to work with pouring Babbitt ? Machining a multi piece block? Pistons, rings, other parts are either nonexistent or require special manufacturing and cost. That engine is probably a $20,000 - $30,000 job.  At a shop that does ancient engines.  

Generator, water pump etc are not cheap.  It needs missing parts (headlights are obvious) they are not going to be cheap or readily available.  Again this is the 21st century.  

Then after you have spent $50,000 (wood, paint upholstery) to make it “shiny” where are you going to take it?

You haven’t spent the $150,000 plus to make it a near 100 point car.  While sad to say if you take it to a gathering of Full Classic cars your amateur restoration efforts are more likely to be derided than celebrated. (Sadly)

If you take it to a local show it will get attention, but few people will understand or appreciate the Herculean effort that you put into it doing the work on your own. “Don’t they make kits to restore these? They do for my Mustang and my Chevy”. 

Touring might be fun (did you do the mechanics 1000%?) but it’s a 45-50 mph car.  You don’t drive it to the tour.  It needs a truck & trailer to get it there.  Again more money.  

21st century….. if you want a car to restore in your garage with the kids, on a realistic budget? Then you are back at the 50s- 60s popular production cars.  Or if you want a 30s car you get a Model A. 

This Packard will take serious skills and money.  To not be in possession of both will quickly become a story of frustration, anger, resentment and abandonment.  Again, it’s not 1960 anymore.  

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 5

If you did ALL the labor yourself on the 34 Club Sedan, and just paid for materials and parts......you would be at 200K. And, that would NOT get you to 100 points. Just a very nice driver. 

• Like 7

The hobby is comprised of folks that enjoy looking at and driving old cars and those who enjoy others looking at their old cars not being driven.