Packard Twelve Club Sedan at Auction

pkhammer

Unfortunately a set up like that is simply impossible around here. I have enough land, but it is agricultural land reserve zoning and quite restricted to what can be built on it that isn't used directly for farm purposes. That and the cost of a building that size. My pension for the rest of my life wouldn't pay for a building like that. I am only allowed 200 square meters of non agricultural buildings . { 2150 square feet , not very big }

Anything bigger and you have to apply for a building permit for something like a horse stable. Build the horse stable and then after final approval ,modify it and start using it for car work or storage. Expensive and a very drawn out process. 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

6 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

thanks,its about 10 years old now ,good size was 38 concrete trucks to do the floor ...i remember that tough day finishing it all night lol ,the old shop behind the house is now storage as well as few other buildings ,also recently just built new building climate controlled 35k sq feet holds about 100 cars and is now full,never big enough.....land more reasonabhoughner tt he gotle here yes,about $5-10k per acre rural......and we have about 12k acres ,and lucky to have oil too on some

In my area you can sometimes find 5 acres for as cheap as 2 million. But not often, with a decent house usually more like 2.5 - 3 million. You have to go way up north in B.C. ; true middle of nowhere, to find land for 10 K / acre. A good friend manages a smallish electrical specialty manufacturing co. that works out of a shop about the size as yours on one acre of industrial zoned land. The owner thought he got a good deal on it at 8 million for the land and building. But that is industrial land just South East of Vancouver.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Look at them!  😉

Just sit and look at them. 

1 minute ago, Frank DuVal said:

Look at them!  😉

Just sit and look at them. 

Not me!  I couldn't just stare at them when they need attention.

I'd be getting one running and doing cleanup work on another one, etc.  They can't fix or clean themselves.

Craig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

im not trying to argue .....but actually my new dodge one ton limited dually beast rides better than my new caddy escalade .......the dodge has air suspension factory and can set it for softer ride .....with the solid axles and real shocks ....it rides so smooth and no strut clunk on road cracks as for the escalade.....and with a little weight in the box....the ride is amazing

Missing the point. The point isn't how it drives, but how it doesn't drive. It doesn't matter how great the ride and handling might be on a Dodge pickup, it's still not interesting or exciting or remarkable in any way. It's a common experience. The very thing that made the vintage Cadillac wondrous was removed and replaced by something that is purely ordinary.

Would you say taking a Ferrari and making it drive like a Chevy Malibu is an improvement?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Canadian law, perhaps?

Not at all.  

I think Canadian law had more lenience at the time than US laws until 1968 when Canada adopted the US NHTSA regulations.   Even after 1968, Cibie composite headlights with the H4 bulb were legal in Canada, where sealed beams were the only headlights allowed in the US until 1984.

Craig

20 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Resto-mods are also boring as hell.

Like country music, there is a formula.

I'm sittin' in a bar at closing time.

My wife left me.

My dog died.

My house burned down.

I just thought how easily I could have written Las Vegas music.

It is the lack of individualism in the modifications that gets me most often.

I do have to admit, those street rodders aren't so adamant about putting a fire extinguisher ahead of the left front wheel. Maybe I am catching some subtle message there.

I love it, just the way it is.    About 15 years ago, I was parked in the HPOF Class with our 66 VW when a Pre-WWII Buick in that condition.  The owner had made it run and drive, put radial tires on it an drove it to the National AACA Show in Hiawassee, GA.    It was the hit of the show with spectators, but was not selected for HPOF recognition.   Neither was our 66 VW.   To me it was what our hobby is all about.

I have 2 HPOF Rejects, both of which Run & Drive Safely and the VW has done about a dozen national AACA tours.    Still enjoyable to keep them going and present them as people remember them.   Face lifts look great on some ladies, while they fail on others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Would you say taking a Ferrari and making it drive like a Chevy Malibu is an improvement?

Does Ferrari still offer a manual transmission? 

The F1 transmission was revolutionary in the sense that it was able to instantly complete an upshift in .03 of a second with the aid of electronics and hydraulics; far faster than a driver can perform the same action manually operating a shift lever, regardless how short the 'throw' is and a manual clutch.   As far as I know, the F1 transmission is reliable enough to have been made standard equipment on new Ferraris.   Not that it makes it 'drive like a Malibu, but most Malibus do have an automatic transmission.

Craig

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prewarnut said:

Niet, Nien, Nada.....Their current offerings are dual clutch automated transmissions - a step beyond the initial F1 set up.

As I thought; at least for US availability as its the only way they will pass emissions legislation in North America.

Craig

Ok, so the new owner of the parts car is a nationally known collector of fine cars with a large and impressive collection. He sourced it to finish a significant open car………of a usual design. So in this one case, it made financial sense. I would have bought a tired sedan that was running/driving. More money on the tip in, but any leftovers would have had a market over the rusty remains this car will have.