Roadster with "Rolls-Like" radiator shell

Eystein Sedberg

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I'll bet you'll find its a Moon:

'20's Moon roadster a.jpg

I am going by the side/top of the radiator where it looks like it is popped out/overlapped the first few inches. the Moon does not have that. Neither does the McFarlan. The Elcar does.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I am going by the side/top of the radiator where it looks like it is popped out/overlapped the first few inches. the Moon does not have that. Neither does the McFarlan. The Elcar does.

Agree, I am going with Elcar though I am having a hard time matching a photo of an Elcar gauge cluster to the opening in the dash panel shown in the photo of the car in question. 

Roamer also used a Rolls Royce style shell as well though the overlap doesn’t extend down so far and almost forms a bit of a lip. Also this car looks like it would post date Roamer.

for comparison, here is a wonderful Elcar that was for sale awhile back:

image.jpeg.19c9f48d12ddd404a247bc28244a1f87.jpeg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

How about a few more pictures? Including one of the engine?

The guys on here are pretty good, but you’re making it a lot harder with one bad angle photo.

also, what’s your relationship to the car?

Car reportedly belonging to a hoarder.   Poster of the photo flings out the photo on FB with approximate location (county) but refuses to help contacting the owner,  Would like to know what it is in order to decide if it is worth the effort trying to find the exact location and to make the owner an offer.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

I agree, here is a Moon shell:

DSCF3494.JPG

Also notice on the car in question the peak of the shell is flat which was typical for Elcar. If it’s one of their models with the inline eight it would be a strong performer.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 2:59 AM, Manuel said:

Roamer had the RR style radiator too. 

The unknown roadster bears a lot of similarity to this 1918 Roamer. Whatever it is, it's a very interesting example that is worth taking a look at.

Roamer1918Front.jpg.dc12338f1d5a7ce504a3688b22034bb3.jpgRoamer1918Rtrimmed.jpg.1fb049a8a4b821c6478ae7bf52d63ef8.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eystein Sedberg said:

Thanks for replies so far. 🙂

From the overlap of an inch or two on the rad shell sidewall Elcar looks to be a plausible answer.

Now, to the instrument panel, does that align with any Elcar model ?image.png.9e6ddc095a8070b30cfba1f7a068a83a.png

That is where I am struggling. Elcar seems to have used a number of different shaped gauge clusters and did use an oval (ish) shaped gauge cluster but it didn’t look like that. It appeared to be pressed as one piece with the dash panel and did not have a bright surround. With that said…. Doesn’t mean it’s not an Elcar. It just deepens the mystery and makes it more interesting!

IMG_0224.jpeg.1c031811c50c8b4cdc7212f15772bfe7.jpeg

the windshield frame is similar to what Elcar used on their post Great War and including the 1925, 8-80 roadster. At some point the later cars gained a different style frame.

certainly worth tracking down and taking a closer look.

if it is an Elcar the serial number (at least from 1921-26) should be on the dash and on the right, rear frame hanger. Here are some numbers from 1921 through 1926 that might help:

IMG_0225.png.220b7b2a1d49b2726368b672ff11ff76.png

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1