Sticker Shock? Hagerty Drivers Club $70

9F94M567042

Anyone here belong to the Hagerty Drivers Club? Be ready for a shock. I just received my renewal for next year and was blown away by a $25 increase.

It was only $45 last year and is now $70. Wow, no explanation or nothing. Did I miss something or??

Only reason I have the membership is because of the magazine mostly. Some member only events but this might make me rethink renewing.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Sticker Shock? Hagerty Drivers Club $70

I never paid attention to the cost and figured it was worth it for towing insurance,  though really don't know why I have it.  I have never read the magazine and only have my friend tow my cars if I ever have the need and he is crazy reasonable I never thought of trying to get reimbursed for the cost.    I should probably think about dropping it.

Dropped it two years ago. Didn't read the magazine, and had to wait well over two hours for their "emergency" road service.  Use AAA now with much better response time, really needed in the cold winter months. I have continued with their collector car insurance.

I just received a letter from them about their using a new system to measure and rate their customers same as the "regular" insurance companies do. This may mean higher rates for customers. I'm keeping an eye out for my 2024 bill and will research policy prices offered by the competition before renewing.

Edited by Dave Wells (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

What does one get for the drivers club other than the magazine. $70 is about 30% of my policy amount. As for towing, that is included in my basic coverage I have with Grundy, but they dont offer a magazine. I already get a few car related things anyway so dont really need another. I also have premier AAA but it seems the few times I have used it I wasnt covered for some reason or another.

As far as price increase................Well I would have to say I am not surprised that the cost of a product is going up. I bought some handrail for a job today, 2- 6' pieces of vinyl covered pipe rail and 4 end brackets, well over $200.

• Like 1

never heard of the drivers club.i have their insurance. maybe the club fees are in the insurance price? i would drop that if it is. never did get any magazine. i thought towing came with the insurance. i need to read my policy.    capt den

I have it as part of my insurance with Hagerty.  It's basically $6 a month. The magazine is great reading. The money also helps with programs like Barn Finds and Redline Rebuild. Both excellent programs.  Watched one last night the concerned a Pantera engine rebuild.  These programs support our hobby.  Plus, it covers any towing of your classic if needed. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Chry54 said:

never heard of the drivers club.i have their insurance. maybe the club fees are in the insurance price? i would drop that if it is. never did get any magazine. i thought towing came with the insurance. i need to read my policy.    capt den

Yes, read the policy. There is towing, but very short distance.

When I needed a tow a few years ago (about 50 miles) they told me that I could upgrade as the included was only like ten miles.

I declined and caught a ride home to get my truck and trailer.

I still have my insurance with them but got a Good Sam policy that will tow everything I have.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Ha, so an explanation came today in my email. Maybe someone from Hagerty saw my post!

Hagerty
Dear David,

Since the inception of Hagerty Drivers Club®, we've grown to more than 780,000 members strong. We want to thank you for your loyalty and passion, and for continuing to fuel car culture as we drive together.

In order to uphold the high-quality membership experience you expect from Hagerty, and to keep pace with rising costs driven by inflation, we are adjusting all membership pricing to $70/year. Your price change will be reflected on your next renewal.

While we understand that the price adjustment may come as unwelcome news, we are happy to share that your membership will now include 100 towing miles per incident, a significant increase from your current 20 mile limit.

Beyond broadening our roadside services, we've taken extra steps to maximize your membership value:
  • You'll continue to receive the award-winning Hagerty Drivers Club magazine every two months. Download a recent issue.
  • Our discount partnerships are expanding, including fan-favorites like Michelin, BF Goodrich, Griot's Garage, and many more.
  • You can request emergency roadside help 24/7 with the push of a button using the Hagerty mobile app.
  • We’re always offering new discounts, access, and VIP perks at more events across the country.
  • You can access all the Hagerty Valuation Tools® data, with unlimited vehicle lookups and 15+ years of pricing history on more than 40,000 vehicles.
  • Ready to sell? Take advantage of unlimited free classified listings on Hagerty Marketplace.
  • Ask Hagerty, your personal support team of automotive experts, is ready to answer your questions, offer advice, and provide guidance.

We look forward to continuing to drive together. If you have any questions about your new Drivers Club membership, please call 866-228-0852.
  • Like 2

I think the magazine is well done and I think there a number of excellent articles in each issue. There are also columns by Jay Leno, Wayne Carini, and a number of Car & Driver alumni (including the editor). The driver’s club offers more than the magazine, support that is detailed in a prior post. It is worth the price in my opinion.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird 

Edited by 1957Birdman (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I cancelled Hagerty Driver's Club several years ago. When my '29 McLaughlin-Buick conked out about twenty-five miles from home (this is in SW Ontario), I called Hagerty Roadside Assistance. I had a sinking feeling when the fellow on the other end of the line had a distinct Texas drawl. Friendly enough, but didn't have a clue where Ontario was. I ended up fixing the car on the side of the road and limped home. 

The magazine covers little in my narrow field of interest. The Valuation Tools have never had info on any of my collector cars.

CAA does a fine job of assisting my family if a need arises, and they usually know where to find me.

I have yet to see the December issue of the magazine, which I was promised when apparently a story i sent on my '78 Caballero was published. Anyone see that and have an unwanted issue ?

I've had Hagerty insure my cars for years with no complaints so far, but Driver's Club isn't worth the premium to me.

On 12/31/2023 at 1:16 AM, ted sweet said:

was told that i had a covered 40 mile tow but wait was 6 to 8 hours

One of the problems I have had with AAA. If you ever need a tow again and have to call the service, tell them you are in an unsafe place and scared to death!!   I did that one time and the tow truck was there within a half hour. I was broken down in a small quiet town in a school parking lot, LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1