Treasure of WWII Oldsmobile ads. Unbelievable

Steve Moskowitz

Outstanding art work - all hand done, no computer generated images . Original artwork done in a water based "tempra" paint ( the stuff kids pant with in elementary school) and an air brush as well. A "lost art" for images once the computer took over. I studied and was friends with several fellows who were commercial artists pre WWII era when in college and they were masters of their craft/art. Hands on first person learning and they were happy to share their knowledge that even 40 years ago was fast disappearing. They found a very willing and enthusiastic person in me who really desired to know how to do what they did.  One asked me "Why your interest? "  My reply was " think about the cars I love and own" He just smiled and laughed.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Great ad campaign. Nothing is as creative as nose art.

Peterson, I am going to respond to this before Ed Minnie sees it!  Yes Ed, I realize my nose would be big enough for nose art!  For those of you who are not aware of the term it is the art put on aircraft noses during the war.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

The forth magazine cover "Tank Eating Tiger" was from the armored divisions. My father in law was in the 4th Armored Division, 704 Tank Destroyer Battalion and that logo is on his uniform patch. Ironically, 79 years ago on this date 12-18-1944, he was a sergeant fighting in the Battle of the Bulge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for sharing Steve.  I have about a dozen  examples  from various GM divisions in my collection but this is fantastic.  If you produced an AACA calendar of these I think it would sell well.  I will check my CC storage unit in the next few days to see if I can locate some examples.  Unlike Terry my storage organization is random at best.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Peterson, I am going to respond to this before Ed Minnie sees it!  Yes Ed, I realize my nose would be big enough for nose art!  For those of you who are not aware of the term it is the art put on aircraft noses during the war.

Nose Art was fantastic, and back in 1988 , Louisiana Region hosted a Thanksgiving Week Tour down the Texas Gulf Coast, and Up The Rio Grand Valley,

stopping at Harlingen, where the Ghost Squadron of the (then) Confederate, now Commemorative Air Force was located. There was an entire hanger of this type of art, cut from the noses of WWII Aircraft.

By the way, if Nose art depicted females,

It was called GIRL ART, not Nose Art-

Beautiful in any case !

• Like 2

Seeing the nose art in person is an experience once never forgets. Decades ago I was a member of the Long Island Early Fliers Club and we had a visit to Republic Airport in Farmingdale area to see a WWII airplane with nose art. Amazing to see , just the vastness of the plane and the artwork on there. It was in an era when although some members were my age now ( this was 40+ years ago) they were indeed "early fliers" including Elinor Smith ( Sullivan) - look her name up. She was a good fiend, and the first and only  person to fly underneath all the 4 bridges on the East River ! this in 1928 when she was 17. ( no that was not legal and Mayor Jimmy Walker stepped up to get her free of any federal charges) .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

Seeing the nose art in person is an experience once never forgets. Decades ago I was a member of the Long Island Early Fliers Club and we had a visit to Republic Airport in Farmingdale area to see a WWII airplane with nose art. Amazing to see , just the vastness of the plane and the artwork on there. It was in an era when although some members were my age now ( this was 40+ years ago) they were indeed "early fliers" including Elinor Smith ( Sullivan) - look her name up. She was a good fiend, and the first and only  person to fly underneath all the 4 bridges on the East River ! this in 1928 when she was 17. ( no that was not legal and Mayor Jimmy Walker stepped up to get her free of any federal charges) .

A few years ago the WWll B-25 belonging to the Historic Flight Foundation visited our local airport. For a small charge, the public was allowed to climb through the plane, entering through the bomb hatch and literally pulling yourself through a very tight passages to the nose gunner's position and to the cockpit. Quite an experience. Absolutely no extra space and no wasted space. 

The plane was nicknamed "Grumpy" and had the Disney dwarf painted on it's nose. Both the plane and I were delivered the same year, 1943, but I beat the plane by 4 months (and Mick Jagger by six!).

Note: It's RAF livery stems from the fact it was transferred to the Royal Air Force in Canada in 1945 and not returned to the US until 1966.

image.png.c388dcc9764bce3ac719358f579c0ccc.png 

image.png.096155db0e9f5a80d7ae6af6648afae8.png  

image.png.eb3d0d9e53d33c7c78405b1895568719.png

• Like 5

I did notice something about the magazine ad that states "Tiger Eating Tank". The M-18 Hellcat, 76MM Tank Destroyer was actually built by the Buick Motor Division from July 1943 until October of 1944 with 2507 units built at a cost of $55,230 each. There is a booklet, "Buick At its Battle Stations" showing how the M-18 (technically called a "Gun Carriage") was built. It featured a nine cylinder engine and a four speed, trouble free automatic transmission. The M-18 was very successful at knocking out German tanks because of its fast speed. Ford get's a lot of credit for its WWII production but General Motors deserves more credit than it gets!

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 7th Son said:

A little more nose art that I just found...

The combat pilots probably hadn't yet celebrated their 20th birthday.

image.png.717b6b655efedeae3e597fd9ad96da07.png

image.png.bb5fde68e84ca93a16adc330761b3f1a.png

My uncle was a pilot during the war, he was promoted in rank for his 21st birthday. 

• Like 1