70 Riviera

Jeffsang

Hello all,

Going to look at a super nice 70 this weekend, not familiar with a 70 Riv, anything particular to focus on?  Has drums all around, paint code 46 Emerald green with black vinyl top, really sharp. Has am only radio, is it possible to install a correct am/fm radio if there is one to be had?  Any thought on the x frame or the first yr 455?  Thanks in advance

Jeff

In 1970, the new 455 was introduced and the hp was upped to 370, matching that of the GSX.  All 70s Rivieras came with fender skirts, to styles - long and short.  Nowadays it seems that the short ones are preferable.  There was a GS model as well. Exact same chassis and underpinnings as other 2nd generation Rivieras. 

Here’s what was written about the 1970 Riviera in the Riview’s series on the evolution of the Riviera:

https://rivowners.org/features/evolution/evpt70.html

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I'd lean towards the CL one. If the car has been maintained and road ready 20k is not too much. If its going to need tires, brake system work, fluids changed, belts, carb rebuild, fuel hoses, etc then deduct a couple grand. Look to see if it has an original spare. If I could see a good pic of engine that might help determine miles. It could be original based on driver seat appearance....at least from what I can see.

I used to like heavily optioned Rivs but after countless hours spent getting and keeping those options working I'd have no problem buying a low optioned car 

• Like 1

I like the CL car.  I consider it to be "nicely optioned" with the road wheels and AM/FM radio.  Power windows and locks would be nice, but I suspect those doors closes nicely with few other sounds than the latch doing its thing.

Ages ago, there were some comments in an "Old Cars Weekly" newspaper which said that while high-option cars might be nice, that the base model with few options can be the easiest cars to keep a long time.  They still have all of the virtues of the more-optioned cars, but without the durability issues of those options.  Less chrome to chase should the need be, too.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

1970, the last year for high compression, 1-year only rear skirts and choice of two and exposed headlights. I've always liked this model but perplexed why disc brakes were an option? Yes, side molding was a W3 option? Didn't know that. Every '70 Riviera I've encoutered had that awesome molding.

In fact, that's all that is left on this piece of junk I posted here over a year ago. Also green. 455/TH400 long gone. It has been sitting in a sketchy area of Kelowna BC for many years off the highway where a commercial building burned down and is now being rebuilt. Lots of activity/traffic around it. Amazing it hasn't been hauled away.🆖

image.png.057e6f5f9b3212daf48cfa9af4861502.pngimage.png.d4ef123162147913efc63bd52c629efd.pngimage.png.5790833b933e7e84ee4bfa067bc915f6.pngimage.png.33f4f9c908b7947e768bf9f78c06aec2.png

On 11/15/2023 at 10:34 AM, Jeffsang said:

Hello all,

Going to look at a super nice 70 this weekend, not familiar with a 70 Riv, anything particular to focus on?  Has am only radio, is it possible to install a correct am/fm radio if there is one to be had?  Thanks in advance

Jeff

Jeff, 

you can always have the original AM radio converted to AM/FM MP3 and Bluetooth. I had both 1963 Buick Riviera and Skylark AM push button radios converted using the Aurora Designs system with excellent results.

There are other versions out there as well. MP3 and Bluetooth allow you to stream music from a phone or iPad and take hands free phone calls. Upgrading the original speakers is also worth considering as the upgrades provide more usable power output.

Worthwhile modifications that retain the original radio and the ‘look’, which I consider important.

Just my two bobs worth 

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀