Chevy Apache Milk Truck

MDuffey

Hello,

I own a 1958 or '59 Chevy Apache Milk Truck. It was restored about 10 years ago with the original straight six cylinder, etc. It's a long story, but I acquired it, but don't know much about it. Can anyone out there tell me more about what I should know? Are these a sought after make/model? Some pictures are included.  

-MDuffey

PXL_20230621_162223920.jpg

PXL_20230621_162237434.jpg

PXL_20230621_162243821.jpg

PXL_20230621_162402497.MP.jpg

PXL_20230621_162302680.jpg

• Like 2

Nice truck.

The Black Star Story

Per the above link, the Great Northern Brewery was built in 1994 to produce Black Star.  In 2010, the company celebrated the 15th anniversary of the first brewing.   That's pretty close to the time the OP said the truck was restored.  I'd guess it was to promote the anniversary.

• Like 1

Commercial vehicles aren't everyone's cup of tea but they're fascinating and cool in their own way.

Unless it was removed or destroyed during the restoration the box body should have a manufacturer's plate on it somewhere. That would tell who built it and mounted it on the Chevrolet cab and chassis. I don't think Chevrolet was building bodies like this in-house; there were dozens of specialty truck body builders. Mickey, Hackney and Great Dane come to mind.

• Like 3

Interesting truck. I agree there should be a manufacturers plate somewhere that will tell you much. Usually on the dash or door frame area on the part built by the body maker,  Do you have any interior shots that may have clues? Inside shots would be great. Grummon was another company that built lots of step in vans 

• Like 2

I was the General Manager and Partner of Great Northern Brewing (brewers of Black Star Beer) for 12+ years. I acquired the truck in an ownership transition, but that wasn't until years later. The truck had been properly stored up until that point. I'll check for the after-market box van body builder. I'll also post some interior shots.  

• Like 2

The AACA Library owns a 1955 Chevrolet Bookmobile that was an original Anderson County South Carolina Bookmobile.

It was donated by AACA members and restored for continued Bookmobile use by the Library. You can find its story on the web and YouTube.

It's a cab and chassis with separate bookmobile box, which is different from your cowl and chassis box van.

The point is 55-59 Chevrolet Task-Force trucks have a following, whether pickups, box vans, or big 6-series heavy duty haulers. They were GM's true break from older truck designs. Some will argue that the 49-55 Advance Design did that, but those were still tall trucks built on ladder frames with antiquated suspension and few creature comforts.

I think you have a hella neat truck and with its original drivetrain and chassis it certainly fits in with AACA. 

Any plans for the truck? I guess since you're no longer part of Black Star Brewing, putting it back in that livery might cause issues, but it would make a great advertising piece for any restaurant, catering, or delivery-type business.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

I'm guessing it's dually?

Not a dually, looking at the rear interior shots.  It most likely has heavy overrider springs like the AACA Bookmobile.  If it's like the Bookmobile, it was usually heavily loaded and resulted in major wear on the overrider springs.

On 10/31/2023 at 1:32 PM, MDuffey said:

I would entertain a sale of the Apache, especially if it's going to the right enthusiast. What do you think it's worth?

I wish I could tell you what it is worth but your truck is going to appeal to a select group of people.  They are not easy restorations as we found out with our bookmobile.  Your beer truck is very, very cool and I hope someone snatches it up and does right by it.  

Bookmobile 1.jpg

Bookmobile Winter.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1