1968 JAGUAR E-TYPE, SERIES 1.5 (Elmhurst IL)

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/d/elmhurst-1968-jaguar-type-series-15/7673765610.html

Three owners from new, 50,000 original miles. Very straight and solid car. Original Interior. All numbers matching. Car runs. Auxiliary hard top and soft top. Great original “patina” driver to enjoy as is, or concours restoration candidate.Many new parts included.

Inquire for price. James - (630) 430-3855

00101_7OUyaUekcKp_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00S0S_5dkIigrER85_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00R0R_hygg9FVqafF_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

01111_aw8VSKncyUd_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

• Like 3

This is a beautiful car, but I have a good friend that is a gluten for punishment with English cars. He's owned a Austin Healy 3000, Triumph TR-4 and an XK 140 and all of them caused misery. Whatever you pay for this car will be a down payment IMO.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, kingrudy said:

This is a beautiful car, but I have a good friend that is a gluten for punishment with English cars. He's owned a Austin Healy 3000, Triumph TR-4 and an XK 140 and all of them caused misery. Whatever you pay for this car will be a down payment IMO.  

you have to know these  cars.

When properly maintained they are good cars

• Like 4

It is not worth as much as you might think.  It is a 1.5 which means non-covered headlights and other changes that detract from the original's perfection.  Not running,  maybe a 35k car?   If I'm wrong someone correct me.   I can tell you that sorting the brakes, engine, exhaust, etc will be 20-30k like nothing.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

One of the if not the most beautiful cars ever made.  I would have expected to see this at an auction somewhere instead of Craigslist. Unless the seller doesn’t want to pay auction fees.

It look like a nice car to start a restoration.

To me it look like a max $20k car.

I restore these jaguars professionally for customers and it is expensive.

Keep in mind you can purchase a good driver car now for like $75000, I just got a series 1 FHD for les.

Rebuild an engine, transmission , rear axle etc... will be more expensive.

If there is body work than keep in mind that there are no original parts available anymore and all panels have to be adapted to fit the car.  

I take over a year to have a car done perfect. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alsancle said:

It is not worth as much as you might think.  It is a 1.5 which means non-covered headlights and other changes that detract from the original's perfection.  Not running,  maybe a 35k car?   If I'm wrong someone correct me.   I can tell you that sorting the brakes, engine, exhaust, etc will be 20-30k like nothing.

rebuild an engine is over $10k .

If you like to have up grade parts it cost more.

Covered headlights give problems with dirty glass on the inside, that is the reason why Jaguar changed these headlights.

Instrument panel is different too between a series 1 and 1.5.

Door openers are different too etc...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

One of the if not the most beautiful cars ever made.  I would have expected to see this at an auction somewhere instead of Craigslist. Unless the seller doesn’t want to pay auction fees.

The market is slow and there are a lot cars for sale.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 11:25 AM, demco32 said:

you have to know these  cars.

When properly maintained they are good cars

Well said. The problem with Jaguar in US is that people expect them to run forever with little or no maintenance. You have to have a British engineering and maintenance mindset with these and other Britcars. In other words, overbuild it, add complications for the sheer hell of it, and tinker with it all the time.

Yer bloody well right!🧐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Well said. The problem with Jaguar in US is that people expect them to run forever with little or no maintenance. You have to have a British engineering and maintenance mindset with these and other Britcars. In other words, overbuild it, add complications for the sheer hell of it, and tinker with it all the time.

Yer bloody well right!🧐

Exactly.  There is maintenance and then there is maintenance.  What most North Americans call maintenance would be scoffed at in Europe.

8 hours ago, californiamilleghia said:

another couple of problems are they were built for a Hot day temp of 85F and a long drive of  maybe 100 miles and probably not on the motorway , 

Still a cool car :)

Keep in mind that the first motorway in the UK was built in the late 1950s.

So there was no need to build really fast cars like we know today.

2 hours ago, dictator27 said:

Exactly.  There is maintenance and then there is maintenance.  What most North Americans call maintenance would be scoffed at in Europe.

Sorry but I don't agree.

Yes i had never a car in the shop coming from the USA that was well maintained 

But I believe i has to do with the different idea about cars. 

46 minutes ago, demco32 said:

Sorry but I don't agree.

Yes i had never a car in the shop coming from the USA that was well maintained 

But I believe i has to do with the different idea about cars. 

Isn't that what I said? 😀😃

8 hours ago, demco32 said:

Keep in mind that the first motorway in the UK was built in the late 1950s.

So there was no need to build really fast cars like we know today.

I do remember reading that sustained high speeds pushed some cars beyond their limits. You would think a proper sports car from a firm with racing experience wouldn't have these problems, but I have read that Aston Martin needed to "adjust clearances" when the unusual aluminum "cheeses" in the W.O. Bentley designed engine expanded more than he thought the would. 

German cars didn't have those problems. My father bought a new VW in 1957 and I remember him being very impressed that it would "run all day with your foot on the floorboard". Of course the down side was you needed to keep it there. 

10 hours ago, deac said:

ever done brakes on a Jag of this vintage?

Not personally, but I worked with a fellow who has always had several British sportscars around. He bought a 1969 E-type 2+2 that was the proverbial basket case- he bought it in boxes.

I went by one day and he was working on the inboard rear disc brakes- with the IRS and third member out of the car.

Kinda convinced me working on a Jaguar was way out of my wheelhouse.

I did get the opportunity and privilege of driving that 2+2 after it was back together and sorted. But still realized I wasn't cut out to service one!

7 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Not personally, but I worked with a fellow who has always had several British sportscars around. He bought a 1969 E-type 2+2 that was the proverbial basket case- he bought it in boxes.

I went by one day and he was working on the inboard rear disc brakes- with the IRS and third member out of the car.

I did get the opportunity and privilege of driving that 2+2 after it was back together and sorted. But still realized I wasn't cut out to service one!

I have the rear axle out in les then 2h.

47 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

I do remember reading that sustained high speeds pushed some cars beyond their limits. You would think a proper sports car from a firm with racing experience wouldn't have these problems, but I have read that Aston Martin needed to "adjust clearances" when the unusual aluminum "cheeses" in the W.O. Bentley designed engine expanded more than he thought the would. 

German cars didn't have those problems. My father bought a new VW in 1957 and I remember him being very impressed that it would "run all day with your foot on the floorboard". Of course the down side was you needed to keep it there. 

sorry but Mercedes had the same problem.

A 4 speed transmission and a very slow diesel engine. 

15 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

problem with the US Jaguar is that they have a 3 speed automatic transmission 

4 hours ago, daniel boeve said:

Koen , keep them rolling river deep mountain high .This weekend one sold in Belgium at the auction from Bonhams for  190K plus 18%( type E flat floor )

yes, sir.

Bonhams in knokke zoute zeker?

An e-type I had in the shop was also bought at Bonhams and paid a premium.

Result, a complete overhaul of the engine was necessary.

Edited by demco32 (see edit history)

I like it.  I have owned a series II for about 5 years with a buddy.  As mentioned, the earlier series I cars bring stronger money.  

We say it all the time here,  but this really is a car that you need to go see in person and bring a knowledgeable jaguar friend along with you if you don’t know these cars. The scary stuff isn’t shown in the pictures that are provided.   Without an in depth look at the structural framing and other systems, it is difficult to put a price on it. 

hopefully it is structurally sound, and the buyer knows exactly what the challenges will be. 

If you aren’t handy with some experienced mechanical skills, and your plan is to send it out and write checks for all the known (and unknown) problems it will have through the years, don’t buy this car. As mentioned above, nice drivers of “non series I “ roadsters are out there for less than 6 figures and that would likely be a less painful way to go. 

but let’s not kid ourselves, smokin hot women make men do foolish things. 

E types are the home wreckers of the automobile world. 

86636442-6893-4AEF-B8CE-202E9D2EFCEB.jpeg.33ed21216bed716050052c23237a8591.jpeg

• Like 1

A friend of mine has been going to the same auto repair shop for decades for work on his north American made vehicles.  He currently owns a 1992 Jaguar XJ6 because his wife likes it.  That shop refuses to work on it, they won't even change the oil.