1961 Oldsmobile 98 2 door hardtop project $8,500

Marketplace - 1961 Oldsmobile 98 Project | Facebook

Seller's Description

Project car with a lot of work to done but would be nice cruising car when done the body is good shape all glass is good do have the 394 v8 engine that’s not installed needs interior work I have the buckets but need to be redone loosing storage so has to go no trades Thanks for looking price 8500

I did not know a person could get a full console set up in 1961, for Oldsmobile, Pontiac etc.  Never seen it, and may not be original, but it appears to be Oldsmobile.  I saw a 1963 98 2 door hardtop Oldsmobile in a Missouri salvage yard that had this set up, with console mounted vacuum gauge or tach.  But never 1961.  

Product photo of 1961 Oldsmobile 98 Project

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

I did not know a person could get a full console set up in 1961, for Oldsmobile, Pontiac etc.  Never seen it, and may not be original, but it appears to be Oldsmobile.  I saw a 1963 98 2 door hardtop Oldsmobile in a Missouri salvage yard that had this set up, with console mounted vacuum gauge or tach.  But never 1961.  

Product photo of 1961 Oldsmobile 98 Project

The 61 Starfire had buckets and console standard. Not sure about 61 but later years had a 98 Sport Coupe option with buckets and console.

I really like these cars.  It appears the metal and paint work are done.  Seller states he has the 394 V8 but it's not installed.  That begs the question is the motor rebuilt?  If not does it turn?  No mention of the transmission.  That box in the passenger footwell is the carpeting from ACC and there is a picture of the front seat too.  This could be a good deal...

On 10/13/2023 at 10:52 AM, Oldsfan said:

Someone posted about this in one of the Facebook Olds groups. He made a deal. Went with a trailer to pick it up. Car was on the trailer. Owner says there's no title...

Per the seller not true.  He still has the car.  Did the guy back out? 

I’m having trouble figuring this out. 

Are the people who are afraid of buying a car with no title the same people who cover up their license plates in pictures because they believe that it’s too easy for someone to create a (fraudulent) title?   🤔

The seller communicated to me through FB that there IS a title....

Coming.  OK, as one who has purchased more than one vehicle with the "promise" of a title coming, I can tell you NOT to take car without a title if that is supposed to be part of the deal. 

I bought a Mercedes Benz sight unseen, had it shipped here, title was not provided after several attempts.  I had to get a bonded Iowa title which took 4 months.  The seller had his money, his motivation to follow through quickly went away. 

You pay this guy with the Oldsmobile $8500 and you'll never see the title.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, m-mman said:

I’m having trouble figuring this out. 

Are the people who are afraid of buying a car with no title the same people who cover up their license plates in pictures because they believe that it’s too easy for someone to create a (fraudulent) title?   🤔

Depending on the state or province a car without a title can create a world of problems. Least being you spend time and money on it and someone shows up with a claim on the car.

If someone wants to sell me a car with no title, it's on them to acquire a clear title in their name before any money changes hands.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t walk- RUN away from this mess of a car.

No title, the (incorrect) engine sitting on a stand, mystery bucket seats in a different color (they sure aren’t ‘61-2 Starfire), a ‘59-60 wheel and column, interior blown to hell, missing hood letters and rocker moldings, and the guy wants $8500???  Maybe if it ran and drove.  Maybe… especially if you enjoy the prospect of unwinding someone else’s poor decisions.

What remains of the console is correct for a ‘61-2 Starfire, but it and bucket seats were never offered in the Ninety Eight for 1961.

From the few photos provided, this car looks like a monumental can of worms.  I can only imagine how it looks in person.  It IS somewhat scarce, with about 4500 produced, but there are others to be had out there.  $15-20K would likely land a decent one that could be driven home.

Edited by Starfire61 (see edit history)
  • Like 1