New Addition - 1939 Chrysler Windsor 4-door w/ suicide doors

MercMontMars

@marcapra Hmm, really gets me wondering what I’ve got now. All signs point to this paint being original lead paint and I see no signs of it being repainted, could definitely be very sun bleached Dove Gray. Will have to see if I can get an answer from the data plate. I’m betting this paint is what really saved this car, did a great job protecting it over the decades.

I don't think auto paint had lead in it back then, but I don't know for sure.  Correction.  I just looked it up and there was lead in older auto paint, especially in the red, orange, and yellow colors.  So be sure to wear a mask and change out your clothes if they have paint dust on them from sanding.  

Edited by marcapra (see edit history)

I could be TOTALLY wrong so I apologize beforehand if I am.......and I am not nitpicking - just contributing to the thread.

I believe your car was originally a medium to dark gray color, and was painted the color it is now, because looking at the firewall it appears that it was painted white about half way down and below the cutoff line of the white there is a gray color - which could be the original color.

Maybe if you removed the data plate in the picture the original color might be under it. Also, all of the cracking in the paint in the picture looks like a repaint and is showing a gray paint underneath in some spots.

If the pictures posted aren't playing tricks on my eyes the one showing the coil shows the coil top section being white-ish,too

IMG_3344.jpeg.0afea73bee133f0f1dbf5f677cfe5c1d.jpeg

IMG_3413.jpeg.3347300016ac75b279e207e0162bd3b4.jpeg

IMG_3412.jpeg.b401b90ef4f2bedf3018cb5d029bdbb9.jpeg

Edited by Joe Cocuzza
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Me again.....

Looking at the data plate on your car under the C22SW #'S there is:

510-710

Looking at the Ditzler Paint Chips posted I see paint code 509-510 as Nordic Gray

As far as the 710 goes that could be the trim/upholstery code but I am not sure

39chryschips.jpg

• Like 1

I may be totally out ot line too and I'm not trying to nitpick either but I was involved in a very similar situation some years ago with a 1937 Chrysler Royal 6 that someone drove into into my shop asking for help.........So with that experience under my belt I don't feel out of line asking a few questions. This question was asked before and if it was answered I missed it.....You do have a title for the car in your name, correct? How many miles are on the car? Does the engine turn or is it seized? If it were me, I would try to get that engine running to determine its condition before I went any further. Dropping the oil pan is good advice. One thing at a time. I'd get it running first before I even thought about tires, paint, seat covers, drip rail repairs or replacement taillights. Just some thoughts. 

• Like 4

@The 55er  Understandable, I haven’t really tried much with the motor yet. I hooked up a 6v battery to the car and didn’t get anything so I have some new cables, going to fit those when I have time. Clean all my connections. Oiled the cylinders, the belt was fried and I don’t have access to the crank pulley to try it with a wrench yet. Motor still has oil in it, so I’m optimistic that it isn’t seized. I don’t have a title just yet no, I just bought it and have a bill of sale and the seller is a close mechanic buddy of mine and he’s currently looking for the title. He says it might be in his dad’s safe, which he currently cannot open.. I trust him though, he’s not gonna pull one on me. He was able to find the taillights for the car.

Overall I’m just remaining optimistic about this car, having fun with it and I’m not concerned about the mechanical status, as I am capable of overhauling it but I can tell it’ll be a runner with a little love, hood was on it and the filter housing was still on the carb. I have the car in a place it can sit as long as it needs, I’m in no rush to get it going anywhere. Any goals and repairs I mention is just me thinking out loud really. Not sure how many miles on the car, I can try reading the odometer but from what I saw I think it was in 4 digits..

Also worth noting, the car was last road- registered in New Hamshire in 1986 apparently, so she had to be a moving car then. After that who knows.. the minimal undercarriage rust screams southern car, so she was either brought back and forth or was a garage queen only brought out for summer. Who knows.. all I know is I’m not gonna be spooked or discouraged, I have no deadline or storage concerns for this car and I’m doing a little bit at a time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MercMontMars said:

@The 55er  Understandable, I haven’t really tried much with the motor yet. I hooked up a 6v battery to the car and didn’t get anything so I have some new cables, going to fit those when I have time. Clean all my connections. Oiled the cylinders, the belt was fried and I don’t have access to the crank pulley to try it with a wrench yet. Motor still has oil in it, so I’m optimistic that it isn’t seized. I don’t have a title just yet no, I just bought it and have a bill of sale and the seller is a close mechanic buddy of mine and he’s currently looking for the title. He says it might be in his dad’s safe, which he currently cannot open.. I trust him though, he’s not gonna pull one on me. He was able to find the taillights for the car.

Overall I’m just remaining optimistic about this car, having fun with it and I’m not concerned about the mechanical status, as I am capable of overhauling it but I can tell it’ll be a runner with a little love, hood was on it and the filter housing was still on the carb. I have the car in a place it can sit as long as it needs, I’m in no rush to get it going anywhere. Any goals and repairs I mention is just me thinking out loud really. Not sure how many miles on the car, I can try reading the odometer but from what I saw I think it was in 4 digits..

Also worth noting, the car was last road- registered in New Hamshire in 1986 apparently, so she had to be a moving car then. After that who knows.. the minimal undercarriage rust screams southern car, so she was either brought back and forth or was a garage queen only brought out for summer. Who knows.. all I know is I’m not gonna be spooked or discouraged, I have no deadline or storage concerns for this car and I’m doing a little bit at a time.

A little at a time is good. Looking at the overall picture can be overwhelming.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MercMontMars said:

The seller was able to come up with the taillight lenses for the car, so glad he found them. He even had the housing so I can get these working eventually. I love how artfully done everything is on this car, everything oozes elegance.

IMG_3462.jpeg.2f31fa696e1e62fc76045e4116bce615.jpeg

EXCELLENT!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MercMontMars said:

@Joe Cocuzza Interesting, I’ll have to look into it a bit more, if it is a repaint this is a verrrrry old repaint. I’ll try to take the plate off and see what might be underneath. By the looks of it, the interior used to be off white with navy blue carpet, seats and door accents. 

Very interesting car and project, a lot of good advice given by the members on this thread, and you have a good attitude and idea about working on this car; someone said to do something for an hour a day so that you see progress, and that reminds me of something I once heard: "this is like eating an elephant, you do it one bite at a time." Good luck with your project, myself and all the others on this thread are hoping the best for you.

• Haha 1

On 9/15/2023 at 9:07 PM, MercMontMars said:

Turns out the motor is free! Spins nicely with a brand new tight belt. Looking good. Next up is changing my battery wires so I can try and spin the starter. Everything has been a pleasant surprise so far with this car.

I think I answered the wrong guy a bit further down this thread, I meant to quote you, it's late, I'm tired, and so on, but anyway I hope you get to read it; good luck with this project.

• Like 1

I purchased a 48 Chrysler with 39000 mi. I tried to start it and it fired on 2 cly. and would not fire again until I waited a few minutes.

(The valves stuck open) So I took off the head and squirted penetrating oil all over the valves and rings. I wire brushed under the valve seats and sprayed more while cranking the engine. It took a few days of squirting and cranking in order to get all the valves working.

New head gasket and it fired right up.

HOWEVER, the NEW OIL TURNED black AND UGLY RIGHT AWAY SO I DROPED THE PAN. The crud (about 1" deep) circled the oil pump pick up and probably restricted the oil flow. It almost cost me the engine! 

SO, do as I did and don't destroy your engine.

Ps, new spark plug wires and points are necessary. An electric fuel pump will get the gas up to the carburetor before you start cranking it and it will start quicker. (but don't worry if it cranks for a loooong while, it will start and the new battery will keep up to it even though it seems like it will die at any time!)

• Like 1

@R Walling Oh boy, that’s the exact scenario I’m worried about and I’m probably in the same boat. I’m in no rush to get it running, I want to make sure I tend to everything before trying it. Electrical problems have stopped me from even trying. My rings hold up oil and I can turn the motor by hand with reasonable resistance, but when I checked the dipstick before doing anything I could see some black crud on it. Gonna drop the pan and maybe take the head off once I have new gaskets for everything. One step at a time, but slow and steady wins the race..