Upholstery button on front seat is missing

ericisback

Upholstery button on front seat

Uggggggggg!  Any thoughts on how to get this repaired or replaced?!?!  the car is a 65 Riv GS.  The top of the button is gone (of course).  The seats are original Black Beaumonde fabric inserts with vinyll bolsters interior (code 618).  Thanks so much for any help!!!!

image.jpeg.5a0eb0ddfcbd199f65dc3a0acf9f6c65.jpeg

Hi Eric

i had same button missing on same seat and managed to get replacement on without major surgery. May well work in your case as well.

I used what they call in UK a ‘tufting’ needle.

It’s a way furniture reupholsters use to sew buttons on without having to completely open up a piece of furniture.

there are videos on YouTube of people demonstrating it.

it took a couple of efforts but so far button hasn’t fallen off , and though not quite as tight as the others you wouldn’t notice. And of course much better than having no button.

also be careful that needle doesn’t go all way through and out the back!😀

cheers

kev

ericisback,  do this  or similiar,  make your on button to the size required by using  something like

in my photo,--one of those small  plastic  modern car  push buttons  that holds the engine covers on

under the engine---these are corolla.

then use  a small tin of bondi fiberglass to shape the button to the exact size you want with a small oval

shape on top.---when finished cut the ceratted  base off the button so button its nice and flat.

Then you go buy  permanent pen , the colour you need like your seats , here in Australia you can buy any colour you want,

example i  purchased  dark blue  same colour as my seats and vinly in my convertible,

When finished button, just apply to  your seat with  a small amount of contact cement,---buy small tin, dont use spray,

just use very small detail brush, leave it apart for 30 minutes,---it will work.---well. In the mean time  until you decide to 

complete the job  correctly  at a later date.

IMG_1913.JPGb.JPG

IMG_1912.JPGb.JPG

Clark's only has the type of button that you have to tie. My upholsterer was afraid he couldn't reach up into the seat back and tie the buttons off so that they would be straight and tight. Apparently, the originals are 2 piece and you push them through a hole in the fabric and snap a retainer on the back. At least that was what was on my seats that I believe to be original. 

1 hour ago, Seafoam65 said:

If the button just recently fell off, it's got to be in the car somewhere.....find it and

glue the old one back on. The metal backing is still tied to the seat....it should  be easy to

glue it back on.

The front of the button was missing when I got it back from my detail place. I’m sure it’s gone in the same vacuum by now.

1 hour ago, Seafoam65 said:

If the button just recently fell off, it's got to be in the car somewhere.....find it and

glue the old one back on. The metal backing is still tied to the seat....it should  be easy to

glue it back on.

How lucky would I be, if I could find the front of that button?

5 hours ago, Rockable said:

Clark's only has the type of button that you have to tie. My upholsterer was afraid he couldn't reach up into the seat back and tie the buttons off so that they would be straight and tight. Apparently, the originals are 2 piece and you push them through a hole in the fabric and snap a retainer on the back. At least that was what was on my seats that I believe to be original. 

If the buttons are not tied off how do you get the tufting in the seams?

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

If you know the name of the fabric pattern search the internet for suppliers of vintage upholstery. Ask for a sample if the suppliers says he has it. Cap the material down over the dome of the button and gently epoxy the covered button in the button cup holder.

Let the button cure. Then carefully epoxy the loose button in place. Now I cannot tell you how to be careful. I made a mask with a hole large enough for the button and epoxy to be fitted. Then I taped the newly placed button to stay for curing.

The red buttons on my 63 leather upholstery kept coming off. Well I used epoxy to reattach the button. The button is not coming off. None of the buttons come off, now.

Later Gator 🐊 

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

I think so but I couldn’t find the numbers that go along with the Buick trim code, should be 618 for the black cloth.  It won’t cost you anything to ask for samples of a few different ones that might be close.  Who knows, a sample might give you enough material to cover your button.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rockable said:

Like this. The button is stuck through the fabric and the retainer captures it.

331.jpeg

That’s new to me and kooks like it works but, how can this retainer determine the depth of the button which creates the tuft AND to install the button/retainer you still need to remove the cover from the cushion to connect them.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, Rockable said:

The tuft is formed by layering and sewing through sew foam. In my case, we are installing new seat covers. The buttons will be installed before putting the seat covers on the frame.

That’s the only way I can imagine getting any tufting. Just putting a button on the surface would not accomplish that.

6465riv.jpg

This is an image from Clark's website. You see the the seams have created the raised portion of the seat cover (tuft?) The factory simply snapped those buttons in and they were ready for installation. They didn't hand tie each button like you'd have to do with the looped ones.

I think those 2-piece upholstered buttons are available (without the fabric) from multiple sources (e.g., furniture upholstery supply).  Find the right size and then steal a snippet of fabric from somewhere it won't be noticed.  (Maybe pull the lower back seat cushion and snip a piece from the margin underneath where it isn't needed.)  Then you can try assembling the new button front (with the fabric) to your existing button back.  In a perfect world, it could be snapped/crimped back together, however, likely it will be just different enough to require it be glued (2-part epoxy) together instead as @Seafoam65 suggested.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought I should follow up with the outcome of my button issue.  I found the correct material for the seats at SMS Auto Fabrics.  They were very helpful.  Just FYI, you can also order custom-made buttons from them as well.  I went ahead and ordered some extra fabric just in case I ever need it.

In my case, I have a local upholstery shop in my town (Pearson and Marzian Inc., in Louisville, KY) that could make the buttons and install them in the seat. They have been around since the 1930s and do great work.  Since I already had the fabric when I arrived, the whole process took about an hour from start to finish.  

Here are a few photos of the before and after, and a photo of the upholstery shop making the 22 ligne (size) buttons for the front seat.  The cost was $40 buck.    Thanks to all for the help!!!

IMG_9303.JPG.e2c24c72960d562a022e3a944508df8a.JPG

IMG_9292.JPG.38ed114b772d8db80c2af79f33d282a0.JPG

F1BEBC2E-470E-4126-8894-21E.jpg.2ecc79e2829b771ab6413e2d7a9813b2.jpg

Edited by ericisback (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2