Cleaning floor board rubber

Mike, just be careful that the product you choose is not something "slippery". Once you get it on your shoes and transfer it to your brake and clutch pads it can be problematic. One of the club members detailed his car for a show and used something on his gas, brake and clutch pedal rubbers that made them very slippery and eventually had to remove them and clean them with a solvent.

On 9/7/2023 at 10:19 AM, 46 woodie said:

Mike, just be careful that the product you choose is not something "slippery". Once you get it on your shoes and transfer it to your brake and clutch pads it can be problematic. One of the club members detailed his car for a show and used something on his gas, brake and clutch pedal rubbers that made them very slippery and eventually had to remove them and clean them with a solvent.

^THIS!^  I once made the mistake of putting Armor All on the rubber mats in my modern truck - shined real pretty but boy, was it slick until it wore off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

^THIS!^  I once made the mistake of putting Armor All on the rubber mats in my modern truck - shined real pretty but boy, was it slick until it wore off.

I think just about everyone at some point has done it. 

I have done quite a bit of searching and from what I have found is just dish soap and a good brush. Followed by a good rinse. There are sealers for rubber floors available. I don’t know if that will keep them looking cleaner longer or not. Mike

• Like 1

Try scrubbing bubbles spray bathroom cleaner. Since my nephew told me about it, I use it on all white tires, grey tires black floor mats and any surface including my tile showers and counter tops. Will not damage any rubber I have used it on. Suggest you try a small area  1st

just sayin,

brasscarguy

• Like 2

Which scrubbing bubbles though?

For most of my life, that referred to Dow Bathroom cleaner "with scrubbing bubbles!", a cleaner with some amazing capabilities, one of which was the ability to remove ball point pen ink. Last year I went to buy some, and at the store I saw 6 or more completely different products with "scrubbing bubbles" on the label. None of them were from Dow Chemical. Apparently they sold the trademark to someone else. I think it was SC Johnson, but I can't be sure. They had a scrubbing bubbles website and contact form, so I emailed them to find out which one of the many products was the old "scrubbing bubbles" formula. They could not answer the question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Bloo said:

Which scrubbing bubbles though?

They could not answer the question.

... Or, they chose not to answer ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

I think just about everyone at some point has done it. 

I have done quite a bit of searching and from what I have found is just dish soap and a good brush. Followed by a good rinse. There are sealers for rubber floors available. I don’t know if that will keep them looking cleaner longer or not. Mike

Thing is, rubber is dull in appearance and tends to dry out and get brittle.  Products like Armor All shine it (which admittedly may not be authentic) and supposedly helps keep it pliable.  Slickness seems to be somewhat dependent on the "tread" of a mat.  The ones in my truck are fairly smooth.  OTOH, our Model A had a pattern with some depth to it and slickness wasn't a problem.

• Like 1