What is this finish called so I can ask the right questions?

MotiveLensPhoto

1973 Buick Riviera GS

The trim around the tail lights is flaking off (has been for a while). It's not chrome, and i don't think it's paint. Need to get it restored, since finding replacements is impossible (I've looked). The photos look better than what is now. Finish is flaking off like lead paint used to. What is this finish called and what questions should I ask a prospective restorer?

20230726_120336.jpg

20230726_120331.jpg

The taillight pieces you point out are plastic. Depending on carline, trim like that is either painted or in case of your Riviera it's more likely vacuum chrome plated. Carmakers were starting to use that process on exterior trim by early 1970s. Accent colors such as the red are painted onto that.

Similar process to model car chrome pieces but more durable.

I'd keep searching for NOS or good used taillights. They may not come cheap but I think they'll be less expensive than having the plastic chrome redone.

Worst case, scuff them smooth and use a chrome paint till you can find better.

• Like 1

I'll add that the "chrome" on plastic isn't chrome, it's vacuum-deposited aluminum. Yes, I am aware that there are vendors who actually do put real chrome on plastic by first vacuum depositing a conductive layer. That is not what is on factory plastic parts.

• Like 1

There is a thread about 'hydrochome", could that be used for something like this?  There is not much chrome on my trans am (thankfully) but the few places where it is present is on the plastic stuff. I used a silver leaf marking pen from the craft store and it worked pretty good. Of course its only around trim on a couple of dash pieces. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I'd keep searching for NOS or good used taillights. They may not come cheap but I think they'll be less expensive than having the plastic chrome redone.

Been looking for these for nearly a year with no luck. Trying to keep the car as close to original as possible, so given the light assembly is nearly impossible to replace with anything better, I might as well get the original redone.

Looks like hydrochrome is what I need to search for.

Is the look supposed to be black or “chrome”?

3 hours ago, MotiveLensPhoto said:

Been looking for these for nearly a year with no luck. 

I looked for NOS roof ornaments for a 1964 Oldsmobile Starfire for thirteen years before I found them. Then I found two sets at the same swap meet.

Stuff's out there. Just a matter of patience, time and circumstance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I looked for NOS roof ornaments for a 1964 Oldsmobile Starfire for thirteen years before I found them. Then I found two sets at the same swap meet.

Stuff's out there. Just a matter of patience, time and circumstance.

No argument. I'm choosing to go this route unless I find the replacement.

I just came across a business card that I'd copied some time ago. I have not used this vendor, but they restore "plating" on plastic parts. And no, I have no idea why the forum software rotated the image. The file on my computer displays right side up.

https://vacuumorna-metal.com/content/restoration

67210529_10217862517333531_198041689342869504_n.jpg.a7c1556660432711bbaea1830bb65e36.jpg

• Like 1

Is it copper color on the underside?  If so, it was originally electroplated, using powdered copper as the conductor onto the plastic.

if its thin chrome, its a Physical Vapor Dispostion applied aluminum using vacuum as others have stated.  

I believe most exterior plastic chrome like grilles, etc., are electroplated.

Craig

3 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Is it copper color on the underside?  If so, it was originally electroplated, using powdered copper as the conductor onto the plastic.

if its thin chrome, its a Physical Vapor Dispostion applied aluminum using vacuum as others have stated.  

I believe most exterior plastic chrome like grilles, etc., are electroplated.

Craig

Unfortunately all the exterior "plated" plastic parts I've seen from the 1960s-80s are VDA (vacuum deposited aluminum). There's nothing under the aluminum when it peels off.

I would say "fortunately" for you :lol:. While I am not doubting your assessment of this Buick chrome as vacuum deposited aluminum, metallic chrome over plastic is a fairly common thing. It is truly awful stuff, and Ford products are full of it. It is as thick as you would expect chrome to be, and it peels like a cheaply plated bumper. When it does, it leaves sharp edges and a step. It feels bad, and might even cut your finger. Vacuum deposited aluminum on the other hand just powders off exposing the beige plastic underneath.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bloo said:

Metallic chrome over plastic is a fairly common thing. It is truly awful stuff, and Ford products are full of it. It is as thick as you would expect chrome to be, and it peels like a cheaply plated bumper. When it does, it leaves sharp edges and a step. It feels bad, and might even cut your finger. 

What causes it to peel away is usually temperature extremes as the metallic chrome and the plastic underneath expand and contract at different rates.  Metal responds faster than plastic, and being thin, it will wrinkle, delaminate, then ultimately peel away from the plastic base, creating those sharp edges.   On the other hand, PVD applied aluminum is soft, oxidizes over time, (especially at the rear of the car with exhaust gases present.), and being so thinly applied, impossible to polish and maintain like real chrome.

Craig

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JACK M said:

Last time I priced chroming some plastic parts I didn't think it was worth it.

These are usually small parts (usually unnoticed) and look OK  painted.

I have 1 quote so far, and it's over $4500 for the 3 pieces I need done. I might just paint the tail lights if I can't find replacements. There's a parts seller in Oklahoma that I believe has stock, but I don't know price or condition. At least I know what I'm not doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1