There is hope for the hobby!

3macboys

I will preface this with by my sons have the benefit of both both families being car people.  Too often I think people go down the rabbit hole about the future of the hobby but I think too often we loose sight of the true interest of the youth.  @TerryB has a son who works for Tesla but clearly has an interest in the past based on the pictures that he sends to his dad from the west coast.  No doubt there are are many more.  My eldest spent several years drag racing a 1981 Chev Malibu and while now currently employed with the Canadian Armed Forces he still has an interest in the cars, my middle son is always playing with 60's to 70's mopeds and motorcycles and my youngest who is just going into 2nd year at university studying Kinesiology just sent me this picture for an 80's  square body GM pickup clearly shows me we are in good hands.  And one last thought - please some one else buy this truck before my son bugs me some more!

IMG_20230827_232950[1].jpg

Edited by 3macboys (see edit history)
  • Like 7

My son and several of his fellow Tesla engineers attended all kinds of auto events with both old cars and newer models.  They may not be interested in the same era cars as people here but their interest is strong none the less.  This weekend my son sent me a ton of pics of the vintage race cars running around the track at Laguna Seca during Monterey car week plus he sent me several picks of a beautifully restored shoebox era Ford woody.  Apparently as we see here too there is a strong interest by the younger crowd in the GM 80s square body pick trucks too.  As the “ older generation” we just need to be tolerant of the different tastes than ours and be glad the interest continues on.

The Ford woody Saturday at the Mt View CA bagel shop

C3370941-EE7C-4949-A285-371741EB767D.jpeg

ED46D90F-64A4-4A17-A5E5-B26D40A59318.jpeg

• Like 5

Glad to see someone has strong genetics.  I don't think my oldest son could change a tire and the youngest son can't stop gaming on his computer.  I do see car interest in the 14 y/o triplet grandsons which I will try to promote.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, TerryB said:

As the “ older generation” we just need to be tolerant of the different tastes than ours and be glad the interest continues on.

This is true but we can all perhaps foster and interest in earlier cars by encouraging conversation as to their design, styling, what materials they were made of. Compare the body construction to that of a house - wood framework then clad in an outer coat of steel/aluminum/cloth  where houses were clad in wood, masonry, vinyl, etc. Mention you would like to show/discuss this - what wood was used structurally and how it was different from the decorative wood inside. No decals, painted grains, self adhesive grains nor plastic "look a like." Discuss the craftsmanship - the art all designed by pencil, paper, erasers. no computer generated anything, unless you consider a slide rule a computer. As a former teacher of art, there are questions I know that would arose curiosity and interest if the "student" even knew what to ask. Lead the way and it will open an appreciation of what has taken place in the past.

At one time I was that young guy who was asking questions - fortunately was interested in design early on and the history of same. Was blessed to be able to talk to fellows  then in their mid-to-late 70s when I was in my early 20s that were "there then"... people like the Chief Engineer for Franklin, Carl Doman ( who would figure out the tip to leave when paying for lunch on the slide rule he carried in his pants pocket), Bill Mitchell, Tom Hibbard (Hibbard & Darrin) , Rudy Creteur (Rollston), even Hugo Pfau.

It is all about perspective - ones view of design, history of same, what materials were available at the era to create what was done, etc.

I have original wood models of assorted sizes that were created 70 to 100 years ago for automobile styling to see it in three-dimensional form.  No clay, no view on a screen done by advanced electronics of key tapping.

• Like 3

Interest in something and desire to own it can be two different circles that have a degree of overlapping each other.  Very early cars are a curiosity to many but the desire to own one can be a tough sell to most.  A few might turn that curiosity into ownership.  Personally I enjoy seeing early cars but when it comes to ownership my interests begin in the mid 1930s and up.  Just how it is I guess.  To keep interest up takes some efforts too by owners who don’t mind telling the public about their cars and what makes them special.

• Like 3

On 8/28/2023 at 8:30 AM, TAKerry said:

Kinesiology- Had to look that one up!

Being the prime funder of his education I'm just hoping that he ends up in a position to look after me in my old age.  It's actually quite interesting listening to him as he translates his mechanical knowledge into his medical knowledge and mechanism of injury, not what you really think of from an 18 yr old.  Actually all three boys have an understanding of cars that any project has moved from being teaching to being collaborative.   

• Like 3

My interest in 1908 - 1912 or so cars has nothing to do with styling . I find the construction of cars of this time frame most interesting. Machines in the true sense of the word. Once Ford really got going with Model T mass production all the other makers had to more or less follow suit. Castings gave way to steel pressings riveted or spot welded together and a certain amount of design elegance was lost. Then a few years later the whole styling cycle became a major influence on sales , rather than the underlying quality of mechanical design and construction.

In my opinion something was lost over the years.

But I still am drawn to post war British sports cars. A great combination of looks and function. Jag XK series cars, MGA's, Morgans and so many other less common makes and models. Early Mustang GT's also have their place in my world. Funny, I could afford a reasonably nice one in High School, but not these days. Really enjoyed my 1966 Fastback as a teenager.  I just can't see paying $30,000 - $40,000 for a mass produced pony car. But that is what they all seem to go in recent years.

• Like 1

Thanks Mac, that's encouraging to see...

Some of you may relate to this. I've always enjoyed the psychological aspect to foresight, meaning, even as a young kid I always had a natural sense (a game within my mind of sorts) of what would eventually become a classic and always patiently watched to see how right I was over the years. 

Being born in 1963 around the summer of 69 when my uncle came home from Vietnam I remember the old cars parked along the front of the house for his homecoming, all different makes and models from the mid 1930s, 40s, and 60s models. Strangely I don't recall any 1950s models except for a 59 Caddy with HUGE fins (gorgeous black car btw). Remember, when your a kid growing up in the 60s nobody cares what you're doing or where you're playing so you can wander around cars at eye level and really take it all in at your own pace... that's when I first started noticing the early 1960s trucks and late 60s styling between the Chevys, and I personally appreciated the 68 styling on that day and still own one. Is it a coincidence that they have such a following even still? Maybe, but I doubt it, they've proven they have always had an instant following (although my passion is 1928-32 era I can still appreciate what drives folks to enjoy other eras).

In the same way, I owned a 77 Chevy 1/2 ton and it ran like a top. I couldn't help but think how someone (not me, it wasn't my passion regarding styling) would appreciate these trucks in the future. Then came the 80s and I seen that little square body styling in the Nissan and S10 and the light weight divisions and felt they too would have a following in the future. Thats the last time I remember instant classic trucks being truly affordable. The following decades all had there own instant classics, but again, the 80s was the last time you could get something on the cheap. I suppose that goes for most anything looking back...

Now an instant classic is a $100k Hellcat

A proven case (in my opinion) of how the technological advancements have helped dilute the pure interest for the average guy in a middle income bracket and possibly what pushes most of us into the more affordable "project" category.

It's great to see some of the younger generation of today (I've met quite a few in the past few years) who really appreciate the 80s square bodies. Most are doing a bangup job on keeping them in non lowrider condition as well (which is always encouraging). I can't speak to car bodies after 1972 as I believe they are in a sub-category of blahness...(other than when they brought back the muscle cars recently).

Personally I'd like to see more pics of the truck, especially if it's a SWB.

Dave

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 2:24 PM, Walt G said:

who would figure out the tip to leave when paying for lunch on the slide rule he carried in his pants pocket

I was tossed out of high school math class many times for using my circular slide rule. Now you’re not allowed in without a computer!

• Like 3

On 8/28/2023 at 12:38 PM, TerryB said:

Very early cars are a curiosity to many but the desire to own one can be a tough sell to most.  

So true, which is why it's important for us to continue showing patience and encouragement in order to close that deal someday (maybe even later in life when we aren't here). We can't turn on the lightbulb for most of them, we can only share why it's important to preserve the history (lest the light goes out forever). I dare say that as they get older most will appreciate this truth and will be the ones encouraging the next generation. 

Sure, I'd like to see more of them showing an interest in the 1920s and 30s, but if it takes encouraging them to enjoy what they like and not what I/WE want then maybe that is the only secret to laying the foundation for them to look beyond they're current interests whether it's 1980s or modern foreign cars. I've personally watched my own son go through those changes and his appreciation has grown immensely into other areas I never thought he would enjoy (1960s and 70s are his interest now, specifically the mid 1960s GTO). As Robert S mentioned, my son was a huge gamer at one point and I never thought he would care to know how to change a tire, but now that he's around 40... the lightbulb came on (in the last decade sometime) and he is the one provoking conversations with questions of automotive history. I'm confident when I get closer to finishing my 30 panel his appreciation and desire to look at other eras will expand once again as he gets behind the wheel. I just hope I'm here to witness it.

As we are patient other things come to light such as, I never knew my son cared to draw until this year. He said he doesn't, this was his first attempt at anything artistic freehand.  I was shocked because he just randomly picked something from the internet he thought was cool not knowing that this logo was only used on certain Dodge trucks in 1929 & 30, my panel being one of them. 

image.png.7fc411b24b495bd5fdbf5607f7bcc634.png

image.png.892dbf68ea8ce637580eccb1fa03d6a3.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2