For Sale: 1949 Chrysler Windsor Traveler - "Remarkably good condition," Mostly original - Pottsville, PA - Not Mine - 8/24 Pending - 8/26 SOLD!

For sale on Facebook: 1949 Chrysler Windsor Traveler 4-door Sedan in Pottsville, PA  -  $12,500  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

On 8/24, Seller reduced price to $12,000

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/845376747193949/-1949-Chrysler-Traveler

Seller's Description:

1949 Chrysler Windsor Traveler 4-door Sedan

• Driven 83,067 miles
  • Manual transmission
  • Exterior color: Brown · Interior color: Brown

I am listing this 1949 (first series- aka leftover 1948) Chrysler Traveler for my uncle Mike who is not Facebook savvy. We have had this car in the collection for over 20 years and it is in remarkably good original condition. The paint is original with the exception of the rear fenders which were professionally repainted due to paint defects from the sun. The original paint presents exceptionally well but does have some chips and scuffs. The interior is also in very nice original shape and features an absolutely beautiful dashboard which Chrysler was known for during this era. Mechanically the car was gone through about 12 years ago and was just recently on a 4 hour road-trip with no issues whatsoever. The car has its original flathead 6 cylinder engine, Fluid Drive transmission, and 6 volt electrical system. An electric fuel pump was added to the car over the years. If anyone would like further information on the car please message me and I will happily get you in touch with my uncle.

image.png.4206c47dcb21345a80abb32f72f054c1.png

image.png.03395c4d50dab1c1aa079433c0dc5f75.png

image.png.5199176014d98043f3b1336be22a7d06.png

image.png.75298a1a1c5b391b5a23ba9491794672.png

image.png.c691f3bc55feb49cbc44344b8f00407e.png

image.png.3924da0dc3823d7eeecf88c3f439be06.png

image.png.e4ec8f77d3a0772fc8b418a2793942cc.png

image.png.6f59e4712a1bb4b48dcb4917aedc5819.png

image.png.3774930ae9552a12fd1862def236271a.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If you would like to know a lot more about this Chrysler Traveler, it was featured on a My Classic Car episode with Dennis Gage about two years ago. One way to see it is to watch it on YouTube under "1949 Chrysler Windsor Traveler owned and driven by a young guy!" 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

What a wonderfully preserved original!  Even the fragile dash plastic is in good condition.  The heavy vinyl Chrysler used to upholster the Chrysler Windsor Travelers and DeSoto Suburbans was a coated cloth-backed material that was extremely durable.  When we walked junkyards that still held these cars years ago, when we'd find one, I would always check the condition of the upholstery.  Other than being dirty, they rarely showed signs of wear, looked like a good cleaning would do the job to restore them.  The car itself was usually pretty weathered and rough, but the upholstery was still good.  Concurrent and later Kaiser and Frazer Travelers and Vagabonds had similarly durable vinyl interiors.  Later on, the 1952-56 Mercury hardtops and station wagons seemed to employ the same quality vinyl as these Mopars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1949 Chrysler Windsor Traveler - "Remarkably good condition," Mostly original - Pottsville, PA - Not Mine

What a cool car, appropriately named and attractively priced. The interior needs a good cleaning for sure! However what happened to the engine area?  The routing of the heater hoses is either a bizarre design or someone just "made it work".  But I do like the car...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deac said:

What a cool car, appropriately named and attractively priced. The interior needs a good cleaning for sure! However what happened to the engine area?  The routing of the heater hoses is either a bizarre design or someone just "made it work".  But I do like the car...

That heater hose hookup is "making it work."  Originally there were 90* molded hoses connected to tubing laid widthwise against the firewall for inlet and outlet circuits.  There were individual heaters for driver and passenger sides, with air flow coming out vents in each kick panel.  In the 1960s I had two DeSoto Suburbans so equipped, and molded hoses of that size were not readily available in the aftermarket.  I went to a dozen different Chry/DeS dealer parts departments to find the four molded hoses I needed for one car.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I have always enjoyed cleaning up an original car including its engine compartment. Just by the photos, I want so bad to get my bottle of diesel, rags and nitrile gloves and "wash down" that firewall. Afterwards I'm sure it can be waxed! IT NEEDS IT.
But not so much that I'm willing to purchase another car!
  • Like 3

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1949 Chrysler Windsor Traveler - "Remarkably good condition," Mostly original - Pottsville, PA - Not Mine - 8/24 Pending
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1949 Chrysler Windsor Traveler - "Remarkably good condition," Mostly original - Pottsville, PA - Not Mine - 8/24 Pending - 8/26 SOLD!