Thoughts and ideas on a garage lift

Having run into a burning building once, back when I was 20, I can say.....NEVER EVER DO IT, I was young and foolish. But often times in a garage a small fire takes a minute or two to get cooking, so having a gravity removal system is an easy thing to accomplish when building new. I'm in Florida now, but my two neighbors have clickers and codes to the pads to open the doors. the chock blocks have a rope attached so you can actually pull the block from outside without entering the garage. My slope is enough to have the car roll without even pulling on it. When I built my home, I had a 1914 Cadillac.....the ultimate catch on fire and burn your house down accessory..........I also have smoke, co2, and rate of temperature change sensors in the garage. Since it's attached to my house, we did triple sheet rock with seam sealer to be sure that a major fire would put flame or smoke into the living area if there was a fire. Yes, I'm nuts. 

You never, ever have enough fire extinguishers......I use Halon and the new fire sticks.   

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If I build the new garage it will be cold storage/parking only, at least until my son inherits it all and has other plans, I have a heated shop if I can get a finished project or two out of the way. I plan a slight slope to drain water but also considered a drain into gravel.  The problem I had in a much colder climate a few garages ago that had some heat was the snow melted off and ran to the door and would freeze the door shut. 

The door won't freeze shut as long as there is some heat in the garage. I built my house so the chimney goes through the garage. A 1200 sq space  stays above 32 degrees without any direct heat. A trick I learned from a brick layer.

• Like 2

It tends to get cold where I live, in all my years I think maybe once the door bottom froze. Not really an issue. 

I put a heater in my garage just because, still havent hooked it up🤪

Moms house is a slab on grade with the oil furnace room in an adjacent area to the garage. The furnace itself creates a good bit of heat when running, plus pop put in a vent to the garage which keeps it at room temp year round. Even on the coldest days the garage is about 50 degs.

11 hours ago, edinmass said:

The door won't freeze shut as long as there is some heat in the garage. I built my house so the chimney goes through the garage. A 1200 sq space  stays above 32 degrees without any direct heat. A trick I learned from a brick layer.

Mine froze a few times in our old location, not much heat in the garage when I wasn't out there and vey cold on the floor by the door at times. Always happened when we were in a hurry. Finally solved the problem by not parking daily drivers in the garage, at least that. is what I told my wife was the reason 🙂. Should not be a problem at the current location, plus when it gets that cold or snowy here we stay home.

Hudson Valley NY temps - freestanding 36X24 2Bay+shop door on slab . closed in ceiling added insul above and Mobile Home 'Miller 80' hot air furnace hangs on wall. Oil drum/tank and recycled old Wayne compressor piped thru garage from overhang behind garage also for grinding- cutting machines.  Cold season a timer for heat turns on @ 15 min's 4 times a day keeps it above freezing. Heats to working temps in minutes.

got the Bendpak 4 Post for retirement and notched ceiling - collar tied and plated a vault for cars on lift between OH door rails. Bendpak has pneumatic release system handy around garages with kids etc. 

IMG-6046.jpg . IMG-6043.jpg 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, powerband said:

Bendpak has pneumatic release system handy around garages with kids etc. 

When I was shopping for my lift I saw that as a disadvantage, given that I only have a portable compressor that isn't plumbed permanently.  The mechanical locks on my 4-post Direct Lift can't be released unless the platform is first raised slightly to remove the weight from the locking tangs.  The controls are ~5 feet above the floor, so a small child won't activate the pump without someone noticing.

solved the problem by not parking daily drivers in the garage, at least that. is what I told my wife was the reason

Compromised on un-attached garage and leave one bay available in winter conditions for wifes car. It's the caked salty slush I can't stand! - in garage as it melts to a fine corrosive dust.

Once car is nasty,  banned to carports and I will clean off instead !!

IMG-2115.jpg

This started with a question about which lift to choose and looks to be covering everything you want in the ultimate garage. 

So lets make a list.  

* size  (unlimited)

* at least 2 lifts    a 4 post and a 2 post. 

* heat and if you live in the south A/C

* good lighting

* lots of storage

* a inside wash rack with drain

* needs an office and/or place for clean quiet conversation

* a toilet,  refrigerator, TV,  internet connection

optional... soft music and a place to take a nap

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

This started with a question about which lift to choose and looks to be covering everything you want in the ultimate garage. 

So lets make a list.  

* size  (unlimited)

* good lighting

* lots of storage

Thats not the ultimate garage, that sounds like a place I would call home!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/8/2023 at 9:29 AM, EmTee said:

I have really had no insurmountable undercar access issues with my 4-post Direct Lift.

EmTee, the only headache I have is getting tires off and on the rear axle (s) of 63 Riv and 64 Impala. When I stay with stock tires Im ok. When I want to put on oversize 17” wheels things get complicated with the 2 ramp lift i have. I got the sliding jack and recently figured out how to jack the car up at the axle then put jack stands underneath the frame let the car down. It becomes workable. I got a 9000 lb Challenger from the gent that sells and installs. The key is not who or where our products are made it is the specific specifications of the goods. It is hard to review the specs when you do not know what is  a good spec and what is not acceptable. Unfortunately, on some tools and equipment we touch and feel the quality. Others not so easy. For instance car wheels are hard for me to figure out what is good what is not so good. 
stay well

Turbinator

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 8:58 AM, Barney Eaton said:

So lets make a list.  

* size  (unlimited)

* good lighting

* lots of storage

Add to that list a clean room to be used for engine building and also a partitioned off (or separate) location for a big air compressor so you don't hear the compressor running in the garage. Nothing more annoying than having to listen to a big air compressor kicking on and off all the time.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

and also a partitioned off (or separate) location for a big air compressor so you don't hear the compressor running in the garage. Nothing more annoying than having to listen to a big air compressor kicking on and off all the time.

Amen.

But plan for a way to drain it easy. Maybe a solenoid valve or something, depending on how inaccessible it is. If you tuck it too far away or in a difficult spot, you will forget to drain it.

• Like 1

A friend of the family had a small machine shop and his large compressor was in a little shed attached to the back of the shop, no access from inside. To further keep things quiet, he had the largest air tank I ever saw on the compressor, it appeared to be around 200 gallon or more. For normal air use around the shop the compressor almost never ran.  I picked up a couple of 75 lb LP tanks that I had plan to do something similar with and never got around to that project. I gave them to a friend when we moved and he finished the job I wanted to do. He says it works great.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Turbinator said:

It is hard to review the specs when you do not know what is  a good spec and what is not acceptable.

ALI certification was one of my lift 'must haves'.  It at least provides an objective 'apples-to-apples' criterion for comparison.  As Turbinator noted, another item on my list was local installation and support.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 9:55 AM, EmTee said:

local installation and support.

In my not so humble opinion talking to the seller/installer of my lift gave me a comfortable feeling I had a good person/selling/doing the work.

im not clairvoyant so “reading” people is something we learn as we go along. The man did a great job. The seller/installer made a long trip to be there to show me some basic stuff I missed on how to operate the thing. i compensated him more than adequately for his time and gasoline for his trip. He smiled real big.

Later Gator

PS Clean orderly set up you have in your garage.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 10:26 PM, Rick_Seaman said:

walk around like some C pillar lifts do.  

Rick, truth known I dont know what C pillars are. Ill tell you I know Im jumpy around things that could be dangerous. I learned real quick Id feel better with my 4 poster bolted through my concrete floor. No more “ walking”.

Thank you for your input.

Turbinator

If "C pillar" refers to the cross-section of the 4-post leg sections, then my 4-post Direct Lift falls into that category.  All I can say is that I had my lift installed in 2018 and I marked the floor where each leg stood.  When I look at the floor today I can verify that nothing has moved.  My lift is sitting on a level, 5" fiber-reinforced concrete floor.

On 4/14/2024 at 12:32 PM, EmTee said:

I can verify that nothing has moved.  My lift is sitting on a level, 5" fiber-reinforced concrete floor.

EmTee, i had my Riv on my 4 poster Challenger 9000 lb capacity. I had not secured the 4 posts to the concreteflitr rebar reinforced to the foor.

I was struggling with something under the car and the lift wiggled. I stopped work that minute and got a drill motor, concrete drill bit and hardware to secure the 4 posts. I specified 4500lb concrete when i had the garage built. My hammer drill motor wasnt quite up to the job, but I persisted. No more wiggle.