FOR SALE 1972 CITREON DS SEDAN-NORTHERN VA-$22K OBO

PLEASE PUT NAME AND PHONE NUMBER IN RESPONSE /PM OR OTHERWISE I WON'T RESPOND. I DON'T TEXT. NO SCAMMERS. 105K MILES, CAR WAS ON WEST COAST FOR MANY YEARS.  PREVIOUS OWNERS WERE ALL CITROEN ENTHUSIASTS/CLUB MEMBERS. 4 NEW SPHERES AND REAR BOOTS, RECENT TUNE UP, VALVES ADJUSTED, NEW VALVE COVER GASKET, OIL CHANGE AND FILTER, CHASSIS GREASED. 4 SPEED. CLOTH INTERIOR. EXTERIOR MIRRORS, DOOR HANDLES AND HEADLINER REPLACED IN 2021.OLDER REPAINT IN 90'S NEW GREEN FLUID CHANGED AND SYSTEM BLED. CLUTCH AND DRIVELINE PULLS GOOD. NO SMOKE. RUNS OUT WELL. STRONG  WELL CARED FOR NO. 3 CAR. SOME SPARE PARTS. CALL/EMAIL FOR MORE INFO AND PICTURES. NO TRADES. CAR IS 30 MILES WEST OF DC. 703-966-8422

citroen DS 1972.jpg

IMG_9024.JPG

IMG_9025.JPG

IMG_9026.JPG

IMG_9039.JPG

IMG_9040.JPG

citroen under hood shot.jpg

citroen under hood tools holder.jpg

citroen under hood tools.jpg

Edited by bullrun
ADDITIONAL PHOTOS REQUEST (see edit history)
  • Like 2

It would be fun to own one of these for a month or so just to see what they are about. If I remember correctly Charles De Gaulle was able to get away from an assassination attempt in one of these. After that he would only travel in a Citreon. 

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

It would be nice to see the other pictures in that ad.

Here's the link, but there's no more info or pictures.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/manassas-1072-citroen-ds-id/7655637483.html

email - 8bf4cf4bd69f3aca81a1820cba505d13@sale.craigslist.org

phone: (703) 966-8422

Edited by Crusty Trucker (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fossil said:

It would be fun to own one of these for a month or so just to see what they are about. If I remember correctly Charles De Gaulle was able to get away from an assassination attempt in one of these. After that he would only travel in a Citreon. 

These are GREAT road cars, I’ve owned a couple.  Hydraulic/gas suspension (takes the place of springs and shock absorbers) gives a smooth ride over the roughest roads, variable speed steering makes it nice on the highway (the faster one goes, the less power assist to steering), super comfortable seating. Citromatic transmission, shift with a flick of a finger, mushroom button for a brake pedal, put your foot on it and just think about stopping, needle valve opens and applies hydraulics to brakes.

Different engineering than Americans are used to, so many think they’re weird, but the French know how to build a comfortable car….and one thing that kept it from being popular in the US was lack of service facilities, and a shadetree mechanic just scratches his head at these.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rocketraider said:

That would be the biggest downside to owning one outside of a few metro areas-   finding anyone qualified to service it.

Incorrect. The biggest downside is how butt ugly it looks. If my dog looked like that, I’d shave his a— and teach him to walk backwards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

Incorrect. The biggest downside is how butt ugly it looks. If my dog looked like that, I’d shave his a— and teach him to walk backwards.

Here is a better angle of mine, be careful you may fall in love with it. Especially if you go for a ride in one, nothing like it ever made...😉

noname1.jpg.b920686858338e07359ffa4fbf5c34b2.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, maok said:

Here is a better angle of mine, be careful you may fall in love with it. Especially if you go for a ride in one, nothing like it ever made...😉

noname1.jpg.b920686858338e07359ffa4fbf5c34b2.jpg

Absolutely! These are incredible automobiles.  Show me a contemporary American sedan that is anywhere near as aerodynamic, handles as well and is as comfortable as these are.

The thought that went into them is mind blowing.  Both rear fenders can be removed in less than a minute by one person ( 1 bolt), all four doors each require loosening a lock nut, unscrewing a ball stud a few turns and they come off.  The front fenders each have two bolts.  Total time for all of this about an hour.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

M'sieur, you av eensult zee Goddess! En garde!🗼🤺

The French made interesting and advanced cars, but when they tried peddling them in North America, they overlooked a critical detail. They didn't send along trained service people to fix them, or parts to fix them with.

We'll overlook the Renault Dauphine's total incompatibility with American roads and driving habits. A DS was in its element there, but still... when there was no one to fix it when it broke, and no parts to fix it either?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

M'sieur, you av eensult zee Goddess! En garde!🗼🤺

The French made interesting and advanced cars, but when they tried peddling them in North America, they overlooked a critical detail. They didn't send along trained service people to fix them, or parts to fix them with.

We'll overlook the Renault Dauphine's total incompatibility with American roads and driving habits. A DS was in its element there, but still... when there was no one to fix it when it broke, and no parts to fix it either?

Not quite true.  I worked at Vancouver  British Columbia's Citroen dealership in the late 60s.  It was literally a hole in the wall, but it boasted 2 fully qualified Citroen mechanics.  It was the only Citroen dealership in the entire province and was privately owned.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2023 at 4:45 AM, George Smolinski said:

George, maybe take it down a notch ?

- someday you may get to appreciate the real beauty, as well as superior safety designed in instead of tacked on or excessively slathered on.

I've owned 9 Citroens, driven them hundreds of thousands of miles, 

had my life saved by one of our DS-21 Citroens when a full size '70 Mercury hit me head-on when we were both travelling highway speed  and he turned in front of me -

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,

and when you spend a bit more time studying the fine lines,

you come to appreciate the elegant, smooth, aerodynamic safety of the DS (Dee-Ess means Deity) Goddess.

We also had an exceptional dealer (Overseas Motors - previously Import Auto Sales) here in New Orleans.

Beyond sales, their Service was absolutely top notch and continued well beyond Citroen withdrawing from US sales. (Citroen chose not to modify the automatic leveling design to accommodate federal bumper height standards on their DS and SM models).

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dictator27 said:

They didn't send along trained service people to fix them, or parts to fix them with.

7 hours ago, dictator27 said:

Not quite true.  I worked at Vancouver  British Columbia's Citroen dealership in the late 60s... It was the only Citroen dealership in the entire province and was privately owned.

As the prosecuting attorney says at the end of the trial, "I rest my case".

4 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Pictured above, we have the very stylish French auto in question. Pictured below, we have two American made autos. You may find it difficult to decide which exudes more style and class, the Frenchy, or one of the Americans. 

72 Cad.jpg

72 electra.jpg

Honestly George I don't find it difficult at all.  No offense to you sir, but I will take the Citroen hands down.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, dictator27 said:

Absolutely! These are incredible automobiles.  Show me a contemporary American sedan that is anywhere near as aerodynamic, handles as well and is as comfortable as these are.

The thought that went into them is mind blowing.  Both rear fenders can be removed in less than a minute by one person ( 1 bolt), all four doors each require loosening a lock nut, unscrewing a ball stud a few turns and they come off.  The front fenders each have two bolts.  Total time for all of this about an hour.

Also, no jack was needed to change a tire.  Raise the car to maximum height, insert stand, lower car, wheel comes off ground.

Also, one could drive car on level ground with one rear wheel completely off.  I won a bet once when a guy didn’t believe me, bet me fifty bucks I was wrong, easy money!

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

Also, no jack was needed to change a tire.  Raise the car to maximum height, insert stand, lower car, wheel comes off ground.

Also, one could drive car on level ground with one rear wheel completely off.  I won a bet once when a guy didn’t believe me, bet me fifty bucks I was wrong, easy money!

Additional features which were designed in:

https://citroenvie.com/why-citroens-steerable-headlights-were-banned-from-north-america/

Headlights (not allowed by US but standard around the world) were self leveling and the high beam would turn side-to-side with the steering wheel to "See Around the Corner"

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Angelfish said:

Yup, I want one one.

I’ve owned about 200 cars in my life.  If someone told me I had to drive coast to coast and back, I could choose any car I wanted for the trip, a DS19 or DS 21 would be at the top of the list.

All I can suggest is, looks aside,if you EVER get a chance to drive one, do it…..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

I’ve owned about 200 cars in my life.  If someone told me I had to drive coast to coast and back, I could choose any car I wanted for the trip, a DS19 or DS 21 would be at the top of the list.

All I can suggest is, looks aside,if you EVER get a chance to drive one, do it…..

Well, I've ridden in one.  When I was about 5 years old my Dad had 2 of them, one that ran and was in pretty good shape.  I remember going around the block and down a dirt two tracker with the suspension up.   He can't remember which specific model.  They're long gone now.   I also got a ride in a friend's Jaguar MK I at age two.  That car sadly has been scrapped but I am in possession of the engine and transmission out of it. 

On 8/19/2023 at 9:06 PM, Marty Roth said:

George, maybe take it down a notch ?

- someday you may get to appreciate the real beauty, as well as superior safety designed in instead of tacked on or excessively slathered on.

I've owned 9 Citroens, driven them hundreds of thousands of miles, 

had my life saved by one of our DS-21 Citroens when a full size '70 Mercury hit me head-on when we were both travelling highway speed  and he turned in front of me -

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,

and when you spend a bit more time studying the fine lines,

you come to appreciate the elegant, smooth, aerodynamic safety of the DS (Dee-Ess means Deity) Goddess.

We also had an exceptional dealer (Overseas Motors - previously Import Auto Sales) here in New Orleans.

Beyond sales, their Service was absolutely top notch and continued well beyond Citroen withdrawing from US sales. (Citroen chose not to modify the automatic leveling design to accommodate federal bumper height standards on their DS and SM models).

I won't dispute the arguments for the comfort, engineering, and innovation of the car, like the turning headlight. (Didn't a Mr. Tucker have that same idea?) And, I can't compare the ride to that of the early 70's GM land yachts because I haven't driven or ridden in the Frenchy. I have owned and driven several of the land yachts and I can say with the full frame, weight, soft suspension, and power steering at that time, it was like riding on a cloud, plus I think a 7 footer could fit comfortably in one with the leg room they had.

What I am saying is perhaps they could have put all the marvelous attributes of the Citroen into a little better looking package (Look at the 2 photos I posted of the Cad and Electra & then look at the Citroen.)

Here's one more Citroen for you with a little different body.

May be an image of van and text

• Like 1

It's a French car. You can't possibly think they'd get everything right! They couldn't even decide who's side they were on during WWII. 😄

I understand they make a good tank though. 

image.jpeg.634165b9b5018a7a4c0c5ccfbf488f80.jpeg

• Like 1