tell me why in the world nobody makes a 6 volt power pack to jump start a 6 volt system?

Eddie-O

6 volt can work beautiful but if there is any problem it can make your life miserable which is why a 6v box would be handy.  A problem with a generator and you can make it back on a charged battery but you need a 6v charger.  Parts stores can rapid charge a 12v.  Starting can be a problem with a low battery regardless whether a short or simple light was left on.  Maybe a headlight goes out, parts replacement for 12v is there.  Touring with a club there are others to help but if you are out on your own without any support the best option really is

21 hours ago, Grimy said:

. . . carrying an extra 18-lb non-spillable Optima is the most practical solution.

While I might not go the optima route this IS the most logical solution as it covers more than just starting the car if the battery is low.

14 minutes ago, swab said:

I guess I have been working with different vehicles.  Mechanical gauges, pre radio, vacuum wipers.  Although on the 38 I did have electric gauges but I would have to go back and look but either they work almost great on 12v or I used a step down.  The only reason they don't work great is due to the backlighting hard to see at night but the bulbs are brighter 12v than 6v!

If it's working for you, great. My 6v stuff works great. I see no reason to change. As for the dash lights, they are probably intentionally dim so your eyes won't adjust to them and you can see better at night. Later on, the manufacturers put a dimmer in, and you could run them brighter if you wanted to. The older folks all still seemed to run the dash lights so dim you could barely tell they were on. The idea of not making your eyes adjust to over-bright gauges seems to be forgotten in recent years. You see a lot of bright white and orange scales in newer models.

• Like 1

37 Special,

I checked out that jump starter “Blue Fuel” from NAPA and it looks like it May be what I’m looking for. Do you or anyone on the forum know if this is capable for starting straight 8’s ie. 41 248 engine? Like I’ve said, I’m no electrical engineer so I don’t know if the specs are safe and capable without hurting my electrical system. Any advice would be appreciated guys or gals. THANKS

1 hour ago, Eddie-O said:

37 Special,

I checked out that jump starter “Blue Fuel” from NAPA and it looks like it May be what I’m looking for. Do you or anyone on the forum know if this is capable for starting straight 8’s ie. 41 248 engine? Like I’ve said, I’m no electrical engineer so I don’t know if the specs are safe and capable without hurting my electrical system. Any advice would be appreciated guys or gals. THANKS

I don't know but their description would seem to indicate that it will not be adequate to start your car. Their description includes, "Jump Starter Great For Power Sports, Motorcycles & 4-6 Cylinder Cars"

I think the easiest thing to do is the Optima battery. Make a carrying handle out of a couple of yards of duct tape. Put tape over one of the terminals so it doesn't accidentally short against something and put it in the trunk with jumper cables. About the same size as a jumper pack and maybe a bit heavier but lots more stored energy. You will have to charge every few months but you would have to do that with a jumper pack as well.

Free advice, worth every cent

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing wrong with my starter or electrical system. Just thought it would be a good item to have on hand for both myself and anyone who needed help. Couldn’t understand why there were none made like a 12 volt pack to avoid damage to a 6 volt system using a 12 volt jumper. Didn’t think it was a dumb question however I promise not to ask any more DUMB questions from you rocket scientists!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Eddie-O said:

Nothing wrong with my starter or electrical system. Just thought it would be a good item to have on hand for both myself and anyone who needed help. Couldn’t understand why there were none made like a 12 volt pack to avoid damage to a 6 volt system using a 12 volt jumper. Didn’t think it was a dumb question however I promise not to ask any more DUMB questions from you rocket scientists!

It's not a dumb question. In fact, the only reason I know about $800 6V Belgian jumper packs being sold in France, or what might go into making one, is because I asked the same questions you did.

5 hours ago, Eddie-O said:

I don't think he was saying you were asking a dumb question. I think he was saying that he had a dumb question... I might agree with him 😊, as your post was quite clear that you were looking for a way to jump start 6 volt cars easily. There was never any indication that you had any problem with your starter or electrical system. 

I wouldn't jump my car from another car or a battery. I would have AAA flatbed my car home first. Then I would remove the battery, charge it, and start the car as intended.

When my daughter first started driving I was worried about someone talking her into hooking up a set of cables and damaging her car. I bought her a jump box that she kept in the trunk and I kept an eye on. I told her her car was not able to be used for jumping (like I told her and my wife the sunroofs wouldn't open). Her car, the '65 Buick Electra, always started fine. The couple of times a friend needed a jump she opened the trunk and appeared to be the savvy heroine of the moment.

• Like 1

I can picture Eddie-O, sitting there TOPLESS, after losing his life’s savings on this venture, on a burned charred Hawaii beach, with singed chest hairs, wondering aloud, “ “ Why oh why didn’t I just invest in “ pet rocks “ instead ??? “

Sorry — I am N O T making fun of the Hawaii wildfires…..

• 3 weeks later...

The NAPA unit reportedly available in Canada, is NLA. They have the same unit here, but strictly 12 volt.  This is unfortunate as it is exactly what I have been trying to locate.  Hard to believe, especially with the ready availability of lithium ion batteries with dense storage capabilities.